Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

MatthewPK's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

This reminds me quite a bit of Himalaya - with a twist. It may just as well be vice versa if it weren't for the fact that I tried Himalaya first. I get the initial ozone effect here, too. It's good, and so I'll give it a thumbs up, just not outstanding, meaning that it wouldn't be my first choice from Creed.

MatthewPK's avatar

Love In White by Creed

Oh. Now this is lovely. Beautiful. Gorgeous, actually. It "smells" like a wedding to me (more so for the bride than the groom). Others will give you the notes, but it's extremely well-balanced IMHO. If a women were to ask me what perfume to wear on her wedding day, I would tell her that there's no way she could go wrong with this. "Perfect" may not be perfect all of the time, but if there were any exception, this would be it.

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Bijan was the first fragrance I owned and was it was given to me when I was about 13 years old (back in the late 80's)
    The scent was great on me until I got around people who smoked. When that happened, something between my body chemistry and the blend in the fragrance turned and I ended up smelling (I'm not kidding) like an outhouse. It was horrible! I had it for about 2 years and even though I loved the fragrance, I couldn't take a chance on it turning again.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

It's always a great fall back to have when you don't want anything too heavy. I make sure to always keep a bottle on hand.

154 by Jo Malone

I LOVE IT! One of the best Christmas gifts ever!

Elan D'Orange by Hove Parfumeur

Deep and strong orange notes bring this fragrance to life. Another scent that is rare and not well known from this store in New Orleans.

El Capitan by Hove Parfumeur

It reminds me of a sweet rum drink that you can only find in the south (New Orleans, Bahamas, etc). The scent lasts for a long time. Another little gem that I found that I don't share with my friends. They all want to know where I got it and I tell them it was discovered in a little store somewhere in the South.

Rue Royale by Hove Parfumeur

I find it to be a powdery and floral fresh scent

Imperatrice by Hove Parfumeur

Fresh and light, like all of Hove fragrances, it's perfect for blending with other scents from their line.

Nicholas I by Hove Parfumeur

If it's possible to describe something as smooth and peppery, this would be it.

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

I love the rare and odd scent. I love the ones that you can put on in the morning and when you get home late at night, the scent still goes strong. It's bold and makes a statement and it's my little secret among my friends. I won't tell them what it is; I like having something all to my own.

This isn't for the person who doesn't wish to be noticed. Trust me, you will be noticed with Black Afgano and the impression will last.

Primrose's avatar

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Ambre Russe starts off with a blast of boozy vodka, heading towards a middle blend of sweet tea, tobacco and leather. The finish is a wonderful amber scent mingled with vanilla.

It is compared with Le Dandy EDT in its booziness, tobacco and leather, although Le Dandy is now reformulated in an EDP, so this might be different.

Sillage and longevity of Ambre Russe are wonderful. Even after 6 hours, I can still smell this on my skin. (Although the sillage is greatly reduced.)

24th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 03rd January, 2011)

knit at nite's avatar

La Môme by Pierre Balmain

La Mome is a scent I find myself craving. The rose, myrrh and amber notes dominate on my skin. I bought La Mome blind as I have had good luck with the Balmain frags- I did not find out about the Edith Piaf connection until later. Different from the green and clean scents in the Balmain line, La Mome is equally well crafted, and averaging around $35 US for 100 ml online, the price point is terrific.
    La Mome is an oriental that doesn't shout, is womanly without dowdiness, and has a retro feel without drying down to powder. It's grand scent in the cold- I don't think it will do so well in the heat of summer, but when that season gets here, I'll test it out anyway. Longevity on me is about 6 hours and sillage is moderate.

Edited to add- I found LaMome just as pleasant in summer.

24th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 29th April, 2011)

scentsitivity's avatar

Private Collection - Cedre Sandaraque by Parfumerie Generale

Sandarac is a resin obtained from the small coniferous tree Tetraclinis articulata, native to the northwest of Africa. I have never smelled the raw material, nor am I aware of its use in any other fragrance. What Cedre Sandaraque reminds me of is scent I have not smelled in many years: sassafras tea. An unusual ‘woody gourmand’; I would not wear it myself, but perhaps it would smell good on someone else.

paul's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

When this first came out it was very unusual. It is now ubiquitous and the principal note that made it so different has been discovered by Axe/Lynx. THey are not as well done but you smell them a lot and this devalues this frag for me. But it has to be a thumbs up for being first

25th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th August, 2010)

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Another interesting creation from a maison that likes to go beyond and make fragrances that seems inspired in the real world but through an abstract way. Bois Farine is all about the wood and the peanut to me, and this combination, sugary, soft, doughy, makes me think of children`s parties here in Brazil. There`s a candy here, called Cajuzinho, that is made of peanut and decorated by a little cashew slice at top. The peanut dough of Cajuzinho is covered with icing sugar, and the smell that linger on your fingers after you eat one of these sweets is the same that Bois Farine has - a light, sugarish, peanut smell. Bois Farine goes on me after the peanut doughy smell on a light woody and resinous side, but what a fun opening this one has! It has a relaxed, innocent, happy smell to me, easy to wear and to enjoy.

cheryl's avatar

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

This is a confounding perfume. I would describe it either as a "skanky rose" or a animalic chypre. To my nose, it does not resemble Bal a Versaille in approach. BaV is all purrr and nice kitty...this is bold. For some reason I'm thinking lots of mascara and a big black leather purse with fringe. I don't get patchouli. I do get roses and honey and lots of civet. It is nearly acrid...a vivid bright red skin tight short dress (maybe a leather dress). I have no idea what to think.
    This perfume seems to be saying SOMETHING about sex. I see both "cheap" and "sensual" in the comments of others. This is where it gets confounding. Maybe you bring your own baggage/illusions into this perfume. I'm winging it here~maybe it smells bold (look at me) AND illicit (honeyed civet). I wouldn't dare wear this out of the house. But--pretty interesting ride.

analyticphilosopher's avatar

Poland Poland

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

My father used to have a hazelnut orchard. When I was in my teens every october we picked them from wet, mossy and leaf-covered ground. Then we pared them in the basement, dried them and put them in nice plastic orange sacks for storage. Oftentimes me and my dad were getting cold and wet while working and when back home we warmed ourselves with hot sweet tea or broth cooked with some herbs and home-grown vegetables. This is the first scent I found which reminds me of those days so vividly and explicitly. And of home, and home-related memories and fall.

On me I get two prominent notes, licorice and honey which fade a bit to the end, plus woods and hazelnut nicely rounding and smoothing the composition out and staying on skin a little longer. For more accurate description of notes read previous reviews, as i am still far from being capable of distinguishing and naming them myself. I don't get any "wolf" and "wet fur" connotations and have no idea who and why came up with the idea for the name of this fragrance. Licorice/honey middle accord reminds me at times of chewed out mint gum but the wood and hazelnut undertones somehow warm and tame that accord and keep these associations away.

I'm (finally) in love and i am getting a bottle. Thumbs all the way up.

Zut's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Zirh Ikon reminds me of Malizia Uomo Vetyver (but a little smokier) and Dunhill Edition (but not as woody). I love the scent but this edt is so light I could almost use it as after-shave. It would definitely be a keeper for me if it had better staying power. This is unfortunate. It is such a nice fragrance.

Bigsly's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

This was the first fragrance I actually liked, back in the 80s, though I had no idea why. I guess I thought it was special in some way. Sampling it again, after a lot of experience with different fragrances, my first thought is that it's dry and harsh. I get no sweetness or softness here. That's for an hour or so. Then there's just about nothing there. Perhaps it's olfactory fatigue. Whatever it is, I don't really enjoy it, and the first hour is nothing special, just a little different and not especially pleasant, though "natural" enough. I can understand someone who likes the "power frags" but doesn't want any sweetness in the base (honey, vanilla, heliotrope, tonka, amber, etc.) of at least one of them enjoying this once in a while, but I have yet to reach that point. Because I can't smell much after an hour or so, I can't give this a positive rating.

Bigsly's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

A bit sweet and the herbal/"medicinal" accord prevails. Where is the oud here? I don't really care, because it's just so boring. If I want medicinal/herbal I'll reach for Green Jeans, which also has pine and much more interesting. If I want an oud oriental I'll reach for the original M7. If this was trying to be somewhere in between those two types of fragrances, then my comment would be "I have no need for such a fragrance." Whenever I think of a bland fragrance, this one is the first to come to mind. I'll give it a neutral because it's not a "bad" fragrance, and perhaps someone will enjoy it as a safe office fragrance. However, my choices for office/school fragrances are Higher or even Cuba Green.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Vanisia by Creed

Created for a spanish queen this smells expensive ,classic. Woody , amber powdery ,sweet with vanilla and floral all at once.Subtle but lasting. Beautiful . I could wax lyrical about this perfume for some time ...but I won't. It's simply an exquisite 'french' classic.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Calyx by Prescriptives

I tried Calyx at Macy's and I instantly loved it. Mind blowingly fruity-green and somewhat sweet. It's just incredibly likeable ,fresh and clean smelling. Memorable.

Theasylph's avatar

Majestic by Boadicea the Victorious

green, pungent, shrill were my notes. I really disliked this.

Theasylph's avatar

Complex by Boadicea the Victorious

Smells like something you would pour into your car to make it explode. Not something I would want on my body ever again.

msveronica9's avatar

Benetroessere Raving by Etro

To my nose this is a lighter, creamier version of Kenzo's Jungle L'Elephant. Nice.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Molecule 02 by Escentric Molecules

I've put off writing this review in the hope of acquiring a clearer understanding of this fragrance. Unfortunately after repeated attempts I didn't get that much further. MOLECULE 02 has a quiet albeit fizzy cedar-tinged start and settles down into a warm mildly woodsy skin scent. I don't really smell anything in the sillage even when I flail my wrists about in the air.

If I have to describe it in one word it will be: ELUSIVE. Sometimes I appreciate its artistry and enjoy the warm glow it imparts on my skin. At other times, I'm just left frustrated with its somewhat shy and retiring nature. I think I'll pass.

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

A Grandma scent Huumph! Well maybe . My Grams has a mini of WD as well as the others D&R,D&E,D&S and a full set of Black Pearls too but she never seems to wear them .They and channel#5,and Youth Dew adorn her dressertop while she wears Ombre Rose (powdery soft floral) or Today (discontinued Mary Kay scent soft citrus)I like WD but as with many 80's perfumes you wear as a true perfume NOT as you would a cologne (many late 90's ,oo's seem so light their strength/projection is more like a cologne splash of vintage times) WhiteDiamonds is a bit citrus/soapy/powder topnotes melding with honey sweet florals over a soft musk.

Amber Romance by Victoria's Secret

This is one of six small sprays I bought as a set this has an okay vanilla but I think the Black Cherry comes too close to Marachino to my taste .It seems more "chemically " than my Body Fantasy Vanilla or Bath& BodyWorks christmas Noel limited edition lotion that a friend wears.

Pure Seduction by Victoria's Secret

To me Pure Seduction smells rather like orange candy .It's nice when you're in the mood for a sweet orange -definitely better than PH Heiress but wildly mis-named as orange lifesaver candy doesn't really seem that seductive more schoolage (4 YRS)and up. Ilike it and may repurchase later.