Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Pear Glacé by Victoria's Secret

I recieved this in a VS variety and liked it the least of the six .Sweet pear was too candy-gourmand for my taste ,I prefer the duskier Berry Kiss.

pcrisp's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Completely horrible! I got a sample based on quite a few suggestions that this might be a sexy masculine scent. WRONG. Disgustingness abounds with this one. I can't hardly remember getting a negative comment (without asking what they thought) on any cologne that I have worn. With this, the females literally curled up their nose and asked what I was wearing. It reminds me of a very cheap cologne worn by an old lady from a third world country. Yes, I have experienced what that smells like, and this cologne is a winner if that's what you are going for. Disgusting and offensive to yourself and anyone around you. I tried it three times but it is so unappealing, I won't be giving it any more chances.

pcrisp's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Well, sometimes people's negative ratings can be just based on personal feelings, strange hate for a manufacturer, or a million other various reasons. However, with Terre d'Hermes I found quite a bit of the negative reviews to be DEAD ON. I did not realize this until I sampled the product after reading all the negative reviews. Instantly upon application, all those reviews came back strong and clear. Dirt, slight bit of pine, and a whole lot of tomato vine smell. YUCK!!! After a while it dries down to smell EXACTLY like one of those pine tree air fresheners for a car. Weird, and absolutely nowhere close to being a sexy or enticing masculine cologne. Nothing but negative response on behalf of the females. The opening is so blah and yuck with the dirt and absolutely disgusting tomato vine smell that it's an instant turnoff. I gave it a shot a couple different times and every time, this thing is bad.

Thalia's avatar

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

The first few times I wore my spray sample of Nina, I liked it a lot because I was focused on the opening, which is crisp, sweet-tart, with dominant realistic apple notes and general feeling of fresh juiciness. Very pleasant indeed as an undemanding girly fragrance for a day when I don't want to think too much about my scent! And like everyone else, I love love love that bottle.

Recently, however, I spritzed Nina in the morning and realized its fatal flaw -- the late drydown is sweet, sweet, sweet caramel mingled with the sweetest sugary notes of apple juice, and it lingered forever. It was cloying and peristent and drew attention to itself relentlessly. I felt like a fairground caramel apple that had fallen off its stick into the sawdust and was baking in the sun. Far too sweet and candyish for me! If candy apple is what you want, this might just what you're looking for -- but it doesn't work for me.

pigasus27's avatar

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A very pleasant clean fragrance. Bright lemons and dry hay. Straightforward and great for when you don't care what you're wearing.

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Black Suede Touch by Avon

I'll admit that I'm a newcomer to the scent game, but I believe my enthusiasm has exposed me to many scents from the cheap/clearance bin to the uppity boutiques with French or Italian names.

After reading the three previous and only reviews of this manly scent I quickly went out and ordered a bottle.

After trying it on I thought to myself, "Can you wear this to anything other than a tuxedo/black tie event?"

Other scents out there smell "serious" but you feel you can still pull it off on some special casual events.
    Touch just seems like a very mature scent and if you are under 30 yrs. old and wearing this then you better carry yourself well. It lasts and if you're thinking "old" when I say "mature" then you're missing the point, intelligent, wordly women, I believe, can tell the difference.

vulcan's avatar

Nautica Classic by Nautica

I used to wear this, and have very good memories associated with it. It starts out fresh and floral, and finishes with a very nice softness. This is a wonderful fragrance.

fleure blanc's avatar

Ilaun by Burren Perfumery

I visited the Burren Perfumery in western Ireland last spring. I was enchanted by the oasis that is nestled in the massive limestone outcropping that is the Burren. All kinds of wildflowers, some very rare that only grow there, were in bloom and the damp air smelled amazing. I was delighted that the scents I sampled captured the essence of the place. Ilaun is a light floral with a green freshness that lingers on the dry down. I detect a note of jasmine in the heart as well as the notes listed above. I would not call this a unisex fragrance, it is very feminine. It is a nice scent for warm weather, floral, fresh, not cloying. It reminds me of Ireland without the cheesy tag line of Irish Spring soap! It smells like spring in the countryside I actually visited.

nMo's avatar

Romance by Ralph Lauren

I bought a set yesterday and in the Indian heat a full-on aftershave splash plus half a dozen sprays on my body and yet... nothing, nada, zilch.

Take a pass on this one folks.

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

LouLou by Cacharel

LouLou is a unique scent.My best oriental vanilla-incense based perfume.I use this fragrance since it was launched!It has great sillage and longevity.
    It is sharp when first applied but it calms to a very nice powdery and spicy aroma!
    I smell cinnamon,tuberose,iris,violet,jasmine and lily in it!
    It is feminine ,classical and irresistible!

25th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 28th September, 2012)

Swanky's avatar

Derby by Guerlain

A great fragrance. This strikes me as the offspring of Arpege Pour Femme and Knize Ten. It is quite soft and floral but with a smoky tone that is very appealing. This definitely harks back to a more formal time - this is far more appropriate for a tux or suit than for sweats and tank tops to be sure. Sillage is not domineering but it does have 6-plus hours of longevity though muted. It sits close to you like your shadow but you keep catching wafts to remind you it's there. Very nice.

This is my all-time favorite and may never be supplanted. Derby is probably the reference masculine chypre.

25th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 28th March, 2013)

zztopp's avatar

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Previously a supposedly great green-mossy classic, Nina (2006) is resurrected as a demure floral fruity/gourmand stripped off its greatness by Olivier Cresp and Jacques Cavallier. That it once again takes two great perfumers to pump out a decent but hardly unique girl juice for the young 'uns market is astounding ... Cavallier could have scribbled this formula in his sleep with Cresp laying on the couch making small talk.

The lemon and lime top notes are pleasant enough, leading to the supposed distinctive character of Nina.. a gourmand slush of apple-infused vanilla and soft florals, with the basenotes bringing about a cedary more vanilla infused candy-floss fun. It smells decent if unspectacular...the apple note isn't as well done as in Creed's Spring Flower, and the whole apple-toffee-woods thing is more alluring in DKNY's Red Delicious Men. Plus this overload of vanilla in recent fruity-florals is now getting on my nerves (cue the recent Dior vanilla hacks). Somebody out there please limit the dose of vanilla in such fragrances before we all suffer death by vanilla. Other than all these gripes, Nina should make a decent gift for the high school crowd and the bottle is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Rating: 6.5/10.0

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Watermelon and Black Pepper
    Light and Friendly Chic.

Oviatt's avatar

21 Club by 21 Club

I bought a bottle of this years ago at the 21 Club and really liked it--very similar to Bois du Portugal. I used up the bottle ages ago but was pleased to find a stash at Marshall's a few years ago and bought them all--have been giving them out as gifts ever since and now I am down to one bottle myself. It definitely has the powerful old school vibe that is 21--it is like standing at the panelled bar on the ground floor with a good scotch in front of you and gorgous food being carried by on trays. Good stuff.

Tony T's avatar

Clean Men by Clean

a bit tart(ruby red grapefruit and that's it . no sillage or longevity. up their with gendarme!!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Interlude by Frances Denney

This is in the vein of vintage Youth Dew in its Oriental richness and density. Even the the juice is as dark as vintage Youth Dew. The notes (from Perfume Intellegence) are listed as, Orange flower, Bergamot, rose, jasmine, patchouli, musk and myrrh. This starts out a lot like Youth Dew, but as it dries down it seems to veer into a kind of soapy/smoky patchouly/oakmoss place that reminds me less of Youth Dew and more of a vintage scent like Replique. I find it very dark, mysterious and romantic. If you like dense Orientals like Opium, Youth Dew, Shalimar or Emeraude, and the basenotes of scents like vintage Replique and Crepe de Chine, you may really like this. This can be found cheaply and regularly on ebay. The sillage is equal to all of the Orientals I mentioned and this could work for a man or a woman, especially in the drydown.

cleo cupcake's avatar

Max Mara by Max Mara

One of the most 'edible' fragrances I have ever encountered! An uncanny redintion of a lemon custard tart - initially charming, it is delicious and wearable for a while - but the sweetness gradually becomes a lemon icing that sets the teeth on edge.

tabbakh's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

The only good thing about Reaction is the top notes which almost immediately vanished. All that was left was a generic synthetic nightmare.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Straight away a warm ,rounded fragrance ,almost almost gourmand in deliciousness but not sweet.
    Whole ripe sweet figgy fruit ,hints of green-the almond coconut comes through with the fig from the start.Hints of dried furit just help this lovely scent along its way.Slightly smokey too,gorgoeus sandalwood drydown just enhances this fig experience.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Il Tuo Tulipano by Hilde Soliani Profumi

Notes of bergamot, blackberry, lime, peach, kiwi, and passion fruit, freesia, lily of the valley, and jasmine, vetiver, sandal, oak moss, and white musk.

You first olfactory experience with this is joy and happiness. It's like experiencing a joyful high. It's a high on ripe ,sweet fruit, lots of peach ,not much lime- not synthetic fruit but real fruit in a bowl ,waiting to be eaten.Delicious,slightly honeyed,dripping. A fruit cocktail .
    The bottle is fugly and red red- reminds me of Popeye's wife Olive Oyl- I don't know why .

msveronica9's avatar

Blu by Bulgari

A fresh, citrus/ginger scent which smells quite lovely for about 5 minutes, then becomes a bit too aqua-synthetic for my taste. Would be nicer on a man.

Primrose's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I have a confession: of all the classic lavender scents I have tried (Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, Caron Le Troisieme Homme, D'Orsay Arome Trois), I love the vanilla drydown that is most impressive with Pour Un Homme.

The lavender/citrus opening hits hard but warms down to a gentle lavender floral with vanilla predominating. This is not for those who dislike vanilla, and I reach for Pour Un Homme when I want more vanilla and less fougere, fern or civet.

Ginger Essence by Origins

The one to go to for a wake-up call. Fresh ginger, freshly grated so it has the sharp lemony tang - wow! So refreshing.

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

Feminine and comforting - the heliotrope is responsible for the luxuriously comforting quality, I think. Lasts very well and doesn't overpower the wearer or the people around them. A truly charming fragrance.

Inis by Fragrances of Ireland

Fresh and refreshing - another great scent for reviving a flagging soul on a sultry day. Very well-priced too. A trip to the seaside when you can't take time off!

Lily & Spice by Penhaligon's

This was one of the first Penhaligon's fragrances that I took to immediately. The spices balance and also enhance the richness of the lily scent. Very moreish. (I must compare with Donna Karan Gold.)

Lime, Mandarin and Vetiver by Tesco

It is very good. Softest citrus and gentle woody/musky base, with good longevity as it fades and mellows and softens but never disappears. An absolute bargain for a summer scent.

Dorian Gray's avatar

Geisha Hana-Cha by Aroma M

Its strong, but reminiscent of something I cant put my finger on. Starts with a loud floral blast and does seem to go through various changes. At one point it seemed to swerve in and out of a Tsar/ Bmen phase and toy with leather and oil but just when I started to like it, the jasmine turned a little screechy. It lingered a long time but sadly in a harsh way.

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Calypso Marine by Calypso Christiane Celle

This is my best AQUATIC!
    Why?
    * Because the notes are composed to perfection. Nothing gets too sharp, as often happens with aquatic notes/perfumes.
    * Because it's a niche perfume, you wont smell it "everywhere".
    * Very Good lasting power

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Smiley by Smiley Beauty

SMILEY EDT: First a the sensation of fresh orange-peels, bergamot-peels, & pink grapefruit-peels sliced of the fruit in thin, thin slices (like the way you do when you slice citrus-fruit for a cake, or decoration for it). It brightens up my mood totally. After 20min the freshness settles, & SMILEY among *with the sweetened citrusfuit-peels still there* turns into a Mitsouko edp-Gourmand without the moss and slight "harshness" Mitsouku has. Yes it's true !! Really amazing is what this is. After 30min you get a slight hint of freshly cut open cocoa fruit (like the fesh cocoa-note that Jo Malones "Blue Agava and Cacao" has.) In the end myrrh, musk and a woody patchouli comes into the picture (but not harsh overwhelming patchouli, just perfectly enough). I'm amazed!