Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

First impression: How did I get in this green grass field surrounded by vanilla clouds ?

Versatile, Fresh, Complex, Green, High Quality Fragrance. Worth addition to my humble collection.

Rating: ***** (5 out of 5 stars)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

Vow!!!
    This is Sheer Luxury !!!
    1 spray in your chest will last all day...
    Fantastic !!!

BayKAT's avatar

Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe

I grew up in south-central Minne"soe"ta, where the culture is heavily Scandinavian (as is my heritage). There we put our groceries in a 'bayg' and finish as many sentences as we can with 'you know'.

For the most part we speak softly, and therefore there is a certain group of Americans whose speech we find rather 'grating'. I won't say who, but they tend to talk too loud, too much, and without properly pronunciating their 'R's'.

Midnight Violet opens in a similar fashion-it’s a little grating. It stays this way for over two hours before reluctantly settling down and becoming a better conversationalist. This is when I get the warmer, earthier woody tones, which to my nose smells like orris root. It seems like the more time you spend with this the better it gets (you could say it ‘wears’ on you). The sharp, woody florals during the drydown are downright endearing; but it can't compensate for the persisten off-note that keeps this fragrance from finding its rhythm.

This is not a bad violet; it’s just not one I fell in love with. I think it would be better if the supporting notes were less loud, you know?

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Clean, dirty, dirtier. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Antaeus, KOUROS. WARNING. DANGER OF ADDICTION!

Angel by Thierry Mugler

The star-shaped bottle is very gorgeous, I admit. But the name does not suit this obnoxious fragrance at all. It should be called Demon of Glutton, for the only thing I can smell in the first 2 hours of spraying this is heavy vanilla biscuit soaked in alcohol. True, it's pretty yummy sniffing my wrist, but it's also completely overwhelming. This is one of those fragrances that, if it doesn't interact with the right body chemistry, will wear the wearer, instead of the other way around.

FCUK Her by French Connection

Love the name; love the actual fragrance even more! For all the possible eyebrows the name "FCUK Her" might have raised, they will be raised even higher upon smelling this gorgeous scent. It's the total, mindblowing opposite of the the name (which suggests something befitting a junior harlot). This is a timeless, classic fragrance that's strikingly reminiscient of Elizabeth Arden's Provocative Woman but with a sweeter floral base. A rich and sophisticated perfume: how I imagine how Versailles smelled like in Spring in the 18th century. Nothing sexy about this perfume, just effortlessly beautiful. And it lasts.

Princess by Vera Wang

Even though this scent is targeted to my age group (I'm 18) I find it to be a bit of a joke of a perfume. The bottle: heart-shaped... really, Vera? totally cheesy and ridiculous and reminds of something they sell in Disneyland gift shops. The fragrance: On wet it's cotton candy soaked in alcohol, on the drydown there's a nicer, almost yummy gourmand smell to it, but still too sweet for my liking. The lasting power is absolutely terrible. After about 20 minutes I can barely smell it unless I put my nose reallyy close to my wrist--on my neck, forget it.
    Overall, I don't hate Princess because at least it's not an obtrusive smell-me-before-you-see-me type of fragrance , but it's definitely not something I'll buy a full size bottle of either. This is a weak, generically sweet and almost "passive" perfume. Great if one's a sweet, super girly girl at heart. Not so much for anyone else.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

A classic for sure. I don't know how anyone could argue that this scent is dated. The name is a perfect example of the fragrance. Eternal. This smell brings back a lot of memories from high school. My dad gave me a bottle when I was 14 (this was my first cologne ever) and I loved the smell. I wore it everyday. Girls loved it and guys were jealous. Now that i'm in my mid twenties I probably wouldn't wear this but I sure do like to smell it from time to time to get that dejavu feeling again. Great fragrance.

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

It took me years to find my signature fragrance, but when I finally did, it was the day I bought Sung Homme. I can't do the scent justice so i'll be rather vague as to not insult it. Sung is a spicy citrus scent that has well above average silliage and projection. I smell this stuff on my shirts weeks later. Its not citrusy enough to be strictly summer, and its not spicy enough to be strictly winter. It is a the perfect combination and it thrives in any weather climate. Due to the great silliage you need to be careful to not over apply. For me, its usually 1 spritz on the chest and 1 on the middle of my neck. If I need to stand out or be noticed then I add 1 spritz to my hair, which by the way, smells amazing in hair.

Sure this stuff is old. Over 20 years. I'm only a couple years older then it. But I don't care. Its a timeless scent and i'm grateful its still in production. I know of no store that sells it, so its truly a scent no one else ever has or has even heard of. I am the only one i've ever met who wears it. You have to buy it online, and if you search enough, you can find a 3.4 for under 20 bucks. What a deal. This stuff truly is a hidden gem and I can't seem to get enough of it. Girls like it and always describe it to me as "sexy and masculine". Guys are often envious of it and ask me what i'm wearing but I don't give the name away. I want my hidden gem to stay hidden. This stuff will last on your skin easily 8 to 10 hours no problem. On clothing, weeks it seems.

I can't recommend this stuff enough. Well done Alfred Sung.

Che by Chevignon

The bottle is quite strange. Medal framing over the glass and no cap. Different I guess. Anyways, this is nothing new here. If you're familiar with izod's cologne then you've already smelled this. Very light and citrusy. Nice summer scent but wears close to the skin and longevity is nothing special. You can find it pretty cheap though so its worth a try if you liked izod.

Animale Azul by Animale Parfums

Pretty much a Cool Water clone. Azul is more fruity though. The longevity and silliage in my opinion, are about the same as Cool Water, possibly weaker. I don't recommend it because people will just assume you're wearing Cool Water most likely. The bottle is simple, but nice looking. The packaging is really what draws people in... Check out that box photo... The whole box is surrounded in a panoramic shot of the clear, blue sea and a beautiful sky. The scent matches it, but like I said, its VERY Cool Water smelling.

Animale Temptation Man by Animale Parfums

Honestly, this is a pleasent woody floral scent but the longevity is horrid. Maybe 1 to 2 hours if you're lucky. The silliage is extremely close to the skin. The adds for this stuff make it look ideal for romantic encounters, and I would have to agree because it doesn't last long enough to be good for anything else. Thumbs down. Check out Animale's Azul instead.

uxf's avatar

Insensé by Givenchy

I like the idea of a masculine floral but the aldehydes in this are so bright and intense I feel like I'm being subjected to the third degree. An entire box of Tide bursts out when I open the bottle. Once I get past that, I can appreciate some of the golden splendor of this thing but until then it's kind of rough going. I guess you can divide the world into aldehyde lovers and amber lovers (or more accurately, aldehyde haters and amber haters) and you can tell where I belong.

uxf's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

lavender + vanilla = Play-Doh? Does anyone else get this in the dry-down? Not that I knock it, though I wasn't one of the kids who wanted to eat Play-Doh ...

JDBIII's avatar

Tokyo by Kenzo

I love this fragrance. It is so delicate and sparse just like the traditional wood and paper houses of Japan. I can think of no other scent that sums up the minimalism of Japanese aesthetics so beautifully and succinctly. On my skin this perfume is filled with numerous subtle details that reveal themselves only with patience and attention. There is no sillage to speak of, but I have no problem with longevity with one squirt lasting for about six hours. This is definitely my favorite Kenzo so far.

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

Horribly sharp, soapy and aldehydic. Might be a musty green floral buried underneath somewhere...

Futur by Robert Piguet

Opens with a ton of aldehydes. I really don't like aldehydes. After all the aldehydes have faded, it's a warmly hesperidic/spicy fragrance, like a classier version of Old Spice.

Balsam by Agraria

Yum! Definitely the best fir tree scent I've smelt, beside the real thing: dark and deep and resinous and very close to nature, like walking in a coniferous wood, the black earth damp and strewn with pine needles. Some pine scents are fresher and greener, attempting to capture only the smell of new pine needles, but this is the entire woods, bark and sap and moss and lichen and earth and all.

Casbah by Florascent

Notes: mimosa, black tea, cardamom, Moroccan rose, spices, precious woods
    This opens with a lovely floral note which is deep, mysterious and not too sweet. Then the scent brightens up. Perhaps the tea is mint tea, which is popular in the Middle East. Perhaps the precious woods are in fact oud, which would add a compelling, bright note. This is not a heavy, opulent oriental; it is better understood as a spicy floral. I appreciate it.

Aqua Aromatica Lavande by Florascent

Notes: lavender, sage, thyme, rockrose, amber.
    The lavender is regrettably brief. At its peak it comes across as well-done: aromatic, dry, herbal, invigorating. It blends well with the other dry herbal notes. Unfortunately, the pleasant side does not last, and is replaced by a sort of metallic note. It reminds me a bit of violet leaf. The scent loses its dryness and gets slightly sweet. I have high expectations for a lavender scent, and this one fails to deliver what I'm seeking.

Aqua Aromatica Regia by Florascent

Notes: bergamot, lemon, neroli, rosemary, clary sage, cassis bud.
    This is intended to be a classic EDC (lemon and light herbs) which organically-minded people can choose. As such, this not re-inventing any wheels - it simply is intended to be that type of product for those sort of consumers. The opening notes are lovely, with lemon and orange blossom. The light herbs are enjoyable. The scent has roundness and some depth. As usual, it is short-lived, typical for a citrus scent and especially a natural one. A unisex scent.

Aqua Aromatica Thé Vert by Florascent

Notes: Chinese green tea, citrus, jasmine, osmanthus, cedar wood
    This is an aromatic green scent. Those notes are dusky and interesting. Certainly it evokes (among other things) a cup of cooled green tea. There is a sort of haunting note at work. The florals are not sweet, and perhaps could be more distinct - they come across as generic rather than specifically jasmine or osmanthus. I don't get a particular wood note. A unisex scent.

Aqua Aromatica Violetta by Florascent

Notes: Parma violet, iris rook, bergamot.
    I take marks off because the scent fails to deliver much in the way of a violet note. It is neither bright and piercing (the leaf) or soft, earthy and heady (the flower). The bergamot gives a fruity note, and the product notes claim that violet typically has a framboise (raspberry) character. Well, that's news to me. There is slightly tart character to this, the scent reminds me of a sour berry pie. At times, there appear to be pencil-shaving cedar notes. This is not an unpleasant scent, but I don't particularly care for it.

cheryl's avatar

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

I'm in the thumbs up camp. I fell in love with this one. It opens with a round luscious citrus cloud which on my skin does last far longer than other citrus scents I've tried. Humming along under the bright citrus is a delightful musky sage (?) (a reviewer below guessed) note. (It could be anise...but in no way is it a licorice note). To my nose, it's an indescribable note. These two dance with one another for a time in a light fast stepping romance. It's very uplifting. No idea about the name. Maybe AG was trying to go for "magical"...there's no darkness earthiness or witchcraft here. A great Springtime daytime "lift".

lilkcceleb's avatar

Ambra del Nepal by I Profumi di Firenze

This Is NOT Just For Women. Absolutely Love This Amber, Cardamom, And Vanilla Are Perfect In This! Beautiful Fragrance!

SirSlarty's avatar

Anathema by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This is a very rich smoky incense floral. Very smooth and silky... like a good whiskey. The floral smells like honeysuckle.. After a while, it's a dry incense and traces of sweet herbs. Dark... not something you'd wear everyday but a good smell. Just can't myself wearing this often.

SirSlarty's avatar

R'lyeh by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Named after the city where Cthulhu came from/resides(?). R'lyeh is an aquatic fragrance based one grapefruit combined with pine. It's also very, very salty. The total opposite of the fresh aquatics since it's thick and bold and wears more like a perfume more than a cologne for the masses.

Aznavour's avatar

Index Bergamot Citrus by Fresh

There's really nothing bad going on, but the thing is: it smells like something you'd clean your bathroom with.

Aznavour's avatar

Hesperides by Fresh

A nice realistic grapefruit, then segues about thirty minutes later into soap. Uncomplicated, friendly, and refreshing. Really nice for what it is, but still overpriced.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Parure by Guerlain

Parure may mean adornment of oneself with a jewelry suite but to me it means ' Guerlain Divine '. What others call musty top notes smell Guerlain perfumey to me with a rich old character to it - that is just the Guerlain signature all over . It's magnificent and beautiful. A chypre that rolls out on your skin , soft, turning powdery rose on my skin .The oakmoss is rich and deep. Perfume Poetry.
    It is heartbreaking that this is discontinued now.
    Thank you to Baykat for the precious sample !