Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Nausicaä's avatar

Norway Norway

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

This one you MUST try on skin. The jus' scent is rather sharp and probably off putting for some, but on skin it becomes a soft floral.
    It's very loud, and lasts for a long time (a bit like poison) so be careful with how much you test the first time ;)

Love Spell by Victoria's Secret

One of my favorites for a fruit cocktail fragrance Love Spell has a strong blast of juicy peach cherry muskiness and semi-tart apples it makes me recall baking cobbler with my Grams.Love Spell almost has a bit of a childrens chewable vitamin scent to it .I like it and I may rebuy eventually.

great_badir's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I should love it - lots of citrus, geranium and leather, hints of Eau Sauvage. But all I get is amber for about an hour and then it's gone. Like completely gone. I know I have a legit bottle, but I don't get any of the notes other reviews mention, the colour seems to be much darker than the stuff usually is, it's a splash not a spray and it doesn't smell to me like it's worth a lot more than it costs. It's too sweet, too fleeting and, price aside, too darn disappointing.

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

I like to explore all corners of the masterpiece notes in Fendi. Starting with top sharp & strong of citruses & herbal that can not be dealt. The middles & base so rich and complex with leather, flowers and patchouli. This is the monster to reveal the infinite. Although I have a reformulation, but this is very satisfying balancing of patchouli for me and very class. Absolutely for formal & special occasion and never over apply it

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

After get & wear Krizia for whole day. Go with 4 shoots (back, chest & neck) fantastic on strong & a little fresh of lavendar & pine. Going out from my house and go to my car parking. 2 gurl just asking me "what the fresh smell on u dude?". I just smile and say "this is my new scent that called Krizia" then the gurl say, "ohhh what the hell?"....ok after 30 minute Krizia develop musky, leathery and a hint of floral for the final drydown and last until evening. My sense only can describe the major of fresh pine musky leathery powerhouse.

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

Opening a blast of power gun remind me a lot of Quarom which burning my nose really powerfull. Aromatic style which develope a fresh synthetic, spicy pine, soapy & leathery/tobacco notes (also remind me on Polo Green but different character). When my body start sweating Sung has evolved characters all culminated with the smell of power to center. It's true Sung is great powerhouse that has a class of it's own line with huge powerhouse like VC&A PH, Quorum, Giorgio, Kouros & Oscar de la Renta pour Lui. Great and beautiful purple liquid that is secret weapon come out from nozzle. Sung more wearable than Quorum for office wear...

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Trussardi Uomo definetly a real powerhouse, Trussardi Uomo is the winner in my list as the darkest powerhouse. With complex & deep it make my throat pleasure with heavy of super masculine. High tone of leather, oakmoss, incense smoldering, patchouli, cedar for the base really well structure.

Once the liquid appear into air, it start with rich, luxurious dark, dry & smokey will take out all angle of a room. Bringing me to bright & clear way all pungent, sour throat because the smokey of incense, tobacco & leather burning together. Trust me dude it worth to sample if u like dark & agresif powerhouse.

Trussardi Uomo = Night of living dead

Dex87's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I think I finality found my scent after months of search.

MaatMama's avatar

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The scent of En Passant, for me, is longing.
    The scene: my college town, in the Pacific Northwest. It is 1989 and I am deep in unrequited love with a senior drama major who is soon to leave town, forever. It is late spring and lilac blooms on every front porch, scenting every stroll, every reflection, every passing impression. It is the scent of winter in remission, but it is also the scent of looming separation from potential joy and fulfillment--the scent of longing.
    En Passant, with its linear simplicity and versimilitude, reawakens that longing. It also ignites a longing in the 40 year old me for the life of the 20 year old me: longing reflected and amplified. It is beautiful in and of itself, and for what it evokes. Will I buy this and wear it?
    Perhaps not, but it succeeds nonetheless.

MatthewPK's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This one reminds me of Fahrenheit - or at least my memory of it, that is. I don't know if it was partly because of the color of the bottle, but Fahrenheit always made me think of iodine, of all things. I get a little of that with GIT, too. And I can see the comparison with Cool Water, as well. In any case, while good, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

MatthewPK's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

This is nice, but it reminds me too much of Irish Spring and/or Coast deodorant soaps.

Marshmellow's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men....What can I say, one of the most loved, and one of the most hated. I have to say I'm somewhere in the middle. Personally, I love the smell of it, it's daring, it's bold, as a fragrance by itself it is unique and interesting.

The problem starts when I had a little spray of A*Men on my skin and asked a friend to take a smell, she hated it, absolutely hated it. I attempted to convince her but she just refused to change her mind. I was in the car, my dad took a smell of the fragrance and just complained about the stench all the way home.

I am not going to go into the notes or the smell itself, it has been reviewed to death. I think you guys definitely can't do a blind-buy on this one, you HAVE to try it for yourself and decide if you like it. This is probably the MOST SUBJECTIVE fragrance in the mainstream market at the moment.

To me, I liked it. To others, it doesn't. Simple. If you think you can pull this fragrance off, go for it! If you don't give a hoot on others think of you when you're wearing A*Men, and you happen to like it, GO FOR IT! If you are dead concerned about the impression people will have on you when you wear A*Men, the risks are there.

To me personally, I like the fragrance. But I won't wear it out.

Patchouli-Pet's avatar

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

I adore Charlie! For the price, its incredibly long lasting. To me, Charlie is a classic fragrance. Charlie Blue is too sweet for me, and I haven't tried any of the other Charlies. The original Charlie from 1973 is the one I love!

mathias321's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

bottom line! this was inspired by music and marketed towardsthe young and effortless this is a great scent to wear very dynamic and powerful, young ladies love it im 23 i wear this ll the time ist lasts for about 6 hrs on my skin, get many compliments, most of you not liking it are probably old and its too youthful for the old sorry. cool sleek bottle too.! cheers!

LilyValley's avatar

Portfolio for Women by Perry Ellis

Pleasant enough, and a bargain price but nothing to rave about, good for just every day wear,

LilyValley's avatar

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

I purchased this when it first came out, very strong, linear, long lasting on me, nice fragrance for outdoors, could be too much if you are around a group of people or anyone sensetive to fragrance, fantastic on late summer days and cooler evenings. It "blooms" with gusto in the heat.

fraddicted's avatar

Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Never smelled it, but it's getting ready to be re-introduced! Let's wait and see what the results are, boys and girls!!

scentsitivity's avatar

Terre de Sarment by Frapin

A cousin to 1270, this feels much more earthy with a definite grape and tobacco vibe. Early in the development it feels dusty, nutty, and bitter and I find it unpleasant; it ruins it for me. Perhaps for someone else.

cheryl's avatar

Collection Homme Thé Brun by Jean-Charles Brosseau

This is strong and singular, a bit shocking. I get a leather impression from it. I have not smelled tea like this~ though I do drink Lapsang Souchong. I was unsure at first if I liked it. So I sprayed some on the shirts hanging in the man of the house's closet. That was good. Now I do like it. It's not an everyday. I like how unapologetic it is. It is dark. But not murky. It just means business.

chorando's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

I get a strong - and I must say not unpleasant - smell of pork sausages. On first sniff it smells exactly like bangers frying nicely in a pan. Of course not your generic cheap as chips banger more your herby apple chipolata - think here waitrose best instead of asda's own basics range. The heart has a slight caramelised onion tinge or is it body odour? For me Declaration is an interesting olfactory journey - pungent and redolent of morning rituals from cooking the breakfast to soapy smells associated with ablutions before setting off into the day. Good stuff - all I need now is Eau de Bacon and i'll be a happy camper for sure:0)

Sugandaraja's avatar

Tubéreuse by Caron

There's something eldritch about Caron's tuberose. If the cool serenity of Carnal Flower feels unapproachable at times, Tubereuse is downright uninviting. The lavish charm associated with the flower has been dessicated to a somber reserve. Mr. Fraysse has created a saturnine soliflore, to be sure...

The top notes are distinctly odd - a sugared, floral creaminess melded to an astringent green, violet leaf and a slight sharpness lending it a witch hazel tonic accord I've come across only once before, in Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Viridian. I also smell a mushroom note I recognize from Frederic Malle's Dans Tes Bras, but more natural and successfully integrated here. If all this sounds horrid and dissonant, it isn't quite so pronounced as you might imagine, as its sharp edges softened by a floral haze.

In the drydown, a little more of the flower itself comes through, but again, quite modified, here by an almost leathery moss. At no time does Tubereuse ever smell like a living flower, and rather than a stroll through a tropical garden, I'm put in mind of a Chinese medicine shop, filled to the ceiling with giant, dried fungi and buckets of herbs.

In terms of sillage, Tubereuse is a little reclusive once the drydown arrives, but it lasts quite well, as a good parfum should.

AlexPanzer's avatar

Activist by Body Shop

This stuff is pretty good, I just got it off the eBay as a blind buy and I knew that it was hard to find fragrance so I just had to try it. I think that it qualifies as an everyday fragrance. It is not too powerful and has a good silage.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

XIII La Treizième Heure by Cartier

Perfumer Mathilde Laurent ( previously of Guerlain )
    This perfume starts dark, smokey and whilst you are trying to figure out " just what is that smokey note" - it gets into a strong slightly bitter dry leather - it's gorgeous !
    ........ Hang on, it's not done because this scent quickly morphs into the large, mouth watering lapsang suchong tea accord ( which lent some of the smokiness to this perfume to start ) . Such sweet ,dry tea smoke !
    Oh Gawd ! I LOVE lapsang suchong tea !!!!!
    ....Hang on, I'm not done yet... after this really dramatic intense start and morphing going on, suddenly the tea becomes wispy and gradually, this perfume gets sweeter and sweeter,till you are left with amber, vanilla and patchouli. It all happens fairly quickly from start to drydown which is a bummer. I want that lapsang suchong tea note to stay till the end. All that is left is a slight nuance of smoke, leather and tea - very subtle ...mostly it's vanilla, amber and patchouli. The end is very refined ,sweet oriental ,well behaved. I like to think the narcissus is in there somewhere but I can't find it - maybe it's in the drydown .
    Long lasting ,rich ,interesting, definitely a morphing perfume with personality.
    I can have my lapsang suchong tea perfume for a mere $255 .....or maybe Twinings tea will be cheaper even if I get it shipped from Sainsbury's in London !

You gotta love this scent even if the oopmh goes out pretty fast and it becomes a tame sweet thing.
    So...my imagery - 'Hard biker guy who drinks tea secretly and is really a puddy tat at home. '

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Vetyver by Fragonard

MY SIGNATURE SCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a 200ml bottle but I fear to finish it soon.. excellent, superb, the combination fo pine and cedar is well balanced and the vetiver aftertaste give elegance.simple but not simplicistic. a first sight love. I highly reccomend it. sometimes it has been defined as dark but no, better to say green

shamu1's avatar

Varon Dandy by Parera

Varon Dandy is an excellent powdery, "dandified" classic old-school fougere. I detect a touch of vanilla in the base, which gives it a subtle, Old Spice-like feel. It's a very simple and linear fragrance - it smells like it's only got like 3 or 4 ingredients: lavender, tonka, vanilla and maybe patchouli - but this scent does not need to be complex. A fragrance I could compare this to would be Royal Lavender Water by Roger & Gallet.

Varon Dandy is very conservative and discreet, but very manly too, in a gentlemanly way. It's a scent that stays very close to the skin, and longevity is merely so-so - about 4 or 5 hours. I like this mainly because it is so comfortable to wear - it's soft, silky, very well blended and never brash or caustic. It succeeds where The Baron fails miserably: in creating a warm, smooth, well-balanced fougere that can be worn very comfortably. Thumbs up for Varon Dandy.

MY RATING IS: 7.5/10

David Ruskin's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I just don't get the smoky note that others mention; instead I get a rich complex of damp, sweet tobacco mixed with spices and soft leather. There are dried fruits and Patchouli, Amber and Tonka. It is complex , and whilst sweet, not cloyingly so. It is very strong and lasts forever. I love it but don't wear it that often as my partner cannot stand it!

kitsch's avatar

Satsuma by Body Shop

Very very potent bright satsuma citrus - great for cheering one up on a grey wintry day. It is true that it lasts and lasts and lasts and then lasts some more. I like it occasionally, and it is great in the room fragrance oil version (one drop alone in the oil burner does the job for the house!). Good value because the merest hint of it suffices. For citrus-lovers only.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I first tried the EDT bought at TJMaxx under $20 .I didn't love or hate it but wanted somthing more than just okay.I had thought the top notes nice and the base notes but not the middle heart notes.Then I had a winning bid online for 14 assorted minis Anais Anais was one of them but inEDP form.Now I have "seen the light " with this fragrance ! I'll have to get a full bottle and check for a perfume strength I love the ambery dry down from a chypreish floral.Thumbs up for EDP and higher neutral for EDT or lower.

Baby Doll Magique by Yves Saint Laurent

The tag on the bottle says"orange,wild rose,grenadine" limited edition EDT.Fragrantica lists two Baby Doll Magics .The 2007 version lists orange, rose hips,white peach and watermelon;the2008 version (which looks like my bottle)lists grapefruit,passionflower,passionfruit,jasmine,and musk. When I try Baby Doll Magic I smell oranges,roses,something else fruity probably both the peach and passionfruit.As it drys down I get the sharp citrus zing that almost tingles my tastebuds as if I'm tasting not smelling this.The sharpness seems as if it may be undergirded with a clean lilly of the valley and cedar(I get a similar but not as pleasant taste zing near a person wearing Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. This is extreamely similar to Burberry Brit Sheer but it's silliage and longevity seem to be less and shorter respectively.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Nahéma by Guerlain

My mother was a great fan of Mitsouko and must have grieved over my taste when I was a feckless teenager with a distressing tendency to buy the latest from Avon, so it must have been a great relief to her when I discovered Nahema. I can still remember it as a sort of Damascene Conversion - it came billowing out of the tester with roses so rich that I could almost feel the petals, deep, dark and velvety, but with them peach, spice, and vanilla. The first time you try this you get whisked away on the Golden Journey to Samarkand (which is probably the best way to go there - after Nahema the real thing would probably be a huge let-down).

This isn't a fragrance for wearing into the office - at least not if you expect to get any work done - but it is a fragrance for the evening, or for days when you need to be reassured that your life has some beauty in it.

I have tried more fragrances than I can remember & bought more than I can really afford, but when I was standing by the Guerlain counter one bitter day not long after my mother died - thinking of her and how she loved fine fragrances, and remembering the day she said 'Try this one, darling, it's new - you may like it.' I decided to try it again. It had been a long time; I had worn Mitsouko myself, also Jicky; I was quite a fan of Joy and had fallen in love with Tocade - but when I sprayed Nahema again it was like coming home.

I don't just love Nahema for the memories, although those are pretty powerful; this is simply one of the most beautiful and complete fragrances ever - lovely in every aspect.

Pity those who lack the soul to appreciate anything better than the latest celebrity rubbish..