Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Nile_Etland's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Gorgeous - clean, fresh & irresistable. Like pre-dawn in the Alpes Maritimes this cools you with citrus and herbs and makes you ready to face the day with energy.

I don't really want to be knocked out by any fragrance for the whole day - I might want a change as the day goes on, I will certainly want to wear something different in the evening. In my experience no EdT lasts particularly well (some are better than others in that respect) and part of the beauty of any Eau de Cologne is its ephemeral nature - like those few moments before the heat of the sun starts to scorch the freshness from the world - but you can buy an atomizer pretty cheaply and spritz from time to time, knowing that you're not going to deliver a knock-out blow to the noses of colleagues or passers-by but rather treat them (and yourself) to something fresh and beautiful.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Missoni (new) by Missoni

The problem with many fragrances is that they are difficult to find in a shop for the purpose of trying before you buy - you can get them easily enough on the whole over the Net, but if you're going to be spending £30+ it's a lot of money down the drain if you decide it's not for you. In an ideal world you should be able to get a sample of any fragrance for a pound or two, but I haven't managed to find a decant service in the UK and stores generally only have samples of the latest fragrance and are amazingly mean about giving them away...I wonder where all the testers on eBay come from?

However, back to Missoni. I finally ran it to earth and took a smelling strip away with me to see whether I would be able to live with it. It didn't take me long to decide: you can smell the family relationship to Tocade (also by Maurice Roucel), it has a similar (but slightly toasted) vanilla note which in this incarnation does come over as chocolate, morphing into an iridescent floral - sometimes soft & rosy, sometimes fresh.

Of course by the time I had decided to splash out (sorry about the pun) and treat myself to a bottle the shop no longer stocked it so I had to go on the Net, but like Luca Turin I too will make sure I've got enough for a lifetime. By the way I agree completely with Xmen - where are all the rest of the Basenotes community? They should be here, singing the praises of this bewitching fragrance.

27 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2010)

mjcr's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

You are either going to 'get' this fragrance or not. If you like clean, fresh, 'just-out-of-the-shower' scents then steer clear. This is not for you. If you like Azzaro Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Havana and fragrances that roughly fall within the 'aromatic fougere' category then the chances are you will find something of interest in Quorum.

Quorum on my skin is a heady cacophony of spices, leather and tobacco. And I absolutely dig this. I certainly cannot wear it too often. It is very strong and fully deserves its 'powerhouse' status. As with so many 70s and early 80s fragrances it feels somewhat rebellious to wear this nowadays which simply adds to its allure. My brother took one sniff at Quorum and said 'oh, that's a gentleman's cologne'. On the other hand it has a distinctly macho bravura about it that conjures cliche images of Southern Mediterranean men. It is a 'deep' smell.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about Quorum is its price. In the UK you can pick up the 100ml Eau de Toilette for £9.99. Considering the sheer quality of the fragrance it has to rank as one of the greatest bargains and value-for-money scents in the world of perfumery today.

's avatar

Dunhill by Dunhill

I should confess, i got many compliments for this, Men and women.
    Best synthetic i ever had! Lemon note in top botheres me. I like drying down. a little soapy, and floral in middle. In middle Iris is more powerful for me. In my skin it doesn't have good lasting, but in clothes, it's fine. At the end, in base, you will have soapy musky scent, a little spicy.

Agent Betty's avatar

Vie de Chateau by Nicolaï

Dry herby-leathery top notes burn off into buttery hay and tobacco notes. I do get an odd something that I was able to place as banana after another reviewer mentioned it. Vie de Chateau has a good longevity: I can catch whiffs of this on myself for hours after applying.

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

One Word .. Avoid...this is far too away from sport.

whitelace's avatar

Curious by Britney Spears

White floral? It started off with a very sweet, almost candy-like floral swirl. The sweetness overpowered the floral, and I couldn't make out any distinct notes. Thankfully the magnolia appeared soon, and that part was a bit pleasant. I too was stubborn about trying a celebrity's fragrance. I tried this because I love Fantasy, but I won't try any other celebrity line. Now I do like my fragrances sweet (including floral ones) and of the gourmand variety, but Curious was a mishmash, with the sweet factor always in the forefront. I didn't find it at all fresh. The sillage and longevity were strong, but this isn't a keeper. It just wasn't pleasant.

lucasmito's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Well, this fragrance is the best choice for those that want a sweet parfum, the top notes are very freshy and invitative, the chocolate appears very soft on the middle mixed with the vanilla, that is the soul of this one.

On my opinion, this fragrance is not so much aliked to A*Men, this one is softer, and more discret (also a great choice for whom dont appreciate the peppermint and the coffe on A*Men), when I don't know what use, I just pick animale, fit for day and night, also has a low price.

The only thing I get mad, it is with the longevity, it lasts few hours.

WhiteTshirts's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

This one is my first fragrance. I used to really liked it, but now I think it is too sweet and powdery. It's not really bad though, but not for me.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Tuberose city arrives and envelopes you in a gorgeous halo of jasmine, gardenia, coconut and vanilla...and then you are allowed into heaven as Mugler Alien opens the door waiting for you to play similar longevity and sillage ...I wonder if there will be a child waiting to be born to show their parents assets...

To be continued...

27 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2011)

jujy54's avatar

Antilope by Weil

My first exposure to Antilopewas the EDC in the tall hexagonal bottle. bears no resemblance to the vintage formula, it is sort of a drugstore shampoo-y floral.

Then there is the vintage:

I scored EDT & PDT on ebay January 2012. Reminds me of vintage My Sin + chamomile, with less civet. Same "lotiony" floral heart, which must include clary sage and muguet, to my nose anyway. Very easy to wear. Long lasting, too. Like My Sin and Chanel °5, it has aldehydes, anisic I believe. Chanel °5 has never worked for me, so I thought all aldehydes would be off limits, but Antilope has won me over. Just remember, go vintage or go home!

27 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 February, 2013)

kewart's avatar

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

I tried this in Neiman Markus whilst on holiday in San Francisco
    I was immediately taken in by Noir de Noir's mesmerising notes.
    This is a very slick, up-market scent that smells as expensive as it
    is! I can't afford a full bottle yet, but wouldn't mind another testing!!
    I love my scents on the dry side and this one definitely is.

manicboy's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

D&G Light Blue for men. It's OK, opening is decent but then falls apart. Possibly the most indifferent fragrance in masculine history. I can't love this nor can I hate it. It's just there.

LiveJazz's avatar

Booster by Lacoste

How I wanted to love it. And I do love the topnotes, with their nose-tingling, high-end spa notes that are so well constructed and blended that they are nearly impossible to identify as such unforgiving notes as eucalyptus and peppermint. I find it to be a very calming, clean, zen-like green accord, which gradually amps up some complimentary spice notes. Liking it so far.

But, right on schedule, 30 minutes or so after application, just as others have indicated, powdery synthetic wood fizz attacks and takes over the addictive opening in the blink of an eye and turns Booster into an obnoxious shell of its former self.

It's sad to see the potential of these topnotes wasted so completely.

cheryl's avatar

R de Capucci by Roberto Capucci

What's not to like? It's a lemony lavender turning to a leathery amber. Like others, this one reminds me of something...in my case it reminds me of New York, PdN. This somehow has more clarity...it's less muddled and is slightly more masc. I find New York more whatevergender. A good solid any day (seems very affordable) classy choice. Not operatic in any way.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

First thing's first - that color! Yes, it is a truly alarming shade of purple. The pictures don't prepare one.

That put aside, Sarrasins is one of the most charming renditions of jasmine available, and not at all bizarre or even pushing the envelope, as the shade of the juice might suggest. Those who like those latter qualities in a Serge Lutens release will be disappointed ( especially given the positively searing A La Nuit ), but there's room in my wardrobe for all shades of jasmine, and Sarrasins is one I'm glad I own.

The top notes of the fragrance are cool and lightly indolic; subtly crisp rather than chilly. Some compare them to Tubereuse Criminelle, but I don't smell even a hint of wintergreen. As Sarrasins develops, a mild dried apricot note emerges, and into the base, a touch of civet lends a hint of filth to an otherwise rather clean rendition of jasmine. Mostly, however, Sarrasins is jasmine, jasmine, jasmine; pure, heady, and airy from first spray to its last lingering trace the next day.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Nuit de Cellophane by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Nuit de Cellophane smells rather nice - fruity, tea-like osmanthus, done a little more softly and transparently than most osmanthus soliflores I've smelled. Not groundbreaking, but I can see spritzing this on in the heat and enjoying it. I'd give it a neutral rating, all in all, if it weren't for the very disappointing longevity and sillage after the first hour or so.

I'd recommend anyone who likes this style of fragrance but wants something a little more sophisticated to check out Nicolai's Odalique ( ideally vintage, but even the modern stuff is superior to this ). If you want a nicer osmanthus in a related vein, I recommend Parfum d'Empire's Osmanthus Interdite or Ormonde Jayne's Osmanthus, both sunny, fruity fragrances a lot like this but with superior longevity and sillage.

SirSlarty's avatar

Curious by Britney Spears

Typical floral opening, with a slightly sweet heart and a squeaky clean musky base. The musky drydown lingers for a good part of the day. A little too clean and transparent for my likes.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

J'Adore by Christian Dior

The EDP is strong stuff, use sparingly otherwise you'll get a headache.
    I like this fragrance, especially in the late spring early summer months. It hasn't attracted bees to my wrists so that's especially a plus for me. I detect a honey-amber base to it, which I find intriguing, identifiable and IMO unusual. Would I purchase a bottle of it? Not likely, but it's a gift that I wouldn't mind getting and using. Nicely done.

urfliness's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I don't find this frag very femminie at all.It seems pretty linerar to me.The opening is very fresh.It doesn't seem to last very long(nothing does in my opinion).I usually keep my frags with me for reapplication especially at work.My co-workers don't mind.Like most scents I look for longevity, this doesn't have the best but I still like it.

shamu1's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

If you love lavender and hate vanilla, don't despair about all the reviews here talking about the vanilla base in this. Pour Un Homme de Caron is a lavender lover's lavender fragrance. Conversely, if you hate lavender, you will hate this fragrance.

The vanilla in Pour Un Homme is certainly noticeable, but it's never too sweet, and it never weighs this fragrance down. It simply adds a touch of sweetness and a lot of longevity to a note (lavender) that typically is sharp, raw and short-lived.

Just like in another classic masterpiece, Guerlain's Vetiver, the other notes don't stand out on their own, but rather support the main lavender note, bring out the lavender's best qualities, and add tremendous longevity to the fragrance. Pour Un Homme de Caron is so well constructed, I can't even detect when the lavender note actually fades: either the fixative notes allow the actual lavender note to last the duration of the scent (which is about 10 hours on my skin) or supporting notes blend so well with the lavender opening that they create an olfactory illusion of lavender for a very long time. Either way, this is lavender done to perfection.

Pour Un Homme is the best lavender fragrance I have ever smelled.

MY RATING: 10/10

ubergeek's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

It's too bad the original Perry Ellis for Men has been discontinued, as its replacement is a serious downgrade from this classic 80's chypre. Very strong carnation notes in the middle make this something of a unisex scent, but it nonetheless leans more towards the masculine side with the leather and oak moss base. Used sparingly it's an elegant, refined formal scent that's still quite wearable at the office. The fact that you can still buy the 5oz EDT for under $20 on The Net makes this one of the great fragrance bargains out there... for now.

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou

While I think that Prive is a lovely fragrance, it is possibly a little sweet and fruity for a fragrance intended for men. I have tried it several times, and am convinced it is Ma Liberte, in a different bottle.

Sweet, with fruity and subtle vanilla notes, Prive is very different to the original versian of Patou pour Homme.

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

Poivre by Caron

I have to admit one thing for this perfume!!!It's a clover-spiced dynamite!!!Long-Long lasting scent with deep warm aroma!The most unique and unusual woody spiced perfume i have ever tried!It deserves to be in the top five list of Oriental woodies of all time!!!
    *I sampled this scent thanks to MiMi Gardenia *

Limony's avatar

Rush by Gucci

I get cherry and ice cream, like a perfume put together from a child's favourite smells, with underlying vetiver. Odd, a bit sickly, a bit moreish.

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

If I say I dont Like it , it would be unfair, I find D&G PH a very good daytime cologne in Summer, Very fresh citrus start turns into flowery sweet and than MuSK/Tobaco , It prevails in the surroundings. Lovely.

fleure blanc's avatar

Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears

I sprayed some on a scent strip and some accidentally got on my hand. I did not like it at all, it is the epitome of cheap perfume. The top notes smelled like Off bug spray, the dry down smelled like Off bug spray on a very old lady. The floral notes were harsh and quickly lost in an insipid vanilla musk base. I had to drive a while before I could scrub it off my hand, and I had the windows open for sure. Different strokes for different folks, but this is not to my liking at all.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Kenzoair by Kenzo

The first thing that struck me about this scent was that it's linear and seems to be more simply constructed than most other scents I've owned. The second thought was that it made a welcome change from the usual fruity, citrusy or aquatic summer fragrances for men. I was especially impressed with the way it smelt cool and refreshing without the need to resort to mint.

Kenzoair has a typically unusual smell (I get mainly a medicinal-liquorice-vetiver-cedar smell) and arty-surreal presentation that I tend to associate with Kenzos - BTW I like the remarkable-looking 'sculptured' bottle. Like Kenzo Pour Homme, this is an interesting, distinctive (it smells a lot like how I think I remember Bogner Deep Forest smelt) and sometimes demanding scent that I think lacks any real sensuality - but could make a good signature fragrance and is great for office/business use. Unlike many others on this site, I've found the scent to be strong & long lasting with good sillage that works particularly well in hot weather.

I bought the 90 ml EDT but was alarmed to notice that the bottle was only about 60% full when I first opened the box leading me to think I had been conned by the retailer. However I noticed from another Internet site that all Kenzoair bottles are made the same size and volume irrespective of the amount of scent they will eventually be filled with. This explains my partially filled bottle which could clearly hold at least 150 mls compared to the 90 mls it actually held when new. This also leads me to ask why wasn't it simply sold like most other scents as 100 mls in the first place instead of as 90 mls...typically wacky Kenzo !

In summary, a really good scent - my favourite of all the male Kenzos and a thumbs-up also for being so different!

28 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2011)

colormechris's avatar

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Tried this on at Marshall's and instantly loved it. The lady at the register said, "Honey, what is that? You're wearing the good stuff!" I knew I had to buy it. A couple of years later and I still have almost a full bottle. Why? Because you only need half a spritz and you're set for a day or two. Trussardi is one of the strongest projecting fragrances I've ever encountered...right up there with Kouros, Calvin and Antaeus. All from the early 80's, when mens colognes were for MEN and nobody noticed if you were wearing too much because they were wearing too much too. Trussardi can really knock you over and you have to be in the mood for it. But, like those other scents mentioned, there's a deep, rich, complexity to it that is almost a tactile experience. Trussardi Uomo is perhaps a bit too brash for its own good and I would only recommend it in small amounts during cold weather. Eight stars out of ten let's say.
    Interesting...you can click on an individual scent note in the fragrance pyramid and the site will give you a list of all frags that have that note. I clicked on "leather" and the list contained many of my favorites, and others I've really gravitated towards. I guess I was really into leather all along without really knowing it!

28 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2011)

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Chemistry by Clinique

Im really dissapointed with this blind buy (13$ for 30ml) , it was a decant so no big deal,
    i like clinique happy so i thought this might fit the bil for spring/summer
    its simple - true
    it does not develop - true
    its projection is zilch - true
    is it bad? yes it is, a bit sweet, ambery-gingery with blast of rotten citrus that is synthetic and gives me a headache
    the funny thing: the name is right! it strenghten (intensify ?) chemistry of your body ...smell
    for entire 30min i smelled my dry skin much better :o
    if you know what i mean

wow i did 180 on this! never expected
    its still same perception but it does not give me headache anymore i need just HOT weather to reach for this
    and it stays for a long time 6-7h but mostly skin scent
    small thumbs up

28 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 October, 2011)