Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Chemistry by Clinique

Im really dissapointed with this blind buy (13$ for 30ml) , it was a decant so no big deal,
    i like clinique happy so i thought this might fit the bil for spring/summer
    its simple - true
    it does not develop - true
    its projection is zilch - true
    is it bad? yes it is, a bit sweet, ambery-gingery with blast of rotten citrus that is synthetic and gives me a headache
    the funny thing: the name is right! it strenghten (intensify ?) chemistry of your body ...smell
    for entire 30min i smelled my dry skin much better :o
    if you know what i mean

wow i did 180 on this! never expected
    its still same perception but it does not give me headache anymore i need just HOT weather to reach for this
    and it stays for a long time 6-7h but mostly skin scent
    small thumbs up

28 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 October, 2011)

Adepta's avatar

Hiris by Hermès

Off-Scenter (whatever happened to Vibert??) has it right: Hiris is transparent and refreshing, feminine but restrained, floral but crisp, slightly bitter, slightly green, clean, sober and very elegant.
    To my nose it does not smell powdery or "perfumey" at all, but rather natural in a sophisticated way.
    On the other hand, I cannot stand the much-prised Iris Bleu Gris, which I find artificial, cloying, powdery and old-fashoned (in a bad sense).
    One of my all-times favourite floral fragrances.

Adepta's avatar

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I have and love Hiris by Hermes, so I wanted to try more iris, and based on the reviews (mistake!) I bought this one.
    Ugghhh!
    I don't understand how it can be described a gritty, earthy, austere. I guess my nose misses something, and probably I'm not sophisticated enough, but to me it smells artificial, powdery, cloying, perfumey - in short, all I dislike in a perfume.
    Compared to it, Hiris shines even more: it's sober, bracing, fresh, elegant, subtle.
    To me, Iris Bleu Gris is perfume an old lady of not particularly refined taste could wear.

scentsitivity's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

I remember smelling this when I first got into fragrances and it was much too much for my nose to handle. I recently revisited it and found it to be much more bearable. A lemony leather chypre with a good amount of staying power. Not for me, but I can’t fault it.

atrac's avatar

Activist by Body Shop

A 90's scent that I only recently discovered (thanks to its re-issue by The Body Shop) that has become an instant classic for me. I definitely also get the root beer opening. I also get a more complex (and expensive) "Preferred Stock" smell from it (which I also like but prefer this one by leaps and bounds).

At any rate when I learned it was re-released I was quite pleased as I had heard of this frag's fans and, being a fan of the 90's in general, was glad to have a slice of that better than now decade. A+

HDS1963's avatar

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

This has become one of my favourite tobacco fragrances. The scent pyramid here doesn't list tobacco for some reason, but trust me it's there, in fact the drydown is extraordinary, retaining a beautiful smoky tobacco accord forever. All the time combined with a delightful subtle floral note throughout.

The opening is not what I'd call a spectacular flourish, but to be honest, that kind of misses the point.You don't buy this fragrance for the opening, you buy it because the heart and basenotes are really fantastic.

This is a potent fragrance too, you will be noticed wearing this and you will be complimented on it too. It is quite simply a great fragrance. The longevity is remarkable too, to the point where this EDT kicks sand in the faces of EDPs which claim greater skin duration.

Bogart pour Homme is an all male fragrance, which doesn't just go down the route of traditional woods to establish its masculinity. It's tobacco, tobacco, tobacco... did I mention it drys down to a great tobacco?

Recommended.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

This is a true breath of fresh air. Good stuff. Familiar, calming, happy. There are no unpleasant surprises with this one; it is what it is and it is great.

AnimaSola's avatar

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

Very attractive. It tones down the brightness of the original fragrance, but it still smells a lot like the original Eau Sauvage. That is not a negative at all, but I thought more originality could have gone into this fragrance. It's fabulous nonetheless.

mrcologneguy's avatar

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Superb. The best of Dior Homme, all knobs turned up to 11. It's a lingering, haunting, gourmand version of Dior Homme. The vanilla is turned way up, and it's very, very pleasant. Makes a good late evening fragrance, perfect for a quiet night at home. My wife loves this one on me. I love it for just about any occasion, though I keep the application on the discreet side for office wear. Dior Homme Cologne [not the same thing as Dior Homme] is highly recommended, too. I even like the deodorant. Not so fond of the bland, citrus-y sport flanker. Overall, though, a home run. Wish they made a bar soap to go with it all.

Apricot & Cocoa by Sohum

This smelled to me very much like "Jaffas" (choc orange balls sold in Australia and New Zealand). Not entirely unpleasant, but one-dimensional and easy to get bored with.

Buttercup by Sohum

Because of the name, I thought I'd really like Buttercup - but I took one sniff of the bottle and thought "popcorn". Like the butter 'n' salt popcorn you get at cinemas. Ugh. Based on what some of the other reviewers said, I really ought to go back and give it a proper test drive to check on the alleged gourmand notes. By the way, SoHum is a great little perfumery in my local neighbourhood.

Peony Roses by Sohum

A SoHum SA informed me that a peony rose is a particular type of small peony (although later research indicated that 'peony rose' is merely an alternative name given to peonies because of their rosy fragrance). Anyhoo - I have not to my knowledge smelled a real peony, but if they smell anything like this SoHum fragrance, they are very sweet, very rosy and very nice indeed. However I didn't stick around long enough for the basenotes because I am not shopping around for any more rose and/or peony type frags.

Atlantaloves's avatar

Ocean by Demeter Fragrance Library

Ahhhhhhh I totally love this perfume. I only wear light fresh scents, and this is perfect for those of you that like a very green light perfume. I also recommend Swimming Pool and Salt Air by Demeter. You get a big bang for your buck with their scent line.

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

CK In 2 U Him HEAT by Calvin Klein

I was really looking forward to trying this fragrance, as it's listed ingredients sounded very me. However, though it is very pleasant, I don't find it very different to many other fragrances: I don't know if anyone remembers a fragrance called Kindred Spirit (which only seemed to be marketed by Woolworths in the UK); it was very similar to CK1, but not quite the same: on me CK In 2 U Him HEAT smells exactly like it.

For me this is a pleasant frangrance, but not a particularly special one.

alireza's avatar

Iran Iran

The Dreamer by Versace

this fragrance surly is a love/hate one and unfortunately I'm in the HATE part.
    it was a blind buy and what a big mistake. it really makes me sick and no matter how hard I try I cant find something interesting in it. I dont like the scent .it lasts all day but stays very close to skin.
    DO NOT BLIND BUY.

philmcphe's avatar

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

This smells pretty nice, but I don't think I'll be buying, or wearing it again as I had two separate people comment on how I smelled like a "rich, old, woman". The associate at Saks even mentioned how even though they marketed this as a masculine fragrance, that about three quarters of the sales they have on it are to women. Maybe it just doesn't work on my skin, who knows. Definitely give it a full wearing before buying though, because I loved it on the paper.

No. 5 by Chanel

It has taken me many tries to appreciate the complexity of this classic scent. Given it as a gift when I reached 40, no other perfume says sophisticated aldehyde like this one. It's the aromatic of classy grandmothers, those former flappers shopping at stately hotel boutiques, and in the basements of expensive department stores. It's never out of fashion with die hards. It is very difficult to get past the "old lady" first impression of baby powder, alcohol, tuber rose for the first few uses. It feels like a maturity branding, with a hint of golf mornings and mothballed closets. Then, a blast of more youthful peach and orange as it dries down on skin, and then it's like a window opens and night jasmine breezes in for a sweet yet intoxicating finish that forces a return again and again, as if hypnotized, in a determination to reinvent this scent for yourself. The secret to this classic's success is that while you may be on the fence about it for yourself, kicking and screaming into middle age, it has its desired effect on your partner. For me, it took a dozen wearings to know what it was about. It's about creating a specific mood, and as such I use it sparingly.

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a floral aldehyde that didn't know what it was and what it wanted. Champagne was deceptive because it was too heavy for day wear, yet too floral and light for the night. There was a sickening and cloying sillage of cherry and white chocolate that overwhelmed the effervescent champagne and lemony pepper top notes. That said, the first impression is definitely one of sophistication. This one is for women of a "certain age." The set who wear Chanel No. 5. But it's not stately nor does it smack of embalming liquid, as some perfumes older women wear do. It's more alive than that, but it's prolonged sillage may just do you in!

Patchouli by Molinard

The first impression is classic head-shop patchouli hippie, with all the incense, musk, and moss and a mitigating sandalwood that the scent implies. Then it dries down to a ephemeral powdery floral, with a hint of orange blossom at the top thrown in for good measure. I found that with me there was zero sillage. This chypre lasted all of ten minutes with just a hint of incense left on me as if I had smoked it two days before.

The scent does not alter with my chemistry and I have yet to make it my own. I may try layering it, but because of its dominant patchouli that doesn't stick around for dessert, the effect of mixing it with another scent may be that the second scent remains and that would be like wearing an abandoned lover.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

Violet violence. I was ravaged by too much synthetic violet, which lasts and lasts to a nauseating degree, to fall in love with the otherwise 'angelic' undertones of patchouli, myrrh, and green floral citrus. It's way too funky even for a patchouli hag like myself,

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

This was a very short-lived love affair. Spring flowers and marine became a gin joint ten cents a dance alcoholic.

JeanieE's avatar

Heartfelt by Body Shop

Clean, flowery, sweet; makes me want to jump in the shower with my hubby!! Evokes powerful, intensely romantic memories (sigh).

suzi2qs's avatar

Intense Tiare by Montale

Interesting that my first review is for a floral. Generally these are a big no no for me as they tend to inspire an immediate, screaming headache with few exceptions. Happily, this is one of them. This is an extraordinary presentation of the Tiare flower steeped in a creamy coconut. The floral notes are pure and far from cloying. The drydown is dead-on reminiscent of a tropical vacation. The sillage and lasting power are epic, as with most of Montale's offerings.

suitup's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Replay for Him! by Replay

The top note is great. However the dry-down is, well lets just stick with not so great. It feels a bit to feminine at times. This is not a BAD fragrance, but there's nothing special about it.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Antonio by Antonio Banderas

Basically like a tangy rose and rosewood combination. Sweet while simultaneously pretty tangy; usually I dislike tangy fragrances, but Antonio's sweetness levels it out. This doesn't really smell like anything else that I've tried, so it gets an A for being original.

It get's an A+ in the longevity department as well, as it lasts for 12+ hours on my skin. Projection and sillage are above average as well. My only complaint is that it smells kind of feminine, so it makes it less wearable for myself. I'm the type of guy who usually has to wear a fragrance marketed for men that only smells like it was marketed for men. Although there are always exceptions. This is one of those fragrances that I like less and less as I wear it more and more. A must smell though for anybody.

29 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 November, 2010)

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I went through a bottle of this beauty quickly. It's perfect for any time use. It has a pepper, caramel, citrus quality that won't offend the office in daytime, then shape shifts to a musky, patchouli dark chocolate suitable for nighttime wear. The scent blends to you and becomes your signature. It was noticed by noses wherever I went. In dance class, women stood close to me and marveled at how good the room smelled. The only problem was, my husband didn't like it and found it overpowering. I agree with a review above in that the name Angel, which connotes something light and atmospheric and dreamy and pure, isn't right for what this is. It's sweet, yes, but there's also a darkness to it.

29 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2012)

stevolution's avatar

Jovan White Musk for Men by Jovan

I wore it in 90's. I bought it again last year. Very clean and somewhat "peach-like" upon application. This is what LeMale should have been, as it actually reminds of the "Clasique" version, but only vaguely.

According to Jovan, this scent is NOT discontinued.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Fourreau Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The lavender comes on soft and fades rather quickly to me. There is something very fougère about the fade of the top notes from lavender to powder, but Fourreau is more of a gourmand to my nose - perhaps the most the most tasteful evocation of a doughnut dusted in powder sugar around, but with a hint of something dark and cool that prevents it getting too sweet.

I'm just slightly giving this a thumbs up, because overall it's an enjoyable wear, just a little dull after the first half hour or so, and not that much better than many mainstream orientals and gourmands.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Je Reviens by Worth

Way back in the late 60s and early 70s, when I was young enough to have an unlimited (if naive) romantic imagination, I fell in love with this scent. I didn't know then that the old French classics were best suited for a woman of the world, which I certainly was not. For some reason, I lost track of this fragrance, only to find it in a discount store (very cheap) in the late 90s. My expectation of fond memories was severely disappointed--SOMETHING AWFUL had happened to Je Reviens!! It had gone down-market and it smelled like nail polish remover! Now, though, I can enjoy it again. What I remember from the past is now available as "Je Reviens Couture" EdP (in the crenelated cobalt blue bottle). Do yourself a favour--forget the EdT. The EdP is still gorgeous and costs barely more than its nasty sibling (unless, of course, you want to smell like nail polish remover). Some forty years on, it still appeals to the romantic in me--but now with just a bit of nostalgic melancholy.

's avatar

Homage Attar by Amouage

Before I wax ridiculous about this Seraphic unguent, I'll share the description of notes in my Amouage 'booklet', which I received as a 'complimentary gift' ...for blowing the appropriate amount of dough at the Harrod's Amouage boutique:

'...dominated by rose taifi, (which is) the finest quality of oil extracted from the petals of a rose. Complimenting this,the finest silver frankincense, tayyiba, (which is) a beautiful blend of jasmine and sweet amber, Silver oud and al andalus, (which is) a subtle blend of citrus and sandalwood.'

Perhaps this is the most beautiful scent in production on earth. At least in the top three or four.

Lovers of the Amouage are predisposed to adore this one, as it's not only an homage to ancient and traditional Middle-Eastern perfumery, but also a nod to specific popular scents in the Amouage line, most notably Dia Women (the crisp, variety of unsweetened, soap-ish rose), Silver Cologne Men (the very subtle use of citrus and frankincense), and Jubliation XXV (the undertones of authentic, salubrious oud). I consider it a true unisex scent, if anything leaning a tad toward the 'masculine' end of the gamut.

I am not sure another popular fragrance exists that speaks to the ancient art perfumery or illustrates the divine healing potential of scent in this way. To me, it smells fit for a deity. I imagine Lord Siva would smell like this: strutting toward his retinue coolly, loose-hipped...wearing a garland of roses and beneficently waving his nimble, attenuated and enlightened, perfumed hands over their prostrate forms. Or Aphrodite: stretching, recumbent and languorous in her dazzling and lush cradle of irresistible seduction. It's so redolent that after applying just a few small drops, it's aroma literally fills the room with a gorgeous cloud of scent that stimulates the imagination and soothes my being.

I am inspired mystically, too, and I imagine that Homage's aroma-therapeutic qualities must be extraordinary (Applied before bed, its ether draws me into the most delectable inexorable slumber, in which I have the most soaring, healing dreams :)). Homage, with its cool, camphorous oud note and crystalline clarity, might be the ideal, magical, olfactive panacea. If an angel or sprite... or other supernatural well-wisher... gifted any afflicted mortal with an unction to heal the proverbial heart or disaffected soul, it would surely smell just like this....:)

Homage is presented appropriately in a stunningly-crafted burled wood box, lined with royal purple velvet, which is a beautiful showpiece for any boudoir.

A true treasure.

And if you tend to experience perfume as an inspiration or journey you must not miss out on this.

30th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2010)