Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

suzi2qs's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Musk & castoreum & civet Oh My! Dorothy will never make it to Oz!! But she will be having some fun, no doubt. We have some seriously assy notes going on here Chris! What were you thinking? And why should I care? This fragrance is an animalic powerhouse and I can wear this with relish. A bit skanky as others have noted?? Absolutely!! But this gives me the feel of having spent an afternoon engaged in the most devient sexual acts known to man with a stranger in a strange land. Upon leaving him or her to rejoin the tour, I find no time to shower off the sweat of this encounter, hop on the bus with a snide smile, knowing that I have seen a part of a foreign land none of my tourmates will ever know. This is blended so well that I could wear it any day, any time, in any situation. I do not find this offensive, just primal and sexy. Makes me feel like a very bad girl, even thought I am not. I get more sex than beaver butt from this creative masterpiece. The scent of sex is not something I could ever find distasteful because it is a beautiful thing. I would recommend this to anyone in sample form just for the experience. Of course, there is a chance you may fall in love. Nothing bad about that. Do take care at the office though, you may have many of your work mates buzzing around you for no good reason.

31st May, 2010

suzi2qs's avatar

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

To be fair, I am not a fan of florals with very few exceptions. This was a steal I found at a discount store for next to nothing. What I have here, is too many strong floral notes struggling for power, to my dismay, they are all winning, I am losing. This fragrance wears me, not the other way around. The magnolia and jasmine notes are strong and cloying to me and gave me an instant headache. Understanding fully that somewhere in there there is musk and patchouli, I popped 2 painkillers and dared to wait for this floral battlefield to find a peaceful solution and drydown to a musky floral I thought I could tolerate. No such luck. There was no change or transformation, and I did give it the better part of a day. For those who love this, the lasting power and sillage must be orgasmic. I love loud, if not sometimes brash fragrances, I care not if my scent enters a room before I do if I love it. Sadly, this was was so "perfumey", so reminiscent of cloying florals of old, even I was turned off. The bottle is minimalistic and attractive but this counts for nothing in my assessment of a scent. I could not wear this if it was the only remaining scent on earth. Thank goodness I did not spend very much on this so I don't feel violated, I feel more like I walked out of the cinema after paying to watch an unenjoyable film.

31st May, 2010