Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Tiare by Ormonde Jayne

Thanks to Baykat - I am trying Tiare. :)
    As a fragrance Tiare is quite lovely and wearable - quite a bold ,modern type chypre, bright with citrussy notes and I get a whole symphony of flowers as it unfolds.

BUT for gardenia / tiare lovers this is disappointing. It's nowhere near gardenia or wonderful rich and creamy tiare. It is highly 'perfumey' on my skin .
    Dare I say this smells like a strong perfume from the 80s ??? For tiare I guess I will stick to Monoi Oil !

JonB's avatar

03 Century by Odin New York

The drydown of Century is almost identical to Gucci pour homme I. The top though is very nice, and in total, this is more complex and interesting than GPH1. Whether that makes it worth 2X the price of the Gucci is up to you.

Max1mu51's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

No matter how many times I've worn it, it keeps me intrigued. I can't stop smelling myself. Perfect warmth, perfect spice, perfect mystery. I love it. I wouldn't change anything about it. It opens up sweet and spicy from the port wine and cinnamon, and is warmed instantaneously by the leather and tobacco. Not a cigarette smoke type, but a really rich unlit pipe tobacco.

nonnative's avatar

Cabotine by Grès

Strange. This perfume stinks! Even stranger ... I like it! When I wear it I'm always aware of its presence, and this is an aspect I like in perfumes. When a parfume does't disappear after a while to my nose I can wear a parfume for myself, not only for others. Cabotine reminds me of Agent Provocateur, another "dirty" scent. But Cabotine is less sofisticated and feminine. It is bitter and uncommon. Not for everyday.

tonileefiore's avatar

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

Used to love this stuff until I became more informed about scents, fragrances, those that I REALLY love and those that love me!

I first smelled Arome 3 on a woman after moving to New York City in 1995. She was exiting a restaurant as I was entering and I couldn't believe how great she smelled! I asked her, "What is the fragrance you are wearing?" She replied, "Arome 3 by D'Orsay...you can buy it at Aedes des Venustas in the Village." Well, off I went, bought up the stuff and wore it daily for a couple of years...I never got any compliments though :0(

I recently received several samples of the fragrance after a purchase. Yes, I remember it well but now all I can smell is lavender with some moss (maybe vetiver, even)? SCREAMS lavender...that's about it. Reminds me of the diffuser oil I have in my bathroom. Great sillage (obviously), great longevity. A bit too soapy for me now. All I can think of is "Glade" whenever I smell it.

How times change. It's an okay fragrance but I'm a bit embarrassed to think I wore this nearly every day of my life for a few years. I want to wear a fragrance, I do not want a fragrance to wear me. Arome 3 is just a bit too over-the-top for me these days. Will not be wearing it again...may it R.I.P.

JessicaGrace's avatar

Amazone (original) by Hermès

Nice, casual, unimpeachable. In my opinion more of a fruity green than a green chypre, despite the alleged oakmoss in the bass. Sparkling pear at the top fades down into a faint, undefinable warm/cool bottom. Reminds me a little of Galanos. Totally pleasant, but to me unnecessary in a world that already contains Chamade and Chanel no. 19.

shamu1's avatar

Curzon by Geo F Trumper

Not bad but nothing to write home about either. Curzon is for the Victorian dandy in you - it's a heady floral masculine with a very strong oakmoss base, which I would assume makes this a chypre. A big, powdery English Lavender note segues into mildly spicy notes and what smells like pine, which is a nice touch but doesn't last long. The drydown is mainly oakmoss with some slightly peppery spice notes. I'm not crazy about the way the oakmoss drydown smells; it smells soggy and musty.

Overall, Curzon is just okay, with nothing that really stands out, other than its initial floral headiness and the dour, dreary oakmoss base. It smells very much like a cruder Cerruti 1881, without any of 1881's sparkle or cheerfulness. It smells like it came from the "Dandified Fragrances" recipe book and was thrown together in a rush. I expect better quality from G.F. Trumper than this.

MY RATING: 5.5/10

03 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2010)

shamu1's avatar

Skye by Geo F Trumper

Trumper should be ashamed of themselves releasing this. Skye is Trumper's lame attempt at producing an acquatic fragrance, which is like Creed trying to release an '80s styled Powerhouse. Thin, weak and horribly synthetic, Skye smells like dishwater in a sink. Skye is a total waste of your time and money. Truly nauseating.

MY RATING: 3/10

03 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2010)

w3pearl's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Synthetic melon, sharp ginger, some pepper and a little lime- that's what I smell in it.

Tops start kinda promissing, you can tell it's synthetic, but still have hope that it won't melt like plastic over a base on lime and ginger.

Very dissapointing. Very. Well, all 3 "un jardin" perfumes are very dissapointing... and kinda similar in composition, btw. You can clearly tell they're "family".

Kav's avatar

Woods of Windsor for Men / Gentleman by Woods of Windsor

It has been revived in the EDT. And as with so many others they felt compelled to reformulate with a base given as patchouli and wood moss. The packaging has some manner of new tribal tattoo, or is it a stylised green man under the castle and a price increase. The spray unit with 50 lb trigger pull and bottle remain unscathed. They could have gone really contemporary and placed a bean a la mescal gausino in the bottle in honour of the accountants who took over.

03 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 October, 2010)

kpointer101's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I love this one. I prefer this to the Creeds that I own. This is my favorite fragrance that I own at this time. Completely inoffensive, and the only reason this would get negative reviews is because it is by Calvin Klien. I've noticed that the more expensive a frag is on BN, the better reviews it gets.

BayKAT's avatar

Acaciosa by Caron

A big thank you to Mysticknot, who graciously helped me in my quest to try all Carons by providing a generous sample :-)

Because I don't see the notes listed, here they are: rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, orange blossom, ylang ylang, pineapple, jasmine, sandalwood, amber, vanilla, musk

Blame it on just returning from Maui, but i do detect the pinapple here, and it is delightfully crisp and mouth watering. I've read that pineapple contains an ingredient that is supposed to help with depression. Indeed, whenever I am anxious i tend to crave it. How interesting that this note caught the perfumer's nose in 1924, which was firmly in the grip of the optomistic, sky is the limit, roaring 20's.

This is a happy scent. It is also one of the few (the first for me, actually) Caron's that opens pleasantly from the first spritz; there is no wait time while it develops. During the dry down this does get sweeter, channeling that aspect of the twenty's where people had too much of a good thing. Like others have said, it is a bit pungent, which works here by holding the jasmine at bay. This is another star on the Caron 'how did we do this week' sheet.

BayKAT's avatar

Idylle by Guerlain

I like this.

No, it's not a chypre, i agree. Yes, it is a floral; a soft, very rosey one.
    All I can say is: I very much enjoy my own company when I'm wearing this scent. Is it complex? Nope. Is it ground breaking? Nope. Is it original? Nope again.

This is just a high quality, sophisticated floral that you could easily wear to work, as you would not have to spend one second wondering if your scent was too strong or offensive.

This is what i would wear to a dinner party, or to the ballet, movie, gathering, etc. etc.
    It's a respectable, conservative, classy fragrance.

Miss Denise's avatar

Virgilio by Diptyque

Virgilio is not GREEN to me, it's the scrubby, lower-case gray-green of wild herbs baking in the August sun. It's also bracing, cool (the mint) and refreshingly adamantly un-sweet.

No one has mentioned oregano but I get that herb, very diffused and almost abstracted, more than basil. This is a masterful and austere blend, capturing the kind of natural wild living Mediterranean resinous herbal incense that rises from the hillsides of Crete (and the Southern California coastal ranges) in late summer afternoons as the ocean breeze (the subtle saline underpinnings of Virgilio) kick in.

Also reminiscent of the wafting top note as someone walks by at a distance wearing the long lost Max Factor masterpiece Geminesse.

Bring it back, Maxie, all is forgiven.

damageinc's avatar

cK be by Calvin Klein

Ok, so I have been procrastinating on doing a review and now I'm fire up and I'm ready. This cologne smells very good. I would almost go as far as saying that this could be my signature scent, but there is a major problem with this cologne. It doesn't last more than 60-90 minutes. I don't think I have tried any cologne with a little staying power as this one. It also does not project well at all. It is like it should be used as a very nice smelling bathroom spray, because the top notes drop in ten minutes. Some people may argue that they can get several hours out of it, and to them I say "stop walking around with your wrist shoved up your nose".

Aphrodisiac's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I had this fragrance forced on me not long after it came out. I was in a cigar lounge and a woman in her 40s or 50s had just bought a bottle and was raving about it and was spraying it everywhere insisted my friend and I try it. Well I don't know if it was the cigar I was smoking that contributed but one whiff of the "fragrance", and I was instantly nauseas and literally ran to the ladies to puke my guts up. I felt like I had been hit by a bus, like I had the worst hangover. I had a head-ache for the rest of the night. It was the most vile, pungent smelling offensive odour! I can't believe how much she liked it!!! I have never been so repulsed by a fragrance.

tonileefiore's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Was really looking forward to trying this one after all the hype and all the great reviews here on Base Notes. I really value my fellow base noters...so I couldn't wait to purchase this fragrance and give it a whirl.

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT for me! Just your average, run-of-the-mill, non-descript, floral perfume that I have smelled a million times before at the perfume counter of any department store. Floral-y, powdery, almost grandma stuff.

Definitely not for me!

03 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

Masterly evocative scent that I even prefer over the glorious Vetiver Guerlain and the strongly earthy vetivers around a la Etro's and Route du Vetiver. In my perception this is a sort of colonial exotic vetiver that epitomizes the colonial universe with its oceanic woody ships, the spices, the epic crossings of the sea, the multicolored quarters, the islands, the elysian parrots, the white clothed traders smoking cigars, the sultry and carnal luxuriant vegetation etc. SDV is in my opinion an exotic, ozone, floral-salty vetiver, slightly citric, fruity and earthy in the top, sliding soon in to a flowery (Iris, geranium?), iodated, spicy bourbon vetiver where the vulgarity of the roots and the spices is tamed by the ylang ylang soapiness. This is the vetiver of a windy sunny day on a oceanic green coast, the iodine smell is sweetly blown on your face. At the beginning of development the fruity citric initial burst reminds to me vaguely the aroma of a mediterranean garden by coloured flowers, citrus and fruits. A touch of patchouli in the dry down enhances the exoticism of the scent and anchors this fragrance to the manly universe due to its combination with bourbon vetiver. I would wear it in a sunny, airy, busy day in Caracas or Panama City. A dreamy scent anyway. The longevity is medium for this scent that is in my opinion one of the best daily time concoctions recently (in the last ten years at least) created.

03 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2014)

LiveJazz's avatar

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

Really very nice. Agua de Loewe is aquatic but not marine. Like L'Eau Par Kenzo, it starts with sparkling but soft green/citrus notes and bring to mind not the ocean but a gurgling mountain stream surrounded by wildflowers. When I first tried L'Eau Par Kenzo, I got the same exact image. I absolutely loved the smell but remember wishing for better longevity. Loewe has granted my wish.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

An unpleasantly musty, sweet doughy fragrance with undertones of booze and Play-doh. I can't fathom why I tried this. It smells fake, like a gourmand scented candle of the worst quality. It might smell exactly like the tree in question, I don't care.

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A very lovely, summery floral composed of light, non-indolic versions of white flowers such as jasmine. It has a distinctly peachy note which I would attribute to magnolia or gardenia, but perhaps it's an effect of the citrus flowers. Luckily I don't smell any orange blossom, as I really don't think orange blossom works in supposedly "light" and "fresh" compositions, always giving instead a sickly-sweet atmosphere to the scent. La Chasse aux Papillons is girly sweet, flirty sweet, happy sweet, but never sickly sweet. It's light and innocent enough to work in the daytime and in sunny weather, yet it's all sweetly floral with no refreshingly green/citrusy/watery cologne aspects. Perfect with a 50s sun dress with a floral pattern in some light colour.

Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Whew, this is sweet! Almonds sprinkled with powdered sugar, marzipan and vanilla... It's not bad as far as gourmand scents go - the notes are natural and not sickeningly synthetic and the composition is even somewhat refreshed by a faint citrusy/green note that I suppose is the "green wheat", but I really don't see the point in smelling like a pastry shop. Besides, it seems the intense sweetness and dry powderiness combined makes me sneeze as though inhaling real powdered sugar.

maccus's avatar

Zizanie by Fragonard

A strident fragrance that might have done well in the 1930's when people showered and bathed less frequently than now, or when they were exposed to acrid and rank smelling French cigarette smoke. But for non smokers who shower daily, this excessively potent and almost nauseatingly powdery fragrance is anachronistic.

04 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2010)

chorando's avatar

Omnia by Bulgari

Omnia opens with a lovely spiced chai note. If they somehow had dirtied the opening a little to give an earthy hint it would be a dead ringer for that great combination of Chai Tea in disposable pottery cups you find all over India. As it stands i'm ok with the warm light coconut note that follows. I love Omnia and of all the scents in my wardrobe this is one of the best at creating a cosy enveloped sense of wellbeing. When you wear Omnia everything seems ok with the world.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Odalisque by Nicolaï

I've now tried Odalisque in two formulations, modern, and vintage, and what a difference they make.

Modern Odalisque is a pleasant, slightly watery interpretation of jasmine that dries down to a light, subtle musk. Superior within its own genre, I find it rather uninspiring compared to the more luscious jasmine bouquets. This Odalisque is a faint hint of florals carried by a cool breeze, and I imagine pleasant-enough wearing when the weather gets too hot for more voluptuous florals.

Vintage Odalique, by contrast, was a far headier bouquet - jasmine, yes, but with lilac and orange flower nuances that bring out a certain warmth against the cool, ocean-breeze quality both formulations share. In fact, this formulation brings to mind the only aquatic floral to ever win my heart, Giacobetti's En Passant. There is both more heft, and yet also, more balance, as well as a drydown that fades much more gradually.

Both formulations are essentially jasmine, aquatics, and a cool musky drydown, but the older juice is superior to the soft, much-abridged edition on the market today.

Thumbs up for what Odalique was. Thumbs down to whoever starved it into its current waif-like state. You're not bad, Odalisque, but someone stole your mojo.

wtb's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I bought this yesterday after all the positive reviews on here and I was little disappointed. Chanel could've been more creative with this as it comes off as just another non-offending citrus scent that appeals to the kiddie masses. Anything to make an extra buck I guess... Chanel has done much better in the past and can continue to do so. However, this is a major exception. Back to the original Allure for me!

imrickjames118's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I will admit, the first 5 minutes of this frag is reminiscent of lipstick, probably due to the iris note. And unfortunately, many people immediately label DH a feminine scent to the make-up bag/lipstick it gives off. 10 minutes pass by, and the frag totally evolves: the make-up/lipstick feel turns into a powdery cocoa feel. In the drydown, which comes very quickly for me, the scent becomes so beautiful and rich that for some reason it reminds me of butter, although the scent itself smells like powdery cocoa. This is perfect for any occasion, although many may prefer it with formal wear. I get average longevity (6 hours), but mediocre sillage (stays very close to the skin). Overall, this is a must for any sophisticated, suave man.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Man, by looking at the reviews one wouldn't know what to make of this scent other than to know it isn't very aquatic. People make such a big fuss about being aquatic but at the end of the day, water doesn't have a smell. In fact, if a fragrance doesn't smell like sea water, it shouldn't be considered aquatic. That would eliminate 95% of the so-called aquatics. And let me add, the original aquatic, the great Cool Water, didn't smell much like water either, but that wasn't much of an issue.

Enough rambling from me - I just want to say that this is a solid, unique fragrance. Mrs. Herrera took a gamble by creating an oriental-aquatic but I thoroughly enjoy it. Its the one scent from my collection I can put on without having to worry about any notes smelling funky or out of place. The smell is pleasant, lasting, well-balanced and multi-faceted. Though it is slightly sweet, and slightly powdery, it still manages to be masculine by the deft use of woods and spices. If I had to describe it in three words, they would be FRUITY (due to fig and mandarin), FRESH, & SOFT. Girls like it and its just right for the spring to fall months. What more could one ask?

Well done Mrs. Herrera.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

I really tried to like this one, I gave it several chances but I just don't get a pleasant experience with this cologne. On my skin, this scent is more similar to vinegar than to any of the top notes described in the pyramid. The opening of this is very sour and abrasive to my nose. When the top notes fade and the pineapple comes out, the scent transforms into something more bearable, but not wonderful enough to make up for the unpleasant opening. I wish I had a better experience with this scent, but as it stands, it's just not made for me.

orrisboy's avatar

Omnia by Bulgari

Insipid thin chocolate. Not good. And vanishes soooo quickly. Actually reminded me of vending machine hot chocolate when I was a student, that sort of malty water thing with just the slightest whisper of anything vaguely cocoa. The orange note is vile, tic-tac orange with a whiff of Sanatogen multi vitamin. From the house that bought us Black and The Vert. Sad.