Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

orrisboy's avatar

Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears

A slightly guilty buy. But it kinda felt right. I was having another one of my tired-of-niche days and was wandering through over heated department stores, dodging the nuclear-tinted sales girls & boys that seem to have 7 second memories and return to worry you oh so quickly. This is neon bright fragrance, Las Vegas night time, lashings of bruised summer fruit and creamy lactonic floral heavy breathing wrapped around a pole dancing heart. Each of the Britney scents has been heading toward this plush, eye-popping exercise in garish joyful bouncy castle perfumery. Don't be a snob, try something a little trailer trash, you never know.....

MFJ's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Herbal-green, resinous, with a nice touch of sweet spices. Another marvelous and understated work of Olivia Giacobetti.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Heat by Beyonce

Seriously,every Tom Dick and Harry just has to have their own scent these days. I wouldn't mind if they smelt unique or memorable. I was told this was a top seller at Macy's .Sweet, musky ,generic - for people who don't want to think about what they smell like but want to pretend they will get to be Beyonce for a a few hours. I doubt she wears this herself.

Theasylph's avatar

Zarita, The Doll Girl by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

plastic orange creamsicle with a base of clean musk. I like it at the immediate moment it hits my skin but it takes on a steep decline into artificialness after that. I've noticed BPALs vanilla and cream notes go completely plastic on me.

mermaidgirl's avatar

Millennia by Avon

Millennia has been gone many years, and I still mourn the loss. It smelled like heaven, and there has never been another fragrance like it. I will never understand why Avon discontinued the best perfume ever created (yet they still manufacture some of the extemely revolting "originals" which I won't name but you probably know).

Aredore's avatar

Attraction by Lancôme

Attraction opens with green notes and florals, but the musky, vanillic "skin" scent dominates the composition. It's billed as sexy, modern evening scent, which it is.

But it's sweet - almost sticky sweet. The cedar, patchouli and iris have to work to keep the scent "grounded." It's a mature scent, something I could imagine a ladder-climbing buisness woman wearing once "juicy couture" was no longer acceptable but before she gets her "perfume clue."

Overall, it's not bad. It's just not great.

04th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 12th July, 2010)

Archaeolibris's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I confess, I am a bit of a niche perfume snot. I tend not to give highly commercial fragrances much of a chance for fear of being doused by a counter attendant in headache-inducing, 90%-diesel-fuel EDT's that reek mostly of expensive and clueless desperation . . . BUT . . . I was so pleasantly surprised by Burberry London.

It's a laced-up fragrance with a sophisticated and contemporary twist. Right out of the bottle you get a really soft green bergamot and a sagey-dry lavender, soft powdered leather, like Victorian frangiapanni gloves, but with a lot of elegant structure from the sweet tobacco and oakmoss on the bottom. I absolutely love the wonderful solar tobacco accord in this scent which stays on loud and proud through the dry down-- all 6 or so hours of it. It is so warm and bronzed that it almost reads as black tea. The silage is good but not amazing-- not a problem for me since I like to wear scent that stays close to the skin, and I find London to be one of those scents that you wouldn't want to catch wind of unless you were close enough to be dancing, it really requires that underlying warmth of human skin to come off at its best.

My skin tends to sweeten scents that are a bit more masculine, and this scent could be very masculine on some, but I am a woman (who loves ballsy leathery scents and unisex chypres) and I feel very confident wearing this scent out in a elegant vintage 30's dress. It's intellectual but just dissident enough to be both serious and a bit iconoclastic. Some have raved about the port wine note, but it's truly not very prominent on me-- it is not the least bit boozy. I would mention, too that while it seems at first to be a cool-weather favorite, the woody tobacco and mimosa in the drydown actually make it comfortable for warmer weather, it has a bit of a sun-baked dried-hayfield in it, especially when you're warm yourself.

Stray's avatar

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

siiiiiigh. I liked it...I thought it was kind of interesting, a leather that was different from what I've smelled before...a rude leather. I thought it was a fantastic match with my skin, saleswoman (whose opinion I trust in this case) agreed. Wore it out of the shop to see how it was after a few hours. I really enjoyed that it was a bit louder than the leathers I usually wear, and after the first few minutes it grew a pleasant sweetness that I couldn't really place. All good so far.
    I then met up with some friends... who thought it just stank. I liked it enough that I didn't really want to believe them... but then, about 40 minutes after aplication the spritzed arm got red and itchy --I had to scrub the stuff off with soap and hot water, and remained slightly itchy (though not red at least) for the rest of the night. I have NEVER had a reaction like this to a perfume, I don't know what was in there that did it.... so this will have to be a thumbs down for me....

ceelouise's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

I know this is a favorite among fragrance heavy-hitters, like the writer for Bois de Jasmin. But it's not for me. I expected something far more green, but on my skin it was very sweet and more white. It reminds me of the strong sweetness of White Linen, but I much prefer the latter. (Some would say it works bettter with my chemistry.) Also, I expected something appropriate for office settings, but on me it certainly is not - again, too much high-pitched sweetness (is that aldehydes?).

ceelouise's avatar

A Scent by Issey Miyake

The first minutes on the strip were incredible. So very green and fresh, but not too chemical as often happens. That beginning green freshness - a bright green cologne - brought a distinct vision: the efficient wife and mother I'd be wearing "a scent". I'd rise in the morning, dress and put on full makeup, and then descend to the kitchen to prepare eggs and bacon for my Mad Men style husband, wafts of "a scent" complementing my retro housewifely perfection and energy. As I wandered the shopping mall with the strip to my nose, I actually anticipated a change in lifestyle thanks to "a scent". (I currently breakfast in pj's.)
    But an hour in, "a scent" becomes Maurice Roucel's Envy. And then the drydown is boring and weak. I love Envy, and it lasts a lot longer - and I don't need another plummy green scent.
    Also, the bottle isn't all that original - look at CKone - the citrus version of "a scent", with a similar bottle.

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Received this as a gift a couple of years ago, it was love at first sniff, oh what a delight.. Hugo Boss #6 is candy sweet (sometimes cloying in the heat) , fruity , elegant fragrance. It's hip , modern and better suited for the youth.

It's so interesting, inspiring, evocative, provocative, the apples blasted in the top-notes get surrounded by the flower based mid-notes : tagetes, geranium and cloves, simply genious. A signature fragrance of my youth, a reflection of my ego.

Longevity : average to good
    Projection: very good
    Versatility : average. I now wear this casually, often as a night fragrance, but sometimes during the day when I'm in the mood.
    Rating: ***** (5 out of 5 stars)

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Uomo? Moschino first impressions: my god this is the fragrance kings of portugal, spain or other mediterranean empires would wear. It's so distinctive, so classy. light yet warm. I second the fact that it emulates an Italian aura, a lady-killer tanned italian aura, something like that.

Most versatile fragrance my nose has met.
    Longevity: average
    Projection: good
    Rating: ***** (5 out of 5 stars)

Golden Oak by Dragonfly Blue

Golden Oak perfume oil smells edible at first vanilla and something it gradually adds a nutty flavor with a touch of woodsyness as if someone is burning a oakleaf pile nearby.
    I like this as a gourmand and it could work for men too -if they like vanilla a lot.

Mocha by Dragonfly Blue

Mocha is the only scent claiming to smell of chocolate that actually does to my nose,others smell only creamy.Mocha is coffee and chocolate plain and simple and would be a perfect scent for barristas everywhere.

Samarkan's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Essence Pure pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

At first it remind me of Cool Water but after couple of weeks using it, I felt that this has something interesting. The ozonic notes and warm aquatic aura due to it's cedar ingredient really make Essence Pure is little different from other aquatic fragrance.

4 Hours longevity, polite silage and casual/easy going impression. That's all. Basically, I like it but not love it. Use it prior to swim and see how it evolve then. AWESOME..!

Samarkan's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Encre Noire by Lalique

A blind buy that bring pleasant surprise. You guys are right, this is a good, VERY GOOD fragrance. Now, one of my top 3. The only complaint is the wooden cap isn't completely fit with the sprayer/bottle. No big deal, I can live with that. A thumb up for sure.

coco the seraph's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

When I first tried this, in EDT from a smelling strip, I was intrigued in part and disappointed in part; I wanted to like it but like gin at five (only the smell!) and Guinness at twenty one it was a struggle...

And then something clicked as it much earlier did with gin and then Guinness.

And when I smell it now, in EDP, I am every time astonished by its remarkable radiance; it shares a certain undefinable lustrous glow with high carat gold that is truly beautiful and truly irresistable.

Putting a man on the moon? Pah! Gold, Guinness, gin and Mitsouko are the truly great human achievements.

BayKAT's avatar

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

I admit- after trying Le Derriere du Morocain I wrote off Tauer altogether. Fortunately a generous Basenotes friend did not let me get away with it :-)

This is much better, (and wearable!) This morning I woke up in a Nahema frame of mind, so it was a good day to sample a new spicy rose. Unfortunately for Maroc pour elle though, the comparison didn't tip in it's favor.

Nevertheless, this is a smouldering, warm, slightly spicy floral. When I first put it on i thought "Wow, must buy!" As time went on though it slipped away much too fast.
    This is an edgy, gritty rose that I imagine is a great fit for those who have hte attitufe to pull it off. I wish I could, but this seems to be one of those houses that gives me the blow off :-(

's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

If you want to feel calm and confidence, it's a good choice. you can be sure that most of the people will like it. Distribution is about 1 or maximom 1.5 meter. you can wear it in every where, every time and every situation. It's fine for daily use.
    And yes!! it's smoky, vanilla, spicy, Cocoa, coffee ,...
    but it was not sweet for me.
    Enjoy it!

gmb's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

I like the opening, with its herbal citrus tea notes, and and the move to more floral middle, but neither of them lasts very long on my skin. After about an hour, it moves to more or less sandalwood, with very little tea or anything else. This lasts well, and is pleasant enough, but is nothing particularly special.

Mindphlux's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

This is a decent enough of a scent but it didn't do much for me on the account thats its rather generic. The smell is nothing new or different, really. If you enjoy darker citrus scents then this one is for you, but as for me, I pass.

AdamOhio's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I'm giving a thumbs up to DE, partly in protest to how difficult it is to find something unique and clearly not feminine. Obviously there are other ways to do this, and no doubt with more refinement than DE, but, again... just in principle, thumbs up!

Quicksand's avatar

Magical Moon by Hanae Mori

She walks into the room, long hair, nails done with color polish, body to die for with the latest handbag on her shoulder. She is uncommonly gorgeous and she knows it but she will never boast, instead she'll show you if you watch her. The way she winks, smiles, walks, the way she handles men in public! She is not in the middle of the dance floor, she is in the VIP section drinking champagne, shaking her head to the music. She is an unique blend of super sweet and mystery. You can see her face when she's not around you.

Thats Magical Moon!!

tonileefiore's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Went to a Neiman Marcus the other day to purchase a fragrance that they did not have in stock. Sales gal tried to turn me on to a Creed "Unisex" fragrance. I told her that "I wore Santal Imperial, Millesime Imperial and Tabarome Millesime on and off, regularly, for a few years" and upon doing so, decided that many of "The House of Creed fragrances were just not for me...too masculine...becoming too main stream." She insisted, I complied. Can I hear assertiveness training????

Blecccch...is all I can say! Without knowing a thing about its history, this fragrance conjured up images of an old man, in an old gray wool suit (badly in need of dry cleaning...the suit, not the old man), with an unclean & not regularly washed body, who chain smokes several packs of old Lucky Strikes daily. Now, end the imagery with the old man dousing himself in Ralph Lauren "Polo" (that has turned) to cover up his "odor." YUCK...and the scent would not go away.

I was out in my acreage several hours after my Neiman Marcus trip and a neighbor came over with his 5 month old baby, to say "hi." I've baby sat the baby who promptly started to cry when I held him. Neighbor said, "It must be that perfume...he's not used to those types of odors!"

Embarrassing...won't be buying this one, ever.

04th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 25th October, 2011)

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

This used to be one of my signature fragrances in the 1990s (when it was simply called 'Man'), and it's still my all time favourite male scent alongside Tsar. This teutonic masterpiece had a dense fruity & spicy smell, like ripe plums and mulled wine, with a warm base of moist pipe tobacco, amber, patchouli and leather making it utterly masculine and best suited for evening or winter wear IMO. I also thought the smell was a touch synthetic, that I liked to think gave it an inspired modern interpretation of a traditional masculine powerhouse e.g. a Quorum. I thought a fragrance like this was too good & stylish to use every day, and so kept it for special occasions only - when it always garnered compliments. The highest compliment I can give is that I'd take this hands down over any current classic in the genre like Joop! Jump, or even the great Azzaro Pour Homme. Great minimalistic bottle design too (keeping to Jil Sander's design ethos) and startlingly deep purple colour of the liquid. Nirvana. Who the @%£* decided to discontinue this?!

Just a quick note on some of the threads I've noticed below: As I've strongly hinted in my review already, Jil Sander "Feeling Man" used to be called Jil Sander "Man" for a while after it first came out. I know, because I've had several bottles of both and can tell you that I noticed absolutely no difference in their smell, silage, longevity, scent colour, (a greenish purple), bottle design, or packaging (red box). The only difference between them was in their names and the script used: "Man" was in bold block capitals, and Feeling Man in title case italics. BTW, I wasn't too happy with the unexpected name change as "Feeling Man" still sounds a bit sissyish to me.

04th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2012)

Apricot by Dragonfly Blue

According to the website :"Luscious sweet Apricot!" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ My review :Apricot is a fruity floral .It has some green notes that seem to keep it from a too sweet direction.I like it .

04th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 24th February, 2013)

The_Cologneist's avatar

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Time to revise another review.. my initial review of this was just sad, and quite off.

Firstly, this is a great fragrance for a more mature man who wants a fresh, almost aquatic scent, because it has a pine/mossy dry down. While most aquatics have base notes with sandalwood and musks, this one has a more mature vibe.

The opening, I get a citrus blast, not the typical boring bergamot, but a nice combo of clementine and lime. The middle is certainly green and dewy, (wet green notes) with its listed "green notes". The "fresh wet t-shirt" mid note is a bit silly though. Let's say for arguments sake, you have a new t-shirt and it gets wet.. it smells nothing like this, but I see the gimmick they were going for here, to match the bottle/name. The base is mostly pine and moss, with a hint of woods. I can smell the moss though from almost the opening notes, you can kind of tell that this one is going to go a different route. I can see why a lot of people are turned off by it, because the notes don't really match.

Give it a try though if you can get a good price on it, this is not recommended to blind buy.

04th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2014)

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Apart from Penhaligon's Lily & Spice, this is the one lily fragrance I love. While Lily & Spice is warmer and spicier from saffron, this one is cooler and more dewy/green. It's a lily scent so real I can feel the texture of the flower - from the waxy petals to the dusty pollen. The salty sea breeze aspect of the fragrance is subtle indeed.

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tend to either love or hate lily fragrances. Many of them have composty or plasticky notes I can't stand, while I love Lily & Spice and Lys Mediterranee. Un Lys is actually so-so. It's identifiably lily, but it doesn't feel real. The white floral note is too creamy, powdery, soft, it doesn't have the unmistakeably waxy quality of real lily and none of the almost decaying, intoxicating richness. It might just be that I haven't smelt the particular species of lily it's supposed to emulate, but it doesn't feel like any real flower to me, it smells like a synthetic "white floral accord" too heavy on the creaminess. Perhaps it's the supporting vanilla note? It's not a cold fragrance but it's quite cool and watery despite the powdery/creamy feeling, with a scary hint of melony/aquatic notes in the top that's enough in itself to put me off it.

Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tend to like juicy/jammy and earthy/woody rose fragrances and dislike soapy/powdery and dry/spicy ones. Rose de nuit doesn't quite fit into either of these categories, and I appreciate its originality. It has the green acidity of the rose scents I tend to like, but it's not fresh and natural like a newly plucked rose, or sweet-and-sour in a gourmandy way. Instead it's intensely dark and leathery and dryly (not muskily) animalic, in the vein perhaps of Montale's Dark Aoud, though with a much stronger sour, musty, murky aspect. That might sound like a negative judgment, but I don't mean it like that. Rose de nuit may not be pleasant, exactly, but it's certainly intriguing. It smells ancient, like some antique leather or fur accessory once belonging to a long dead lady and still smelling of her attar of roses and patchouli and mothballs. Apart from Dark Aoud, it might be somewhat reminiscent of Voleur de roses and Diorling. I'm not a rose fan in general and I don't fall madly in love with Rose de nuit, but I applaud it.