Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

Bellodgia by Caron

(Parfum review)
    In high school my French class took a field trip to St. Genevieve, MO, a French colonial village one hour south of St. Louis. We spent the day strolling idyllic streets and gleefully pronouncing words like ‘boulangerie’. Along the way we passed a group of children at the elementary school, and my friend Leslie called out “What a charming town you live in!” A small boy shouted back, “It SUCKS!”

Our tour guide was a grey haired woman who wore a blue dress and a perfume that trailed 12 feet behind her. Or so we think, because any farther away and we could no longer hear what she was saying. The scent was so strong it became another person in our group; a person no one wanted to stand next to when stuck in one of those poorly aerated, 200 year old rooms with low ceilings.

“What perfume are you wearing?” a friend asked. Our guide was too senior to recognize snarkiness when she heard it. “It’s called ‘Lilly of the Valley’” she said with a sweet smile.

To this day when I see this note listed I cringe. Bellodgia lists this note, and because of my experience with Caron strength it made me nervous.

This does go on strong, and for the first hour I sported the same facial expression as a Frenchman listening to an American accent. In the dry down it settles into something soft and sweet, reminding me of N 5 (another sweet, yet still tolerable, floral heavy scent).

I would say this is one of the better florals out there, and although too floral for my oriental-heavy preference, I do appreciate it, and I’m glad to see it didn’t suck.

Agent Betty's avatar
    Agent Betty

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

This also reminded me of Yatagan at first, but Eloge du Traitre is fresher, cleaner, earthier. I love the way the jasmine plays with the leather. I get a bit of a sweet heady mint too, which gives the patchouli a sharp clean I really like.

szexiv's avatar
    szexiv

Weekend for Men by Burberry

So, here is the thing I BELIEVE as a fundamental truth about fragrances: they are supposed to be subtle. Scents and pheromones all play an intricate roll in the "art" of seduction, and if you embrace this ideology, you dont want to go around like a giant hemroid projecting a fragrance, especially if you're planning on being close with someone. That said, Weekend is a very subtle, yet fresh smelling scent. I will agree with most, this MAY smell a bit generic, as it is very similar to the blue/aquatic fragrances that came about in the late 90s and on. It opens with a sweet citrus note, through the heart notes I get a fresh melon note, and a slight vanilla or honey-esque note as it goes. As mentioned before, the scent doesn't project well, and I find that it's longevity isn't the best (about 4 hours). Over all, its a very clean and fresh smelling scent. As mentioned, I find it hard to believe that it's scent strength is strong enough to offend anyone. Admittedly, this isn't a fragrance that is going to appeal to people who buy into the Burberry clothing line. It, in my opinion, was meant to appeal to a younger American demographic (I say American because I believe that the Europeans are slightly more open minded in terms of wearing "older", spicier/oriental fragrances); somewhere between 18-27.
    I've worn this fragrance for a few years now, and I always get compliments on it. I find it as a fresher, less sweet, and im my opinion, better alternative to something like Acqua di Gio.

szexiv's avatar
    szexiv

Essence of United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

A lot of people, from what I understand, compare this fragrance to CK one. Now, I will say flat out that I do not recall what CK one smelled like, only that I didn't care for it. I feel like a better comparison to this fragrance would be Azzaro's Chrome. Essence opens with a light citrus note, most likely lemon, as well as some green notes. Benetton says ice tea is a note in there as well which I completely agree with, almost like a pleasant half and half Ice tea and lemonade. As it dries down, the citrus note stays, but I bet a bit of pineapple, stronger green notes, as well as various woodsy notes. As it dries down and goes into the base, the woodsy/mossy notes become more pronounced leaving a masculine, yet fresh scent. This one is definitely for the younger guys out there. I would put it between 18-26 in terms of age. My one qualm with his fragrances is its longevity. While it is a bit on the subtle side, and projects only decently with multiple sprays, the scent fades within a couple of hours. In order to get this scent to last, multiple applications and/or layering is necessary. All in all, its a young, fresh pleasant fragrance. I cant imagine anyone would be offended by this fragrance, and its pretty inexpensive.

MaatMama's avatar
    MaatMama

Azurée by Estée Lauder

Isn't it funny that three of my favorite fragrances--O de Lancome, Chamade and Azuree--are roughly the same age as I am? Interesting coincidence!

I wore Azuree today and I was feeling a little under the weather, but the leathery chypre really was a great pick me up. I am extremely pale-skinned, so fragrance doesn't last long on me...but Azuree really sticks and once those bossy topnotes die down, the heart and the drydown are just a great spicy floral, a little aldehydic--more interesting than most of the Estee Lauder oeuvre, and the diametrical opposite of all those fruitchouli celeb juices flooding the market these days. I got a compliment on it right around the time that my first application of fragrance is usually a memory; Azuree definitely agrees with me.

MaatMama's avatar
    MaatMama

Chamade by Guerlain

Total agreement with mysticknot...this is what Heaven must smell like.

Years ago, I had a tiny EDT sample of this...it had the top that looked like a little silver acorn. My mother only wore Estee, then White Linen, so I was lucky enough to get her rejects...and there were lots of them! This one, though captivated me then and captivates me still. The green, fresh opening leading into the most subtly sexy drydown; reminiscent of a pollen-y full-blown bouquet and just a whiff of the Guerlinade vanillic funk...oh my. In it, I'm Catherine Deneuve, or Julie Christie. Classy and hella sexy. Chamade just might be the fragrance I'd take to a desert island with me.

Jasper Conran Woman by Jasper Conran

It might take me a while to get used to this. It's a crisp, hard, professional sort of smell, but I find it a bit too lemony-fresh. Other have said it's strongly floral and it reminded one colleague of a fragrance from the seventies. There is an interesting slightly coniferous mint as the flowers and citrus wear off and it seems like an interesting and well made perfume to me, although I think it would be a bit more suited to men. It is also pretty strong, although business-like enough to wear to work.

Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

I really love this. It's fabulously summery and somehow... salubrious. The golden-fruitiness reminds me of the smell of the skin of a really ripe melon - as well as being sweet and juicy there is something dusty and slightly earthy going on there too. There is also a touch of the sort of high quality, collagen-enriched shampoo I was subject to at hair salons in the eighties.

After the fruit wears off there is a comforting, sweet starchy smell, which I guess is some sort of sweet floral, and is appealing without being too obviously culinary. This fits in with what mbanderson61 has said about basmati rice. This fragrance doesn't last very long on me, but could be usefully worn to work to feel like you've just got back from your holidays.

Scent by Theo Fennell

I love this. I am often delighted by a nice smell, but this one made me cackle. The first raucously buxom thirty seconds of roses, sweet spices and something rather like bubblegum build into a monumentally sweaty moment, like the speeded up smell-biography of some sex-legend's party dress. Not everyone will like the sweat, although I think the sensitive, intelligent men will adore it and spend the whole night trying to 'understand' you. Lasts well and keeps morphing.

Neurosis's avatar
    Neurosis

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is my favorite fragrance aside from Le Male, it'd be my signature if i didn't own other stuff that i want to use up. Ill never NOT own a bottle. Now on to the fragrance review itself!

If you asked me my opinion of this 4-5 months ago, i would've told you this is the absolute worst fragrance EVER. the first time i smelled it it was like someone blew up a room filled with fragrance oils - my inexperienced nose could NOT take it. Something about it never stopped interesting me, i think it was all the reviews talking about chocolate, caramel, mint, and vanilla (my favorite flavors and smells). So i braved up and tried it again a month or two later. I could smell it without getting a headache which was a plus and there was something addicting about it. I got a sample bottle and kept trying it. Try 1, patchouli patchouli, patchouli! there was no chocolate, caramel or anything like it. Try 2, i started to get the gourmand notes, and by the third try i knew i HAD to own this fragrance. I wont go in depth with the notes as that's been more than covered by everyone else, what i must say about the notes is that people WILL smell this differently. I've had someone say it smells like pine sap and incense, while at the exact same time someone else immediately recognized it as similar to Angel with the gourmand notes, to myself its a gourmand that transitions from a great latte', then straight patchouli, then a milky caramel, and finally a vanilla, chocolate, and some caramel. Everyone smells it SO differently and I think that's what makes this so unique

Overall its an incredible fragrance, a must try for anyone as it is mind-opening and nose-opening: nothing else smells like it, and for someone who is just getting into fragrances, it will make you realize there's more than just aquatic, light fragrances out there.

05 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2010)

Neurosis's avatar
    Neurosis

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Male is the first powdery scent ive owned. i bought it 100% blind based on what ive heard/read about it. all i knew is it was a gourmand, which i love, and had vanilla, my favorite note and one of my favorite flavors for that matter.

on my first spray i thought "wow! this is different." wasnt a bad thing either, i really liked it. it ended up drying down into a sweet powdery scent, almost like a sweet baby powder with some sweetening notes to it; i loved this part as well.

then came the dry down, the part that ultimately counts (hey its the part that lasts the longest after all!). WOW! if you like vanilla like i do, doesnt matter if youve sampled this or not, BUY IT. I own John Varvatos the original and i loved the vanilla drydown of it. Le Male is the best vanilla dry down ive ever smelled, and the best part of it, the longer its warn, the better it gets! at some point it starts to reach an almost sugar cookie with extra vanilla sweetness.

if you dont like strong sweet scents, i cant say dont try it, but chances are this isnt going to be your next fragrance. If you love vanilla/sweet fragrances, this might be your next signature scent!

Deviant's avatar
    Deviant

Armani Attitude Extreme by Giorgio Armani

I first smelled this in a tiny magazine sample, and liked it so much that I went to buy a 30ml bottle. The opening is strong and sweet, but the smell can turn synthetic and sickly. While some of the notes are slightly jarring and soapy, the fragrance overall is smooth, pleasant and fairly strong. The amber, patchouli and lemon notes are the most prominent. I thought the fragrance contained vanilla, but I was wrong.

cherrycherrybangbang's avatar
    cherrycherrybangbang

Twilight Woods by Bath and Body Works

Decent, it has a sweet scent, but it's not overpowering, but a bit too musty for my taste.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Unadulterated class, this legend was a fave of Sammy Davis, Jr. Think he scored while wearing this? Pound for pound probably the greatest lemon-based fragrance in a man's arsenal. Most poop out early but this one seems to stay on the dance floor until Paul Chambers starts packing up his bass. The drydown is perfection, the bottle a classic French work of art and for the price this is better than many more expensive perfumes. This is one of my go-to perennials and it never fails. In my Top Ten, without a doubt.

05 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2011)

That Man by Revlon

The header states that this is in production, but I'm not sure that's accurate. It is, however, available via ebay. Definitely of the old school, it's Revlon's best man's scent. It is unlike anything in the current mainstream marketplace, although it is in the vein of British Sterling or Jovan Sex Appeal, both of which are still available. It has a creamy floral undertow more typical of the masculines from decades past (Tabac, Baron) and pretty good longevity. For less than $20, it's easy to recommend this modest classic.

05 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2011)

Gravel for Men by Gravel

Robert Mitchum, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr - my kind of guys. It's no surprise, then, that a 1957 effort called Gravel A Man's Cologne would appear on my radar. Until recently I had been unsuccessful in locating this grail...Parfumerie Jacqueline in San Francisco has it on the shelf and I had to get it. The smell is indeed a man's cologne, reminiscent of Caron's Pour Un Homme after shave - sharing it's nutty, vanilla base, with sandalwood featuring in place of PuH's lavender. The downside is the longevity and sillage. On me it fades within a couple of hours and it becomes very close to the skin. With the potential of the opening, this is a disappointment and at $60 US, I frankly expect a bit more horsepower. But it does smell quite good and any bottle with actual gravel at the bottom can't be all bad.

05 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2012)

lauermar's avatar
    lauermar

La Petite Robe Noire (original) by Guerlain

I concur with both of the excellent reviews before mine, except for the claim that that the Guerlinade base never asserts itself. I disagree. It appears shortly after I spray it on, and it is the reason why I like Guerlain fragrances in general. LPRN is not understated, so the fragrance isn't aptly named. But I enjoy bold statement fragrances from the 80s, and this one has the same appeal for me. I never wear it to work, and wear it sparingly when I do apply it. Weak fragrances like Lola have become the norm today due to the loud protests of the allergy crowd. For the record, I have allergies and migraines too but I don't impose my illnesses on others' choices.

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Extremely sweet gourmand: cherry liqueur, bitter almonds, marzipan and vanilla. I enjoy the cherry note and I don't mind that it's strong and sweet and boozy, but it also has a sharp, plasticky quality that makes it smell really cheap and that seems to make me sneeze as well. Actually, the plasticky quality captures the tasteless jelly that is Turkish Delight pretty well, though the choice of gourmand notes does not really reflect the bland rose water, orange blossom and pistaschio aromas of the candy.

Mandarine Mandarin by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A citrus-centred fragrance which instead of going in the fresh, light, green cologne direction surrounds the citrus with spicy and woody notes. It's not rich as one might expect from a Lutens oriental, and not gourmandy in a sweet way. Instead it's flat, thin, dry, even cool. The spices don't drown out the citrus as they might easily do, though inevitably they dominate more and more as the fleeting citrus note fades. I agree with robyogi that there seems to be immortelle (a note I'm not very fond of) in here, though the dry and aromatic aspect might also come from the smoked tea note I suppose. Unfortunately, the mandarine note taking centre stage does not smell lovely, tart and juicy like fresh mandarine at all, but sharp and synthetic, reminding me of fruity schampoo.

Fourreau Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm a bit surprised the name suggests this is a feminine fragrance. I suppose that's what's original about it, because upon first application I think it smells like a generic 21th century masculine fragrance: cool, clean and abstract with some sweetness and notes of licorice/anise, woods and nondescript florals, possibly iris. Then it turns drier, dustier, smokier and morphs into a very close relative of Gris Clair, only inferior. Gris Clair pour femme? It's the exact same combination of lavender, tonka and smoke, only muted by that "generic 21th century masculine" feeling. It's a bit sweeter, more syrupy, too I think but that doesn't detract from the "generic masculine" as they tend to be pretty sweet nowadays. I love Gris Clair and that bias makes me like Fourreau Noir as well, but I really don't see the point of such a similar scent in the same line.

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

On my skin, this is a linear orange flower fragrance, only two other notes - jasmine and tuberose - playing accompaniment. All the facets of orange flower are here in their glory, the expansive floral note underpinned with honeyed, wine-like citrus hints and the subtle, dried-sweat warmth of human skin. And yes, plenty of indoles here, though not on the sledgehammer level of A La Nuit. If there is cumin, it's astonishingly well-integrated into the accord - I'm rather sensitive to the note, yet here, it's beneath my radar.

Fleurs d'Oranger isn't a sophisticated fragrance at heart. It's a buxom bouquet of heady flowers, fresh from the garden and left unarranged in a vase. Its charm is in its naturalism rather than in abstraction, and within the Lutens' line, its relatives are soliflores like Sa Majeste La Rose and Un Lys rather than the shocking Tubereuse Criminelle or the dense Rose de Nuit.

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

In a world of fragrances that fail to live up to their promising names, Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia delivers just that - an extraordinarily pleasing and faithful rendition of the two flowers, in a warm, rich, and fundamentally linear style. Gardenia is a little more to the front and center of the picture, and this is one of the truest around. The cheesy, mushroomy quality that makes gardenia gardenia is neither missing ( as in so many gardenia fragrances ) nor overdone ( here's looking at you, Velvet Gardenia ). The tuberose is creamy rather than edgy, and it lends its strength to the accord, giving it a certain heft gardenia doesn't have on its own without fully asserting its distinct personality.

Be careful in how heavily you apply this. It is deceptively light and airy, yet just one spray generates huge sillage and lasts over twenty-four hours on me. A full-figured beauty, to be sure!

wtb's avatar
    wtb

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is an absolute summer classic that women adore to the utmost! The watermelon in this is headturning note here. The only downside is the low sillage and longevity(about 4 hours tops), however, that always me just spray more to better enjoy the scent itself and its nonoffensive so you get any woof tickets with this. Creed truly made the grade with this one! A keeper forever!

Il Bacio by Borghese

I didn't expect to love this inexpensive unnoticed perfume but I do. While the initial burst of honeysuckle, osmanthus flowers and voluptuous peaches and plums can convey a brash flirtatious personality, the sort of women who wear Versace (shudder...), it mellows quickly to a warm and delicious skin scent that hugs the body while giving off wafts of pretty, coquettish florals. The note that makes it smooth and outstandingly sweet is the honeyed osmanthus - the sweetness is neither pungent nor sugary/vanilla-ry, but soothing, intimate and rounded. It seems to be anchored in a long-lasting base of white musk, which perfectly carries, echoes and continues the beautifully blended top and middle notes of fresh flowers and succulent fruits. The sillage and longevity are amazing, yet Il Bacio gently and sensually perfumes the air like a garden does. It appears to attract men like bees to nectar - they all want a closer sniff!

Rush 2 by Gucci

This, along with Marc Jacobs, is my quick-spritz-dash-out-of-the-door perfume - it is fresh, clean, inoffensive, neutral, from start to finish. It is a slightly ozone-y green floral, with hardly any middle or basenotes to speak of. After about 15 minutes, it is barely discernible, and quite forgettable. It is however a very pleasant and neutral, almost unisex perfume, and as it is so uncomplicated and easy to use, it goes fast.

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

I've owned a bottle for a while now and spritz it on frequently together with my Gucci Rush 2. This fresh, clean, pretty scent of gardenias is charming enough but it lacks depth or complexity from start to finish - it is in no way memorable and will not complicate your day. As such, it is pleasant, subtle and will not offend others in close proximity. This, along with many others, is my quick-spritz-dash-out-of-the-door perfume.

Bouquet Impérial by Roger & Gallet

Bouquet Imperiale is a very light, bright floral citrus with hardly any sillage or longevity, it is completely appropriate as a unisex summer cologne splash as it is not likely to make an immediate impact regardless of how much of it is used. Petitgrain, bergamot and alyssum dominate the top and middle notes anchored by a slightly smoky musk that is barely discernible. It is an uncomplicated, well-behaved everyday cologne of good stock and refined temperament.

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

This pleasant perfume comes across very much like a soapy version of Fleurissimmo, with distinct detergent notes accompanying the floral accord. It is a light, clean, slightly chilled scent, pretty, non-offensive and an olfactory treat.

Lotus Bleu by Roger & Gallet

How can anyone resist a bottle of Blue Lotus? The name itself evokes reverie of exotic gardens and mysterious, intoxicating flowers blooming in incense-smoldering night. The reality though, is a bit disappointing. The scent of the fresh lotus is indeed there, sweet and powdery, unfortunately, the rest of the bouquet is non-existent. Some green tea notes seem to accompany the Lotus but the overall effect isn't a compelling presence. Sandalwood wafts wistfully as the tea retreats, a meek companion to the sweet, powdery scent of the Lotus as the flower sleeps. Having experienced Blue Lotus, I have come to appreciate how difficult it is to capture/headshop the scent of the Lotus, and how difficult it is to compose a perfume around this unusual, sweet but elusive center. This is still a pretty EdT, a little stronger than most of the Roger & Gallet colognes, but it is far away from the idea of a mysterious, seductive flower.

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

Samsara by Guerlain

I'm relieved to see Samsara has other fans -- so many people of exquisite taste dislike it so much. Me, I love it. Applied lightly, it doesn't overpower, but retains a "thick" quality to the florals, like a cordial made of narcissus and jasmine. The sandalwood has a near-gourmand quality, as in Guet Apens. Yes, it's narcotically sweet, and there is faintly "trashy" tone to the jasmine, but that tone is in Chanel no. 5, too, and (to me) that's what makes it great. Seductive. Enough sensuality to derail anyone's quest for the surrender of earthly pleasures that is nirvana.