Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Versace pour Homme by Versace

That unmistakable blue color never lies. I expected an aquatic marine fragrance and tha's exactly what I found. Blue, blue and more blue. Fresh as summer breeze would be its motto but it wouldn't be the fair words to express its fine spirit. A citric bouquet accurately mixed with green notes works better. Definitively a juvenile scent for grown men, too. Once again Versace hit the spot.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

What can I say about Dior homme Intense? this is a kinda complex men's fragrance, but wonderful anyway.I have to confess I didn't like it at first, but smelling it once and again made me loving it. Someome said it has a weird "lipstick note" in it, and yes, it does, but I guess that's what makes it so special. I notice dry flowery notes but not in a feminine way; drydown is powdery and "chocolaty", excellent sillage and longevity. So if you're looking for a classy outstanding fragrance don't doubt and buy at least one bottle, you won't regret it.

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

Yes, I'm amazed. I had never tried Ferragamo's fragrances but this one really caught me. Nothing special in bottle design but nevermind, juice is heaven. At first it reminded me of Allure by Chanel or even Givenchy pour monsieur, and sure it has those same earthy and orange notes in its base, but I have to say they work better here, Gucci's Envy pour homme also seems to be in this sofisticate scent line. Unmistikable masculine, definitevely one of a kind fragrance, dangerously lascivious. Nigh is the right time to wear it but it's good for daytime too. Get this one and compliments will rain over you. Thumbs up, of course!!!

Sugandaraja's avatar

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

For the first few minutes Jil Sander No. 4 is something rather harsh and soapy on my skin, not quite the searing floral detergent of Caron's Narcisse Noir, but none the less something sharp and rather unpleasant.

In the heart, it is at its best. I smell orange flower, jasmine, and tuberose, rich and slightly fruity as in Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger, but darker, muddier, and still retaining a slightly soapy edge.

The base is darkly floral with heavy and oriental texture distantly recalling Guerlain's Samsara.

There is depth and complexity here, but there's something ugly about this fragrance to my nose, and I can't seem to warm to it.

Bigsly's avatar

Acteur by Azzaro

I would never think of this one as an "air freshener" fragrance, and I've tried a few that I would characterize as such. However, one thing that I do get is a bit of a "boozy" quality, though there is no reason to think that would be present by looking at the note pyramid. I don't get any indolic quality, though, but you can certainly tell there is rose present. Otherwise, this is more of a blended fragrance, but it does have what I call "internal dynamism," meaning that it seems to shift and swirl around. And while I wouldn't call it "transparent," it isn't heavy or creamy either. If this was being sold by a "niche" company for $200 per 50 ml, I wouldn't be surprised. Acteur is "natural" smelling and unique. I can understand why some would call it "formal," but if you think of yourself as a fragrance aficionado, this is certainly one to consider even if you rarely attend such events. Projection/sillage and longevity are good if not great.

ccf's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

For me this one is totally skippable. Got a citrus whiff in the opening, then mostly coconut milk on me, just like Un Jardin en Mediterranee revisited, only this one's a teensy bit sweeter and lighter, with less staying power. As far as green fig scents go, Io Capri remains my choice for now.

bbBD's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

I have been transfixed by Sous le Vent since first sampling the re-issue years ago, and I have finally been blessed with a vintage EdT flacon. I'm still exploring the vintage perfume and will perhaps edit my review someday, so for now consider this review to be of the re-issued SLV (which is soon to be discontinued due to its ingredients).

From a house full of legendary chypres (Mitsouko, Parure, etc.) Sous le Vent is my favorite. The opening is lushly green yet with enough subtle carnation/clove to give it a hint of spice. The green notes never recede, and in combination with a soft and powdery iris this accord creates a soft blanket of olfactory texture over the 'chypre accord'. The chypre structure is not hidden, with hints of bergamot in the opening that gives way to subtle woody, mossy notes. Particularly beautiful is the interplay between the green notes, floral notes and oakmoss that persists for much of the life of the fragrance. Although I've only worn it today, I can tell already that the basenotes in the vintage EdT are somewhat differently structured as I'm experiencing a mix of spicy clove/carnation and oakmoss that is not nearly as distinct in the current formula.

There's no question Sous le Vent is a subtle fragrance. No bold sillage here, but this is a very good thing as it would totally inappropriate for such a subtle and layered scent to broadcast itself. It is a soft beauty. What SLV lacks in sillage it makes up for in longevity. One night a couple weeks ago I found myself utterly amazed at the gorgeous fragrance on my hand, but for the life of me I couldn't recall what I had applied. It finally dawned on me that I'd sprayed a couple zaps of SLV about 10 hours earlier.

As students of Guerlain know, one can often take a few different scents that have common themes and 'categorize' them with each other. Shalimar, Jicky, and Mouchoir de Monsieur, for example are all lavender/vanilla/citrus. Sous le Vent largely stands as an independent entity. Though Chamade is similar in it's subtle greenness and Apres l'Ondee with its powdery iris - Sous le Vent doesn't quite mesh well with these as a family. Whether you like chypres, green scents, vintage style grand perfumery, or if you just like subtle, classy and gorgeous fragrances Sous le Vent is a must-try. I can't say that those new to fragrance will necessarily be able to grasp how much is going on or appreciate that how these subtle layers make a coherent and unified whole, but for those with trained noses I can't think of too many fragrances that I'd recommend more.

Two thumbs way up.

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Encre Noire by Lalique

this does not project at all, it stays close to skin (longevity is +8h but +7h only skin scent), but I even cant describe how gorgeous the smell of EN is! mossy, very dark even dirty, gothic! my very best dark scent next to Coze and Ungaro III

msleslie's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Wearing this lovely scent is like wrapping myself in an olfactory purr. I just love it, it makes me feel pampered, polished, and affirmed on all levels of being. And that is a lot to get from a perfume!

epicurean's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love this stuff, but I do wish one could get right to the fresh-sweat-in-the-nether-regions element straight away without wading through quite so much orange rind. Don't get me wrong: the orange is wonderfully refreshing, and the scent would be lacking something without it. But a tad too much is going on there in the citrus department. I think I'll have to try mixing my own animalic ideal scent with a touch of citrus and spice one of these days, and I think it'd consist of equal parts Eau d'Hermès, Declaration and Bigarade Concentree, with a bit of Muscs Koublai Khan thrown in for good measure...

epicurean's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

I agree completely with Limony: I hadn't realized just how much I liked patchouli -- or that I liked it at all -- until I came across this one. A luxurious scent featuring a main ingredient -- patchouli -- usually associated with all sorts of stuff, though usually not luxury. Pure opulence with a nod to the bohème.

tonileefiore's avatar

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed

WOW-after recently trying many decants and samples to find a "new" fragrance and expand my very limited fragrance wardrobe, I reluctantly spritzed on Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie and I am sold!!!! I think I may have found the number #1 contender for Musc Ravageur. To me, the way JIE wears is very similar to Musc Ravageur but ooooh, so very different and incredibly wonderful!

I consider myself an animalic, spicy, spicy oriental, musk, woodsy, cedar, amber, resinous scent person, NOT A FLORAL PERSON and definitely, NOT A BIG CREED FAN! So, it was with much trepidation that I bought into the notion of trying samples and buying a few decants of Creed fragrances from a local parfumerie.

First few tries, well I wasn't too sure at all. The initial Jasmine, slight rose and mild powdery notes confused my sensibilities. But then it started...the incredible mid-notes and wonderful dry-down emerged...amber, wood, sandalwood, some vanilla (not gourmand)...staying power with just enough "closeness to my skin" (so soothing to me), moderate sillage to soothe others-smile...the gentle wafts (just the right amount) of the beautifully combined scents for hours after...HEAVENLY!!!

JIE is without doubt the first and only floral fragrance I could even consider wearing on a regular basis. I purchased an "open tester" for 20% less than the cost of an unopened 2.2ml bottle, just in case. While I agree that the combination notes make this fragrance unique and not "mainstream" by any means and YES, JIL is not a scent for the masses, for now I am a happy woman! I feel feminine but strong, confident and womanly, unique & different, warm and lovable, approachable & not off-putting and, well I smell GREAT wearing this scent...it feels just right!

Let the compliments flow!!!

shamu1's avatar

Eryo by Yves Rocher

Eryo is a very good spicy and woody oriental. The real standout aspect of this scent is the sharp woodiness and spices, which give this some teeth and last a good while. It's an oriental because of the vanilla in the base, but it's not heavy or super-sweet. If you like Arpege Pour Homme and are looking for something a bit spicier, Eryo may be just right for you. Excellent.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

07 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2010)

shamu1's avatar

Altikä by Yves Rocher

Altika may not be the most original scent in the world, but it's still very good. It's a "fresh" fragrance, but it's not dull like most of the genre. It's mostly cedar with a touch of vanilla to round it out and give it a little sweetness, and some sort of woody amber or "ozone" note to give it a crisp, airy smell. It's quite a simple scent, but I actually find this quite invigorating and refreshing, even though I normally can't stand these types of fragrances. I don't agree that this is only appropriate for young college-age guys - a guy over 40 can easily pull this off well. It doesn't last very long - about 3 or 4 hours - but this is not an expensive fragrance and it smells really good, so it is worth picking up.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

07 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2010)

Jack's avatar

Orange Spice by Creed

Little like kuros, just smoother. I think its very good.

07 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2010)

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Him by Bond No. 9

This upon first sniff doesn't really compell anybody or seem particularly unique or worth the money. After it dries down this really shines. It's a spicy, semi sweet incense with a wood base and subtle black pepper and chili. The chili is the intriguing part of this fragrances combined with the incense and smells quite unique. The quality is there but this is a typical genre so it can easily be categoried with many other scents including designer scents. Regardless, it's still top quality although, I don't believe it's worth the retail value.

Armor King's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

Fresh and metallic as others stated. The problem with this this one is it smells too much like a bodywash type scent and not a fragrance. It's pretty generic and just kinda smells like aftershave. Pass on this one.

upsilon's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

An incredibly sexy, soft leather-musk scent. One of the few fragrances that made me think "wow" once I smelled it on my girlfriend. I had no idea before hand it was a Serge Lutens creation, I just said "woah...what is it?!".

This works wonderful on a woman. It is subtle, so you won't be whipping heads around as you walk past. But this subtlety translates to a very classy presence that'll have your man going wild once he gets close enough to catch your scent.

With all that being said, it does indeed have an edge. So much that my lady thought it might be a bit too masculine. I respectfully disagree; in theory it can be worn by both sexes but I have a difficult time decided when and how a man can use this. Never fear, I might steal a few sprays to see if I can ever justify wearing it myself!

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia

I used to like the Parfum version of Teatro Alla Scala: on me it was exactly like Opium, though a little less sweet. Such a pity it's been discontinued.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Night Scented Stock by Penhaligon's

Has anyone else noticed that Night Scented Stock smells like a light, floral-centric take on Jaipur Homme? Very light. I like this a lot.

poppacooter's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

this is the one, the one cologne that smells fresh and inviting and does not give me a migraine, if your looking for a simple but great cologne that is non offensive then this is it. a must sample.
    1.projection = good
    2.versatility = excellent non offensive
    3.lasts 8-10hrs on me
    4. has become my signature scent.
    5.would recommend to a friend.
    6.good for anytime wear... because it's non offensive.
    7.very clean smelling....oh did i mention non offensive.

BayKAT's avatar

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I was curious about this scent because of the fabulously descriptive reviews, but felt like I approached it wearing blinders.

It's not that i dont get this one, I just don't have an opinion on it. I had to wear it four times before reviewing because I'm putting it on, and yes i can smell it, but it doesn't last long enough to evaluate.

This is not a scent i dislike, this is not a scent that I love. This is just a scent that i tried.

It opens big and yellow for me; quite sweet actually, and this phase I'm 'eh' about. I don't get a dry down, but I do have something lingering on my clothes. I can't say this is musky, and I can't say it's dirty body-like, it's just a scent that is hanging on my clothes.

hmm... sorry, I don't have anything more to add for this one.

's avatar

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

So light. And simple. similar water! I like the scent. But it's not my taste. Suitable for summer and spring, lasting is 50-50, it has problem in distribusion. It doesn't have anything to bother me. But i should not buy this one!
    I like top note. top is Citrus. And Musk is in Base. it is so little spicy, Maybe for Coriander or Virgina Cedar.

danielremy's avatar

France France

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

I am roman catholic and this is exactly the smell of my church in the South of France after the sunday mass. But, ... I don't really feel for smelling mass...
    So IMO, a very good frag to smell but not to wear...

AntFarmer's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

The EDT of Shalimar smells like a cheap mess on my skin, although it was intended, and is regarded, as a masterpiece by many people coming from a respected perfume house. I have yet to find a Guerlain I can wear.

Initially, I get a whiff of lemon and kitty litter. When it dries down I get a strong powdery scent with a little bit of cat litter in the background. When I sampled this I got the mental image of a grey tabby cat wearing a bonnet and wire-framed glasses selling lemonade out of its litter box. Why does my chemistry always sour up the classics. (Sigh)

Bigsly's avatar

273 Rodeo Drive for Men by Fred Hayman

This is something of a traditional, dry, herbal fougere. Don't think you are getting a fragrance that is very close to Antaeus with 273. I don't find there to be much of a similarity at all, actually. The top notes could be similar (both may have a strong lavender note, for example), since I avoid top notes as much as possible, but the rest is very different. Antaeus features strong beeswax and castoreum notes, which are totally absent in 273. Instead, it is closest to Jacomo de Jacomo (1980), once the strong clove note in JdJ dissipates (note that 273 is woodier). 273 is a simple fragrance, but it does a lot with a little, and doesn't have a "synthetic" or "chemical" quality. For the first hour or so, there is a smokey and almost phlegm-like quality, but it's quite interesting once you get used to it, and a nice change of pace when you are in the mood for it. It takes quite a while for the cedar to emerge, and it's not that strong. The amber and oakmoss continue for a long time. Longevity and projection/"sillage" are very good, but you have to be careful with olfactory fatigue with this one. You can buy this one very cheaply now, so unless you don't like the notes listed, it's definitely worth considering. What I find interesting about it is that it has an almost "niche"-like quality, in that it focuses on a small number of notes and is natural smelling. Moreover, I'm not sure for what social occasion this is intended, if any. It's a bit harsh at first, so many wouldn't want it as an "office fragrance." It's clearly not "romantic," nor is it for partying. I guess it could be good for some sort of leader or boss who wants everyone to know who is in charge.

07 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 April, 2011)

From Smoke's avatar

Marescialla by Santa Maria Novella

Marescialla is a fascinating blast of perfume history. Spicy and warm it truly lives on the body in the way some of the older perfumes do-- sometimes blending with our human odors, sometimes masking them, or running parallel to them.

Wearing Marescialla makes me think of the ancient ways we humans used to perfume ourselves: wearing coronets of herbs, keeping spices in personal pomanders, having sprigs of green pinned to our clothes or braided in our pockets.

The shot from the bottle is strong and medicinal-- making the link between Farmacie and Parfumarie perfectly clear. You may wonder if you've made a terrible mistake, but be brave and patient, after about half an hour the herbs and spices balance out and I'm rewarded with at least eight hours of gorgeous herbage.

There are no floral notes. There are no "Sugar" notes. There is no vanila. There is no modern smoothness to the composition. What you get is a thrilling whiff of olfactory history-- as exciting and romantic to some as it is off putting to others.

07 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2012)

Shifty Bat's avatar

Deep Night by Ghost

Deep Night is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. The peach and apricot combine with something else, perhaps vanilla, to make an almost grape-like accord. The musk and woods create a smoky, sensual feeling. This reminds me a bit of Antonio by Antonio Banderas, only more fruit-forward and many times superior. This is certainly among the best feminine scents out there. This is aside from having the coolest bottle around.
    The witch on the broomstick crossing a crescent moon on the back of the box is also excellent.

Edit: Over the last couple years I've made the connection that Deep Night smells very similar to the vanilla makeup/rose of S de Scherrer, which is almost certainly a (very good) budget copy of Hypnotic Poison. In retrospect I realize that Scannon most certainly copied Dior's approach with this project but I couldn't pick a favorite between them; it's like being told to ask out one of two slightly different but very beautiful twins. Deep Night is very linear but, despite at first it seeming like it's just going to be a night with tea cakes and fruit, is a rich smell full of nuance. It is a choir of twelve singing the same octave - space out and you'll miss it.

Simple, maybe overly so, but after five years of exposure this is still easily one of my favorite feminines I have ever encountered.

07 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2014)

ComDiva's avatar

Baghari by Robert Piguet

Reformulated or not, Baghari just SINGS on my skin. This floral chypre somehow manages to keep the powdery violet notes at bay for me... And the jasmine doesn't brown or decay. Gorgeous, elegant, and the aldehydes sparkle like champagne. I'm in love...

08 May, 2010

ComDiva's avatar

Hyperessence Matale 12 by Parfumerie Generale

Love this stuff, but couldn't justify buying both this AND the L'eau Rare Matale, which while ephemeral, was really more of what I wanted in a layered and complex tea fragrance. However, thanks to a great sale, I am now the proud owner of BOTH and will use the Hyperessence to boost the delicious aspects of the L'eau Rare Matale and make them last. Bravo.

08 May, 2010