Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Buzzlepuff's avatar

IZOD by IZOD

Of all the fresh wanna be fragrances out there this one actually does its job and has nothing to object to while covering you with a clean freshness. I think of this as a fresh scent rather than aquatic. It occupies the same category of fragrances where you find Escentric Molecules, Wicken 3000, Antimatiere, CdG Soda, Outrageious and Colonia Intensa. This is a very practical scent to have around when the weather gets hot.

The opening is sparkling citrus plus a hint of mint with cucumber and this quickly layers over an ultra light and dry synthetic cotton scent. Thats about it in the scented notes cateogry as far as I can tell. Whatever the basenote is, it is very lightly done (very dry tobacco??) and does not overpower the original cucumber + mint + cotton freshness which stays for quite a while. So, when its HOT outside and you want something that gives you a burst of clean fresh coolness - IZOD is the one. You might have to refresh it after about 4 hours, but it is a pleasant experience. They also make body spray that smells the same and is easier to apply a needed heavier dose. I think IZOD smells way better than Woolite, Windex and almost all of the blue aquatic scents that litter the shelves at the mall and it works well to add freshness to the body in summer heat. Thumbs up!

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

When I first sprayed it, a delicious lemony note intoxicated me and suddenly it became a bit sweet, not tutti-frutti sweet, a darker sweet smell. But It was just for some minutes, maybe an hour. Then, a powdery note took place (Always surrounded by the lemony note) and I could smell the base notes, more formal, where the moss and patchouli could be perfectly noticed. I agree that It's not exactly sporty: Moss and Sage's notes gives it the nice formal aspect I said above, while lavender, lemon and bergamot notes brings us a refreshing and modern smell which combined produces a versatile fragrance, as If you could mix Armani pour homme with Z Zegna.
    A nice work from Lanvin's house!

Suppressor's avatar

He Wood by Dsquared2

I absolutely love this stuff!
    From first sniff I was impressed and I knew I needed to buy it immediately. Funny how other users also had this experience.
    Every time I apply it, I'm just smiling at how good this is. Sometimes I just take the bottle and sniff the spray head. It's modern and sexy. You will stand out from the overly popular marine-fresh scents. Sillage and longevity are both very good.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Theoretically, I should like this as I do enjoy "dangerous" scents and am fond of many chypre florals. I tested the sample vials several times and the results were always the same: I can say without reservation that it has longevity--it just won't go away. But I don't appreciate people looking at me as if they're wondering how long it's been since I changed my underwear.

L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A pleasant white floral that, for no apparently good reason, I purchased as part of an eBay user's clearance of her zillions of fragrances on hand. Feeling giddy after bidding much too much (and winning!) a nearly full bottle of Chanel Bois des Îles from her, I thought "Why not?" and went after this as well.

It is, as I've said, pleasant enough. The mint, rose, and orange blossom are well balanced, but the musk is far too dominant for me. (I must admit that having spent my twenties during the polyester decade--the 70s--I have a low tolerance--no, utter disdain--for certain musks as they remind me of the sweaty discos and dimly-lit steakhouses with dark wood paneling that I was obliged to visit with my office mates from a job that enabled me to go to college.) The musk is relatively "clean"; but it's still enough to make me hear the Bee Gees singing "Night Fever."

Still, L'Ete en Douce has its commendable qualities, my own sensibilities notwithstanding. It's pleasant, inoffensive, and has better sillage than most L'Artisan florals. "Summer in Sweet" is an appropriate name for it--even though I keep confusing it with the title of a Tennessee Williams play. (Come to think of it, I might actually prefer a fragrance called Summer and Smoke!) I would recommend it to a feminine woman who wants a "safe" fragrance for daytime wear. Sexy it is not, though I wouldn't dismiss it as "bland"--more in the vein of not terribly exciting. But I'm definitely a butch gal who likes to push the envelope (so to speak) and "safe" is not a word to describe most of the fragrances I love.

I might wear this on a day when I'm not teaching or going anywhere. (Although my family was poor and my Dutch Calvinist mother clutched the purse strings tightly, she allowed for two extravagances that every woman needs--high quality shoes and wearing perfume daily.) It would also be very nice for just freshening up the air at home. On the other hand, it might wind up on the "free shelf" in my office at the university from which students may take anything (the books, CDs, DVDs, neckties, fragrances or whatever that I choose not to keep) they fancy. If it introduces some young woman (or man!) to something more advanced than the usual celebutante fragrance, then I've contributed to their education.

Maharadjah by Nicolaï

Much--perhaps too much--has been made about the de Nicolaï/Guerlain connection. Nevertheless, I'm coming to realize that Patricia de Nicolaî's scents share a common quirk with those of her ancestors: The fragrances choose their wearers, not vice-versa. I would so love to love Maharadjah, but it refuses to return that love.

I have now tested it twice, months apart, with the same result. Its opening is one of the most gorgeous I've ever experienced, dark, plummy, mysterious--sort of a kinder, gentler analogue of Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant. The fragrance grows even more glorious as a note resembling burnt brown sugar mixed with cinnamon kicks in. And then . . . the anti-climax.

I see various references to Maharadjah's excellent longevity among the reviews, but that hasn't been my experience in either test. I share the heartbreak that vintage*red remarks. Within fifteen minutes, it diminishes into a skin scent, still very lovely, that I can detect if I keep my nose firmly pressed against my wrist and forearm.

(Sigh)

Oh, that I could stay the fleeting moment! But in the end, Maharadjah is too ephemeral on me to warrant the purchase of a full bottle.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I think this is a very competent, dare I say exceptional, scent. I don't find the accords especially synthetic and the warth that foetidus referred to is definitely something I've noticed. I have read that this is very similar to Terre d'Hermes, which has many fans and supporters here. Based on my limited exposure to Terre d'Hermes, I would say that there are some similarities in the opening, particularly in the use of the citric top notes, but F Pour Homme replaces the weird mineral note of TdH with a leathery warmth. All in all, I think it sets its self apart in this way and the result is an enjoyable and desirable fragrance. To make things even better, this fragrance lasts an average of 10hrs on my skin, spanning the entire work day with detectable sillage going into the evening. If its not your thing, then fine; I won't argue. To everyone else, its worth at least a sniff.

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

i like it. i will buy for sister before she goes to college. nice and inoffensive for the regular girl. not the suddity type.

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

very potent and abusive 80's scent. only for the over 40 crowd. under 10 bucks a bottle. i wonder why!!

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

nothing new or dramatic to say. light blue for men but i guess we needed it since dolce & gabbana failed.great for over 80 degree days!!

Can Can Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

great for the under 30 crowd. pleasantly sweet but not overdone. more oriental than floral. longevity and sillage are great!

Kate Spade Beauty by Kate Spade

A very feminine scent of honeysuckle, gardenia ,lily of the valley, tuberose and jasmine. It begins gardenia- tuberose and then becomes lighter and fresher with lily of the valley and mostly honeysuckle. Quite enduring in longevity .I love the honeysuckle, I miss the gardenia as it fades and I dislike the muguet ! Still I feel I could wear this . A 'pretty' scent.

Royal English Leather by Creed

This is a wonderful scent Completely addictive from opening notes to the drydown. It's sweetish ,soft ,expensive,warm leather to begin with, diffusing to a delicious powdery amber ,not loosing the zing of leather at all. Some similarity to Tabac Blond in the drydown to me but softer. So much personality ,depth,sexy. Unisex. For an EDT ,it's very long lasting. I have to have this.

Sélection Verte by Creed

Absolutely yummy ! Crisp sweetish very green ,light in character. The mint is delicious,quite subtle on me,natural - unisex scent. Not very long lasting but I do like this. The LARGE bottle is just a beauty . Am I becoming Creedy ?

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

Predominantly a light citrus scent but so mysterious to me. Effervescent to start and an enigma with the 'mandrake powder' and anise. I didn't get much ginger but I guess it could be adding to the 'fizz' aspect of this scent. Totally in love with the top notes too. I'll be corny and camp - I'll say it's quite magical and 'shiny' in character. I tried the EDT which I found pleasantly lasting for approx. 2 hours to the final light dry down . The lasting power is marginally Ok for an EDT but I bet the EDP is marvellous. Despite the short longevity ,this is an unusual enough citrus based scent for me to love.

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

I got strong rose, chocolate from this perfume- a little dark, a little heavy . Somewhat cloying but no cannabis.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I have tried this scent several times now ,I've held off doing a review on it because I have been trying to understand this fragrance. However, I fail to see what the attraction is. This is like a watered down coconut milk and coconut water on me. It may be a skin chemistry thing .

Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder

I found this to be a beautiful warm perfume - just like it's name- amber and ylang ylang - both notes seemed prominent and in accord, on my skin. Warm, sweet, deep, unisex, sexy ,delicious,sophisticated and long lasting. Just love the color of that juice too.

Hesperides by Fresh

A beauty of fresh plump grapefruit- it's addcitively good ! Quite linear ,good longevity . Clean !

Jasmine Musk by Tom Ford

I LOVE this perfume- on me it's like it's name- pure jasmine and musk ( white )
    The Jasmine is fresh, alive and blooming,linear supported by the light musk. The drawback is longevity for the price which is a shame.
    The jasmine is similar to the jasmine in Creed's Jasmal .

msleslie's avatar

Rosa Flamenca by Les Parfums de Rosine

The first few minutes are Tabasco sauce then it slowly reveals a lovely soft scent like the old Ombre Rose.

01st June, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2010)

urfliness's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I got my first bottle of Polo blue about 3-4 years ago.I like it but i think it looses it's potency after a while.I was about to run out and I stopped at Ulta on my way into work and the bittle they had on display seemed stringer than the one I had in my possesion.Great fresh frag.My only suggestion is but it in the smalles quantity possible if you really like this(to maintian the potentcy longer).A+

shamu1's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

When I see the words "metallic", "modern" and "vanilla" used to describe what a fragrance smells like, I either yawn or run for the hills. Luckily I didn't read anything about Magnetism before I first sampled it years ago, because I would have skipped over this excellent woody oriental scent.

Escada Magnetism smells like a very simple and linear scent to me: basically it's wood over vanilla. Doesn't exactly sound creative or innovative for a perfume. Also, both the woody notes and the vanilla smell rather synthetic to me. And yes, this does have a very "modern" and metallic overall feel, like something you'd expect only pretty boy college guys to wear when they're out partying and trying to pick up chicks.

I, on the other hand, am 40, happily married, and have no interest in hanging out at nightclubs partying. Yet Escada Magnetism, for some weird reason, works for me. In fact, I actually considered it my signature scent for about a year after buying it, and I'm about half way through my second bottle.

I think what makes Magnetism such a cool fragrance is how it can smell so SMOOTH, while also having a metallic and woody smell on top. There's a certain electricity to Magnetism that I find so appealing. It smells very modern and hip, but without smelling wimpy, trendy or smelling like every other designer clone juice. I also like it because it is an anomaly in my collection, which consists of almost all classic and powerhouse fragrances.

Give Magnetism a try, even if it doesn't sound on paper like something you'd like. You might be pleasantly surprised. I sure was.

shamu1's avatar

Mustang by Mustang

Whenever I review or pick out a scent to buy, originality is extremely important to me. But every once in a while I come across a frag that, although it's completely lacking in uniqueness, just smells so damn good I don't even care. Mustang is one of those perfumes.

I can promise you that you've smelled a ton of other mainstream designer woody orientals that smell like a lot like Mustang - Canali Men, Arpege Pour Homme, Burberry London, Memoire d'Homme, and on and on. In fact, I might even go so far as to describe Mustang as uninspired. Mustang, however, simply NAILS the woody oriental thing so perfectly, that none of that even matters. Mustang simply smells awesome.

It's basically a sweet, woody and leathery oriental that is so well balanced that it's impossible to resist. There is a ton of cedar in this, which is smoothed out by amber and a sweet tobacco accord, and I even detect a hint of iris in this, similar to the way it's used in Arpege Pour Homme.

I don't agree at all with the comments saying Mustang smells like pipe tobacco. It doesn't. What I smell is what I call "perfume tobacco", which means it simply smells like an accord of non-tobacco ingredients trying to replicate the smell of tobacco. No matter, however. It smells great, no matter what the hell is in it.

You can get this from discount retailers for dirt cheap, but it does NOT smell cheap at all. I have to think the only reason this is so inexpensive is because there are so many other fragrances that are similar to it, not because of the quality of its smell. This is high quality stuff, and is extremely masculine smelling to boot. I love this!

Le Grand Duc's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

After finding out, that this was Joan Collins signature scent,
    I wanted to try it out badly, so, a fellow BNer send me a big
    decant, and, oh my God, this is so good.

It's alsolutely as decadent, sexy and vulgar as I have always
    imagined a ball at Versailles hosted by Marie Antoinette would
    have been.

This seems to be loved by many celebs too, known users incl.:
    Joan Collins as mentioned; Elizabeth Taylor; Michael Jackson;
    and Queen Elizabeth II herself!

Two thumbs up.

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

Aromadisiac for Her by Avon

Official Notes :jasmine/African Orange flower/amber/Pink Pepper

This perfume is a sweet spicy floriental.You can easily perceive the amber and pepper notes .I can detect a dark chocolate smell in it ,too.
    It has good staying power . Definitely a good one.

DavidBond007's avatar

Verveine Narcisse by Creed

To me this is a romantic type of floral. They consider it to be unisex but I disagree I think this is more for a female. To me Versace knocked this one off with the Dreamer.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Okay, I eventually gave in. I first thought it was all vanilla on me. Actually, that's very much true. Therefore, I start off by saying it lacks longevity on me and DEFINITELY complexity in its base. Now, this is on the other hand a simply sexy fragrance, it makes me feel sexy wearing it and I'd definitely wear this on a date with such intention. I think Luca Turin is right here by saying this is "more flashy than good". I'd say it is DAMN flashy and therefore good, but it's got its obvious faults. Buy it for its flash!

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Actually, I am not really into flowers... in particular not white 'innocent' ones. This is completely different. The mood of this fragrance is somewhat a deep lilac with occasional darker shades, probably. I absolutely adored it when I first sniffed it in the store. This so beautiful! I can't see anything fecal or whatever mentioned in some of the reviews here. This is a real beauty - such a densely woven, rich and unique scent (unfortunately, I can't remember the smell of acacia/mimosa when I happened to see it in nature in full bloom). I can't say much more than: I ADORE it. It is probably in my Top 3 of all time. Back-up bottle worthy for me!

Ambre d'Or by Il Profumo

I tried both the Osmo and Osmo Absolu. I don't think the Osmo principal works as Il Profumo is trying to tell us. Very little sillage out of the normal osmo, more from the absolu. The amber is straight-forward, pleasant, but that's it. Think of the price for the absolu and move on...