Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

cheryl's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Wow. The Vintage formulation is truly beautiful.

cheryl's avatar

Prima Ballerina by Strange Invisible Perfumes

This didn't strike me as a "rose" right away. It opens claws first with a musty herbal lime. Then a rose -like spring pinkish white- floats up. Very pretty and innocent. Then the show fades all too soon. (like within an hour).

Sensual's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is wearable art. It is a masterpiece.

It takes less than one drop to envelope oneself in a harmonious olfactory chord atmosphere of...

A short-lived but sweet watermelon note...AMONGST the dry down which smells like liquified money and expensive leather in a whisper of beach salty air.

Ahhh...

++++'s avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Fantastic. When the purse allows it, this will be my first 'female' fragrance. Also, for me this is a rare scent that pulls off that powdered touch fragrances of the era seem to have in common.

Scentaur's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

One of my BEST evening scents. Absolutely perfect for cold nights and romantic dates.

Scentaur's avatar

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

This is one of those play-safe colognes like Cool Water wherein you can just pick up and use without worrying what occasion you're going to and still smell great.

JessicaGrace's avatar

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I was in middle school when this came out, and when I tried it on my wrist today I realized I've smelled it a hundred times before. It must have been one of the nicest scents available in the little country town I grew up in -- the smell is indelibly associated with friends' moms and "older ladies."

It's hard to be analytic about this. The one note that stands out is a slightly caramelized banana...but this is about as tropical as the dessert bar at Luby's. Very powdery and getting sweeter over time. If it had lasted longer it would have bothered me more. Wearing it makes me feel like I'm wearing someone else's clothes.

belleotero's avatar

Coco by Chanel

Lovely. Vintage (not too old - 90's?) EdP wears close to the body, dominated by a dried rose petal note which is slightly powdery & smoothed by underlying vanilla/tonka. I'd have to love rose more to wear it regularly -- on a friend of mine, though, it's barely floral - oriental resin/wood/spice notes predominate, beautifully.

rednails's avatar

M de Morabito by Pascal Morabito

Heroic, masculine fragrance. Dark green, penetrating spices, super sillage. may contain oud wood -- has a Mideastern vibe.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Country Weekend by Escada

I like this quite a lot ,it reminds me of the scent of a cedar chest .CW might have a bit of green to it too --it's very refreshing.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

I bought this blind having read LT's review in The Guide, being of the opinion that even if it was as naff as it's name I could afford to bin it if I didn't like it. No problem - it's a lovely fresh optimistic fragrance, suitable for any age-group, and I love it.

ladymorrigan's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Fifi Chachnil by Fifi Chachnil

sounds good! i;ve heard that it smells like viva la juicy?? im still looking for a better replacement for viva, could this one be it?

tsuzumi's avatar

Vanilla Fantasy by Body Fantasies

I bought the Vanilla Fantasy Fragrance Moisturizing Lotion after trying the spray in a shop. I thought I would try the lotion first, but now I think I don't need the spray. The lotion has a very long-lasting fragrance. It seems to be a solo vanilla to my nose. If my memory is correct, this is the way my mother's baking 'vanilla extract' used to smell. Was it a true extract in those days? I suppose even the baking products are synthetic now.

pcrisp's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

It has the slightly similar aspects of Creed MI and SMW at the first spray, however a few minutes after that the scent is almost gone. With MI and SMW I can do a spray to the chest and each arm and it will last all day. Sadly with Erolfa, the smell was nearly gone in a matter of minutes. If you smell directly on the spot of the arm, you can faintly smell it and it's a good scent, but bad projection and longevity are an absolute killer. It doesn't smell as good as MI or SMW so it's a no brainer to stick with them.

m.francisco's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

I guess I'm in the minority here. Upon first smell I got a decent orangey citrus. This quickly quickly faded down into what some would say mossy. I would call it gross. During the first hour of the 'mossy' stage, both the person I was driving with and I agreed that there was a certain... fecal note. This may be a little severe, and maybe the juice was bad (I received it as a sample from Hermes), but this was definitely not something I would ever buy. Maybe I'll use up the sample when I'm not around people to see if I like it more.

SirScent's avatar

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

I don't know how I could have missed this one. A terrific Frag and great bargain.
    Nice, "Clean" Tobacco, Clean, Fresh...did I say Clean? It's stong but Wonderfully mellow after awhile. Nice Longevity too. A soapy, rich concoction that I find very appealing. A little goes a long way.
    Note, I just purchase the 'White" version of Vermeil and I am not so crazy on that one.
    Still trying to figure out the notes on the white version but they are not too appealing to my nose.
    Stick to the "Brown" Bottle version -it's a classic and a treasure.

Esquire's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Tried this stuff once but it's not for me, it reeks of british medical vapour inhalations. I think it's over rated.

rafiki's avatar

England England

Carthusia Uomo by Carthusia

Elegant, refined but doesn't last on my skin!

rafiki's avatar

England England

Black Aoud by Montale

Haven't smelt anything like this before! Intense but gets smoother once it wears off. Strong sillage. Love it!

fleure blanc's avatar

Jess by Jessica McClintock

I received a sample with a purchase of Jessica McClintock. I tried it and found the peach in the opening quite soft and lovely. It merged with the vanilla in the drydown without becoming gourmand, due to being well rounded out with fresh white flowers. A good choice for young women, innocent and sexy. I received many compliments (from men and women) on this fragrance when I wore it.

11th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2010)

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Not the best Eau de Cologne on the market, but it's hard to say a bad word about it. Been around for ages and appears to have been kept intact. Classical EdC structure: citrus on top, herbs and florals in the middle & light musk/wood on the bottom. It does smell good and has good longevity for an EdC which speaks of quality ingredients and craftsmanship, but I'm afraid that the world has moved on. AdP realized this and came out with the fabulous Assoluta which messes with the EdC structure to produce the ultimate EdC.

Équipage by Hermès

One of Hermes’ best. It came out in 1970 and fortunately, and I can attest that Hermes has not messed with it much as I have both the vintage and newer versions. There’s a very relaxed and luxurious feel here that is so rare in fragrance these days. Low-key florals on the top blend marvelously into a slightly sweet & woody drydown. Probably the finest use of Rosewood ever. I picture men like Sinatra or Serge Gainsbourg in their vintage years wearing this; gray hair and still looking dignified and well-put together. Don’t get me wrong, this scent would be hard for anyone under 35 to wear and it can’t be worn when the temperature is over 50F. In other words, if you’re going gray and live north of the Mason-Dixon line, this one is for you even if you can't sing a note.

Yatagan by Caron

The French take on Polo Green or vice versa? Yes, Yat came before Polo Green but.. it’s all about pine and leather…and celery too. Yat isn’t as bold as Polo's greenness but it makes up for it in its oddness. I find Yat to be a chameleon - some days intensely piney, other days intensely celery-green and still on other days intensely leathery. To that end, my love for this frag waxes and wanes with how I smell it. I'm not a fan of the celery note at all, and I detest its taste too. Now the leather and pine I do fancy so on those days when they're at the forefront, Yat is great. One thing of note is the vintage version mutes the celery slightly, but I'm hard-pressed to find much difference in the drydowns between the vintage and current version which is testament to Yat's enduring quality. Is Yat recommended? Yes, for its downright uniqueness and quality, but I won't be reaching for this one often because you never know which Yat will appear.

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Ive bought this blind and for a low price.
    This is for sure is the worst fragrance I ever smelled, I have a coffee machine near my sit at my office, so it mixed with the nice coffee smell but in a bad way I cant explain.
    For sure its not a frag for you to appreciate, but for the others...at most.
    DO NOT RECOMMEND.
    NEVER BLIND

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Star anise makes me gag.
    overrated here.

rioni's avatar

Royals Heroes 1805 by Washington Tremlett

Very sophisticated scent - love it. Perfect for winter.

blondex199667's avatar

L'Insolent by Charles Jourdan

Just absolutely gorgeous. Richly floral, slightly oriental, a bit sweet. Like her brother, Un Homme, a tragically underpromoted fragrance.

bbBD's avatar

Acqua di Genova Colonia by Acqua di Genova

I received a freebie sample of this in a swap and gave it a test without thinking much of it. I've been pleasantly surprised over the first (and subsequent) samplings, which is no small feat given that I'm not muc§h of a traditional cologne fan. As another reviewer said, there's no big surprises here. The mix of citrus to florals is superb and the subtle rose and jasmine take enough edge off the sharp citrus such that the composition is very balanced and very smooth. Longevity is much better then the typical cologne and the woody basenotes clearly distinguishable. I prefer Genova to most of its counterparts (AdP for example) - it's no Eau de Guerlain but it's a thumbs up regardless.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Very recognizable, if in fact anyone still wears this. At a local shopping mall near my town, there used to be a small store that made custom soaps and lotions, and also recreated any famous fragrance, all in house. They used frosted bottles with black caps and plain paper hand written stickers to label each fragrance. Nothing fancy or snobby about the store. Any fragrance, $23, and I purchased their White Linen several times. I didn't know until much later what the real fragrance smelled like. When I finally sampled the real White linen, I ended up liking this store's version far better. This phony one was much sweeter and less chemical, although I don't altogether hate the original, it's just the opening that's too much for me. Once it dries down, I love it. My thumbs up is more for the phony than the original. Sadly that business closed down many years ago.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Sous Le Vent has notes of basil, bergamot, lavender, tarragon, carnation, oakmoss, iris, woods, patchouli.
    This is more a citrus/ aromatic fougere to me rather than a chypre .There is a lot of citrus in this. To start it is all bergamot and lemon. Sharp, tart, fresh ,bracing and then herby spicey .
    This is DRY - a DRY scent and absolutely gorgeous. I see no relation to Mitsouko at all .If anything it is probably closer to Jicky but even then I feel that is pushing it. It is its own personality . Extremely refreshing and seems to last on me.
    Unisex, daring. This is mine !