Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Véga by Guerlain

Vega is simply exquisite. Lots of huge aldehydes and an opening that is so much like Chanel No.5 - a cross between the EDP and the extrait. Very smooth ,ylang ylang is very forefront on my skin. As it progresses,there is a little of Vol de Nuit peeking out , some woods. It is elegant, supremely elegant .I'm not getting any powder. I can see why it is called Vega after a star- it is so bright and luminous to begin with - like a flash of aldehydes ,rose and ylang ylang. Beautiful and still smells up to date . Classic.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain

This is a very 'plush' scent - a very safe release for Guerlain. No doubt for popularity's sake. It would appeal to someone looking for a feminine 'pretty' but expensive and exclusive perfume - not for a gardenia soliflore/ scent maniac .At first it was all petals - more so than Van Cleef & Arpels Gardenia Petale. It's a soft white flower petal aroma. Misnomer ...again.
    The perfume gets quite floral vanillic and a little powdery andthat is the end of that story .
    I wil use that generic term ..'nice' but not $230 excluding tax 'nice'.

epicurean's avatar
    epicurean

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

What a great scent that's at least unisex, if not all-out masculine. (So what's with symbol here at Basenotes denoting this as a woman's scent? Dito for Coromandel. Oh well, whatever.)
    This and Coromandel were the instant standouts of the Les Exclusifs line. OK, if you're into a cologne-style fragrance, then the Eau de Cologne will manage to please quite nicely, but as I find colognes rather dull in general, why not go for the dark-hued, dry, vetiver-woodsy warmth of Sycomore if you're looking for a classy, upscale masculine. I took to it instantly, and it's one of those rare scents that is classy enough for professoinal situations and opulent enough to have some fun way far away from the office floor. Major thumbs up.

Joeinmoscow's avatar
    Joeinmoscow

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

Beautiful fragrance. Completely disagree with the comparison to Eau Sauvage Extreme, this one really does soothe, uplift and cocoon you in a healing dome, whereas ESE leaves me feeling dizzy and nauseous for 4 hours before it finally settles down and behaves like a civilised being. From start to finish, Eau Dynamisante is my best friend for a hangover on a Sunday when I want to do NOTHING except BE. I can be alone with this perfume. Some perfumes are screaming for attention and have ulterior motives. Not this one. She is with you, on you and in you, and will never let you down. If you must meet your God one day, wear Eau Dynamisante. The angels will let you into heaven because you smell like one of them.

Joeinmoscow's avatar
    Joeinmoscow

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

I really don't understand how a perfume can seem so nice at first then something changes, it starts to irritate and annoy. Maybe it's just because we change too, our skin, our moods, and the subtle chemistry between perfume and body changes, until what was lovely can become unbearable. I suppose our relationships with perfumes have a fixed shelf life like any relationships, some mature and grow into love, some lead to divorce and acrimony. This word "acrimony" somehow feels to me now the way Eau Sauvage Extreme makes me feel. The word has an echo of "acrid" about it, and the perfume now also for me. Maybe ESE is not guilty. I have been living and working in Moscow for 5 years and here ALL fragrances are fighting a losing battle against the pollution, the free radicals in the metro (the air down there kills all scent except vodka fumes and stale sweat odour, these are allowed to flourish)...For me, like all perfumes have a memory echo, there is a hidden memory from my childhood which ESE unlocks, but I can never remember the source of it, and I am left hanging waiting for it to click but it never does. Some obscure memory of this smell maybe wafting off the back seat of a friend's Dad's car, I don't know. At first, I loved Eau Sauvage Extreme. It made me feel happy, I wore it all summer and I felt so positive wearing it, I loved the drydown, it felt masculine to me, and unusual. For the past two years it has felt overpowering , and made me feel dizzy and nauseous. I really believe this maybe something to do with some conflict in my emotions caused by the fact that I need to change something in my life, but am not doing so. Good perfumes bring us back to ourselves, they can lead us to a new road (revolutionary), or remind us of old roads (sentimental) - My journey with Eau Sauvage Extreme has ended. Unfortunately the original Eau Sauvage is lost here, like a precious stone dropped into a sewer. Sometimes we frantically keep searching for the "right" perfume, when we should really be just booking a plane ticket outta here.

TropiRock's avatar
    TropiRock

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Michael For Men smells pretty good and yes, I smell leather/spice/patchouli and definitely pipe tobacco. During the first minute or two, I had flashbacks of L'Air du Desert Marocain, although MFM is far weaker. Some have described this as a sort of powerhouse fragrance, bold, etc. My own experience is totally different. This is a weak sister and while it smells good, its sillage and longevity are pathetic. 10 spritzes or so and still I can barely smell it When it's gone (and at the application rate, that won't take too long), I won't be replacing it.

merzbild71's avatar
    merzbild71

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Not bad, but not oud. Anyone who has smelled true, undiluted agarwood will probably find this a bit synthetic and one dimensional.

Terrible name too. "Oud" means "wood" so the wood in the title is superfluous. Makes as much sense as "chai tea" and "nan bread."

bookwyrmsmith's avatar
    bookwyrmsmith

Sunset Heat by Escada

Alcohol fruit juicyish when first applied then a sort of spilled/slighty spoilled fruit drink or mangos that fell from the tree and are eaten by the birds and insects .Ultra ripe mango fruit VERY VERY VERY SWEEET!!!! in a juicy way the mango has a bit of that freshness to it .
    Not really a favorite of mine I got a mini of this in a lot of several minis online .Passing to my boss who likes ultra sweet scents.I suspect she may have a different skin type than mine.

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Rose by Czech & Speake

Delightful rose fragrance. Very simple and clean. Has more life to it than it's given credit for, as fans of this house tend to fawn more over Dark Rose and 88. This is a translucent, bright rose that gets some depth with an intermittent touch of geranium and something very green in back. This is more feminine than the other two scents and I think it's something that really only works on either an extremely metrosexual young man, or a young woman. Most men couldn't pull this off. But in terms of its aroma-therapeutic properties, I can say that it is truly an up-lifting soliflore to have. I imagine the bath oil that goes with it is very soothing. Thumbs way up.

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

Dark, sexy rose. Something a thoughtful killer would wear. The way its top of varnished oud gets this shining of Bulgarian rose is akin to a beautiful stranger spilling her bourbon on an oak bar, and the moment you lean across to help sop it up, getting so close to her. Would not be remiss in a John le Carre story. Very unisex, incredibly well-billed, and truly worth every penny.

HammerFist's avatar
    HammerFist

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I don't understand all the positive reviews.

This stuff just smells of perspiration and with a cheap woodsy note. Nothing more to see here, move along.

HammerFist's avatar
    HammerFist

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Nasty stuff. Starts stinking as soon as it gets right out of the bottle, and continues the stink for hours.

I was going to blind buy this, but I'm glad I chose to sample it with a vial instead. There's a reason why it has so many negative reviews! I wouldn't wear it if someone pays me to do it.

pcrisp's avatar
    pcrisp

Castile by Penhaligon's

Well, to me it is fresh, sporty, and somewhat aquatic? I've got a very untrained nose for sure, but this is really good stuff. I can see where people might want to say that it is a bit barbershop like, maybe even "fresh out of the shower", either way it smells super classy and enjoyable. Several people mention the rose smell. I can sense a little bit of rose, but on a really fresh and clean side. At the first spray, it's honestly NOT my favorite. Same thing goes for smelling it straight from the bottle. However, within a couple minutes it begins to shine for me. Just now while typing this, my 4 year old son (he has his own cologne, so that he doesn't use all my good stuff) walked up to the computer. He asked "do you have cologne on?" I said yes and asked if he like it and he said "uh huh, it smells GOOD!".

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Usher for Men by Usher

Kind of a tough nut to crack in means of smell. What am I smelling exactly? Well, at least it smells good.

What I get out of this that are noticeable are lavender, violet, suede and some fruits. Mostly dominated by a sweet and synthetic lavender opening accompanied by a lot of violet as well.. blended together nicely. I think the violet may actually be more in the top notes along with some sweet fruits while the middle is more lavender and suede. Though a pretty linear fragrance until the base which turns more woodsy, but becomes very soft and sort of drifts away from the opening and middle. Still not bad. Without looking at a note pyramid, I can confidentially say that you're going to smell lavender and suede for sure, these are the legs of Usher, this is what holds it up. Longevity it actually not bad, I usually get 6 hours. Though in humidity this will diminish very quickly. Projection is nice during the opening notes, as with most fragrances that project the most in the opening. The projection on this stays much closer in after about 20 or 30 mins, but it still doesn't become a skin scent until the base. The base is boring but not horrible, it seems to be a very faded lavender and suede accompanied with some lighter woodsy notes. Most notably sandalwood. If you're looking for something unique though, you might as well turn around now, Usher is quite generic, but not entirely boring. Safe, inexpensive, and most importantly smells nice. As for comparisons.. I think it smells like a mix of a far less powerful Drakkar Noir and Guess Suede, being about 75% Guess Suede. But, with a much more toned down suede smell.

Is it worth the price? Well, I wouldn't pay retail for this. You can find this online in the bigger sized bottle for under 25 bucks on a lot of sites. I think it's worth about that. I wouldn't pay more than 30 though. The longevity is good, the projection is nice, and the fragrance smells good, plus it's very safe and versatile. But make sure you like it enough first even if you're investing 20 or 30 bucks in it. If you end up not liking it, that's money that could have gone toward another fragrance. I say this because I find that when I wear this stuff more regularly I get quite bored of it.

12 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2010)

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

UR for Men by Usher

Not bad. Has a nice peachy opening, synthetic smelling but not chemical or harsh. Kind of reminds me of Mambo in the opening, but Mambo is so chemical smelling that it makes me sick to my stomach.

I had a .5 oz bottle which I just finished, so I'm pretty confident with my results for longevity. I get no more than 4 hours tops, but usually it's around the 2 hour mark. Projection is below average in the beginning and close to the skin shortly thereafter. It starts off peachy and turns into more of a slightly floral, slightly fruity, and slightly woodsy very very subtle fragrance with just a hint of vanilla.

Is it worth it? A bottle of UR in Macy's is gonna run you about 65 bucks, you'd have to be a mad man to pay such. I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for a 3.4 and that's a stretch. That's if you really like the juice. This stuff won't turn heads, and you may not even get any compliments at all because of its poor projection which can go unnoticed. What UR is, is a safe, clean, easy and versatile scent, good for the less enthusiastic buyer, who doesn't have such high expectations from a fragrance. Overall I'd give this a D+

12 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2010)

serpentinne's avatar
    serpentinne

Heat by Beyonce

its reeaally sweet when you first spray it. should've been called 'candy' instead of 'heat' --because it has none.

philmcphe's avatar
    philmcphe

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Smells like cleaner, and the longevity is horrible. Only way I'm gonna be enjoying the rest of this sample is as a bathroom spray,

philmcphe's avatar
    philmcphe

Windsor by Creed

I loooove this fragrance. Let me say I am NOT one to get caught up in false conceptions due to hype, in fact when I'm trying a scent as highly hyped as this one I smell it with the highest level of critique ready in my mind. However, when I tried this on for the first time and sniffed my wrist I immediately went "Ooooo that's beautiful". The only downside is that it has horrible sillage, I know the whole "Royalty need not shout" motto behind this fragrance, but my brother's girlfriend couldn't smell this on me when I was maybe four feet away from her, and I had just put it on twenty minutes ago! After putting on half my ml sample vial it was finally noticeable to people that were close to me, but at the price of this fragrance putting on half a milliliter for one wearing seems a little ridiculous. I'm on the list for one of the bottles that's coming out this fall and I guess really I am for myself and no one else, because I can't keep my nose off my wrist while wearing this even if others can barely smell it.

Jevon75's avatar
    Jevon75

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

A very nice scent, very fresh and great longevity throughout the day, the perfect scent for a hot summer day.

gmagina's avatar
    gmagina

Night Rhythms by Prince Matchabelli

I agree with stacybaby, I would spend a months salery on Night Rhythms if they would bring it back. I kind of did when I found out it was being discontinued, I bought up I bet 6 or 7 bottles. I haven't found ANYTHING I like as well since.

paulared's avatar
    paulared

Miracle Forever by Lancôme

I don't agree with almost anybody here... I just tested this version of Miracle and it is by far the one i like the least. Too overpowering. Deja vu of Angel by Thierry Mugler but with a drydown that tends more to cotton candy (probably cheap ethylmaltol in the formula). I prefer the So Magic! with a lilac note that i adore and that reminds me of my mother´s Diorissimo but in a less concentrated version diluted from Jackie O. to Lilly Allen.

kewart's avatar
    kewart

Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

This is a totally gorgeous scent!
    I adore this way it uses iris as the main player -
    utilising the roots, leaves and flowers to make sure
    it is not overlooked! I feel so pampered and confident
    when I wear this gem by Pierre Boudon.

andrw's avatar
    andrw

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

When I was 12 or 13, my mother and I were shopping at the mall when we passed by a vendor who smelled amazing. My mom asked the gentleman what he was wearing and he said "Curve, you can find it at Target". We immediately drove to Target and picked it up. This was my first scent that actually brought me compliments from the ladies. I have long since run out of my third bottle about 6 years ago, but I have fond memories of the scent. I agree with above, this is the perfect option for a son's first cologne.

andrw's avatar
    andrw

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

Just picked this up and loving it so far. Very fresh and makes me feel extremely clean while wearing it. The longevity is something to long for, but overall I'd say it's a pretty solid scent through and through. I will be wearing this and Lacoste Essential throughout the summer.

rubyred's avatar
    rubyred

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

I was brought on up on lucerne farm and this is the same smell as the hay shed. Hay. Not sweet, new-mown hay. Dried hay. Sometimes, when just having put it on, wet cardboard. It's light and blows away in the wind. Gorgeous bottle though. To me, a perfume should be more than a light smell of hay. I've tried this about 10 times now it's the same every time. My friend's daughter loves it.

13 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2010)

Oldspice's avatar
    Oldspice

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

A very light version of the original. Kouros is there down below the layer of "fresh" notes. The fresh notes in this could not be interpreted as urinal puck-like as with the original. The tangerine citrus topnotes don't stick around long for me. Sillage is much less than the original, it wears pretty close to the skin. I could see this working in very hot, muggy weather when others would be too much.

Those who are interested in Kouros but who find it challenging to wear due to its strength or controversial notes will enjoy Kouros Cologne Sport. Those who really enjoy the original will likely find this too light and subdued as do I.

Phil Cape's avatar
    Phil Cape
    South Africa South Africa

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Guerlain’s Vetiver was something of an epiphany for me many years ago and has held a very special place in my affections ever since. As a consequence I am well-disposed to vetiver fragrances in general but do not expect to find them nearly as seductive and intriguing as the Guerlain.

I am also put off fashion designer names on perfumes for some reason. I realise this is a nonsensical prejudice but there it is. So imagine my surprise when a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic sales person introduced me to Grey Vetiver last November – and I instantly liked it. (He suggested that it makes a terrific base for combining with other perfumes too, something I haven’t tried yet.)

I resisted the temptation to buy at once. It really is criminally expensive, and that makes me suspicious of hype over substance. But passing through a store the other day I spritzed some on and was again totally beguiled. So I bought some a few days later.

I love the treatment with citrus and bitter spices and wood and it lasts very well for me without losing its complexity. I could never mistake it for the Guerlain and find each unique and satisfying in different ways. The name is pure genius – I didn’t know that grey had a smell but like michailG I think it must smell like this. Maybe because it is dry and has a classy complexity to it while remaining quite discreet. Very easy to wear day or night. I love it!

Gendarme by Gendarme

This is an excellent "moist" soap scent, richly verdant compared to Mugler Cologne. It has less of the dry, sticky soap-residue aspect of Mugler, so I take it to be more idealized, whereas Mugler is more realistic. The EdC is largely just a weaker version of the EdP, which allows it to approximate the airy soap aura of having just gotten out of the shower, while the EdP is more like standing near a waterfall in an idyllic tropical garden. This extra lushness of the EdP, which I think is partly due to extra wintergreen (or something that reminds me of WG), makes it rather sweet, but the sweetness is very natural and unobtrusive. Sniffings of other Gendarme scents will further demonstrate this theme: they use such natural-smelling ingredients that the considerable sweetness of some of their scents becomes muted and pleasing instead of insistent and cloying. Based on my limited experience, I think the EdP has more batch-to-batch variation. Strangely, the EdP stays closer to the skin/clothes in spite of how concentrated it is, so I think that its supposed advantage gets nullified, and I find myself reaching for the EdC more often. Also, the EdC comes in smaller sizes than those of the EdP, which is exactly the opposite of how they should be packaged!

Gendarme V by Gendarme

The opening of V is rather remarkable for its fizz and effervescence. Gradually, it becomes evident that this is merely a prelude to a rather dusty rose, or whatever heavy florals one finds in the genre of Ungaro III, Van Cleef and Arpels, or Czech and Speake #88. Masculine rose scents never really do anything for me personally, so I would never buy this stuff. Still, if a fan of those brands wanted a slightly more summery analog for his collection, then Gendarme V might be a good place to start the search.

Grabazzi by Gendarme

Grabazzi evolves a fair amount, and proves difficult for me because it constantly flirts with being a shampoo scent. The immediate opening is very sharply herbal, and rather invigorating. For a while, it smells decidedly blue to me, like a Blue Cherry Icee. There's some definite fruit at the beginning, but already the herbal shampoo is beginning to appear. A lemon component emerges, but such a thin, acidic lemon peel scent that it's very off-putting. Fortunately it doesn't last long. As the base approaches, I realize that anise, fennel, or one of my other sworn enemies is becoming noticeable, even if not very much, and that is a big part of the cheap old shampoo association that I get. In the end, I'm left with a subdued aura of either Dr. Pepper or sarsaparilla over breakfast cereal, and I'm not in great need of that scent in my life.