Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Guirlandes by Carven

A glorious spring/summer floral fantasy of exquisite taste and balance. A white floral bouquet, touched with a hint of green and sweet enough without becoming candy-like.
    A wearable stroll through a beautiful garden.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Colors de Benetton by Benetton

LOUD fragrance. You could smell this from a mile away. Orange and jasmines dominate on me. As with everyone else here, it was also something I used in high school on rare ocasion. It was just so loud I had a hard time using it everyday as I would have liked to since it was so in at the time. But I couldn't. Imagine pouring a quart of hot sauce on all your food, for all of your meals---as much as you like hot sauce, you just can't have that much!

gambit's avatar

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Sweet but not cloyingly so. My favorite Royall scent. I had worn Jovan Musk as a high school lad and didn't believe I would ever don one again, but this has worked its way high into my rotation.

At a local Brooks Brothers outlet, during their annual spring sale this can be had cheaply.

Yes, it smells 'barbershop'. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Bois des Îles by Chanel

Bois des Iles is truly beauitful- a graceful scent . Most beautiful delicate sandalwood and some incense to start. A thinker's perfume. Lovely blend of rose ,jasmine ,ylang - no gingerbread on my skin but a hint of spice ,almond, is all .
    A perfume that brings up emotions or soothes them . Gorgoeus and subtle. A classic.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I appreciate this perfume for what it is - a classic Dior . However,I think of piles of lilies on Christian Dior's coffin whenever I try this scent which kind of ruins it, for me.It seems very linear to me , it is just lily of the valley . Quite simple. I don't find the longevity that good .
    It is elegant, it is romantic but it is also funereal . Take your pick !

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

One of my favorite perfumes by Annick Menardo. A beautiful alluring, swirling gourmand scent of almond ,anise, vanilla ,woods. It's simply addictive ,unique -especially those top notes.
    Sweet - some people get strong ' rootbeer' from this fragrance . To me it's a wonderful thick almond vanilla seduction of the senses. Men go crazy for this one. Sexy !
    The Elixir is equivalent to extrait and it is even sweeter than the Eau de Toillette. I prefer the EDT which seems to give a clearer sense of the character of this scent.

Bel Respiro by Chanel

Opens up very very green - a get something alittle 'green - synthetic - plastic' too, at the start. Still a beauty ..... I get a little powder- nothing major - it's an interesting scent and reminds somewhat of Ormonde Woman. Ormonde Woman is better ! A cold and fresh scent- perfectly unisex. Not my favorite but wearable.

++++'s avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Maybe it was the expectation and this review is a knee jerk reaction but I was underwhelmed by the dirty/tar/leather note.

I guess I was expecting something more potent and inappropriate. Probably the first negative review due to the lack of mechanical scent but through the reviews here I came to believe I was in for a much grimier experience. The flowery base seems mundane compared to other fragrances of the time, maybe mundane is a harsh word but it seems to just pleasantly linger instead of stand out in any unique fashion.

An interesting older scent anyway and hard to find a bottle of, if you are looking. Just not what I pictured nor something I would personally choose to wear.

nephandi's avatar

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Fresh opening which turns into a pepper which I found very nice. The drydown smells "clean" which is pleasant enough not to categorize this is a bad blind purchase. I can see myself wearing this on occasion but not a main stay.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Ignore the fact that this was released in 1995 (the aquatic era) and that the juice is blue. This is NOT some weak ass aquatic or sports fragrance.

This is a tough, bold woody and spicy men's fragrance that is very reminiscent of the daring Krizia Uomo, without the patchouli. 360's accord of juniper and woody notes makes for an astringent, jagged wear, but its boldness is its greatest appeal. There are some synthetic smelling notes mixed in with this, but they don't ruin the overall aggressive woodiness of this scent. The overall woodiness of 360 is not as natural smelling as, say, Cypre-Musc, but I think 360 balances both the synthetic and the natural notes very well, and this makes for a very interesting and quite daring fragrance. I was very surprised at how good this is.

MY RATING: 7/10

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

I don't agree that this is a clone of Le Male. Granted, I understand that it's trying to do the whole pearly white lavender and talcum powder thing that Le Male made famous, but this is inferior to Le Male. It's more transparent than Le Male and drier and less sweet, but it lacks Le Male's complexity and comes off as just a boring powdery white lavender of little substance. It's not a terrible scent, but not something I'd go out of my way to buy or wear.

If you want the powdery barbershop sweet lavender vibe, spend even less money and get a bottle of Cuba Gold; it does it a lot better than either Le Male or this thing.

MY RATING: 5.5/10

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Starts with nice, fresh, round, a bit creamy sunny green citrus notes which last no longer than 10 seconds, enough though to say "What a nice summer fragrance it *could* have been!". Then a generic synthetic bitter-fresh mixture comes in the light, spoiling most of it... bit oh well. If you have in mind Moschino's own 'Cheap & Chic' statement, you could even proudly wear this one. It's just this: cheap smelling, but somehow chic. It's a statement that somehow captures the popular spirit of our time. Just mind the irony and wear this one between friends.

Joeinmoscow's avatar

White Linen by Estée Lauder

She wore a gentle armour of White Linen.
    I tried to leave one of my first love's once, after she went with another man. I went to her house determined to end it. She was sat calmly on the rug dressed in black from head to toe, prepared to accept my decision with dignity and equanimity. Throughout my "speech" of hurt and wounded feelings, an unknown odour drifted into me, from her, and while I spoke, my resolve crumbled wall by wall inside, until my words were empty and i was just helplessly caught in something beyond my will or power, something I had no choice to surrender to, something I wanted to give myself up to. This odour was HER and she wore it, (i now know) because she knew it was her armour of justice. She would not beg me to change my mind. She would not make pathetic excuses for what happened. It happened, and I realised that this was life and that these things happen. She wore white linen. Scents are so specific to time , place and wearer. It will never smell the same again, and sometimes when I catch this in the street, it takes me back to that moment where my resolve crumbled into forgiveness and love. This perfume was made for her, and I will never forget that night when she wore White linen.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

The lemon/lime top in Nina combined with the prominent vanilla works to remind me of a similar fragrance, Burberry Brit, only without the powder. Nina is sweeter, juicier, and 100% edible. Attractive and delicious bordering on the dangerous, this is a bubblegum teen fragrance grown up, with a job and a personality, but still very sweet.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Rock 'n Rose by Valentino

Right from the start I get currant, rose, and whatever that 'green note' is. After 15 or 20 minutes it tones down to a more powdered rose and begins to reveal the heliotrope and sandalwood. The florals in the heart bolster the rose a bit but barely make themselves known. Though Rock 'n Rose isn't long lasting or powerful it does make a feature of rose and heliotrope, scent notes to which I am very partial. Smells great on my GF, so it's a keeper.

Hai_Karate_Kid's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Debateable, but one of the more sophisticated smelling Oriental Woodys. Allure Homme is a soft woody scent that does not last long on me. (Just my skin maybe ?) I prefer wearing Allure homme sport better than this frag ( but that one does not last long either) and really, really, really, like REALLY like Allure Homme Sport Edition Blanche THE BEST OUT OF THEM ALL ! All frags in Chanel Allure men's line smell quite elegant.

IMHO, Chanel really does a good job here. Got this bottle as a gift and never got any complaints only compliments. I wear this frag at very random times.

Nowhere near the strength of Hai Karate Oriental Spice. :D HAI YAA ! ! !

Hai_Karate_Kid's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

IMHO :

This is absolutely a 5 star rating compared to other "Woody Spicy" frags. out there. Only 4 stars though compared to other frags in Chanel's Allure pour homme line. I do smell some of the notes that make this the Woody Spicy frag it is, but it is more of a fresh type smelling frag to me. Orange and aquatic notes do this maybe ?

I think Allure homme 'edition blanche' is the best out of them all. It really works well for me all around.

khrystyna's avatar

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

A big disappointment after 'Cuba' (or maybe it is just my skin that makes it so bland...). The top notes go away too fast and leave me with the cheap-soap smell. It brings back childhood memories though - my grandfather used to have some cologne water with the similar aftertaste.

khrystyna's avatar

China White by Nasomatto

For me this is too floral and too feminine to give a thumb up, so - neutral. But very pleasant neutral

JeanieE's avatar

Rain by TerraNova

There is something in this that is in Heartfelt, my all-time favorite fragrance. Therefore, I like it. Someday I hope to identify what that secret ingredient is....

patelio's avatar

Absolute by Massimo Dutti

absoluely fantastic, it is diffirent and a rare fragnance, only the longivety is an issue other wise it rocks good for formal wear.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I think if it weren't for JPG's provocative and gay imagery used in his advertising and packaging, Le Male wouldn't elicit such extreme reactions from people. If you judge this solely on its smell (which is what you should do), Le Male is not an extreme scent at all. This is a good fragrance.

I find it rather traditional, in fact. It's basically a very clean and powdery fougere, with a bigger dose of coumarin than is typically found in most fougeres. This results in a rather sweet fragrance. The lavender in this is very smooth and has a creamy smell to it. I like this because it counteracts the powdered soapiness of Le Male very well.

Give this a full day's wearing before judging it. Sampling this from a spritz on the back of your hand won't allow you to appreciate how well blended this is, and it will smell heavy and overly sweet. A full wearing will reveal a very well balanced scent that is comfortable to wear.

Le Male is very strong, with huge sillage and all day longevity. This must be applied with caution, because overspraying this will make you smell prissy. Applied sparingly, Le Male exudes a warm, rich and clean aura that is very appealing. It deserves a better reputation than it has. Thumbs up.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

14 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2011)

No. 22 by Chanel

I love Chanel No .22 but I prefer Chanel No 5. Chanel No.22 feels just a little to much - it's like No.5 on a kick of aldehydes and incense. Quite similar to No.5 - No.5 has a clearer direction to me. It's too much for my nose .It's very perfumey and lasts quite while.
    I'll give it a thumbs up because I CAN appreciate it and it's beauty, personally it's not for me though.

Update
    No 22 parfum extrait.
    I find the EDT differs slightly from the extrait.

Still a great blast of aldehydes- what heaven - steamy hot clean searing aldehydes and white flowers- none really stand out on their own. Strong ,good tenacity and sillage especially for extrait. This really is the olfactory equivalent of the color white. White pressed linen clothes sitting in the sun .
    The drydown is lily ,vetiver and vanilla with just a touch of incense - more delicate and dry than the top and middle of No.22 . I find the drydown compellingly weird and twisted actually. I even detect a gaseous note in the dry down - perhaps the effect of lily and vanilla .No. 22 is graceful and untouchable. I do not see the relation to 'warmth' with No.22 . This is perfume for oneself and everyone else be damned.

I do love No. 22- it's steamy hot fresh pressed linen in the sun . Dizzingly clean and abstract. Searingly hot and cool at the same time. Modern and yet classical.

Okay edit April 2012- Chanel No. 22 has overtaken No.5 for me. Especially in parfum extrait. No.22 extrait is by far longer lasting than No.5 .

14 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2012)

Cedarmoth's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

I wore this before I had hair on my chest. Now that I have hair on my chest AND back, I can really wear it. Distilled testosterone.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Cerruti Image Woman by Cerruti

A recent discovery and a welcome addition to my School Run collection, this is a refreshing but retiring fragrance. I should say it's utterly unisex, with its citrus and woods. It's clean and I find it lasts all day, which is great. I intend to wear it a lot this summer - I think it's ideal for hot weather, partly because it does the 'disappearing and reappearing' trick - it doesn't overwhelm. On the downside, it does obviously have the slightly synthetic aspect that seems to be compulsory in fresh scents nowadays. But it manages it so well that I give it an unequivocal thumbs up.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

Wah!!!
    I expected to love this, as I'm in a massive green phase at the moment. And yes, the top notes were great - greeeeeen! just as I'd hoped. But then, ew. Suddenly it started to smell like I'd forgotten to wash my hands after going to the loo. Very nasty. I seriously considered scrubbing.

The dry down came back to being a decent green, and was enjoyable again. But the yuckola period made it a definite no-buy for me.

odysseusm's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This has a nice but fleeting citrus opening. Although galbanum is not listed, I’m sure I catch whiffs of it – there is a lovely green note here. Essentially this is an attractive woody spice scent. It is not sweet and not too dry. The spices are well blended and hard to pick out, though with time the ginger does become distinct. There is nothing especially innovative here, or unique. It is a lovely gentle scent.

odysseusm's avatar

L'Eau de Neroli by Diptyque

This starts with a gorgeous, fresh, slightly soapy orange blossom note. It quickly deepens into a white musk scent. This is a very simple scent: orange blossom and musk, that’s about it. Unisex in orientation, and perhaps slightly sweet in character. The dry down develops a slight woody aspect. The musk dominates here, a bit more than I care for. Nothing original or distinctive in this scent, it is simply Diptyque’s version of an orange blossom special.

Zhi's avatar

One Perfect Rose by La Prairie

This is the most beautiful scent I've ever smelled! In fact it was the fact that this scent was discontinued that got me into collecting perfumes - the search for another perfect scent. I still have one and a half bottles of it and from time to time use it. Every time I put it on, I sigh at the beauty of it. Such a shame it's gone.

SmellyNinja's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Am I the only one who finds this a dead ringer for Azzaro Pour Homme? A mature, somewhat bold, slightly synthetic green scent. It may not be a masterpiece, but it's not nearly as aweful as some people here make it out to be. Certainly no one's going to tell you you stink with this on. Fairly linear with decent projection and good sillage, it's a safe and versatile scent. You could do a lot worse for a father's day gift or something similar.