Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

AnnS's avatar

Tahitian Gardenia by Pacifica

Smells like summer! This is a fun, sunny, lightly green & mostly "white flowers" fragrance. I enjoy it more that I thought I would as white flowers tend to bore me. Tahitian Gardenia never gets too prim or soapy, and is not sweet. It does have a very brief green-sap gardenia presence at the opening with some very light citrus - probably bergamot, maybe a dash of petitgrain, but it mostly burns down do a nice, linear, neutral jasmine - green - soft orange blossom thing with just a bit of LOTV. The drydown gets a bit of that generic fragrance musk, but overall it keeps its summery white flowers aroma for a long time. It is very similar to the Badgley Mischka Fleurs de Nuit and also the Calypso Christianne Celle Chevrefuille, both of which have a little more presence and complexity. The price is pretty unbeatable at $26 a bottle or less - a cheap and fun splurge. The solid perfume and body butter smell good too.

Adieu's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

A rather simple, bright aquatic. Nice but somewhat unsophisticated. Definitely a casual scent.

JessicaGrace's avatar

Yendi by Roberto Capucci

I was immediately reminded of Ivoire, and it turns out the two perfumes have more notes in common than they do differently -- hyacinth, bergamot, raspberry, orris, orchid, cedar, sandalwood, and even a few more I think. They are both sprightly greens with vibrant fruit and wood tones. To me, Yendi is the improved version, with a silky smooth progression where Ivoire was sometimes soapy and a bit clunky.

Just wonderful. Wish it was easier to come by. I'm intrigued to hear about Rochas Globe, as that one seems to be still around and quite affordable.

Joeinmoscow's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Never smelled one like it. LOVE IT. I never buy scents "cold" in the shop, either from testing on my skin or on paper strips. I hate the whole hurried false process under the waiting eye of a usually quite dim sales girl and the fug is so bad in there anyway it's hard to tell one thing from another.
    I smell a scent which i like, on someone else. I think 'wow, what IS that?' and I ask them what it is and then try to find it. Most modern male scents leave me cold. This one has class and is seductive and animalic. It was worn by an attractive Greek man who later ran off with my girlfriend. I forgive her because I was on the verge of running off with him myself. Pierre Cardin is hard to resist. It's very 70-s, but then I'm a fan of retro if it means classic timelss quality and not just "new for the sake of it" or some tacky Bekham endorsed product. Pierre Cardin WAS associated with quality before he went overboard with his branding and I think this scent is worthy of his better days. I was always a little embarrassed by the phallic bottle, but it is appropriate, this is not a neutral scent, I had many compliments from women when I wore it. Some scents are almost TOO seductive, you start being followed and sniffed by seedy old men (and women, and even stray dogs)....there is a price to pay , you can't have your cake AND eat it! ;-) the defining fragrance of my youth. What a drydown! Merci Pierre pour ce merveilleux parfum.

pansylady's avatar

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This fragrance is seductive and innocent at the same time- the combination of honey, wood, and animalic notes makes me imagine a sexy milkmaid in a Thomas Hardy setting who smells of bee hives, meadows, and a roll in the hay!

ajphillips's avatar

Sexy Angelic by Honoré de Prés

I bought this quite cheaply off eBay, and I have to say I quite like it!

It's a dry almond, licorice fragrance that is incredibly rich but also incredibly light and ethereal. Supposedly the scent is based on the French delicacy Calissons, which are almond paste sweets coated in royal icing. You would think that this would mean the fragrance is sweet, which it is, but almost as a 'dry' sweetness if that makes sense. Imagine sticking your nose into a bag of icing sugar.

Whilst this is a female fragrance, and surprisingly given its title and inspiration - I find this to be easily wearable and enjoyable.

The one complaint is that is really doesn't last that long at all - but I don't think of it like that. For the price I paid for it (not that much) I use it as a tonic spray, applying liberally.

Definitely an excellent scent for Men and Women, just don't pay full price for it.

BayKAT's avatar

Balkis by Nicolaï

Notes:raspberry, Turkish rose, black pepper, coffee extract, iris, benzoin, vanilla pods

Folks i think this one has been reformulated. I'm not a fruity floral type in ANY sense of the word, and this is not rubbing me that way. When i first put it on I was worried, but when the middle phase kicked in I was smitten.

I like black pepper, especially when it's mixed with benzoin (my Bois D'Armenie is a pink pepper/benzoin mix on a vanilly base, one of my favorite scents)

I wouldn't call this a spicy rose, it's more refined and smooth than that. I don't have much experience wiht raspberry, but it adds a tartness here that wears well on me

This is one past users may want to circle back to. Thumbs up!

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Corduroy by Zirh

I am definetely giving this a thumbs up but what first got me hooked was the deodorant stick!
    Ladies and gentlemen, if you go by the smell of the edt then keep this in mind...... the deodorant stick is not so sweet. So if you cannot wear the edt because you believe it is a bit too sweet then give the underarm stick a try.

It's amazing to me as to just how different the stick is from the edt spray. The stick's scent seems to lend itself to more opportunities to wear w/o fear of offending or overwhelming your co-workers or the person next to you at the gym....yes, the gym. I like to wear the deodorant everywhere.

Wombat's avatar

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

To be fair, I'm wearing a dupe of UBV. I've never even smelled the real thing. So, that's my disclaimer. But I've bought dupes from several sites online and they are all DIVINE in this scent! I had to laugh when people talked about drooling on their arms because I'm the same way! This is a sweet vanilla, not cloying, doesn't smell like vanilla play doh, not heavy or smoky. But I don't smell any of the notes that are supposedly in it! Licorice? Nah! I don't remember all the supposed notes because they aren't apparent to me. I just know it's a sweet vanilla mixed with something else that's also sweet but not TOO sweet. It's a pretty scent, definitely NOT unisex (remember, mine's a dupe!) and I get tons of compliments on it.

philmcphe's avatar

Espionage by Ayala Moriel

Definitely not a scent for the younger crowd. While I can recognize it is a quality fragrance I also know someone my age could never pull it off. I think this one is best for a guy in a suit that's in his forties or later. Not really sure why this is considered unisex either, I find it unabashedly masculine.

torresongs's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Red was introduced in 1991, but the smell is pure '80's. Red smells like the unwanted bastard stepbrother of Drakar and Quorom. It has a cloying, powdery, dull spicy fragrance that brings to mind the big moustached, chest hair sporting men of the late 80's. It always smells like someone put it on without bathing to mask their B.O.! Yuk!

roshomme's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I've decided to "personally relaunch" this marvellous fragrance for this summer. It a perfume I've liked since its appearence, but i've never bought for many reasons. I always thought Zino Davidoff was a typical winter perfume because of the basic warm of the fragrance. But actually that permanent lavender always gives me some sadness in winter. instead i found a nice surprise wearing this fragrance in summer, expecially at night. This "embracing aura" seems to protect you to the real hot atmosphere without contrast it. the smell of a walk into a lavender field under the sun trampling on dry grass.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

Does anyone else get...MOLASSES?? And I mean that in a very, very good way, lie the really dark, strong stuff that sits way back in the pantry, just waiting to be added to some luxurious, yet simple, treat. Maybe this is what another reviewer called "carmel apple." Yeah. I get that. Yummy. Just add black current and spice and you've got me hooked. Very original. Syrupy but somehow not in a bad way, probably due to the cedar in the base. Ok I'm getting molasses again.

Armani Mania for Women by Giorgio Armani

How did they manage to mix peppery with clean and floral and make it smell GOOD??? Maybe that's why it is called "Mania"? (I would have named it "Bipolar.")

Gold by Donna Karan

Lily, cream, and amber stand out to me, but I MIGHT be getting a bit of cucumber. Maybe that's the cloves note? I've never smelled such a creamy floral. Very, very pretty scent. A gentle oriental.

Usher for Women by Usher

UMMMMM makes me wanna go out and have fun! First note I got was (not that this is my idea of fun ;) leather, immediately followed by booze. Then the honeysuckle. After a few minutes got the peach and woodsy notes. There is an overall spiciness, even though it is called a floral fruity. Funny, I don't appreciate the peony in it yet. Honeysuckle and peony are 2 of my favorite notes.

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

Sharp opening of ORANGE GROVES: like finally crossing the state line into Florida. Even if you are the sleeping passenger in the car, you know you've finally arrived: oranges and wood. Totally agree with Morgaine: Creamy orange. Yes, there's honey, and that's probably what keeps me interested (one of my fave notes.) To me there is also a ???Meaty??? top note. I think honey is more like a mid note here and the amber is more of a base, however.

krgrant's avatar

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Bought this blind without smelling it first, solely based on user reviews. I was not disappointed! Yes - it is very sweet but who says masculinity cannot be sweet? After I put on my first spray my wife walked through the house and almost bit me! The basenotes in Blue Sugar come out after 1-2 hours which is an incredibly long time. Therefore, you may not like this stuff if you make up your mind about it before the basenotes kick in. It is youthful, playful, and definitely different. At the same time, it has a sophisticated side. If you like Rochas Man or Angel Men you will like this too - just give it some time!

15th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 23rd June, 2010)

Amygdala's avatar

Intimately Beckham Women by Beckham

Intimately Beckham Women smells exactly like your average drier tissue. This is not a bad smell but in no way exceptional. Yes, it is light,powdery and feminine but completely uninteresting. Just rub a drier tissue on your wrist and you'll have the same effect for a fraction of the cost! I suppose this perfume could be used as a linen spray or the like, if you love the smell of fresh laundry.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

Harrod's Limited Edition. I think this may be a different fragrance than the one listed above, so I am editing this review to point which fragrance this is I am smelling. It is especially confusing because the bottle does not actually list the name and the SA called it Harrods Oud, which is not listed anywhere by that name. This is the Harrod's Swarovski Lt. Ed. but my bottle is the version without the crystals.

The notes to Harrod's Limited Edition are: Black pepper, cumin, amber, myrrh, oud, vetiver. The blending of the amber, oud, myrrh and vetiver are outstanding. The scent is very warm and smells of oud and amber from the start. The sweetness of amber/Oud stays steady throughout the scent development but as the base arrives the mix of cumin, oud, amber and vetiver gives a nice warm leather scent that is still quite sweet. After a few hours the amber very slowly wears down and it scent is a dark dry leathery oud. The smell of this scent is very assuring and comforting. This is the best Bond NO. 9 fragrance I've tried.

15th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)

odysseusm's avatar

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

(revised)
    Notes: bergamot, citron, petitgrain, bitter orange, galbanum, lentisque (mastic resin), lavender, fig leaf, lemon tree wood.
    This has a marvelous dry-herbal-woody opening, with a hint of lavender. I wish that lasted longer. The scent is very lemony, but it is round and not acidic. Lots of creamy fig notes which at times seem like coconut and at other times somewhat peachy. The mastic resin combines with the wood and fig to give an earthy, compelling and even haunting quality. This earthy quality earns this the "garrigue" designation. My reservation is the fig. I appreciate it but don't like it on myself. I usually find that creamy-sweet note is not quite my style. Still, this is a marvelous scent. I don't get anything starchy, cold or skanky here...

15th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 28th January, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Etra by Etro

Etra is a very fresh, woody-spicy oriental with a fairly sharp beginning and a mellow, but persistent drydown. I like to wear it in cool to warm weather, especially if it's a sunny day, since it really seems to incarnate a sunny disposition. Thi has good longevity on my skin, and a beautiful sillage. People often remark on smelling "something good" when I wear it, though it seems they don't know exactly where it's coming from. I don't mind, because I get to smell it wherever I go just by sniffing my wrist!

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

My boyfriend has been wearing this lately, and I like it more and more all the time. The drydown is especially sexy and makes me want to bury my face in his chest. Masculine and erotic, it has an animalic quality that I love in men's fragrances. Thumbs up!

cheryl's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

I have a sample of uncertain vintage. Not sure the concentration. Not knowing the notes I first thought cigarette/tobacco on a bed of vanilla. This was not quite pleasant...as I have so many negative associations to cigarette smoke. The next day I tried again. No cigarette smell. No flowers. Not a chypre. A very mysterious and warm dry scent that made the hair on my skin stand up it was so evocative of something. On my skin it isn't so much bold (as others have found) as singular. I think it's a leather embroidered together with Ylang Ylang and Jasmine..that contrive to make it subliminally illicit. This one does a real "head trip." I'm full of admiration for anything that is not a floral but still beautiful...

cheryl's avatar

Nuit De Longchamp by Lubin

I believe I have a vintage sample. There is nothing remotely modern in what I am smelling. This scent opens in the way common to many vintage scents when I assume the top citrus-type notes have turned. The powdery base is apparent right from the beginning..strong powder. When it settles an indistinct ylang/rose/carnation arises. The powder has a more vanilla tone. It's a powdery floral on my skin, similar to "Ecusson." It evokes the past. It's hard for me to comment..I'm not sure how well it has traveled over time.

Bigsly's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

A raw, "meaty" leather singes the nostrils and lasts a couple of hours or so, then gives way to a nice blend with a strong spice note. It's a bit powdery and the leather is in the background. If there is vanilla in here it is very minimal, and the animalic notes are not offensive (compare to Kouros, for example). Longevity and sillage are excellent. I can certainly understand why some don't like this one, and I didn't at first either. However, I decided to keep trying and as often occurs, my "nose" adjusted to it and I was able to enjoy the blend, especially once the strong leather in the opening subsides. If you like strong leather and spice with a nice cast of background notes (including powdery iris), you should try this one.

16th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2010)

Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

A sorely neglected citrus unisex fragrance. Lovely lemon and some slightly bitter green notes make this a chypre. It's quite light so a liberal spray is recommended, but lasted all day for me. It could have been a touch crisper though, but only a slight moan.

Dioressence by Christian Dior

Maybe Dior have found a geranium that has a smell, but I'm assuming this a floral lash-up. Gorgeous opening, although very feminine imo. It then evolves into a rather sweet spice and patchouli bed. All in all a lovely oriental that lasts and lasts. I spray 20 minutes before venturing out as the heart and base are definitely unisex.

Diorella by Christian Dior

A very nice floral that men could wear easily. However, I detected a small decay like note which jars. It may be the musk that has been used but there is definitely a 'past it's sell by date' note in here.

Arpège by Lanvin

I checked this out as a possible masculine (it isn't). The opening notes take some time to sort themselves out and are quite dissonant, but later Arpege turned into an absolutely beautiful sweet, rich woody floral. I can't help imagining Joanna Lumley or Helen Mirren wearing this -- I certainly won't be, but it is stunning.