Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Arpège by Lanvin

I checked this out as a possible masculine (it isn't). The opening notes take some time to sort themselves out and are quite dissonant, but later Arpege turned into an absolutely beautiful sweet, rich woody floral. I can't help imagining Joanna Lumley or Helen Mirren wearing this -- I certainly won't be, but it is stunning.

Gin Fizz by Lubin

I tested this recently and liked very much. The name is spot on -- it actually smells like a sparkling gin. The juniper berry molecule must be pretty big as it tends to pervade the fragrance all the time. Probably not so effective out of the summer season, but well worth seeking out now.

Sélection Verte by Creed

I don't get the mint much (not complaining there) -- SV seems to be a no fuss citrus and verbena mix that is surprisingly powerful. I can't help feeling that for half the price you could revel in the equally delicious CDOV by Hermes. Still, a thumbs up.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

This has had some bad press, but I love this fragrance. The orange and grapefruit blend really well with the florals here. I took a chance with the longevity issue as my skin holds and holds and it did for at least 9 hours. This goes top for summer.Terrific work.

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

A truly fantastic lime note that lingers for ages and the drydown is beautiful. Knocks the Jo Malone into a top hat. A summer treat.

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

I am not usually drawn to this genre of fragrances, but this traditional masculine chypre is very nice indeed. It seems to be particularly well made with some top drawer ingredients in the mix. Having said that, the drydown of oakmoss and vetiver is twice as good as the top and middle -- it is worth waiting for. A bit of a 'steady eddie' but very nice.

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Basically a woody citrus, which has something about it that I like -- it's kinda weird in a good way and is a bit more complex than most. I either think it's great or was in a overly good mood when i tested it. I need to get a sample.

Le Vetyver by Lubin

Can't believe this is not more liked. The opening rush of mandarin and grapefruit, quickly followed by cloves and nutmeg is wonderful. The vetiver note is a killer. The drydown isn't that incensey to me, but more of a vetiver, wood and tobacco mix. The whole fragrance reeks of freshness and I prefer it to the rather overhyped Guerlain. Lasts for hours and hours on me, but I have very receptive skin (it seems).

Halston Man by Halston

I really like the spicy opening to this and was going to purchase, but decided to walk around for a bit with the tester. Lucky I did as it turned into a boring generic beast. I imagine all branches of Wetherspoons reeking of this on Friday nights. Avoid.

PS. Burberry have launched a new fragrance for men called 'Burberry Sport' (it had to come). I would now like to put on record that it is the most vile atrocious fragrance I have ever smelled. For non-perfume lovers who feel that something is better than nothing.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Blown away by this scent. Wonderful green citrus opening notes - a real pleasure for the nose. Such an unusual mix- hawthorn and mimosa ,still green as it dries down ,spicey ,a beautiful ,rounded ,sweet ambergris note comes in .Light and aromatic in character but not in scent , if you know what I mean. Very wearable by both sexes. Love !

nonnative's avatar
    nonnative

Kenzo Amour Indian Holi by Kenzo

While Kenzo was one of my favourite parfum makers (especially for summer scents) I was disappointed by Indian Holi. It is too soapy and without a clear personality. Staying power almost inexistent. Where is the spicy India of the name?

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

Mystère by Rochas

I have a little vintage mini, not sure of it's condition. On me, a very dry cooking-spice note dominates the top and hangs on into the heart. Coriander is listed; I would have guessed cumin. No other note makes it through the fog. I smell like a sink full of dishes at a noodle house.

Eventually, some florals worm their way into the mix and soften the cooking-spice a little bit, but by this time the scent as a whole is fading. Remains dry, and would make a decent masculine. I don't smell enough moss to identify this as a chypre.

Overall, not a favorite. I was surprised to see it compared to Magie Noire in "Perfumes: The Guide" as that is scent that sends me straight over the moon. Perhaps my sample has aged ungracefully or maybe coriander is just too difficult a note for me.

sfmedusa's avatar
    sfmedusa

Innocent Rock by Thierry Mugler

A pleasant enough fragrance, but still a real disappointment if you were looking for some relative of Angel as I was (and as it was pitched).

Sweet and unobjectionable but apparently totally without any individual recommending features and gone within 3 hours.

msveronica9's avatar
    msveronica9

Christos Woman by Christopher Chronis

This fragrance is discontinued but still available in Christopher Chronis stores until stocks run out. I was thrilled to come across a tester because I'd heard people rave about this scent! The bottle is blue glass in a cross shape and the lid is an elongated light blue plastic crown - reminded me of a robed papal figure with outstretched arms. I was expecting an incense-based fragrance but instead it was candy-apple, burnt sugar (caramel) and vanilla. I can see its appeal as a modern gourmand with plenty of 'oomph', but not really my thing.

David Ruskin's avatar
    David Ruskin

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Vile! To me it smells like a perfectly good woody amber spoiled by a bucket of cat sh*t. You can smell someone wearing it five minutes before they come into the room. Not clever, not funny; just vile

olfactorium's avatar
    olfactorium
    Belgium Belgium

Sorenza by Fragonard

That's another traditional take on a rose composition.Very smooth, creamy and dark rose as it used to be some 20 years ago.Some hints of oakmoss create an impression of a geranium motive.The whole experience reminds of those lady hydrating creams that i always saw my grandmother was using about 20 years ago.
    Still the best option for the price Fragonard that is offering.I dont believe that this kind of product would be available anywhere else for such a low price.

olfactorium's avatar
    olfactorium
    Belgium Belgium

Beau Gosse by Fragonard

Well i'm afraid that in this case the cheapness is pretty much proportional to the perfume as whole.Dominant,quite harsh masculine citrus with some herbal tints carefully accompanying it.Very cologne-style,very masculine and unfortunately quite artificial in the way that you definately can spot it even if they would swear that it's all natural.But it's true you can get hell a lot of it for a rediculous price also available as a shower product which i find much more usable.At least Fragonard is always very clear and honest about their ingredients.

mumsy's avatar
    mumsy

Spectacular by Joan Collins

Mine is a mini and therefore a little stale. It has a predictable strong first hit of sweetish muddled florals (that may be the stale aspect), but rapidly settles down to a pleasant but unremarkable, very mild amber floral fading to a powder. As if the notes have been put in to please everyone. Nothing to like or dislike.

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Stetson Fresh by Stetson

Stetson Fresh is a bit of a late bloomer in its category of fragrances. Since this was released in 2008, and falls very much along of the lines on CK One and Chrome, it's a little bit past its time. Fresh is a fitting name though, this stuff falls dead center between Curve Chill and CK One. CK One has too much citrus, and Chill is too soapy. Fresh is right in the middle.

As for the factors about the fragrance itself, well.. its projection is about average, maybe a little above. It starts off with more citrus, then gets soapier. I much prefer the opening over the drydown as the drydown reminds me of Chrome which is a fragrance I cannot stand.

I got .75 oz spray for under 3 bucks on clearance, and at that price, it's worth it. As for retail, ehh.. I think the retail price of the .75 oz is somewhere around 10-12 bucks, which isn't worth it. It may have good projection, but the sillage isn't as good, and the longevity isn't great either. For one to love this stuff, I'd say you'd have to love Chrome, Chill, Jordan (blue bottle) and CK One. I despise both Jordan and Chrome; while Chill and One are just okay to me. Stetson Fresh is also just okay.

Dark-X's avatar
    Dark-X

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

According To My Nose & Pocket:

Mildly intense smell.
    Cedar is the predominant note.
    A little bit expensive.
    Somehow, it stimulate me emotionally.
    Perhaps because its common, familiar smell.
    It lasts long enough.
    Don't spray more than 3, otherwise you will choke !
    Overall... Not For, But a good frag.

JeanieE's avatar
    JeanieE

Intuition by Estée Lauder

Sour powder on me. Oh, I was just prompted that this review is too short and I need to make it longer. OK, it's still sour powder on me.

pacman777's avatar
    pacman777

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Okay I got this based on mostly positive reviews without even trying it. Well I should have tried it before buying it. When I bought it and first tried it on my forearm it smells like a bar of Dial soap (not the fancy dial or other scented ones, but the plain old yellow dial soap). It seems after about 10 minutes the scent sets in and smells a little bit better, but still not a big fan of it. I should've just stuck to Coolwater instead of trying to branch out

ComeBundas's avatar
    ComeBundas

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I blind bought this frag based on BaseNotes and I painfully regret. Its the worst scent I ever smelled in my whole life, kinda unique indeed and not even a little synthetic, but imagine you around a campfire in the middle of an old forest and you smell that scent and that nasty smoke imbued in you, yes its the same s**t....I never felt nauseated smelling any scent, even Joop PH that I hate so much, but this Gucci PH is nasty, evil and bad... It gave a freaking headache and when I tried to smell another good scent that I love it, I couldnt. PLS DONT BLIND BUY THIS FRAG

Summarizing: Smoke Burned Wood Scent with Incense....

jcastano's avatar
    jcastano

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

This was my signature scent when I was 13 years old and followed me into high school and even my first year in college. I'll tell you right now, it has never failed me.....EVER!!!! I still wear it from time to time and when I do, I understand why this is still a best seller and still very popular. It was insane how women swarmed me every time I wore it and even now that I'm older, it has that same effect! Even the bottle is beautiful. It's truly something unique and complex and I've never smelled anything like it. Describing this scent is too difficult though. The note breakdown is crazy and might be the reason this scent is hard to put into words. Basically, it's opening is a green, sweet, fruity, damp moss. The middle is a sweet ginger, floral combination that becomes musky, mossy, fruity (pineapple), and extremely woody, with hints of amber and light pepper. It still maintains that sweetness from the ginger throughout as well. Think of L'Homme by YSL with a heavy moss and heavy woods. Curve is something along those lines. It draws many compliments and best of all, it can be worn by anyone, any age, at any time of the year! It gets a lot of flack from people saying it's a scent geared more toward the younger crowd but I've smelled this on older gentlemen and they've pulled it off nicely. I can't rave enough of how amazing this scent is to me and truly, no positive review gives it enough credit so I suggest that anyone should consider having this one in their collection! Not sold, well then did I mention it's dirt cheap? Grab yourself a bottle and try it!

On another note, I'm sad to mention that this scent has indeed been reformulated. Although I don't have any confirmed documentation etc, my old bottles compared to my new ones do not lie. The new formulation doesn't contain that green, sweet, fruity, damp mossy accord in the top notes anymore. It's toned down immensely, and the drydown seems flat. The notes aren't in sync like they were in the old formulation, and the overall quality of this scent is cheap and overly synthetic. As it was, the old formulation was already synthetic smelling, but now, it just smells like chemicals. It's a shame that this is what people are sniffing now when they sniff this. The old formulation used to last 10+ hours on me with beastly projection! 3 sprays was all I needed for a whole day but now, this stuff is lucky to give me 4 hours and doesn't project well at all! Maybe that's why the negative reviews on this have seemed to appear more and more when I look it up. The love for it has ceased but you can't blame it on Curve, blame the cheap companies who hold back on quality and still charge premiums!

16 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2011)

Wordbird's avatar
    Wordbird
    Wales Wales

Agua Perfumada Lirio de Agua by Zara

Presented in a large 200ml chunky rectangular bottle with a simple black cap that looks a lot like the Marc Jacbos splashes (and Chanel Exclusifs), this will look good on a dressing table. Always a good start.
    Not so expensive as any of the above though, which is another plus point if you're looking for something simple and pretty that you can splash on with abandon.

The notes listed are:
    Top - Tangerine/ Mandarina
    Middle - Waterlily/ Lirio de Agua
    Base - Sandalwood/ Madera de Sandolo

It's a nice, fresh, slightly citrus, rather cut-grass opening, with hints of warmth beneath as it develops on the skin. It reminds me of L'Eau par Kenzo and I'll be wearing it in similar circumstances - summer days when I want freshness without getting into soapy or citrus territory. The heart is gently warm with perhaps a bit of floralcy but nothing I could put my finger on. The base is similarly gentle, blending into the skin and quietly seeming to disappear.

If you were looking for a nice gift for a female friend, this would be good. It's not sexy or sultry,(so if you're a guy, no worries about giving the wrong impression,) but it feels and looks more expensive and luxurious than it is. I think younger women would appreciate this as it's a change from the Frootichooli and Superfruity fragrances that are often aimed at them. I know my goddaughter, who is 21, prefers this type of quiet and calm fragrance. In fact, I'll be sending decants to both my goddaughters, the 13 year old as well as the 21 year old.

TaoLady's avatar
    TaoLady

Mogador by Keiko Mecheri

Encountered as a sample, this one MUST join my rose collection. (La Rose Jacqeminot - Nahema - Fleurs de Bulgarie, etc.) On me the roses are dew drenched, heavy-headed and sumptuous. Full blown Bulgarian roses in the height of summer - can you tell I love it??!!

kbe's avatar
    kbe

Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

Coffee, licorice, rum and the smell of late day Autumn cut grasses . Unique. Intoxicating. Devastatingly beautiful. This is the stuff fragrant dreams are made of.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Ispahan by Yves Rocher

Yes, it does resemble Opium/Cinnabar. Like other Yves Rocher scents I've sampled, there's not much in the way of top notes or basenotes..it's all straight up what you get right out of the bottle. This is a pleasant spicy mix. But it doesn't have overly much in the way of personality. It does lie close to the skin as mentioned, making it safe for the office.

17 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2010)

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Hearts & Daggers for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

A strong, peppery and slightly powdery FRUITY scent that lasts. It's also very woodsy. A nice change of pace from those absolute fruity fragrances. Good longevity and also doesn't seem to be too strong but too much can get overwhelming. I find it a nice change of pace/good wardrobe rotation when I get bored of the citrus stuff, the oakmoss-based stuff and the sweet stuff.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Parure by Guerlain

To me, after to Djedi, this is the strangest Guerlain scent I've smelled. I agree with JaimeB in that there is a pervasive note of cinnamon that moves through the scent from beginning to end. In the beginning I get plum/cinnamon, in the heart I get rose with a more quiet cinnamon and in the dry down the faint leather finally comes riding in on the meaty oakmoss. I don't get any of the amber that was mentioned. I also agree with JessicaGrace that it fades rather quickly. I started out with a vintage 5 ml min of the EDT which left me frustrated that there was very little sillage and it disappeared too quickly to truly get a handle on it. I held my judgement until I could nab a small amout of the pure parfum, which anybody who has been looking for it knows is basically next to impossible. However I managed to find a few drops and It is so much richer and deeper. But eevn in parfum form it doesn't project that well and lays close to the skin. It's such an intriguing scent that it's worth it. BUT apparently "intriguing" is enough to get a scent discontinued in today's perfume world. I don't even like rose or plum notes, but I love this!