Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

You want green - take this ! It's intensely green , dry ,herbacious especially when first applied .Quite mind blowing . Slowly I get great blend of floral ( I get iris, rose ,jasmine ) notes coming in to soften the initial green explosion .It gets a little powdery, woody .
    A classic ! It's a wonderful chypre . Such an olfactory adventure.

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

An interesting rose and tea scent- smells quite quaint and old fashioned- velvety roses to begin with a hint of tea. It's an airy scent. However as it prgoress, the scent loses that plush feel and becomes a little synthetic . Then it smells ordinary. It's a shame because the opening is beautiful ,romantic and classy.

Cabaret by Grès

Composed by Michel Almairac.Begins with some citrus and then it's all sharp rose . The incense hits from the beginning too. This is the way for me to wear a rose fragrance as rose is not one of my favorite notes.
    An old school rose chypre ,strong ,strong sillage, long lasting. Slight 'sharp' note in this too. Dry scent and sexy too.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

One of the first Dyptique's I ever tried and it was love at first sniff . I am not a great rose note fan but this is superb . So rich , somewhat dark and deep in smell - baroque rose. I find it quite sweet , syrupy - almost verging into gourmand territory . Quite a strong, vivid ,memorable scent.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This is for the Musc Oil for her version.
    I am anosmic to the musc in this which makes me sad. I can only get a faint floral note and vanilla. What I do smell is delicious and I only which I could smell more......:(

Vanille Absolu by Montale

One of the best straight vanilla scents out there. It's pure vanilla - not overly candy sweet at all. It's grown up vanilla with hint of smoke ,a touch of woods -but not too much . Addictive, sniffable and with Montale's trademark longevity and sillage.A versatile quality fragrance. I can well imagine this would be someone's Holy Grail vanilla scent .

Milk by Ava Luxe

This is similar to Love's True Bluish Light but add the condensed sweet note of milk to it. It's gorgeous ,gourmand ,addictive with that fabulous amber/vanilla that Serena uses. A comfort scent. No doubt it is lovely. Long lasting ,great sillage. A joy.

Aqua Allegoria Angélique Lilas by Guerlain

An absolute a joy to wear this ! It's uplifting ,airy - a satisfying floral - greenish scent . Quite fresh . I get lilac, the heliotrope which is beautiful ,angelica which I adore . I think a man could pull this one off too .Very summery . The Guerlain touch .....

Wode by Boudicca

With notes of juniper, cardamom, nutmeg, clary sage, coriander, angelica root, saffron, tonka bean, styrax, amber, treemoss, musk and leather - this is a opaque, unique , dry scent. Very green ,spicey with the nutmeg,cardamom ,mossy .A bit strange- very unisex but I think you have to be a brave owman to wear this. Smells almost primeval . Leathery and dark .Interesting .

Olibanum by Ava Luxe

When I first tried this EDP - I must say I was taken a back. I was new to niche perfumery and I felt this was overly strong, acomplete assault of my senses.
    Now a few years later, it is a wonder ! I love this but I think it is probably discontinued by Ava Luxe now.
    Rich ,strong, deep olibanum - it smells pure ,the muk is over shadowed by the frankincense in all honesty .Quite linear- you must absolutely love frankincense to love this one.
    Huge longevity and better than average sillage- my sample wafts even though it is closed. . Something about this scent smells magical.

APOM pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Such a subtly beautiful well blended orange blossom and cedarwood. The ylang ylang is not so prominent on my skin- thank goodness. The cedar wood just gives this pretty scent an edge ,cutting into the orange blossom .It's sweet ,not soapy at all but also not gourmand .It's not sexy but classy . I prefer this to Lumiere Noire. Infinitely sniffable !

Gardenia Grand Soir by Parfumerie Generale

Parfumerie Generale's new Gardenia Grand Soir by Piere Guillaume.
    Notes : gardenia accord, australian sandalwood,mysore sandalwood, Sandalore (synthetic - warm sweet sandalwood aroma - powerful ,tenacious ,diffusive - taken from givaudan.org )

Begins with a touch of green - not much at all and frankly- that's as green as this scent gets. I get ' soapy green leaves ' at the start and some sandalwood and then all hell breaks loose . It gets quite intense and sweet ( I'm guessing this is the 'Grand Soir ' bit ) .
    I am sorry but I am hard pushed to smell any authentic -type gardenia in this . I get soap- sweet -floral .
    Maybe it's an gardenia corsage someone accidently sprayed with another floral perfume- that's what I get.
    After a while the intense sweet floral closes off and is replaced primarily with sandalwood though I think the sandalwood is there from the start ,in it's own way. Then the green comes back and it's green woody floral .

My thoughts- this is a strange ,odd perfume. Not really much gardenia at all .If anything it's a green leaf gardenia corsage all mashed up to a pulp and mixed with sandalwood. Odd,peculiar and not very compelling to me. So disappointing for me - with a name like that, you would expect the grandest gorgeous blooming gardenia .

That's $95 dollars per 50 mls richer for me to put towards something else.

's avatar

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

Oh, WOW! I just got some of the vintage of this stuff, and I am bowled over. I am not typically able to write concise reviews, but...
    This scent combines the Latinate, full-bodied Majesty of Czech and Speake's Cuba with the simple, citric good-breeding of YSL's original PH. And it's just divine, in an all-man, lavender-soapy, yet-stately way.

's avatar

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

GAG, I really hate this.
    A super-synthetic aquatic ginger scent ...perhaps perfect for the all-smiles, life-lover type, who finds 'magic' and 'beauty' in all things insipid and mundane.

urfliness's avatar
    urfliness

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

UH, THIS IS DEFINTELY NOT "BETTER" imo -than the original.However Modern Reserve (like many opinions before) maintians the masucline character but puts a new twist on it if you will.It's modern because unlike the original many mens frag are not chacteristicly "bold" and "in your face" as they once were. This frag has gracefully evoloved to the Modern era of quality mens frags.Longevity is magnificent without sickening and to me that is one tell tale sign of a quality fragrance.

mel_lou's avatar
    mel_lou

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

This was my favourite scent, back before I was big into perfumes. I first happened across it just before boarding a flight home from Venice; I couldn't afford to buy it then and there, but I requested a bottle for Christmas. Santa was good to me that year! I eagerly doused myself in it - and promptly developed a terrible headache.

Of course, I did not immediately connect the headache with the perfume. It took a few more wears for me to make the leap. I've worn it ... maybe ten times, in all the years I've had the bottle, and I've been headache-less once. It's such a shame. I love the vanilla, the amber, the hints of spices. It's still one of my favourites, despite the lack of longevity; it lasts a bare three hours on my skin. The headache, unfortunately, sticks all day.

I didn't wear it for a number of years, but at the back end of 2009 I started to get into perfume seriously, and a 'fume pal told me she'd always found it "milky". Of course, I had to revisit it, and she is quite correct. It's milky, sweet, still spicy with vanilla underneath. I do love it. So thumbs up, because it's lovely, but a four-star rating for the pain!

mel_lou's avatar
    mel_lou

Oriens by Van Cleef & Arpels

Love at first sniff. This is not sophisticated! But it is a lot of fun. It starts out aggressively girly, the berries heavily in play. They stick around for a while, and then the jasmine starts to emerge. I love jasmine, but what I really like about this is the dirty patchouli lurking underneath. I mean, it is DIRTY. Not earthy, but dirty and sweet. I like the movement of this scent, from a girlish giggle to a woman's purr. I wish the purr was a little louder, maybe, but we can't have everything!

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

Début by Delrae

I supported myself in college by servine magaritas at a Mexican restaurant. One night a group of guys my age came in and ordered the house special: Cuervo Gold on the rocks.

When I approached the table wiht my tray of margaritas they started snickering. One of the nicer fellas said, "Miss, you've fallen into the glass." Indeed. In my attempt to balance the heavy tray I brought it close to my chest, and my left bosom had plopped into the wide top.

I spent the rest of the night smelling like tart lime and sugar. Not a memory I care to recall, but Debut managed to bring it up.

This is just too strong/bitter/tart or something with that lime/green note. I waited and waited for it to mellow out, but it didn't happen. I love ylang ylang and lily, but couldn't detect them at all because of the green harshness.

In short, if I want to smell like a strong lime all day I already know what to do

17 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2010)

glam's avatar
    glam

Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée by Guerlain

I was very leary of any of the lights, being die hard vintage Shalimar fan but this one is a beauty!! Of course by Laurent, so no surprise. A great summer scent .

Royal English Leather by Creed

Thought it was great at first. Purchased a bottle and regret it. Its too sweet for my taste. While the dry down is nice, getting past the overly sweet, urinal cake freshner top could be a challenge. Lasts long.

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Green florals. Thought it was bland at first, but the more I wear it, the more I realize that its more complex. I like it. Doesn't hurt that I'm a sucker for violet leaves.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

OK but not ground breaking. Easy to overdo this one so careful on the trigger.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Unique to say the least. Smells expensive. Top smells like whiskey and metal, middle introduces violet leaves and cedar, base ends with a sweet cedar. Lasts 10 hours on me.

Eau it's You's avatar
    Eau it's You

Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley

To me Sisley 1 is an unexpected joy for my senses.
    After wearing Eau Dynamissante by Clarins for 20 odd years I was looking for something different and this fragrance was recommended to me as a wouldbe alternative.
    Citrusfruits, berries, spices and cyphres, and not too sweet!
    I'm not quite the nose that most of you probally are, but I somehow had an association with Jill Sander no.3 when I smelled this fragrance.
    Anyhow, I fell in love and will wear this happily this summer and on.

JeanieE's avatar
    JeanieE

Duende by J del Pozo

Big, but could be bigger, on linden blossom, ylang, and cedar. I like those: wish they were more prominent, actually. But, yes, what is causing that sharpness? The caraway? I'd take that out, along with the melon and mimosa. Overall this is a pretty, light scent that has very low sillage for me.

superduper007's avatar
    superduper007

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

it's different kinds of sexy.

this one's got salty but clean, cool but warm. definitely reminds me of sweaty indian summer night. I don't get the aqua feeling much in personal opinion, but definitely clean and clam. this buddy has musky scent on the base note, somewhat masculine, but not overpowering. a guy posted, it reminds him of dirty ocean, sweaty salty marine scent, that's why I exactly like about this buddy.

kodafume's avatar
    kodafume

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Lemongrass, Lavender and Citronella with a dry down like deep woods Off insect repellent.

I wanted to like this cologne. It was a gift from my wife and we had been exploring different frags. We both liked Obsession and had talked about the other CK frags so she gave me Eternity.

This is my first fourgere so perhaps I am just not a fan of this type of perfume but to my nose this stuff is insect repellent. It burns my nostrils, waters my eyes, and has a bitterness to it not masked by the washsoap hint of lavender.

It smells not so much of the deep woods and a spring day, as it does of camping trips full of mosquitos.

soirdelune's avatar
    soirdelune

Vivara (original) by Emilio Pucci

This is a lovely perfume! A herby, slightly powdery and slightly sweet (honied?) green chypre. Blooms deliciously on the skin! I have a little vintage mini and am now madly in search of an FB. Very pretty indeed! New iteration bears no resemblance, whatsoever!

17 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2012)

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

Notes: incense, sandalwood, rose, tobacco, spice (cardamom, pepper, ginger).
    Crisp and juicy ginger – that’s the distinguishing feature of this scent. Sometimes it smells like a freshly-cut root, other times it is like the pickled ginger at a sushi restaurant. Many scents promise ginger, this one delivers! The spices are woody-dry and very good. The incense is haunting, dry, and not over-done. The scent is green and lively. It is bright and invigorating, a real tonic, just like fresh ginger. There are some smoky, tobacco-leaf notes in the background. The dry-down is a satisfying, gentle spice chord. I like this scent a lot.

18 June, 2010

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque

This starts with orange blossom, which changes into a lemon-drop note. There is also a lot minty notes here, ones that are sometimes green and other times a bit like toothpaste. As the everlasting flower appears, it gives a dusky, metallic and somewhat heavy note that is something like white musk. I don’t care for this final aspect and thus I don’t really like this scent.

18 June, 2010