Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

sfonativeboy's avatar

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I finally got a full bottle of this wonderful scent
    and I am sooo pleased with it.
    Its my first venture into the
    Gourmand category of fragrances.

I love this smooth, sensuously
    light and spicy scent.

The Saffron infusion ...added to
    a rich and unique mixture of flower notes and my favorite base ... Vanilla!!!!

although it may sound like a "Plate of Paella"...
    its very .... Uni-Sex in my book...

I cant stop smelling my wrist ....
    and can't wait to wear this out and see what the response is from friends and strangers.

UP Date Oct7 2010:
    My only compliant:
    Non lasting and fleeting!
    I find myself spraying it over and over....
    to recapture its ethereal
    magic.

19 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2011)

Thebigstinque's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Here is another one where the scent hardly matters, even if they’d never throw you out of a theatre for wearing this.

When I was a little kid I saved my snow shovelling money, my paper route money, my odd jobs money, whatever, in part so I could buy my dad a small bottle of 4711, the “real Cologne Water”, and my mom the smallest bottle (all I could afford) of Chanel No. 5 for Christmas.

Christmas morning he’d make great show of shaving and splashing this on as aftershave before we hosted or visited family. The Roccoco gold-and-green label was a perfect complement to the staid citrus/herbs contents which had the good grace to disappear shortly after it lent its imprimatur to the occasion. I was awed by his ability to ensure that it ran out just before Christmas next.

Ultimately 4711 taught me to appreciate scent, largely by making it clear that I preferred others, and for that it will have both my continued thanks and a place on my shelf.

19 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2011)

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

Organza by Givenchy

Dreaming ,elegant and classical scent.A mythus.Nice gardenia,jasmine white petals on a velvet woody-vanilla base.Special occations wearable perfume that magnetizes with its style.Like the fabric:smooth, valueable and finest.
    Organza is a celebration for the senses. It is gentle, silky, opulent, and is the personification of beauty and love for perfection. Organza is the goddess that exists in every woman, she incarnates a pure and timeless beauty. Organza combines the floral with a hint of jasmine and vanilla to really bring out the smell.I love the bottle and perfume.

19 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2011)

sfonativeboy's avatar

Back to Black by By Kilian

I Need You Like A Drug
    Highly addictive I kept applying a bit on my wrist .. just to smell it!!
    ...stealing private "scentual" moments to myself .. while riding the bus...!

I like what IGNIS said .... "Sophisticated Sexiness" and "It's REALLY dreamy"

To breakdown and pin point all of this fragrance's complicated notes belittles it somehow....
    but this is my impression...
    fruity at first ...
    Raspberries ..a touch of honeydew melon...
    then it settles to a sweet candy ...could that be the honey and the olibanum, everybody mentions...
    settling in a combo of ...
    vanilla,amber and light tobacco.

To quote Claudia
    from Interview with the Vampire
    "I want some more!

19 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2011)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This one is dry and shares the vibe with Gucci Pour Homme I, but Dirty English is tad bit more airiy and loose whilst Gucci PH I is much more elegant. Very masculine with good longevity and a solid projection. It is not sweet or citric, that's the point. Most of the scents are either too sweet or overly citrus like. I'm not saying that this scent is very original but it is worthy of attention and possesion non the less.

19 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2011)

scentsitivity's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I have worn the EDT several times.

I think this is the most interesting of the pre-1910 Guerlain’s that has survived (although my favorite in that category is Eau du Coq). Like its name suggests, it conveys the feeling of a damp garden after a rain. Whenever I have been in a damp garden after a rain, I feel introspective. And Apres L’ondée captures both the scent and that introspective feeling quite well. For me it is a metallic-tinged floral top that becomes more powdery with the drydown. Heliotropes, violets and white florals. I think this could be worn by either sex.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

I'm getting fresh mint leaves-quite green.Refreshing,clean, subtle,perfect for hot days. A simple green, true mint fragance, unisex, not very long lasting .

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Absolute delight. Grapefruit, slightly tart married perfectly with vanilla . Moderately sweet ,very little patchouli. Well ,Guerlain know how to do citrus + vanilla ! Very sniffable but not very tenacious.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Oh dear , I really thought I would love this one. This is my 2nd sampling and it is very ordinary . It's unisex but it smells too much like 'aftershave' or men's shampoo for me to wear. Citrus and light sweet orange to me.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

I'm trying and trying to understand what it is that people love about this scent. I'm even wondering if my Luckyscent sample is not fresh . This comes over as 'plastic citrus' on my skin. It is awful .

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Guerlain Homme Intense by Guerlain

Guerlain Homme Intense is a delightful surprise from Guerlain. I believe its main problem will be that it is a modern scent from a traditional house. Human resistance to the new will be its bete noir for a while.

Its opening rhubarb and mint accords are just great, IMO. An aromatic delight. I really wished they lasted longer. My consolation is that the fresh yet woody accords which follow are such a joy. It is a sweet scent, but not in the toothache-inducing sense. Here, the woods counterbalance the sweets so well, yet they do not cancel eachother out. Rather, the balance creates a dynamic (perhaps what some reviewers call "tension") that adds gravitas to the blend.

GHI is one of those frags that make me twist and turn in order to catch a whiff of it. It makes me feel good all over. GHI has substantial sillage and is serious longevity.

I dare say that if this frag was released under a different name and from a new house it would receive more favourable acclaim. However, it is a Guerlain, and we will all be looking for Habit Rouge or Mitsouko or (fill the blank) references from it, and our sore disappointment will result in negative reviews. GHI is a new direction, and i am glad it is a direction i like very much.

urfliness's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I actually got this by accident.Whebn I realized it was for women I gave it to my mother.She used it for a bit and gave it back as she is not a big frag person like myself. GQ mag suggested this can be a great scent for men.How right they were.Very fresh-refreshing.tHis scent is lush and "airy" ,especially on sweltering summer days.

garville's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

I love the scent, but after many hours it becomes cloying. It is close to my skin and has a very good sillage. I will give it a hesitant thumbs up because I like the scent.

D.Sprad's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Hm. I got this one as a gift, and I'm pretty happy with it. I might have bought it myself. It's an extravagant opening, as is typical for CK scents. It then goes to the middle notes, and then the ba-WAIT. No, I NEVER got ANY base notes for this. I wore this and got a longevity of about 7 hours - average, before it began to fade away. Never in there did I get ANY of the listed base notes, which I was a bit sad about. I liked the listed woodsy base, but as it dried down I got the herbal, citrusy middle as listed... and it just kept at it for maybe 5 1/2 - 6 hours. It's an average scent, nothing eye-opening... and a small tear of disappointment for the lack of the base.

lauraschoice's avatar

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I think some people may turn their noses up at this fragrance since it is so much associated with the 80's. Their loss. This is a fun, happy scent that I like a lot and is especially good for summer. It seems to me to be an perfect balance of floral and fruit. Use sparingly, a little goes a long waybut the sillage is excellent.

lauraschoice's avatar

Unbound by Halston

This is a very weak floral with even weaker citrus notes and a soapy note on top of it all. Not enough of any one thing to make it a keeper; skip it and look elsewhere.

suzi2qs's avatar

Oxygène by Lanvin

Late to the party on this one because I found it at TJ Maxx for $13. This scent is very different from the ones I truly love and adhere to. That being said, I am kind of glad I stumbled upon this. For the money, it would not break my heart to swap it or even toss it, Lord knows, I tossed crystal glasses at my ex-loveliness that cost way more than my bottle of Oxygene. This surprised me in a very pleasant way. This is ozonic and clean but the notes are of good quality. I get pepper, sandalwood and a non-cloying floral, I find it very pleasant, especially since the warm weather has come. My nose finds no musk in this juice, perhaps because I associate musk as being dirty and animalic, the way I like it. Clean musk does not compute in my brain. I can see that this would have to be reapplied several times daily to make me happy, I like to smell and be smelled. This is light, but not transparent. Think I will enjoy wearing this scent occasionally, well into the Autumn. Doubt I would repurchase because although I am enamoured, it has not seduced me.

suzi2qs's avatar

Angel Garden Of Stars - Rose Angel by Thierry Mugler

Patchouli is one of my favorite notes, I love Borneo 1834, Montale Patchouli Leaves and Coromandel. Could never do Angel though. It is popular as hell among designer fragrances but on me, a complete disaster. I still shudder at the memory of trying Angel at a Macy's some years ago and driving home in my compact car in the blistering heat with all the windows open, my only thought being "must shower, must shower now"! This Mugler offering is something I can get on board with. It is rose, not the down & dirty rose I usually pal around with, but a warm, fully blooming rose, not sharp, but certainly present. The patch is there from beginning to end and this fragrance has the lasting power and sillage I seek, a good 4+ hours. Anything less than that is usually a dealbreaker. I have been on a rose kick as of late and I think this one will be used often. It layered very well with my Montale Black Aoud. A pleasant interesting rose for sure, not unconventional or shockingly original, but nice and easy to wear.

Blackexpress's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A great fragrance that is unlike any other. This would be considered a supernova of fragrance that continues in cosmic waves of uniqueness for hours. Where as others explode at the top like a firecracker and quickly dry down to parfum confetti.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

I don't know if I got a botched bottle of this stuff or something, but it smelled HORRIBLE. I'd spray it out of curiosity and then regret it for as long as I could smell it. . .

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

There was too much going on in this fragrance. Perhaps it smells better in temperate and cold regions, but in a tropical climate the different notes meld and become something almost indistinguishable and almost rancid if you're not careful

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

My dad bought this one for my little bro two years ago. The given the tropical climate of Jamaica, any note with a high ammonia content will overpower the other notes present. That came through every now and then, but when it settled or if experienced in a cold area it was a nice, overtly masculine smell.

In retrospect, it was far too mature of my brother. Perhaps that's why my father and I used it more than he did :)

Happy by Clinique

I love Happy by Clinique because it is instantly wearable. The notes are unduly pretentious in description though ! ( I have edited this because I do not know HOW I could have thought this is anything like Gucci By Gucci in the brown bottle. ! )
    This is simply a citrus floral with great lasting power.
    It's light hearted, summery and a good every day scent when you cannot think of what else to wear. I wish the bottle were more attractive and I do not like the name 'Happy' - it's a name for a pet dog ,rabbit, hamster, gerbil or something cute, one of the seven dwarves or something furry and non vicious .
    So not the height of sophistication but still a pretty scent.

20th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2011)

queen cupcake's avatar

Vanilla Fields by Coty

I get plenty of vanilla in Vanilla Fields. Hadn't worn it in years, but recently acquired a bottle in an auction lot. I am reviewing an older bottle which I estimate to be from the first formula. I does smell different than a new one you would buy today. It's actually pretty good for a drugstore scent! I sometimes layer it with more severe, incense type scents.

20th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2011)

StylinLA's avatar

Antico Caruso by Profumum

Maybe this is Le Male for grownups.

I eschewed initially after a brief in store test. The opening notes do conjure up Le Male- the first time you smell it - but in many wearings over time, I don't get that vibe any more. It morphs into a fantastic almond/sandalwood scent that conjures up very opulent soap. It is fairly linear, but the quality is so good I don't care.

As to the "barbershop" thing- well, maybe European barbershop. It doesn't have the North American barbershop vibe to me.

The price is horrendous, and I certainly wish they sold it in 50ml bottles. But if this kind of scent appeals to you, it's worth it. It is top quality juice for sure.

I haven't tried all the Profumum scents, but this one makes it pretty clear they're working with high quality materials. Longevity is fantastic.

20th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 November, 2011)

manicboy's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Flanker to YSL's Jazz? Methinks not despite the use of Jazz in the name and the same bottle design. LJ is a lively frag starting out with a burst of grapefruit, mint and lemon peel. Intense and tart as it does the nose equivalent to a squirt in the eye from a grapefruit, but it simmers down before you can count to 100. Moves into a herbaceous accord where cilantro and basil take this from the orchards to the fields. Wonderful progression and never feels tired. Ends with a walk in a forest of light cedar and tonka.

Perfect for spring/summer days where you want a light, fresh frag that doesn't bore you after 15 minutes. Much more than the sum of its parts, LJ is the epitome of fresh summery frags. Jean Claude-Ellena secretly wishes his light colognes for Hermes were this good. One of Pierre Bourdon's best and runs rings around his own creation, Cool Water.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Bulgari Petits et Mamans by Bulgari

Love it for work to remind me of my baby throughout the day, fresh, powdery, sweet and light :)

sandy1951's avatar

Gold by Donna Karan

I ordered a large bottle of the EDP about a week ago. I wanted something different from my usual scent suspects and the BN reviews were intriguing so...I leaped, unsniffed. And all I can say is OMG, my HG has been found. I cannot stop spritzing it, and I have lost all interest in all my other perfumes. I really cannot add anything to the marvelous reviews already posted. Except that there is no cucumber note that I can detect. A hint of aquatic is all that I can smell, not cucumberish, but a viney green scent. It has a lovely luscious drydown, the amber is soft and gorgeous. The only flaw in our budding relationship is that it doesn't last on me. After an hour or so, it becomes a skin scent, and a couple of hours later is gone.Not even a whiff left. I am going to order, if I can find it, lotion and bath gel or oil and see if layering makes it last longer.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons

This is very weird. I get none of the smells mentioned here, just plain and simple dentist's rooms! The cold, sterile, lightly cinnamon-ey smell of a dentist's office, that's all. Would have SWORN there's cinnamon in here! After an hour or two that's gone and the thing is quite floral and light. Strange! Didn't say any kind of garage to me.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar by Comme des Garçons

Very very nice, and quite similar to Dzing! Also family to Bulgari Black. As I own those two, I guess I don't need Tar. If you like those kinds of scents, though, try Tar - it's cheaper to boot.