Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Authentic masterpiece! .A symphony of herbs, a heart Fougère, an explosion of patchouli all seated in a base of vetiver and Russian Leather.
    This marvel oozes masculinity, sensuality and refinement in equal parts.
    Gentleman, even belonging to the classic group of those that contains nobles and dense materials, it differs from that kind of powerful fragrances by combining those materials with mastery and including notes which show herbal and green parts, giving a hint cooler to the whole.
    Amazing longevity, of guinness world record.
    Must have.

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

I tried a free sample of it and quickly ordered a 100ml bottle.
    I absolutely seduced by the floral heart of violet leaf, mixed with greens and spicy vibes.the whole turn out energetic, very masculine and fresh. Sensual scent much appreciated by the opposite sex, raise up many compliments with him.
    Unfortunately , short longevity on my skin.

lauraschoice's avatar

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

After an initial blast of something too sharp, this scent settles into a nice comfortable spot, not too floral, not to fruity, not too woodsy, not too sweet, nor too strong. If you're looking for something that doesn't stand out, give this a try. If you like perfumes with a little more personality then move on.

lauraschoice's avatar

Cynthia Rowley by Cynthia Rowley

This scent goes on with a blast of fresh-cut green something but settles into a watery lemon that both disappoints and doesn't last more than a few hours. If you're crazy for citrus you might want to give it a try but "So Pink" from the Gap is a much better buy.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

For a while I was wondering if it was actually chocolate that I'm smelling in this stuff. The reason it smells different than most chocolate notes or accords is because of the way it's blended with the moss. It gives it kind of a bitter/moldy smell, but in the best way possibly.

When you first spray it on, you can smell the chocolate, moss and the vanilla behind it. The vanilla is very creamy and almost smells berry like. The vanilla doesn't get much of the spotlight until the chocolate dies down a bit, and even then.. it's not your typical vanilla.. it's a chocolate and vanilla combination. This along with some nutmeg and what smells like raspberry and rose make for a surprising and unpredictable middle that sort of smell like some kind of chocolate/raspberry truffle. The middle is very nice and long lasting. The base has traces of sandalwood, maybe even oak wood. The moss dies down but is always there until the end.

With its chocolate and mossy opening, unpredictable and unorthodox middle of chocolate, creamy vanilla, raspberry, rose and nutmeg, and its well done slightly woodsy base, Animale Animale is a very nice one for the price. While it is different, it isn't quite unique. It resembles Rochas Man and A*Men in many ways, but it does have its own take on a gourmand. Projection is nice, and longevity is decent. Unlike many.. I get about 4-6 hours with this most of the time, but I have gotten up to 10 before, so it is temperamental.

Is it worth the price? Hells ya. Absolutely; and for something different, I'd say it's a perfectly safe blind buy. Just make sure you like the chocolate, vanilla and moss, as those are the most noticeable notes. Being that you can get a 1.7 oz bottle for about 12 bucks, and a 3.3 for under 20, you can't go wrong. I think this stuff is even worth the retail prices between 35-55 bucks. Reason being.. it has great notes, it's appealing to most, it's a little different, and best of all (at least to me) it has no nasty chemical odors. It does smell synthetic, but not as entirely as many others in its genre. B+ for Animale Animale!

The_Cologneist's avatar

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

I'm quite glad my original review didn't get published yet, leaving me time to do a more intense review of this. Lucky You brings those nasty chemical odors to the table, as only Claiborne can do. I'm not 100% sure the Lucky house is part of Claiborne, but I've been told it is, and judging by the structure and smell of most of their fragrances, it certainly feel this way.

If you get that harsh chemical note from Curve, you'll get it here, only much more magnified. Strangely enough, I find it tolerable in Lucky You because I enjoy the notes more than I do Curve. both are fairly similar, but Lucky You has a more complex dry down. the opening is a citrus blast, but it's not at all tangy like you get from many citrus fragrances, it's not entirely sweet either which leaves it with this rather natural smell. I'd say if the chemical odor weren't there, I would believe that somebody cut up fresh oranges, lemons, limes, and mandarins and jammed them into the bottle some how. Another plus about this fragrance, especially for being cologne strength is that it projects quite well, and not just during the opening, but for the middle and base as well. The middle becomes a little more floral, and the base becomes more woodsy. Longevity is anywhere from 4-6 hours, but sometimes you may get 8+.

I just can't get over this chemical smell, I'm beginning to think they put it in there on purpose because it's so dominating here. I find that unlike Curve though, when Lucky You gets applied in moderation, the chemical odors aren't as noticeable. At the end of the day we get another generic citrus fragrance, but slightly more recognizable than others. I do like the bottle very much, but I won't be purchasing this again.

23 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2010)

Kbar's avatar

Israel Israel

Déclaration by Cartier

The cumin is very present. it doesnt smell bad, but it does not smell like something i would like to smell like.

I did get the BO note which didnt mix well with it. It remained me one bad experience of going to the gym after eating Indian/Mediterranean food.

fitch256's avatar

Colden by Abercrombie & Fitch

This would be a lot better if it weren't a blatant ripoff of CK Euphoria. If you want to know what this smells like, read the review of Euphoria.

23 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2010)

lille_my's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Féerie by Van Cleef & Arpels

Fun and innocent. Got it at a fair price.. not sure I would pay full price

manicboy's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Not very original but it's fabulous. Take two already great-smelling ingredients and put them together for one big accord. And it's huge. The tobacco hits you at first blast and is joined with dried fruits (prunes, figs). The tobacco is more leaf than pipe to my nose as I get no smoke from this brew. Imagine a dark and dank cellar of yesteryear where tobacco and fruits are left to dry out. The vanilla creeps in to blend marvelously with the tobacco. At times, it smells like powdery cocoa and honey. Lasts forever and a day. A 50ml bottle will last a lifetime. Tommy's best by far.

24 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2010)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Wode by Boudicca

This was love at first sniff. And the love has not faded. Scored a can in Germany after reading about the 'vanishing blue paint'. It is currently the crown jewel of my collection...and that is saying a lot. I'll tell you why.
    When showing a sizeable collection to your friends and whomever else, it is nice to be able to demonstrate the deep blue paint that magically disappears. Oh and it smells wonderful. Dry, very very dry sweet cement. Very simple and linear. Unisex? Not sure, but don't care. I love it.
    If you can find it, buy it. Even if you don't like the scent, the blue paint is awesome.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This has quite a sweet opening, due to the honey. There are also floral notes of some kind here. The scent is rich and opulent. There are only hints of a generic sort of tea. In my opinion, lapsang-souchong should lend a really formidable and distinctive smoky note. At times, a light smoke and wood note appears. The wood seems like pencil shavings so must be cedar. I think the smoke and wood should be increased, and the honey decreased. Then you’d have something interesting. This is rather bland.

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

Well, this does have amber in its name and is an oriental in design. Although those things usually have little appeal to me, I do find this to be an interesting scent. It starts off very ambery and rich, with plummy and buttery notes. It is very sweet. The sweetness abates somewhat, and interesting incense and leather notes appear. The scent takes on a brown hue in my mind. The leather note is intriguing – I’d say that people who like leather scents should check this out. Suddenly the sweetness appears, in a new guise: cocoa! I get the definite note of chocolate (blended with vanilla and cinnamon) here. Not my style, but an interesting experience.

L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque

This is pretty good stuff. Anything that puts wood, spice and incense into a dry package has pretty much got my interest, and this one does that. There are good citrus notes at the start: the orange and grapefruit are realistic and distinct. The scent takes on a clean, bright character with hints of incense, wood, and a spice melange. The scent is subtle and enjoyable. At times a restrained and dignified rose note appears, and that is very well done. The scent is quietly compelling, dry, and translucent.

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

This reminds me more of furniture polish than actual leather. I find the raspberry note buried in here to be interesting, but this feels too chemical for me to recommend.

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

While I like many aoud scents in the Montale line, I find this one to be repulsive. It smells plasticky/rubbery to me. I also get a pickling spice vibe to it. It sickens me and I can't imagine enjoying this on anyone.

cheadle's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

1881 Intense by Cerruti

I love1881 even though I felt it did not project very much, but came to appreciate that it was much more effective that way; silent and assured.

Now its offspring '1881 intense' is a totally different story, even with a few sprays the projection is instantaneous it retains some of the character of 1881 but amplified big time (hold it, I said Some not ALL of its character this IS A DIFFERENT fragrance). Its not 1881 on streroids but an authoritative gentleman's scent. That means even if you never tried 1881 but you love classic fragrances for men then you will not be disappointed with this, it is a updated interpretation of the UNMISTAKEABLY MASCULINE fragrance it does not pretend.

Oldspice's avatar

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

A weird hybrid of Paco Rabanne XS base with a big dollop of sweet, oatmeal raisin cookie gourmand on top. Not a fan.

Light projection. Can't comment on longevity.

nephandi's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I have to say I've been on the fence with this scent since I've first tried it. Part of me loves it the other part dislikes it. I'm usually biased as I'm not a fan of floral scents although I am going to give this a thumbs up. I really enjoy the violet scent and it has such great sillage.

nephandi's avatar

Séxual Fresh pour Homme by Michel Germain

I always hate walking through and seeing that REP who tries to hustle a frag on you. This time around it was for sexual fresh for men and I avoid fresh scents almost religiously. I found it had such an amazingly real scent of grapefruit and citrus I was tempted to buy it but decided I've a few fresh scent already @ home.
    I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a good citrus scent with a vivid grapefruit accord.

mamcnyc's avatar

JHL by Aramis

One of my all time favorites. A masculine cross between Youth Dew and Cinnabar (2 of the best fragrances ever!). First purchased it in the 80's and have loved it ever since. I personally enjoy unique and distinctive scents. It's opening of cinnamon and patchouli can be quite powerful, but the dry down is soft, warm and almost powdery. As someone, mentioned, it must be applied in moderation. Not a NYC summer scent.

mamcnyc's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

First, let me say that this is not a scent for everyone. Its either a love it or hate it. I absolutely love it. A woody floral incense. Unique among scents. One day when I was wearing it and getting my hair cut, the stylist commented that the fragrance I was wearing had a 'paper' scent. I don't quite get that, but of all the fragrances that I have ever worn, Timbuktu has the most wonderful lingering effect. I know it sounds odd, but If it remains on a sweater, it never turns old or dirty, just warm and inviting.

w3pearl's avatar

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

Wow! A big, loud floral. Amazingly good for this price.

To my nose, the dominating note is english marigold. Tou must love marigold to like this. And english marigold smell is thick, sticky, even a bit...reisinous. It's like a big garden with lots of flowers, and a loooot of english marigolds all over among them, like a carpet.

Makes me think of the song "Guantanamera". A mariachi, latino woman singing it, and wearing this perfume.

Smells good, but just don't overapply, it can really get choking. So careful.

...

Yo soy un hombre sincero
    De donde crecen las palmas
    Yo soy un hombre sincero
    De donde crecen las palmas
    Y antes de morirme quiero
    Echar mis versos del alma

Guantanamera

etc.

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I haven't tried Creed's Erolfa, about which I hear lots of good things and amongst all the aquatics I have tried to date, Kenzo PH is untouchable. It is an excellent blend with the sum much greater than its parts. It reminds me of japanese sumi-e paintings. It can be appreciated by people on different levels. It's strong, bold and it follows a clear objective. Layers of tones work towards a perfect combination.

The nature of the scent doesn't change directions that much but rather it comes and goes in actual waves, all slightly different from each other. The glass bottle pictured here is very elegant and fits perfectly to the scent. Probably the only aquatic that works very well on mature guys on a winter night. A great and underrated classic.

JeanieE's avatar

Gucci Flora by Gucci

Reading all the negatives here...and, actually, I KINDA agree until about 2-3 hours later: POOF! it became NICE! I got into my husband's car and he said,
    "Umm what are you wearing?" I had forgotten it, probably subconsciously wanting to forget it since I wasn't that impressed earlier in the morning. But then I put my wrist up to my nose and lo and behold Gucci Flora had found a friend in me. I know, I know, all above say it has no dry-down. But on me there evolved a soft, delicate, mildly sweet, mildly powdery, mildly fresh and clean musk, even sexy, a very nice "skin-scent" type of fragrance. Hm. who woulda guessed? Skin chemistry is truly fascinating stuff.

suzi2qs's avatar

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

As patchouli is a favorite note of mine, I am not surprised to be in love with this fragrance. Montale continues to impress me with the quality and longivity of its frangrances. This is a dry, earthy, even tempered rendition of patchouli. Upon first application it seems extremely bracing, like my alarm clock in the morning before work. The patchouli is most evident, after a bit, woody notes come in and soften the sharp edge. This scent stays true to patch/wood notes on me, it does not turn sweet. I cannot detect the amber, vanilla or musk, but that isn't a bother, I love this scent from start to finish, and believe me, it takes a long while to finish. The longivity is nothing short of epic, but most of Montale's offerings fit this bill. I don't find this quite as resinous as Borneo 1834, I can see the comparisons, but the two are quite different. All in all, I can see this as a "must try" for fans of patchouli.

kodafume's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Piss poor silage, lemon zesty opening, no longevity, no thank you.

JDBIII's avatar

Trussardi by Trussardi

I'm a fan of this scent as well, but having sniffed it first in 1984, it is apparent that it has been reformulated. The ancient juice was much ruder and more animalic, much more leather. I loved the old stuff, but this new version is much easier to wear. I would now describe it as a classy dry chypre, emphasis on dry. It is gloriously fresh with florals that burn off fairly quickly and is easily a unisex fragrance. Incredible value for the price.

signature's avatar

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

Romance Silver Men sort of gets you to the same place that say a Millesime Imperial does(it doesn't smell much like MI), but with out any of the parts that make Imperial good. It also doesn't have any of the parts that make a fragrance bad. It is the ultimate sideways thumb fragrance. Being extremely light, airy, and citrusy with something that smells like a hint of Allure Homme Sport makes Romance Silver Men the fragrance for people that are there. There doing what you might say? Making tomorrow happen today? Having fun? Engaging in the finest luxuries life can offer? No, just people that are there, milling about, smelling slightly cirtispicy.

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

To me, this screams barbershop: it brings back the memory of the powdery, clean smell I would have after a haircut. I enjoy the experience and the smell. I probably won’t buy it for myself, as I would probably only reach for it 2-3 times a year. But I think it is an excellent fragrance.