Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

scentsitivity's avatar

Fiore d'Ambra by Profumum

I tend to like amber scents and this is no exception. It opens with a potent amber, with spice notes and just a trace of floral. It dries down to a vanillic amber, very full and satisfying. I like it quite a bit. My only question is whether there are equally satisfying options at lower prices.

Oldspice's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Awesome! Opens with a big blast of lavender. A smooth, mellow, sweet rose scent. The woods in the base are slightly earthy and reminiscent of dried leaves in fall. A romantic wear, nighttime fragrance. Potency/sillage are on the weaker side but longevity is good.

I'm a late-comer to this one and am surprised it's being discontinued.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

American girls get Love's Baby Soft, French girls get Anais Anais. Life is unfair.

I am well past the age of its intended demographic, but I can apply this soft floral and feel a bit younger. It's really lovely.

Chaos by Donna Karan

It's deep and spicy and sweet and woody and I do enjoy the scent. As for the feel of it... it's rather confident and take-charge. I get an idea of a powerful '80s woman with shoulder pads. Sillage is actually rather gentle but not understated-- it's not in-your-face but it's there. Not for everyday office wear I think, but for a time when you need a little 'oomph' and feel brazen-- not Tabac Blond brazen, but "Excuse me, I can buy my own drinks" brazen.

(This review is for the new formulation)

Eau de Campagne by Sisley

This is a bit like wearing a salad, but I love it. The scent is like summer in a bottle-- tomato leaf and basil and lemon and grass and a bit of mossy muskiness, extremely refreshing. Like going into a herb garden and grabbing everything and mashing it all up. When I first apply it, I inevitably get the sense "Wow, this stuff is so sharp and strong and I'm going to have a headache" but after 30 minutes it's mellowed pleasantly. Not a lot of staying power, not a lot of sillage, but my goodness it smells nice.

SirSlarty's avatar

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

This is disappointing. Starts of nice, peppery, woods, a little clean thing with a different take on aquatics. It, however, does not last long at all. The only thing lingering on the skin, and quite close to the skin, is a slightly woodsy musk with a dulling, buzzing background of juniper berry. I wanted to keep an open mind about these but No. 6 here isn't that good.

SirSlarty's avatar

Passenger pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

A sharp citrusy and violet leaf burst. Almost medicinal. Don't worry, it cools off after the opening. Passenger becomes more of a background hum of a woodsy note coupled with more violet leaf as well as some green leafy herbs and a touch of ginger. Very energetic and nice for an office setting. Sillage and longevity are average.

Swanky's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

This one fooled me. At first, smelling it on a paper strip, it seemed much like Deauville. Recently I wore Arpege and Deauville on consecutive days, and they are quite different in the top and middle. Others have mentioned Givenchy's Pi as well as Habit Rouge and those are more in line with this one. I also think of Jaipur Pour Homme. Arpege is a vanilla-centered frag once it has passed the initial citrus/floral stage. For the price it is certainly a bargain, lasting well past 8 hours. If you don't like vanilla scents, though, this one may be a troublemaker.

Attrape Coeur / Guet-Apens / Royal Extract by Guerlain

Very Guerlain-esque. At first I get heliotrope ,violet and and then it comes almost a dead ringer for modern day Mitsouko extrait. It lets go of Mitsouko a little, after a while and there is a sweetish note, vanilla .Not quite gourmand ,somewhat spice-y. Still seemingly much like Mitsouko. Classic.

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

Surprised with this one. Not quite classic Guerlain to me but it's a compellnig scent. Resinous incense,not too strong ,sweet, a little smoke too. Otherworldly and woody ,some floral notes in this which keeps it lighter perhaps - you just want to keep on sniffing. This is a strong rich beautiful fragrance. Completely yummy . Unisex.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

At last a vanilla that is still interesting after 5 minutes ! Boozy, delicious ,uncommon vanilla ,hints of cherry spice. Simple ,clasic ,elegant vanilla ,resinous ,rich and decadent.

Jardenia by JAR

Swoon and double swoon. Creamy rounded gardenia. Not at all like Velvet gardenia to me. Simliar to Ajne Fleur Blanche but brighter . Gorgeous with a capital G. Now to rake up the capital to buy it !

Golconda by JAR

If you love Caron's Poivre- you will love the spicey Golconda. It's a most beautiful rare carnation fragrance. Quality all the way .Speechless !

nonnative's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

Weeks ago I smelled an extremely expensive parfum (amuage dia) and it reminded me so much of n. 5 chanel. Then I went again to smell what was remaining of my bottle of n. 5 and I realized how good, feminine, clear and deep at the same time this classic is ... And in the past I dismissed it because too many women used it! how wrong I was!

mrcologneguy's avatar

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

Highly recommended. I get lots of compliments on this one - more than the EdT and Intense versions even. As others have noted, it's close to the EdT, but a bit more citrus and fresh. It's very, very good stuff. The relatively short longevity (I get about an hour of decent top and middle notes) is both its charm and curse. You will be compelled to re-apply, guaranteed. If you're a fan of layering, it makes a good first course - skip the EdT and dive straight into Intense for your second layer. So rich and inviting for an EdC. It's among my most-recommended fragrances.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Roadster by Cartier

Have you ever been in a roadster before? With the top down, feeling the bracing wind on your skin as the car shifts into gear and speeds off down the highway with a throaty growl? No? Well, neither have I. This is where ROADSTER comes in.

ROADSTER offers you the fragrance equivalent to such an exhilarating experience, with a well judged use of the mint note to give an icy lift to what might have been another fresh citrus-woody sport scent. To further distance itself from the crowd there is also a hint of bitterness to the green profile of the heart notes, making it a more mature fragrance for the distinguished gentleman.

While I'm not particularly impressed with the destinated drydown (I don't really smell any labdanum), the journey itself was one smooth and fun ride! With a cool looking bottle to boot! And If you like Mugler Cologne, chances are you will enjoy this too.

Dorian Gray's avatar

L'Autre by Diptyque

Declaration squared to the power of 10. I have Declaration on one arm and L'Autre on the other and the cumin note is quite similar but Dec is more muted while L'Autre is clearer, sharper and IMO fresher despite the many armpit comparisons. A great take on the scent of an Indian bazaar (bizarre) which I love the smell of, with no cloying or heavy notes to bog it down.

MOONB's avatar

Castile by Penhaligon's

As much as I'd like to give Castile a positive review, I just can't get past its vivid impression of truck-stop restroom soap. Nice bottle, though.

BayKAT's avatar

Voeu de Noël by Caron

This is listed as discontinued, but I paid $20 for a .25 mL sample (ouch!)
    Am I sorry it was put out of production? Not really. The opening and first three hours wear like N'aimez que moi on me, i.e.: a deep, rich rose accord on a sumptuous chypre base.

Now that I am in the four hour stretch this is getting sweet. I don't have the notes to reference, but I suspect jasmine is too blame here. I'm used to Caron's mellowing out and hitting that 'chord' which is unique to them, but this more floral-sweet, with the slightest ksis of spice.

If this was still in production I probably wouldn't chase after it, but I know who would. Anyone who is tired of the limp, sipid florals that are offered today and yearns for something with more elegance. Also any rose/jasmine fans. Should you spend the money to try this? YES! Even though it's not a must-have for me, the quality is unequaled in today's perfumery.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Kanøn by Kanon

Smells like a poopy diaper drenched in baby powder. Old and outdated and a little bit like Zino. Pass!

25 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2010)

SirScent's avatar

Paradox for Men Green by Jacomo

I'm puzzled there aren't more reviews of this wonderful Gem. (Perhaps because it is so inexpensive?) "Tsk Tsk I say" to the $100.plus per bottle snobs).
    A fruity and fresh opening with a lime twist. Longevity may be an issue as mentioned in other reviews but it's such a reasonable purchase you'll want to apply often.
    The plexiglass box is a bit unusual and the bottle design is fun.
    Paradox Green was a blind purchase for me but what a wonderful find!
    It also has some similar notes of Pino Silvestre Extreme (one of my favorites) which made this a very nice surprise indeed. I like it very much!

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Wow! Now, this is boring!

Don't waste your money on it! There are thousands of great colognes out there. This here is boredom in a bottle.

First we've got an uninteresting soap, then some uninteresting herbs and at the end - quite nice, but vague and very faint woods.

No lasting power, unless you count that almost absent base.

Brit for Men by Burberry

This one's mainly a powdery rose that's hard to not like, but... much harder is to kick anybody's ass while wearing it, and that's a big con. ;-)

It's a pleasant scent, but it'll make you feel so polite, that you gotta be careful where you wear it - court or the IRS are a no-no. ;-)

Good longevity and projection.

6.5/10

dasunder's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

This does have it's similarities to A Men, but they are not identical. Neither are for me, but they are not bad scents. If you like A men, you might like this and it is only a fraction of the price.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

When I sprayed it on my wrist I felt as if a terribly sweaty lumberjack banged me on the head with a 50-pound sack of cheap ground black pepper, what - instead of white light - made me see a tiny little orange at the end of the tunnel. That's what this cologne really is to me!

Comparisons to vinaigrette-type salad dressing aren't out of place either.

I can understand that some might like that sort of rough experiences, but I definitely don't. I really tried, but failed. It made me feel pissed off every time I was wearing it. Very annoying scent. I'm glad I got rid off my bottle.

If you, however, are tough enough to take it, you're rewarded with excellent lasting power and decent projection.

25 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2010)

SirScent's avatar

Unbound for Men by Halston

I revisit Unbound every so often all throughout the year. This is such an incredible buy for the money I just had to remark again. I just hope others will give it a chance.
    I realize longevity is an issiue on some, but I think that Unbound can stand toe to toe with the high priced Light Blue and Acqua Di Gio.

This is a revised comment regarding my previous review of Unbound compared to Aqua Di Gio. The Aqua Di Gio I had and tested was 'skunked' and now I have a fresh bottle and understand why it is so well received. I like both fragrances but have found the Aqua Di Gio more powerful than Unbound and Aqua Di Gio has better longevity. Still, Unbound is an incredible bargain and a fresh fragrance for warmer weather.

25 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2011)

Lavender by Woods of Windsor

Now this is the lavender soliflore that I was looking for (you failed me, l'Occitane). Good, herbal, bracing lavender, makes me feel a teensy bit mannish but I don't mind. Wish it lasted longer.

Edited to add something interesting: When I wear this, people say they smell... oatmeal cookies. I don't even know.

25 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2012)

Rush by Gucci

I don't care what Luca Turin says, this smells like the bottle: red, plastic candy. I give it one star for how utterly bizarre it is. I'd sooner eat wax lips.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Tom Ford and I are the same age. He had a crush on his uncle who smelled like this too. Yes, he wore gold chains and platforms, but he had style and a handshake that made your knuckles pop,

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Linear, but don't dismiss this soft treasure you've found in the back of your cedar chest amongst yellowed linens--a perfumed fist of wooly yarn.