Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Cedarmoth's avatar
    Cedarmoth

L'Eau de L'Eau by Diptyque

Transcendent citrus and spice. A brighter version of L'eau, it's conjures Christmas morning, after you've opened the present you really, really wanted from a lover who wants to go back to bed.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

THe parallel to Dunhill Desire and Desire Blue are right on. Synthetic? sure, but good, especially sine it can be had for not much money. Sweet and very clean. does well with a dree casual look in the summer time.

bokaba's avatar
    bokaba

Zagara by Santa Maria Novella

Zagara is from what I expected given its former reviews. SMN purports itself to make classic and traditional fragrances. Some of them such as SMN's signature scent supposedly made for Catherine di Medici is a good quality cologne in the traditional scent. Zagara opens with a blast of orange blossom and neroli that quickly turns synthetic and far too indolic for my tastes. Far too fresh and far too much of a designer fragrance to be considered a classic. CS Neroli and even Jo Malone Orange Blossom are much better choices.

LouLou by Cacharel

I'm a guy and frequently wear this. No one bats an eyelid.

It's great. A favourite of mine.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Love this.

A permanent favourite of mine.
    Along similar lines to AdG but better.
    Lovely canopy of creamy and metallic greens, soft but strong. A perfect spring and summer scent.

Always in my top 5.

Getting harder to find in the UK. Department stores have passed it over in favour of the dreary Calvin Man, Euphoria and now the terrible Free.

Canali Style by Canali

Unpleasant fragrance.
    Smells like Pledge original furniture polish.

nightcutter

Joop! Thrill Men by Joop!

Not an amazing scent but I do like it.
    Reminds me of cherries, vanilla, almonds and sandal wood.
    It stays close to the skin. It's not powerful.
    It's a cool weather fall/autumn fragrance. Where this in warm months and you won't notice a thing.

Joop!'s best fragrance IMO is still What About Adam, unfortunately discontinued a long time ago. I liked Rococo men too but that has gone as well.

Joop!, get rid of Go! and bring back Adam please!

Inverse - Kylie Minogue for Men by Kylie Minogue

Potentially nice scent ruined by zero longevity.

Can't say I notice the smell of condensed milk which it is claimed to have but there is a certain smoothness - maybe even creaminess to it.
    Smells herbal, and menthol-like, reminds me of some sort of sore throat syrup. I think there is quite lot of clove in this.
    As I said it could be good but there is no point in owning a bottle as it has one of the shortest shelf lives of any scent I've encountered.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

Short lived, boring, sweet tuberose and vanillaic liquid substance sold for $50+ or so a bottle. Doesn't work at all for me.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This review is for the EDT and the EDP. I agree with most of the other reviews that the EDT is sparkling and citrus-y, especially in the opening and like Jean Patou Fan said, there is a similarity in the beginning to Chanel No. 19. However, I can't add much more to that, as the EDT fades on me very quickly and seems to not move beyond the opening and early middle stages.

I hate to say it, but I think the EDP is an awful mish-mash of notes that for me, never seem to come together. In a few other reviews that I have read, it was said that the EDP almost literally made the wearer gag and I can say that I had the same experience. In the opening there is something similar to the new formulation of Habit Rouge that made me have the same reaction. Interestingly, I don't hve that reaction to the vintage version of Habit rouge.

Anyway, I said all of that to say that you should trust the reviewers that swear by the EDT over the EDP, because they're right, these are two different scents and the EDT is better. Just wish it lasted longer and had better sillage.

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Green and wet, is that possible? Yes it is. I can't tell if I've ever encountered something of this kind. Unique and interesting, zesty. Longevity is very good and it doesn't lack projection. I won't say this one is a must have, but I just might add it to my collection. All in all, very good fragrance.

xiikzodz's avatar
    xiikzodz

Aoud Velvet by Montale

Appart from fruity-gourmand notes at the opening there is an intriguing phenolic/plastic and a very dark indeed accent in it. Then the fragrance becomes a thorough study of sandalwood/oud combination. This is done by means of resonance. The vanila amplifies the milky notes and the white flowers serve the same for the floral character of the oud. Very cleverly made.

dreamer81's avatar
    dreamer81
    Slovakia Slovakia

Dunhill by Dunhill

This is in my top 10 worst fragrances. I liked it on first few tries because it was new, and I admit that some people may like it but it is everything else but me. Very hard to describe. I smell something sweet here (almost like chocolate) but also very synthetic chemical note that I hate which makes me sneeze. Its suitable for some 40+ aristocratic guy in formal dressing, but thats it. I dont get anything fresh or natural from it. Definitely NOT SAFE BLIND BUY. Hard to wash off too.

lauraschoice's avatar
    lauraschoice

Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming by Tommy Hilfiger

I like this warm, spicy floral a lot but the sillage is so weak it's mostly gone by lunchtime! Give it a try but carry the bottle in your purse for touch-ups.

khrystyna's avatar
    khrystyna

Versace Versense by Versace

For me this is some strange mix between Armand Bassi's In Red and Un Jarden sur le Nile by Hermes (both of which I love). The opening is very nice and fresh, but midle notes (lily?) are quite annoying for my nose... A liitle bit too feminine maybe? In any case, smells cheaper and less interesting than the two other perfumes it reminds me of.

Force of One's avatar
    Force of One

Pi by Givenchy

To me this smells like a cheaper knock-off version of Le Male. A VERY synthetic almost vanilla-like scent that literally made me queasy.

I know it's fairly popular and the ladies supposedly like it, but I would never buy it nor wear it.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

My favourite scent.

Plus Plus may be an in-your-face cacophony of synthetic vanilla, elderflower and a sweet creamy sandalwood but I love it. I think I might detect a bit of almond, lemon and musk in it too.

It resembles Desire (Red) by Dunhill. But Dunhill Desire Blue is almost identical to Plus Plus. Nikos Sculpture is similar as well as is the limited edition Lacoste Cool Play.

It's the noisy, teenage brother to the more mature and refined Boss Bottled.

Lasts a long time. People always tell me how nice it smells.

Love the milk churn-type bottle (or is it a bottle of pills?).

So sad it's been discontinued.

26 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2011)

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali

Wonderful 80's power house fragrance! At first it briefly reminded me of Opium by YSL. I would say that gives a fair impression of the type of scent this is. Powerful, warm aldehydic floral. It comes as one of the few Parfum De Toillettes in 100, 50 and 30mls and just a 30ml of the EDT. Can be found very cheaply online and I have to say it's not received the acclaim it deserves.

To be honest foetidus' review describes it perfectly!

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Rubylips by Salvador Dali

I must say I really don't get this very sweet smell others describe. I get a close to the skin fruity/musk which could easily be unisex. Has a sharp(ish)/sweet(ish) fruity tang that appears to last all the way through. Very understated fragrance and a new favourite of mine!

pippedydee's avatar
    pippedydee

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's

I just adore this, to me it's hothouse flowers and Chai tea on a steamy afternoon. I can just picture myself there!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

Wow, this is good stuff. I fell in love with the original He Wood though it was obviuosly synthetic. The same feeling here with RMW: clearly synthetic, but outstanding nonetheless. Longevity and projection are just right, not too loud and not too soft. There is a manly vibe to RMW as it dries down, smells like musk but it is veiver and cedar and perhaps a bit of sandalwood. Moreover, the initial blast is clean and woody, yet there is a manly trick hanging out in the background. I find this somewhat similar to Givenchy's Play intense, must be a similar not in there somewhere. But where Givenchy is hard to love initially, RMW is instant love. I like this a lot and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.

Scentologist's avatar
    Scentologist

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Voyage d'Hermes is simliar in motif as Eau de Cartier. VDH has that clear, translucent citrus opening that is fresh but to my nose, slightly feminine. Whereas EDC has the cedar in the dry down, VDH has a pepper accord coupled with woods and musk. This is definately an exhilarating fragrance and better quality than EDC. Longevity is an issue. It has monster sillage right out of the gates but almost instantly fades into a skin scent that is barely noticeable within minutes. The JCE minimalist structure is ever present in this composition. I would love to own it but leans towards the fem side a bit much for my liking. In essence, it reminds me of a stripped down version of TDH; a version that the ladies can wear. I will need to test this more for a definitive decision. I award this a thumbs up for it quality, creativity, and overall pleasant smell. However, longevity and the sweet top notes have me concerned.

koki2's avatar
    koki2

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I so much wanted to love this perfume but sadly my experience is almost exactly like BayKAT's. I too grew up in the northern Midwest, had lilacs in our yard, and on me this doesn't smell at all like they did. And while it's nice enough, I unfortunately don't like it enough to wear it on its own anyway. So disappointed!

Buddy97's avatar
    Buddy97
    Ireland Ireland

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

I purchased this scent with expectations of a pine-loaded fragrance, but where is the pine?? I get very green, herbal and conifer-loaded notes from start to finish, but cannot detect any pine. It nonetheless is a very fine fragrance, fresh, foresty, with excellents longevity, in terms of value for money, ranking highly. I just wish there was stronger pine!!!

JonB's avatar
    JonB

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Totally forgettable. Very disappointing for something like this to come from Lutens. I am sure there will be fans, but for the life of me, I find no personality here.

suburbanites's avatar
    suburbanites

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

It's clear that Tabarome Millesime aspires to be a fresher variant of the more "Vintage" Tabarome, and it's a nice if neutral daily wearer that has just enough masculinity. It's not overpowering, the dry-down definitely alludes to the tobacco base, though I find that if the goal was to inspire a tobacco aromatic in the scent, they've come up slightly short. Mind you that this is not at all a bad fragrance, and I still enjoy it on certain occasions, but there are some drawbacks to the formulation: Initial application is rather flowery and lacks a single character. Eventual dry-down yields more to the tobacco and green tea elements from the Bergamot/Ginger top notes, though I find it a bit weak and not long-lasting. Six hours is about all the longevity you should expect.

If you want a tobacco inspired fragrance, this comes about as close as you'll get short of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille (which inspires more tobacco, but also a bit much vanilla). It's not the most creative entry from Creed's line, but worthy of a sampling.

suburbanites's avatar
    suburbanites

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

This was my introduction to the Tom Ford Private Collection, and it's still my favorite thus far. The notes in the fragrance are more enduring than some other posters seem to have experienced, even though it's an EDP versus a pure perfume. It does transform on the skin and tends to become a bit more leathery/suede within the first 30 minutes, along with the accompanying notes. It exudes the air of a gentlemen's library, with leather chairs, pipe smoke and reminders of a gentle atmosphere of "regality".

Another poster had made mention of Clive Christian's "C", and oddly enough, I agree though I found TL first, and an associate at Neiman's introduced me to "C", which I found to be nearly a perfect copy of TL with a bit more deepness in the berry notes, and perhaps slightly more stickiness (in a good way). While I was impressed with "C", I'm not one who needs a full perfume (a good EDP is just fine for longevity on me), and I could not justify the price point on the Clive Christian "C" (perhaps "C" stands for "copy"?). For another $90 USD I would be into a full flacon of TL, and that's exactly what I did (my Neiman's rep was nice enough to hook me up with an atomizer set).

This is a fragrance that exudes depth and character for me, and not simply a common 'top-note wonder' as I find most current scents to be. It's not for everyone, but it's a fantastic investment. If you believe my wife, it's downright classy and masculine.

27 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2010)

Spray's avatar
    Spray
    Dominican Republic Dominican Republic

Chrome by Azzaro

Chrome smells much better to women than a lot of my expensive fragrances. It is an incredible reality check.

HammerFist's avatar
    HammerFist

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A sweet, creamy smelling lemon fragrance that is fabulous. I'm giving it a 3 stars out of 5, because it won't last for more than an hour on my skin. If it had better longevity, I'd really buy it.

As another poster said, if you have oily skin that retains weaker fragrances for a long time, please give this one a try. It's an excellent "gentlemanly" fragrance.

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

I only got a big blast of alcohol on the first spray at the Jo Malone counter...very dissapointed...