Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Ultimate Fig by Arran Aromatics

Fantastic long lasting sweet fig notes...

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

I bought a small sampler pack which included Passion, Red Door, Sung, and Design (all from the 80s). After trying the other 3 and being relatively disappointed with their 'big 80s' smell, I finally tried Passion, and surprisingly really liked it. It has a rich velvety texture and reminds me of cinnamon. It seems like a nice winter fragrance for going out to a luxurious restaurant, or for staying in a cozying up under a warm blanket.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

I have had a small amount of Pleasures sitting around and had tried it once or twice without thinking much of it. Then one day early this spring it was raining really hard outside and I found that the scent just fit perfectly. Now it is literally my 'save it for a rainy day' perfume, and I think of rain every time I open the bottle.
    Most of the reviews focus on the lily and peony notes, but I think it is the light rose notes that really balance it.

Incanto Bliss by Salvatore Ferragamo

I tried this at a display that included Incanto Dream and Incanto Charm, and Incanto Bliss. After trying them all on paper, Bliss immediately stood out far above the other two. I loved it's early citrus and watery dry down. It made me think of sitting by a cool refreshing creek in the summer, while the others just smelled 'like perfume'. Bliss is a cooling fragrance perfect for a hot day.

On my skin, it reminds me of Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue, which also has a citrus and apple top, rose middle, and musk base. However, on me Light Blue has a much deeper muskier base than Incanto Bliss, which maintains it's lightness throughout.

Wyllowdaemon's avatar

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

I was looking for something oriental without being out of the park dark and rich. I mean I love my Opium but I cannot wear something so "temple mystic in Morocco" all the time, I needed a break that wasn't a floral (I just purchased Rose Essentielle for that purpose and I have Stella as well). I had tried Alien a few weeks ago and a part of me loved it but....I was not sure it was me, there was a brightness or sharpness to it that made me question a commitment some people have described it as a strange "windex" smell. Code is the answer to my Alien problem. When the SA sprayed this on a card for me my mind went immediately "this is Alien light!" it has such a strong similarity I was wondering she had sprayed the wrong bottle on the card but as it dried I noticed no strange sharpness!!! Code has a very similar jasmine and vanilla kick on my skin that is very appealing without the sharp "solar" accord in Alien that made me worried. I like this very much and may commit to Alien at some point after wearing Code for awhile. I would be very interested in seeing what someone who owns both thinks of the two.

Marshmellow's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I tried this fragrance at the shop and I am going to buy it! I am very impressed!

Many people have mentioned that Black XS smells like synthetic strawberries, that is definitely true, but I don't think we should downplay synthetic strawberry scents as something which is bad. Rather, the synthetic strawberries really serve to being out the essence of this fragrance if done well. I think Paco Rabanne's Black XS has done well with this.

Imagine strawberry pie with an added hint of cinnamon, it smells EXACTLY like that, I wouldn't say it smells feminine. Yes it smells like strawberries but the "Shortbread pie" note (The one you smell when you smell the pastry of a fruit tart) blends evenly with it, making for a nice delicious smell. The cinnamon and this pastry note brings out to me something fun and confident, something very masculine, although I can see a female wearing this fragrance, I think it'll be safe to put it as a Unisex fragrance.

I think it is suitable for wearing on a cold day.

Overall I'll definitely consider the purchase, I am very impressed by this fragrance. Unique, fun, confident, and definitely delicious smelling!

t42v's avatar

Axe Fever / Lynx Fever by Axe / Lynx

for only £2 you are getting a great summer scent. Big orange smells that does not overpower and unlike other lynx products does not smell like a locker room a great buy at the price.

redrose's avatar

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

A lovely rose that reminds me of Paris, before Paris was reformulated. Has that complexity of florals with dominant notes of rose and violet that Paris used to have. I love it and want it!

johnm's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

When I first started looking into colognes, I wrote out a list of what to find. It was mostly naive essences like sawdust, but one idea grabbed my heart: I wanted to find this syrupy, dark exotic fruit, with herbs that sparkled up as if through deep water, while the syrup dripped down into leathery spice.

I want John Varvatos to be that cologne. Sometimes I tell myself it is. But it's never quite there — a little too friendly, a little too fresh — not a murky purple pierced by gold and sprouted leaves; instead, just a wash of smoky violet. It'd be a lie to call it a bad cologne. You'll like it. But I can't see myself wearing it anywhere but a bar downtown, and I keep wishing it had been made for a lounge on the other side of the earth.

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This perfume was my FIRST foray out of the commercial (Chanel, Dior, etc) perfume world and into the more niche perfumes.

All along, I was under the impression that perfumes were either woody and dowdy (as most commercial labels' older perfumes had presented themselves) or sweet and sparkling (as most of the newer commercial perfumes had presented themselves). Ananas Fizz, as a fruit perfume, really surprised me in that it was not cloying or 'typical' of the new-age mans perfume. I was completely smitten. It was fresh and had a distinct pineapple note WITHOUT smelling artificial or 'plastic' like so many fruity fragrances do. It also smells nice and boozy which I love.

Anyway, i bought a 100ml bottle and have since finished using it, and I loved it every time i wore it. Not exactly something to wear to a dinner, but still a relatively easy scent to wear. My only beef with this perfume is that the sillage is like the memory span of a goldfish and i HATE having to reapply because it looks silly spraying on perfume in public.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Okay, so this is my first review hope you guys don't think it's trash!

When i first tried carnal flower, it was in one of those large red cylinders in MeccaCosmetica in Melbourne. I was there visiting my sister and it was my LAST DAY but i made sure i had the time to go out of my way to try some of these famous Editions De Parfums fragrances. Out of the few that i tried on paper, i was only really interested in taking a further step with Carnal Flower, L'eau D'hiver and Musc Ravageur so i had the SA place the scents into the ventilation cylinder. Didn't enjoy the musc as much the second time, but i got 50ml bottles of the other two (THEY ARE HORRIBLY EXPENSIVE).

Carnal flower, I found, was the most impressive between the two. It starts crisp, but also very soft and very green. It then unfolds itself, like a woman unbuttoning her shirt and removing her glasses and letting her hair down to reveal a very fleshy tuberose. It isn't extremely heady (other tuberose scents i wear always get the same reaction : "It's really nice but it's so strong!!!")-which i like- but i can ALWAYS get a whiff of it on my skin. It smells so decadent and every so slightly vicious (but in a good way).

However, it is, firstly (and as noted previous), HORRIBLY EXPENSIVE. A 50ml bottle was about 426SGD, which is about TWICE the price of a 100ml bottle of perfume from Goutal or L'artisan or TDC. Also, I find that, especially on a man, the perfume's wearability is subjective to your occasion, what you wear, your demeanor, etc etc etc and is thus not something that is very easily wearable. The perfume is DEFINITELY female, but in the same way french objects are either labelled feminine or masculine, rather than in that the perfume is for females (I find sex branding is RUBBISH and i will wear whatever the hell smells nice on me). It takes too much control and without the right confidence it ends up taking over the way Dior Poison does.

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE this perfume to no end (I'm wearing it right now). I just don't think it's it's completely worth it given the price and how it seems so fickle.

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

For the longest time, this perfume intrigued me. Not because it was particularly nice, but because i found it so annoying that i couldn't put my finger on what that smell was. Anyway, my SA at clothing store that stocked this perfume convinced my mother that she should buy this for me ("OH MY GOODNESS it is SO GOOD i've bought 2 bottles for myself and EVERYONE is clamoring for this you MUST buy him a bottle."). Personally, i doubt i would've bought a bottle but hey- I have NO qualms with free perfume.

I spent about a month following the purchase trying to figure out what this strong note i was smelling was. I smelt the fragrant (expensive? hmmmm...) woods but there was still something i couldn't figure out. And then it hit me: carrots. There is this DISTINCT carrot odour/fragrance present within the perfume. I don't care if it's meant to be this wood or that wood because, to me, it smells like carrot. For the price they're charging for this tiny bottle, I don't think that it should -even remotely- smell of some strange frankenstein child of new wood flooring and a garden salad sans dressing. Having said that, i do still find it to be an interesting scent.

I don't dislike it, by any means, but i think it is VERY overpriced.

Bigsly's avatar

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

The Estonian site lists the following notes:

Top: Basil, bergamot, lavender, marjoram, petigrain oil, thyme.
    Mid: Artemisia, carnation, carrot, cedar, cinnamon, jasmine, iris, patchouli, vetiver.
    Base: Amber, castoreum, labdanum, leather, moss, musk.

For me, the lavender/herbal aspect is clear. and you get occasional wafts of leather. I have to try hard to avoid the top notes, which are very strong, so keep that in mind. I don't much wood, moss, or castoreum. It's a little "powdery," so I assume that's the iris. The floral elements are probably too blended to detect more than the lavender. It also seems to have a little amber softening it up, but don't expect much sweetness here. Nor is there much in the way of spice. It does seem to have a little patchouli blended in, but the vetiver must be minimal. If you want a bitter leather, I suggest Francesco Smalto. This one is closer to Oscar Pour Lui or VC&A Pour Homme, but this one is blended better (I've only tried the new VC&A PH and I think that one is clearly inferior to the others). Longevity is quite good but with fair "sillage"/projection at best. One thing that's good is that it never goes into that "soapy lavender" area that so many of these "80s power frags" do. The only criticism I have is that I'd like to smell more of the notes listed clearly, but that's my preference, and I consider it a minor flaw, though of course the perfumer may have been trying to create this kind of smooth fragrance.

27 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 February, 2011)

LiveJazz's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

[Edit: Musc now has its own Directory entry. This used to be a comparative review of the Musc Oil versus the EdT, with the thumbs up for the Musc only.]

Fruity violet leaves morph into a poisonous witch's brew of ghastly bitter greens with unabashedly fake amber and patchouli accents. Unwearable.

27 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2011)

Mat; by Masakï Matsushïma

This is an odd one! I get a strange scent of dill pickle amongst the fruity notes, rather odd but not unpleasant!

I'll give it a thumbs up for originality!

Eau de Rubylips by Salvador Dali

As foetidus mentions, this does smell a lot like Light Blue and also Black XS for men (I'm convinced the perfumer just threw in truffle to Light Blue, same perfumer for both scents!)

Rather unisex really more fruity than floral. Nothing like Ruby Lips at all.

Purplelips by Salvador Dali

This reminds me of Ultraviolet for men! Purple/fruity/musky scent. Soft and slighlty "plump". Very nice but not terribly different.

Fleur de Cabotine by Grès

I agree this is rather unisex! Very bright and uplifting in a different way to a citrus fragrance. Sweet but not sickly, I love it!

Renato's avatar

The Lover by Gap

This scent reminds me of niche type scents. It starts out feminine then turns slightly masculine after about an hour.
    It was too feminine for me, so I gave a bottle to a female friend who was ecstatic with it - says she gets comments whenever she wears it. She notices it turning masculine too.
    Renato

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

I picked this up at Marshall's while I was visiting friends in Cleveland! I was at the counter about to purchase a few items when I took one last look over at the mens fragrances & lord behold there was Set Sail South Seas! I over looked it! I searched thru all of there mens offerings & I bypassed this beauty! Needless to say I jumped out of line to grab it before someone else did! This is great! I get well over 6+ hours of longevity! It does not project far but its nice when someone gets close to you & especially for a hug! Not a huge pyramid here & there is no need for one! Beautifully done by Tommy Bahama! This is the only frag house where I actually enjoy every scent they make for men!

jalderwood's avatar

He Wood by Dsquared2

I am nowhere near as sophisticated in my olfactory vocabulary as the rest of you basenoters, but in the three minutes before the mall closed today I popped into Sephora just for fun. I sniffed several testers, not bothering to spray them, and then there was this kitschy wooden flask that caught my senses. I went ahead and spritzed my wrists. I've been intrigued by this fragrance for the last 6 hours.

I find the faux uber chic bottle to be at odds with the fragrance, which is very simple, almost like an essential oil. Also, the name He Wood is stupid. I don't appreciate these all-in-one fashion-fragrance-shoes-accessories houses purporting to be good at everything they touch. Yet my hair stood up when I read the marketing department's description of this fragrance as the "essence of a modern man who dreams of nature in a quest for freedom and seduction." That pretty much nails what's been on my mind lately.

TWO thumbs up.

Alpona by Caron

A beautiful chypre and lighter than I thought it would be. I get a lot of vetiver on my skin with citrussy notes plus orange blossom . It's bright and unisex. Starts off a little bitter and dry and then turns sweeter. Still the vetiver is pretty strong here. I hear this is now discontinued.

Derby by Guerlain

This is for the re- issue . Very herby bright start. I can't help but be reminded that this is actually for men. Thankkfully the heart becomes much like Sous Le Vent but stronger - lemony and aromatic. The dry down on me is strong vetiver rather than leather. It's an excellent fragrance but still rates a star below Sous Le Vent to me. Longer lasting than Sous Le Vent and good tenacity in general .

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Firstly ,thank you to my friend who gave me this lovely large sample. I am in LOVE with Sarrasins- how amny more can I love ??!
    It opens cool and quiet then bursts open with a jasmine so sweet and pure- it literally sings .It is the best jasmine I have smelt in a long while. It stays jasmine and that is all good ! Better than the Bruno Acampora jasmine which is very 'dirty' and tough. This is refined , sweet jasmine. That purple color is funky good and baroque. Love this.

Gramercy Park by Bond No. 9

Sharp green opening.
    Gives way to coconut-rum, creamy booziness.
    Pleasant, yes.
    Poor longevity, and lacks any true 'hooks' or 'punchlines'.
    Not very impressive.

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

Likeable scent from bond.
    Almost serves as a semi-feminine counterpart to CENTRAL PARK.
    I have used my bonbon samples of this myself, and had no trouble pulling it off.
    My verdict: pleasant, unisex, transparent, and high quality.

Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9

The quality, as in all BOND stuff, is there.
    This is problematic because of the glaringly mismatched notes.
    All beauty is irrelevant (i.e., trampled, crushed, raped), thanks to the overbearing, overwhelming anise accord.
    I would not enjoy smelling this on a woman.

Harrods for Him by Bond No. 9

Paper-thin, lacking severely in complexity.
    Harsh, ugly topnotes give way to cheap smelling barely-there heart notes. No base whatsoever.
    This is probably best kept exactly where it IS: In relative obscurity (unless you shop at Harrods).
    An embarassment, indeed.

pansylady's avatar

Eau du Ciel by Annick Goutal

On me, Eau de Ciel manifests as an orange blossom scent with green, slightly pungent top notes that quickly give way to a soapy sweetness-

This is, by far, one of the more potent Annick Goutal scents- I put on less than half of a ml yesterday afternoon, smelled it all evening, and even picked up hints of it this morning!

Pleasant and appealing, like a walk through a sunny field full of clover and wildflowers!

pansylady's avatar

Miracle by Lancôme

Amber, amber, amber, from top to bottom- and reminds me a great deal of one of the most popular shampoos of the 70s- "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific!" Somehow, it doesn't match the pink color of the fluid at all, to me- it's much more of a golden scent-
    If you love amber or the smell of GYHST you will definitely like this-

Staying power is good- but these notes don't agree with me-