Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Pur Blanca by Avon

This is really cool and refreshing yet only if you don't overdo it. A little goes a long way but if you do overdo it then it can turn sweet and sickly. A good everyday perfume that's simple yet fun.

Touch for Women by Burberry

Think of Burberry and you may think of your typical British 'chav' standing outside a corner shop with a can of Stella in one hand and a pitbulls leash in the other however Burberrys fragrances are devine and Touch is definately one of the best. It's light and fresh and won't give your nan a headache. It's neither overpowering or too sweet it's just perfect for any lady of any age.

Passion Dance by Avon

This is quite heady yet really sexy. It's strong without being overpowering. The body spray smells nothing like the perfume I must add so if you're thinking about trying it then get the perfume and let's face it, it's Avon and it's not going to break the bank. This is a good, warm scent for a winters night out. Saying that I've just worn it to a wedding in Cyprus as it seems to go perfectly with a formal dress. Yet another thumbs up to Avon

Individual Blue for Her by Avon

I really liked this. takemyhusbandplz (nice nickname!) has it spot on with cool, crisp and refreshing. There was quite a sweet undertone to it too but it wasn't in any way sickly. The reason for it being discontinued I think, is because it may be a bit 'boring' to some as it was very light and simple but to me it was a daytime treat

Kate by Kate Moss

I love this perfume and it even got my 'fragrance free' mums nostrils going. I agree with an earlier comment that it doesn't last long enough however it isn't expensive (and doesn't smell cheap may I add) so I carry it in my handbag on a night out and add an extra dose every now and then. Better than smelling of the pub. It's sweet, light and a touch of musk. Probably a good present for a teenager rather than a grandma as it is quite 'girly'

Tahitian Holiday by Avon

Not to everyones taste as it is really sweet but I love it because I love the smell of coconuts and this really does make you think of a sunny, tropical holiday. However someone did ask me if I had used a certain brand of hair mask but it didn't put me off and I get lots of compliments. Very girly

smartscent's avatar
    smartscent

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Very harsh off the start, a bit over-powering and caused me to hold my breath...heavy lemon explosion, combined with a strong herb (weeds?) scent - but, it does calm down quickly, and leaves behind what I can only describe as a cross between lemon-pledge and moss....longevity is poor for such an expensive cologne - I could barely smell it after about 1 hour. Save your money and look elsewhere!

cruzandking's avatar
    cruzandking

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

One of my new summertime favorites. The opening is incredibly green and refreshing. If you've ever snapped the stem on one of grandma's geraniums, you'll recognize the semblance immediately. So interesting and unique, I've begun spraying a bit at the edge of my collar to prolong the fun. I do wish it lasted longer, though.

PaveLL's avatar
    PaveLL
    Romania Romania

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Gourmand, very chocolaty, very warm, very wintery (even though I wear any perfume regardless the season) perfect for a night out when you want to impress with something that screams "classy"

29 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2011)

Poison by Christian Dior

I first smelt poison on a gothic friend of mine which could be one word to sum it up really 'gothic'. I commented on how lovely she smelt and she bought me a bottle however when I first tried it I found it wasn't really me as it was very overpowering. A few hours later however and the strength had died a little and it smelt completely different. Almost floral and with a sweetness that I had never smelt before. I now like it but have learnt not to wear too much. Unfortunately a male collegue of mine knew instantly what perfume I had on and told me it was horrible and that his ex used to wear it. It's a bold perfume for a strong woman.

29 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2012)

redrose's avatar
    redrose

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Brings back memories of rummaging for the perfect anniversary present for a hippie couple! I riffled my way through stacks of old joss sticks, spices, brown rice in sacks, and wall hangings from India and Nepal, but couldn't find anything I thought they'd like. Enjoyed the smell of the shop, though - a now-defunct Eastern themed health and natural foodstore in Bournemouth. I did buy a wall hanging for my brother, though, and when I opened it up to pack it, this was exactly the smell I got! I like it, but don't want to smell like a food store! Think I'll keep the sample for when I want to go on a nostalgia trip.

29 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Balmy and gentle in a way that conjures me vaguely Secret Obsession CK. The whisper of a cool spring night in the yards of a flowered green farm crowded by mysterious birds and buzzers and overlooked by an old farmhouse standing on the hill. The eyes of the owls shimmer in the dark, the crickets sound noisy. This is Jasmine Noir with its dark bottle and its blend of nocturnal flowers, precious woods, almonds, obscure liquorice and tonka. A drama of delicacy and romanticism. Superb.

29 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2014)

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Daliflor by Salvador Dali

This is a beautiful transparent rose/fruity fragrance with a touch of powder. On first spray I kept thinking "this smells like a Guerlain". Then it occured to me it's very like Insolence! This was six years before so it would appear Guerlain may have had inspiration from this! This is the EDT version and it also comes as an EDP so it would be interesting to see the differences.

ponderous's avatar
    ponderous

Mangiami Dopo Teatro by Hilde Soliani Profumi

Mangiami Dopo Teatro is candy-like canteloupe, pure and simple. It's youthful and linear and horribly over-priced for what it is, which is a glorified fruity body spray that wouldn't smell out of place in Bath & Body Works. Its longevity is excellent. I can't see myself repurchasing it, but I'll enjoy my bottle while it lasts because it makes me happy on lazy summer days.

carlos-uk's avatar
    carlos-uk

Caractère by Daniel Hechter

Well, this one has eluded me for many years......until today!

The phrase that springs to mind with this is "well groomed". It has a clean, mildly soapy but heavy smell to it. To me, it smells "expensive".

Now, God help me for saying this but it reminds me of Black Suede by Avon (and I hate Black Suede by Avon) yet I really like this. I can pick out the lemon in this and it's of a Givenchy Monsieur style. It's a bit old school. A slight hint of YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme as well but nowhere near as raucous.

This kind of demands a nice Suit or a Tux as it is formal but in a warm, friendly, inviting sort of way.

Let me sum it up by saying "I love it!". I'm so glad it's available in the U.K. This one will stay with me for as long as it's available.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Cool Water Deep Sun, Sea and Surf by Davidoff

Two points covered already: doesn't last long and a stronger citrus note. It's also extremely salty. Like a powerful L'eau d'Issey pour Homme just not as fresh. Certainly smells like the salty sea air... but now in cologne form! Doesn't improve on the original deep but I had to try yet another Cool Water flanker.

thatsmr2usir's avatar
    thatsmr2usir

Guess Suede by Guess

I had my reservations about Guess Suede! Thank goodness I was not let down. That badly... Guess Suede seems promising from the bottle The initial blast is of fruits, woods, & suede! Im thinking to myself what a lovely combination here.. However I got this burst of suede into my nostrils which was almost to the point of being overbearing & I said good grief!!!! This stuff is POTENT! I like the structure of this cologne because the suede is there from beginning to end. If it were not for the suede, this would not b such a good frag. Mind you I dont care for suede in fragrances but it works here. More better than Guess Man, its still lacking something, altho longevity is good, 6+ hours I will go neutral here as this is not a bad scent!

Orgoglio italianO's avatar
    Orgoglio italianO

Kristiansand New York by Kristiansand New York

Pretty good Frag :-) Smells similar to Creeds GIT,i enjoyed this. Longevity is mediocre

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Diva by Ungaro

Strange - I thought I would love Diva a lot more than I do in actuality . Powdery honeyed,floral chypre - full blast 80s ,Joan Collins ,Big Hair days. Very dramatic ,long lasting. I think the honey is what doesn't agree with me. A little bit dirty , animalic ,tart. Good juice but not for me.............

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Tubéreuse by Caron

This is a very interesting tuberose- thanks to my generous perfume pal for the sample. :)
    It's development is fascinating. There is a cool beginning - almost dusted sugar candy opening. Then it gets a little musty flowery , orange blossom emerges and I think oh Fracas ! before it moves on to a 'face cream' tuberose note. That's the only way I can think of describing it. It's not unpleasant but there is a vintage feel to it. Quietly enduring. Well thought out ,good juice. However Carnal Flower has become my reference tuberose .This is still 1 star short of Carnal Flower to me.

nucker's avatar
    nucker

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I had always been attracted to scents, but when I got my 1st whiff of this - circa 1989, I really sat up and took notice. The combination of florals mixed with an insane amount of aldehydes made this a completely groundbreaking experience. Although I haven't worn it in years, its the closest thing I ever had to a signature. I have a bottle of the original formulation stashed away and plan to apply it to myself on my deathbed - I want it to be the last thing that I smell in this lifetime.

arabhammerhead's avatar
    arabhammerhead

Space NK Man by Space NK

Lasts half a day, better than others but not as good as A-Men. Had deeper woody notes but also spring flowers like a male Happy.

Vladdypwnz's avatar
    Vladdypwnz

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

I can't really tell it apart from L'eau D'issey which I've owned a long time ago and that's certainly not a bad thing.

MissMagic's avatar
    MissMagic
    Sweden Sweden

Tribù by Benetton

Starts with a strong note of pastel crayons, together with red & black tea with the raisins cooked in the tea.In the middle I get he deepest sandalwood with a few figs, and dried fruits & tobacco, with sour rowanberry spiced up in liquor, so I guess rowanberry-liquor? This scent is **VERY AUTUMN**, the very scent of the year ending. Burning red, brown & yellow leaves, in the same color as the actual bottle! This is a very interesting "nichy"-smelling kind of perfume indeed!

MissMagic's avatar
    MissMagic
    Sweden Sweden

Les Echappées - Lalibela by Memo

Inspired by the mysterious Ethiopian city of Lalibela, Memo's Lalibela Eau de Parfum combines Coconut, orchid, rose, peony, jasmine, patchouli, cistus, vanilla, tobacco leaf, absolute incense,and woods. ----------- Starts with the scent of baking Cinnamon (buns) Roll raw Dough - & loooooots of cinnamon - that's the topnotes! In the heart I get sugar syruped vintage Samsara (Guerlain). Among with sweet scent of coke (coca cola drink) someone left in the heat & forgot to drink, so the carbonic acid fizzines is gone. Base of bitter vanilla mulled red wine (glögg in Swedish) & STRONG tobacco note. Smells very "grown up". Like a bitter-sweet Serge Lutens "Borneo 1834" with a dash of YSL "Opium". Horribly boring bottle-design - totally does NOT fit the scent, how strange!!

D.Sprad's avatar
    D.Sprad

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Boozy. Masculine. Rich. Eighties. Powerhouse. Beautiful.

All words I'd pick to describe this scent.
    It opens with a sharp kick but settles down to a beyond rich base.
    Eighties in a bottle, but not in a bad way. Over application WILL kill you.
    If used in moderation (I think two sprays would be more than enough), it can be a wonderful scent through and through.

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi

I just (this spring) started trying citrus aromatics, so i'm not quite sure yet how to interpret them.

Herbs in place of florals is new to me, and on my skin type these tend to 'sit', like a plane that can't take off.

The strongest note i get is citrus wiht a hint of lavendar. Since i just got back from a lavendar festival i know i love this note, but in a sachet, not on my skin. This is a little too heavy for me.

I'm also not used to a 'weak' base; i.e, one missing patchouli, sandalwood, amber, etc. Soley musk and herbs tneds to wear light on me.

The jury is still out on aromatics; I'm not taking to them the way i did chypres, so this may not be my genre. But overall this is a scent i am glad to have tried, it is not off putting and the notes are well blended. For it's genre I suspect this is up there in quality, so I recommend to those who are interested.

Poivre by Caron

Oh well, I got a sample of this with my Tabac Blond. Upon application I get slight shifts from clove and pepper to only clove, later clove and a hint of incense, but mainly clove as the main star. It is certainly nicely done and I can compare it with the essential oil of clove (bud), which I have at home, which is on the other hand CHEAP to buy.
    Coincidently, one day after sampling this, we were invited to a bbq in the middle of the wood and in order to repel mosquitos I made a solution half clove oil and half almond oil (clove oil alone is too aggressive on the skin). It worked very efficiently, but also smelled very similar. Is this how you want to smell when wearing perfume? I also think it smells VEEEERY outdated.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

To me this smells like cheap synthetic crap you can pick up in every mall anytime. Not more to say about this one, I'm sorry!

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

Well, this is okay, but smells very much like a rose-scented shower gel (same sillage on me). This is probably okay value for your money, but to me not as earthshaking as other reviewers have already stated.