Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Bigsly's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I really enjoy taking the cap off and smelling the sprayer, but wearing it is a "different story." After the initial blast wears off, it just lies there. The scent is too lethargic, though I think if I moved around a lot during the day this might solve the problem. Instead, it possesses a drydown that lacks dynamism. In fact, I would say this is the best fragrance I have encountered that has almost no dynamism to it. "Heavy" fragrances can be dynamic, such as Oscar Pour Lui (vintage), so that's not the issue here. Longevity and projection ("sillage") are excellent. I'll give it a neutral because I still don't know whether I need this in my rotation, even after at least ten wearings over a long course of time.

rioni's avatar

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

First review and I must say that this smells horrible. The smell is similar to a dude wearing antiperspirant that wasn't applied sufficiently and it's now mixed with body oder at around 5pm.

rioni's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Simply perfect. I can't believe there aren't more positive reviews on this one. Not only the best of the Tom Ford line but the best leather fragrance period.

Ronin's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I like it so much that I think I will always have a bottle in my collection. It goes on strong but quickly settles down. It is rather linear so don't be afraid to get a bit on your clothes for longer longevity. Wonderful and sexy stuff that can be used throughout the year.

varvara's avatar

Lyric Woman by Amouage

no one is going to break the positive review pattern going on with LYRIC.
    gorgeous deep sultry spicy incense rose...i've seen the comps with nahema and sacron...i own both those scents and i can say o don;t see the comparison. i do see it with my holy grail KINGDOM....to me they both have that sensuous animalic cumin incense rose theme.

tearoad's avatar

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

BANANA REPUBLIC CLASSIC by Banana Republic

Clean and fresh like a lemon mist after a morning shower, Banana Republic Classic is the perfect eau de toilette for summer weekends on Nantucket, the Vineyard, and the Hamptons. With notes of citrus, honeysuckle, and bergamot, this is the fragrance counterpart to crisp linen and espadrilles, white handkerchiefs and straw hats—and tall gin tonics. Girls in summer dresses and the hissing of summer lawns. In other words, BR Classic evokes the icons of summer. Even the streamlined bottle with its matte nickel top evokes another classic: Chanel No. 5—and yet, BR Classic is as American as Gatsby and Daisy on a summer porch in West Egg.

Dorian Gray's avatar

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

The love child of Etro Heliotrope and Habit Rouge. Like icing sugar to be applied to the Xmas log. I definitely get the snow reference and this is assuredly powdery and bursting with vanilla. Maybe a little like custard powder, but in a good way as I keep wanting to sniff my arm whence it lies.

upsilon's avatar

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

A light weight, synthetic, wearable, but ultimately forgettable vetiver. The first three things that immediately come to mind upon application are orange, vetiver, and fresh rubber straight from the factory. An interesting mix and worth trying out, especially if you're a fan of vetivers. There is minimal development for the duration of this scent and overall lasting power is average. I've had a fine young lady say she loved this scent, so that counts for something in my book. Never the less, I'll stick to more raw and rugged smelling vetivers for daily wear.

BayKAT's avatar

Gold Woman by Amouage

If considering sampling Gold, you'll want to note the lily of the valley, jasmine and myrrh, which tend to wear sweet when accentuated, and here they are.

Now check your own wardrobe. How many strong white floral aldehydes do you have? Is Chanel n5 in your boudoir? (which is better than this, IMO) What you think about No5 is what you'll think about this.

This is not my genre, and unsurprisingly Gold wears on me like a Fran Drescher monologue. I've sniffed enough Amouage offerings to know that it caters to sweeter scent tastes, so I've never been much of a fan.

I doubt anyone would buy this blind, but even if you are considering a sample do confirm that heavy white florals are on your love list first.

Wrench's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

The first thing I can say about this perfume is that it is totally age-inappropriate for anyone over the age of 25. If you're under 30 but still living like you're 23, you might have a chance, but otherwise this is a young woman's perfume. That being said, this is one of my absolute favorites. Bright, clean, crisp, fruity and just a little bit sassy. It sprays on with a quick, sharp burst of citrus, more juicy lime than sweet orange, with a quick burst of grapefruit that quickly dissipates into the heartnotes of Golden Delicious apple (don't expect sweet Gala or Pink Lady!) and violet. I don't get much from the rose or tuberose here; again, these scents might mature this distinctly young perfume. The basenotes take a long time to make themselves known; the white amber merely harmonizes with the flowers rather than speaking for itself, and the woods scent is more of a sunlit clearing in a mountain-side woodland, rather than a deep romance novel forest. This is not a perfume for people who like to analyze perfume. It's simple, straightforward and self-explanatory. But if you don't mind smelling like a 22 year-old, first job out of college, self-sufficient woman, this is a wonderful perfume with great potential. Just don't go heavy-handed with it.

tomorrowstars's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I don't have a lot of experience with fragrances, but of the handful that I've tried this is by far the best.
    After the first spray it smells to me exactly like Djarum kretek cigarettes. I used to smoke them years back, then just enjoyed the smell when others smoked them nearby. Now I can bring it everywhere.
    Longevity seems good. I've been wearing it with just one spray on the neck and get whiffs of it once in a while as much as eight hours later.
    Sillage is strong in the first hour or two, but I'm not sure about it after that. I haven't received any comments/compliments in public, but that doesn't necessarily mean others can't smell it.

JeanieE's avatar

Clean Fresh Laundry by Clean

yes, agree it smells a little Tide-y and doesn't last. However, I'm a fan of the scent of cleanliness and so I kinda like it..:)

Primrose's avatar

Trouble by Boucheron

This scent has so many conflicting comments. Some love it; some hate it. Some say it lasts long; others say longevity is poor. Is conflicting consensus the mark--as with great art--of a masterpiece? Perhaps.

Although I do not deem this scent a must-have, I enjoy its warm and sweet vanilla drydown. Even with the similar viper/poison-and-fangs imagery, this is not like Poison at all, with its in-your-face potency, nor as strong as Hypnotic Poison, with its candy sweetness. Trouble is much gentler than these two. The top notes are very floral and even fruity, with more than a good amount of citrus.

This scent came in so many forms: pure parfum, eau de parfum, eau legere, and even perfume solid in a compact. I wonder why it's being discontinued only six years after its launch. At this writing, it is still on the corporate Web site.

I would deem Trouble bottle-worthy but not a blind buy. (It can be bought at discount retailers now.) If you like florals with fruit and citrus, and an amber/vanilla drydown, you may wish to sample this.

EDIT: Evidently there was a lawsuit between Roberto Cavalli and Boucheron (bottle designed by Chantal Azagury-Partridge, jewellery designer) on the use of the snake motif. It appears Boucheron was obliged to change to snake cap on Trouble to a twining ribbon design with a green jewel.

03 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 February, 2011)

Giannino's avatar

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

I actually smelled this fragrance off a work colleague and couldn't for the life of me work out what it was. You can imagine my frustration. Having randomly sampled Ultraviolet by chance, i was amazed that I'd actually found it!
    This scent is unique, quite unlike anything else i've worn, and believe me i've worn a lot! It's mildly sweet, has a truly fantastic opening (fresh mint and candy floss??) is quite synthetic (but in a good way) has good longevity and it's projection is amazing.
    Any man wearing this will surely stand-out in today's sterile, aquatic fruity/sports fragrances era.

03 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2012)

angelica's avatar

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

In the same way that Tubereuse Criminelle creates an impression of the actual smell of tuberose absolute, weird camphor note and all, this creates an impression of the actual smell of frankincense tears when you burn them. This is what I've always wanted an incense fragrance to smell like - straight-up frankincense - rather than some nag champa incense stick. A dream come true for me!

RHM's avatar

Cabotine by Grès

Definitely worth trying, especially for the price. It is quite chemistry dependent, so try A LITTLE on your skin first. Cabotine is very easy to overy apply and easy to dismiss upon first sniff. Give it a chance to dry down.
    The notes read like a Who's Who of fragrance, if Cabotine "works" for you, you sure do get your money's worth.
    Most prominent on my skin are the ginger lily & ylang-ylang. The ylang-ylang ges away pretty quickly, thank goodness, as it's very sweet. The ginger lily is beautifully spicy. The overall effect is fresh, floral, green with a trmendous longevity.
    The dry down is spectacular.
    Be warned, this one clings to your clothing forever, so it's best to test lightly before purchasing to be sure you love it.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

I once constantly consulted Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's Perfumes: The Guide, and although I think their witty reviews are generally spot on, I find LT's glib dimissal of D&G rather wide of the mark.

It's true that the top notes come on with something of a big bang, yet I think the supposed bombast might be compared with Wagnerian opera. There's something symphonic about it--as many notes here as instruments in the orchestra at the Bayreuther Festspiele--and while the instruments often combine in Wagner's music to deliver a sonic knock-out punch that can leave one feeling quite overwhelmed, there are also intricate, even delicate, layers of subtle beauty working harmoniously beneath the surface. You just have to pay attention long enough to realize this.

This is not, of course, the sort of metaphor one would use to describe a perfume that is in many ways simply a product of its time--and its time was late in the era of BIG fragrances such as Samsara, Red Door, Opium, Spellbound, Amarige, Poison, etc., all of which my friends and I wore with reckless abandon back in the day. Indeed, D&G can leave a mighty fragrant trail.

I wore it briefly in the late 90s, just before a crisis turned my world around. When I recovered, I decided to go back to my old favorites, L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar, as if to find strength in tradition. Yesterday, while conducting a domestic archeology expedition (it's never merely housework in the clutter of Chez Mod) I discovered a sample vial of D&G.

I emptied the vial on myself after getting out of the shower today. It was as wonderful as I remembered--a lush array of floral notes, so many that it's difficult (for me, at least) to separate them out. No matter, though, as the combination is so luxurious that analysis might well be beside the point. Late in the day--even as I write--I smell what seemed to be a trace of incense amidst the lingering scent. Although an aldehyde by composition, it has a strong oriental vibe as well.

In theory, I generally wouldn't go for a fragrance with so many floral notes, but D&G is neither sweet nor innocent nor faux-naïf nor cloying nor timid, all those qualities I find undesirable in both perfumes and women. It's been a joy to rediscover D&G.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

The LuckyScent blurb for this fragrance says, "The elements are so smoothly blended that it’s difficult to pick out notes. . . . This isn’t a fragrance that is going to jump out at you and say “wear me to a gala!” This is an everyday sort of scent."

Indeed, these statements are accurate, damningly so. It isn't easy to pick out the notes: there's something floral, something woody, and something else. For the life of me, I couldn't detect the ambergris that gives this fragrance its name. I suppose I was expecting something more interesting--but no. The sillage is negligent, even from the beginning. It's pleasant enough, a clean-smelling skin scent but not much more than that. Beyond that, it's difficult to say more. As Gertrude Stein said, "There's no there there."

I would give it a "thumbs-down" for lack of interest--but it's not interesting enough to inspire that sort of malice.

dimplesg's avatar

Ricci Ricci by Nina Ricci

I love this scent. Its sweet but not too sweet. I like to wear it in the office. Its a very pleasant scent with longevity.

04 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2010)

jbarnett's avatar

Pompeïa by Piver

I bought a very old, cut crystal stoppered bottle of this with some perfume remaining. While off, it smelled interesting, so I bought a new bottle. This may have some jasmine in it, but that and any other ingredients are totally overpowered by an horrendous synthetic civet. Unless one is looking for undue attention from a dog, or having friends looking at your shoes thinking you stepped in some, avoid. Please.

Tony T's avatar

Incanto pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

an ok fresh/green scent. very light. almost not there. very casual.

Tony T's avatar

Incanto pour Homme Essential by Salvatore Ferragamo

a decent nice weather scent. better than the expensive gendarme line but not much. ferragamo need new perfumists or something. this and incanto smell interesting but last for 30 minutes and then poof.maybe an extreme version should be in the works..

bbBD's avatar

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Allow me to enthusiastically echo the sentiments of the reviewers below. Over time I'm less and less inclined to wear, or even enjoy, citrus-heavy fragrances. Even in the heat of summer I find most citruses too sharp, and most modern citrus scents feel laden with cheap aromachemicals. When I am feeling the need to wear citrus there's only a small handful of candidates for me to reach for, and Eau de Guerlain is at the top of that list.

The lemon/verbena/bergamot topnote accord is a perfect blend between citrus-sharp and fruit-sweet. Supporting and giving breadth to the citrus notes is a healthy dose of jasmine, and twinges of herbal notes and a hint of petitgrain fill out the very full 'cologne effect'. Unlike most colognes that are ephemeral on the skin at best, Eau de Guerlain persists for a few hours and dries down with just a hint of sweet amber and mossy/woody notes.

If you're going to own one traditional eau de cologne, make it Eau de Guerlain. Thumbs UP.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I think I am the only one who dislikes this perfume here. * looks BELOW to other reviews...*
    There is no subtlety with Lys Mediterranee . It's straight in there with that thick marine note, it's extremely spicey to start too- like curry and cumin lashings . As the perfume dries down, it gets fresher in a green sense and the lily is more prominent but that spice will not let go.My head in stuck in the yellow pollen, deep inside that flower which just happens to be growing in the kitchen of a very bad indian chef.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Gold by Donna Karan

Now we are talking a lily perfume that is wearable and distinct. This perfume has no rough edges to it- it's a clean ,refreshing lily ,slightly spicy and indeed, it smells like Gold would. It's a good name for this scent- as it progresses,it smells 'shiny' and smooth. extremely well behaved perfume and very likeable.

Scent-e-mental's avatar

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

I love this fragrance - it is really unlike anything else I own. There is the definite woodiness as with many of the fragrances I like, however, the herbaceous notes in this one make it very different. To me it has an almost culinary feel to it, like wafts of cooking coming from a kitchen or perhaps a herb garden on a warm spring day. I have only been able to locate a EDC, but it is still quite strong. An EDT would be amazing.

TropiRock's avatar

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

What an interesting fragrance. MPG (Jean Laporte) never ceases to amaze me with his unique creations. To be sure, Jardin du Nil is not for everyone. As others have mentioned, this cologne opens in strange (perhaps unpleasant, to some) fashion. Overripe fruit and yes, I definitely smell the essence that some have described as "dirty socks" or perhaps a sweaty locker room. But that subsides and the drydown is a beautiful, brooding aura as suggested by Dutchy: dark roses, ripe fruit sitting on a vendor's cart in the hot Egyptian sun, mixed herbs. I like it and as with so many other MPG colognes, I can't think of any similar fragrance from any other house. There probably isn't much middle ground on this one: I suspect you'll either find it repulsive or you'll love it as I do, for its special niche in your wardrobe.

MOONB's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

This is just a dandified bay rum, spruced up with the mint in the top and the cedar wood in the middle. The cedar is pretty dominant to me, and kinda reminds me of a hamster cage. I don't get any vetiver, but maybe some frankincense. There's also a very light, blink-and-you-miss-it tobacco accord flitting around in the base, which seems to be an amalgamation of the persistent mint from the top co-mingling with the cedar, bay, cloves, and a really poor rendition of rum. As for there being a "fecal" note: no, there is no fecal note in Cuba. This hamster cage is clean.

MOONB's avatar

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

Serious, serious grapefruit going on here. Then there's the clary and coriander, and a Creed-lite ambergris dry down.

Czech & Speake has a funny approach here, and it may fit certain personalities very nicely, but I can't help but wonder who would really want to smell like this. Something about citrus followed by sage is a little dull. Something about bold grapefruit being the citrus seems like it's trying too hard to be subversive, but only in a vanilla sorta way, like a high school kid who sneaks out through his bedroom window in the middle of the night to meet up with his buddies in the parking lot of Dunkin' Donuts, and maybe have an iced coffee. Citrus Paradisi isn't awful, but it's pretty pointless. And for the $$ it's a joke.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Brit by Burberry

The perfect temperament between tart limes and sweet almonds, each keeping the other from going too far. Brit is an exemplary casual fragrance. By this I mean it performs equally well in an air conditioned office, on the beach in the summer, or pretty much anywhere. It's well-behaved without being boring or forgettable. No pushing of envelopes, just quiet, assertive excellence. I think Brit (just the womens' version) is one of the best in the whole Burberry line.