Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

I really like this one. Hanae Mori races out of the bottle with a lush, berry-driven sweetness which threatens to overwhelm when just in time the floral mid barricade is raised. And here it remains in this strange juicy/dry balance for no small time, allowing a delicious strawberry/rose accord to rise from what could have been a jammy mess (Lola). The light woody drydown is of great quality and each phase of the scent is well worth the wait. It also seems multi-seasonal, as well as multi-occasional, and it goes on for ages, so high marks all around from me.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Taliaseki made an interesting assessment while I was searching for a note...dried clover!
    FlowerbyKenzo boasts a beautiful and feminine rose opening, and a soft one at that. The vanilla/opoponax/musk middle makes this one too powdery for some, but it just wouldn't work the same without it. Then there's that odd 'dried clover' vibe... The rest of its body is as clear as the stem of its bottle. It is mysteriously spacious, as though there's this hollow area inside the scent itself. And despite this apparent lack of body, Flower lasts for hours and hours. I love a good rose scent and this one's so curious I just have to like it.

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

Sun Moon Stars evades description. It's sweet, it's spicy, it's juicy, it's earthy, it's light, it's powerful. It smells like a magical gifts shop my mother worked at when I was younger. It has a sort of sweet Tibetan smokiness I could not have forseen reading the notes list. Even the aforementioned 'Swedish Fish' accord is spot on. Delicious!
    Sun Moon Stars has everything good going for it; layers, change, complexity, price, longevity, beauty, all of it. What a gem!

Magical Moon by Hanae Mori

Magical Moon is surely the best of the line. For a while I really thought I liked Hanae Mori (butterfly) better, but that was only on paper tests. Moon does not come out on paper like it does with skin. It doesn't come across as very foody to me, but it certainly is rich. The juicy characteristics of pineapple, guava, and litchi are offset beautifully with the spiciness of pink pepper and ginger. The floral, rosey mid is smooth albeit a bit nondescript, perhaps being overpowered by other notes, but the base is heavenly, and I can smell the (excellent) patchouli/sandalwood combo from the start.
    M.M. projects well and lasts very long, and is in every way an excellent fragrance.
    This review is of the parfum format.

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

I was fully prepared to dislike Fancy just for the face on the packaging and my mind and nose were steeling themselves for the attack to come...
    It's actually quite good. The soft fruit layer on the top is inviting, if fake. The jasmine and gardenia are almost an afterthought, like a semi-talented street performing duo who had the misfortune of stationing themselves outside the stadium where the Who (the vanilla, in this case) is playing. The combination of almond, caramel, vanilla and fruits makes me wish I could pour this one over ice cream instead of wear it, but all in all it's a decent and very long lasting gourmand. Anyone who digs Fancy should check out Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum; all the vanillic gourmand enchantment with less nuissance and ten times the class.

John Varvatos Woman by John Varvatos

Here's a real 'could have' fragrance. The florals are nice, but don't seem too 'alive.' The fruity notes are good but a bit too fake. The base, with its angel's share of oakmoss, really could have bolstered the overall quality if it were stronger, more present. J.V. Woman is by no means a bad fragrance. It would make an excellent safe gift or a decent introduction to perfumery for a friend. It really does smell good, but most of those in this habit for any significant amount of time will probably find it lacking in the end. Still eager to see if there will be another addition to the J.V. feminine side.

strauss's avatar

Ukraine Ukraine

D'èrjé by Rancé

Very beautiful pure, transparent smell, for very beautiful romantic women like my wife. It is good for any cases and seasons

BayKAT's avatar

French Cancan by Caron

(Parfum review)
    Actual notes: jasmine, lilac, violet, lily of the valley, rose, orange blossom, patchouli, iris, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss

Cancan unfolds like a night at a club. First you walk in and find yourself alone, and it takes awhile for other patrons to show up. Abruptly, however, jasmine and lily of the valley walk in, with a shaken bottle of champaigne that opens with a BANG and covers you with sticky, sweet bubbly.

this phase i don't like, as the jasmine is too strong for me and in my head I was composing my first Caron epitaph. Around the 1 1/2 hour mark violet and lilac show up, which have the effect of two well heeled ladies that walk in and cause the roudies to settle down.

But they don't stay nice for long. At the two hour mark the 'conversation' turns a bit salicious. I don't know what's causing htis, but the middle phase wears a bit 'dirty' on me, not stinky, but certainly not fresh.

in a strange way the conversation remains interesting, and as the hours pass by i find myself returning to my wrist to satisfy my curiosity. The dry down is best, the opening is trying. As a floral this genre does not appeal to me, but as a Caron it is certainly worthy of the name and reputation.

To love this you have to be a strong Jasmine fan. To appreciate this you have to be a true perfumista. To like this you just have to know how to enjoy a night on the town.

umr's avatar

Idylle by Guerlain

I adore the true Guerlain classics - Shalimar, Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko are my favourites - and I hated this. I can hardly believe it's made by the same house. It started off smelling vaguely rose-y but quickly became weirdly reminiscent of cheap 1970's musk perfumes. Fortunately for me it had little staying power. I won't bother with this one again and it doesn't bode well for the way Guerlain is going. They also seem to have discontinued most of the bath and body products in their classic fragrances in the UK which is a real shame as they were so luxurious.

suzi2qs's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

This one slaps you in the face....hard. It is considered a classic and truly, I have never smelled anything like it. My first impression was "EEEEEYOOO" Celery! Vegetable stock! Then after that, marijuana. Like I had just walked into a Bowie concert at MSG in the 70's. Thought, Jeez, if I get pulled over for a traffic violation wearing this, the police will toss my car for sure. I scrubbed and put it on my dresser and tried to pretend it wasn't there. No big loss, 20 something dollars for a huge bottle. But, it called for me to try it again and I found it was not such a monster. I honestly am not getting any of the above stated notes, but it has a rather insence-like air about it, a little skank thrown in for good measure (probably the Castoreum). It dries down to a more mellow, smokiness on my skin, challenging at first, a bit reminiscent of a cult like ceremony, but worth the wait, On clothes however, this remains, pure, sticky, unsmoked marijuana. I will wear this, yes, I will apply to my skin and make sure it is dry before dressing. Would wear it to the office only on a day when I was feeling arrogant and bitchy, it would be a good fit. Probably will scare the guys, but let them deal with it. I would recommend trying this just for the perverse experience. Like an over the top haunted hayride on Halloween, you gotta do it once

Antonia's avatar

Space NK Woman by Space NK

Okay, I'll go first.

This was my absolute favourite until I discovered Kiehl's No. 1 Original Musk, but I still keep the EDP and EDT of Woman on the bathroom shelf, and go back to them in winter. This is too heavy a smell for summer, but PHWOAR it smells good on jumpers and coats.

(I'm no good at writing flowery eloquent reviews like everyone else on this site, just so you know. If you want a good bodice-ripping read, go to the Chanel page.)

I wanted a perfume that smelled classic, old-school, sophisticated, 1920s, elegant. A perfume I'd find on a ££ long black wool coat hanging in the cloakroom at the theatre, a coat belonging to someone 30 years older, better travelled and more interesting than me, with better cheekbones. This perfume smells just right.

I loved to smell this most when it had settled into the neck of my favourite thick old wool polo-neck jumper, now RIP. Smelled fantastic. Grown-up, reassuring, refined, classic, like borrowing that coat I found in the theatre. It does what it says on the tin, settling down into a beautiful patchouli that's elegant, rather than hippie.

It isn't powdery like many old classics: it's more of an amber scent than a powder one. I only have so much time for powder. I like it in Kiehl's, but I hate it in Chanels. I really want to like Chanel, but the only one I like is Cuir de Russie and even that is too powder-heavy for me. Still, that gives you an idea of what else I like. Kiehl's Original; Cuir de Russie; Korres Cardamom Saffron Etc Etc on my boyfriend; and this.

Sissou's avatar

Chypré Fruité by Montale

it's just my favorite perfume!!

CoL's avatar

Costume National Homme by Costume National

I knew it had to happen, this is just plain crap. I adore Costume National but this is certainly not theyre usual kind of offering! The bottle is cheap and the lid is very plastic. The fragrance? Thick sweet figggy rubbish. I'm still trying to like something about it but not having much luck.

I should have guessed when I saw the different perfumer. Test this one first, I bought it blind and wish I hadn't!

scentsitivity's avatar

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Villoresi’s Vetiver reminds me of Etro’s Vetiver: smoky and harsh. I admire it, but it isn’t for me. I wonder if I would like it on someone else? (Perhaps an experiment to consider in the future). I think I prefer Etro’s version, but the LV version merits consideration if vetiver with an edge is your cup of tea . I prefer LVs Uomo for its presentation and integration of vetiver.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Maharanih by Nicolaï

Strange, very strange. If judged by name only, Parfums de Nicolaï's fragrances Maharadjah and Maharanih would seem to be a gender-specific pair of "coupled scents." Don't let the masculine and feminine forms of the terms for a type of Indian ruler fool you--Maharadjah is a promising if ultimately boring oriental fragrance, while Maharanih comes on like a bomb and dries down to a swaggering and dirty orange odor.

I have been searching for the perfect spicy orange oriental, so far unsuccessfully. I'd hoped that Maharanih might be the one. It's orange, alright--a very bitter, edgy orange that is redolent of Aranciata. Some note or combination thereof, however, turns the fragrance absolutely vulgar and dirty in the drydown, to the point that I could swear that I'd been splattered with an orange laced with cumin. Eventually, the unwashed body smell took over.

Maharanih has long-lasting endurance. I'm just grateful it's sillage isn't the strongest, because everytime I move a catch a gust of something that makes me check (time and time again) to make sure I'm wearing deodorant.

derekp's avatar

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

This one has got that patchouli-cedar combo that drives me crazy. I literally get dizzy after a few whiffs. I'm still not sure whether it's these 2 notes combined in general or the quality of the ingredients used (obviously into synthetics at this price point), but they almost always cause this reaction. That spoils any positive qualities this one might have had for me. Big thumbs down.

Worth1969's avatar

I am King by Sean John

How could this possibly be called "I Am King" ???
    Instead of a rich, masculine fragrance of class and distinction, we are accosted with a fruity headache of a scent that smells more like a 16 year old girl than a king!

What do you expect when an ego-driven celebrity with his head up his a$$ gets involved in the fragrance biz? Don't expect anything special.

Versace L'Homme or Tsar (original) could have been called I Am King - but Puffy's king smells like bubble bath and cheap air freshener.

What a Joke!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Slate by Banana Republic

First let me say I saw this at T.J Maxx for $20! This was the gift set. 1.7oz spray & 2.0 Shower Gel! I thought that was a great deal so I got it! Now I never smelled Slate up until yesterday when I first tried it on. There is a metallic, herbal, green pasture thing going on here.. Now this is not bad stuff. I kept getting whiffs of it throughout the day & the frag really does not move out of that whole metallic, herbal, green pasture formation. When I smell this, I get a sudden urge to eat! This is by no means a gourmet frag, but it does come off as having a sage note that 1 would use in dressing for thanksgiving! While the herbal note is there, it is over powered by the metallic note as it blends perfectly with the herbal note which seems to create a vision as if you were walking through green meadows! GRASS! A pleasant grass. The longevity was impressive! 6 hours! Projection seemed good as well! All in all this is a good modern day frag that surpasses alot in its time. I would give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5! Banana Republic has a winner with this 1!

rioni's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Awesome scent. Very vintage and makes a statement. I can't see myself wearing this all that often but I really like the smell of it.

rioni's avatar

Anat Fritz by Anat Fritz

Excellent. Smells very grassy and a bit sharp and definitely masculine . I'd consider getting a bottle but not at the luckyscent price.

Tony T's avatar

Hot Water by Davidoff

i sold my bottle after 3 days of usage. poor longevity and sillage. very mainstream and uneventful.

soirdelune's avatar

Divine by Divine

Nice enough but, in a word, YSATIS. Fine quality, handsome, but owes too much to its Givenchy predecessor to be truly remarkable.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I just cannot get away with this at all...I get a Gucci scent...and expect more.It smells like a museum I went to,with a victorian Chemists/Pharmacy ...They had obviously tried to recreate the smell for atmosphere....and this smells the same,but stronger...It is heavy...cloying...and quite sickly.I don't know what they are trying to do with this...smells similar to a diesel scent in the red bottle...but probably longer lasting...unfortunately!!

David Beckham Instinct Intense by Beckham

It smells alot more quality than the price suggests...a light spray all over leaves a nice smell that actually smells better than others I have tried that may cost 3 times more....not light...a good stayer...It smells similar to 212 sexy men...and 1 million...I would rather buy this.Understated like all the Instinct variants

212 Men Splash 2008 by Carolina Herrera

If you like 212 Men...and like me you see this at a bargain knockdown price....you would be certainly tempted to buy it...but it is certainly different.The initial spray will smell like 212 for a matter of seconds....but turns quickly to a fruity..then almost salty smell...I think this is classed as an Aqua scent...and thats where I get the problem...I don't know if it's skin chemistry...but I have tried similar scents...and for some reason...there is a damp/stale smell close to the skin...from a distance smells ok...if not quite sharp on the nose.I am not keen...but I imagine some people would like it...gonna be a neutral...because I have had alot worse.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

If you love lemon then this is one for you. Extremely bright lemon note,almost makes your mouth water with its citrus -ness. Although, on my skin, the lemon stays around for some time, the cedar does come through later. Refreshing, tart to begin with, very much in genre of Eaus and Eau de Colognes, I suppose. Evocative of hot summers . A polite,chaste and classy lemon fragrance and unisex !

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie L'Eau by Christian Dior

Definitely a different direction from it's Big Sister- Miss Dior Cherie.This is a slightly limpid watery floral with some dashing of green gardenia but mostly water,a little sweetnes and a note of water lily is what I get. This is prominent for half a hour/45 minutes before it disappears into 'generic light dept. store inoffensive floral' .
    Still much more wearable than Miss Dior Cherie for those who dislike that uber sweetness.

epicurean's avatar

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

A rich, complex scent in the oriental style, but alas, most reminiscent of shaving cream than evenings at an Arabian palace. It's obviously very well made, but, as is the case with scents like Derby or Amouage Gold, more admirable than truly enjoyable.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

This is a review of L'Heure Bleue parfum.
    I've heard that the fume world falls into two categories regarding this venerable fragrance-- you either prefer Mitsouko or L'Heure Bleue, and I prefer Mitsouko. Twice I tried to wear L'Heure Bleue. The second time sealed its fate. I tried to understand it, to get past the complete and utter shock of my first application, tried to at the very least perceive the intense emotional reactions so many have had while wearing this. But my skin won't allow it.

I do not wear this fragrance well. And that is an understatement. Its combination of notes translate into nothing more than a mismatched conglomeration of cheap, new-age bookstore incense. The first wear was confusing. The second wear was scrubbed off and the vial happily passed on.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

So elegant. This scent is not casual, it goes with the suit. I don't find it to be an evening fragrance, screams sunny day to me. Women will appreciate this one on men, I repeat men, not guys from the hood, but a man in a suit and of course this man has a proper job.