Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

This one is for romantic occasion. A scent of a ˝player˝. At first it was a turn off, but when it came to drydown I loved it. A fragrance that is not for everyone, I'll agree to that.

tott's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Royal English Leather by Creed

I see that I'm not the only one noticing a resemblance to Knize Ten, but Royal English Leather is more subdued. The leather is not as harsh and petrochemical as K10's, and it's sweeter and smoother. REL feels a bit like K10 on Valium.

I prefer the confrontantional K10, but I can see myself getting a bottle of the more polite REL some day. Some might call it dull, I say pleasant.

belleotero's avatar

Sortilège by Long Lost Perfume

This is for the vintage parfum de toilette: I'm surprised how lovely I find this. Toasted caramel, powdered sugar, blended sweet flowers that are refined rather than heady, and an amber-vanilla accord that reminds me of Santa Maria Novella Calicantus, but more delicate and feminine. Every so often I get an unfortunate waft of nail polish remover ... I suppose this is the vintage aldehydes. But the overall effect is very pretty, warm and soft.

belleotero's avatar

Cuir by Lancôme

Damn. I bought this unsniffed, based on my obsession with leather, widespread positive opinion, and a great price on beautyencounter. But I can't bear most fruit notes, and on me the heart of this fragrance is dominated by something that comes off aquatic and melony. Perhaps this is the saffron? - a note with which I am unfamiliar (on its own) but which I suspect doesn't work on me based on my bad chemistry with various Montales. If I bury my nose against my wrist I get a preview of the drydown leather-amber, which is warm and sumptuous. But, for hours, the watery honeydew melon pervades the sillage and won't leave me alone; it ends up smelling cheap and fake. I think this is a chemistry issue, so I'm giving it a neutral.

Scent-e-mental's avatar

Matchabelli by Prince Matchabelli

I found a vintage bottle of this at a school fair and paid the princely sum of 20 cents for it. The bottle is 3/4 full. Even though it is only after shave strength it is still reasonably potent. The subtle woodiness and slight citric start make this a very comfortable fragrance.

Pavlova by Five Star Fragrances

I have a Payot vintage bottle of the stuff, and it is QUITE lovely. Fragrantica lists the notes as: top notes, mandarin orange, cassia, raspberry and grapefruit; middle notes are tuberose, jasmine, hiacynth, neroli, ylang-ylang and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, musk, vanilla, oakmoss and vetiver.

The most impressive thing about this scent is how seamlessly the notes are blended... it gives the impression of a soft, sweet wall of fruity floral wrapped around a warm and earthy base. This never goes cloying or too sweet on my skin and I am so happy that Brielle had a bottle on offer! It is what I would consider a gorgeous romantic feminine scent with tons of class.

RJW's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Oh wow. Is this some kind of sick joke?! The fact that so many MEN like this makes me believe I must truly be missing something. I've been following the forums here for a while now and found some incredible fragrances but this is just hilarious. After smelling Joop I thought there couldn't be anything worse, I was wrong. I honestly felt it my responsibility to society to at least warn people about this vile liquid. The best thing I can say about A*men is that it smells like something an old woman may wear. There is simply NOTHING masculine about this (coming from a 23 year old guy).

True story: About 2 weeks ago at a church service I sat about 5 meters (15 feet) from an old lady wearing the most horrible, suffocating perfume I'd ever survived. I kid you not, I believe I now know what it was (or a replica of).

WARNING: Spraying this on your skin is like getting a tattoo, it's permanent. (-and not just any tattoo, a giant luminous pink anchor on your left bicep. yes, it's that subtle)

I wouldn't want to smell this on anyone, perhaps my grandmother, although I fear the fumes from this poisonous concoction would no doubt end the dear lady's life. I would write more but I need to go take an Advil and yet another shower. wow.

50_Roses's avatar

Zen (original / black) by Shiseido

Very occasionally a perfume will, with the first whiff, create in my mind an instantaneous impression of a particular place or situation. Zen is one of those. The first time I smelled it, I immediately pictured myself sitting in front of a fireplace on a chilly evening, sipping hot cider. This is a decidedly woody fragrance, and although there is no discernible (to my nose at least) note of smoke or ashes, the wood I picture is always in a fireplace, not a forest. I would describe it as a cozy comfort scent. Sometimes I will take the cap off the bottle and sniff just for the warm, cozy feeling I get from this fragrance. Some other reviewers have called this a "little black dress" scent, but I picture the little black dress being worn for an intimate evening for two (preferably in front of the fireplace), not a cocktail party. Highly recommended!

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

EDIT: I bought this yesterday 19th February 2011.
    I stand by my review below however I will add this ...
    This is a love or hate type of scent. Some see magnificence and art ,others see a low brow cheapo scent .
    I see a sort of mystery to this jus which appeals to me greatly despite its shortcomings in the later dry down. I think Calice Becker did a tremendous job with Beyond Paradise.
    It's the sort of scent that begins strong and then pulsates with your chemistry very subtly after a few minutes. The result is - many compliments .Go figure............

For me, the opening note of fresh gardenia,fresh floral is wonderful .There are many floral notes listed but the effect is of greenish, white florals and tropical ,at first.Hints of coconut later.
    I am disappointed when it loses that euphoric floral high and becomes a little stale ,even a little bitter on my skin later. It just becomes another Estee Lauder -with that Estee Lauder drydown. I do adore those top notes though. One of those perfumes I would buy just to experience the top notes again and again.

05 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2011)

chorando's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

To me this smells very similar to Lapidus pour homme. So similar in fact that it seems a little unnecessary to have both in my wardrobe. It is distinctive and the dirty rose is certainly unusual but Ted lapidus pour homme has the edge - dirtier and with more zing. Both fragrances share Lemon in the Top notes, Rose in the heart and Sandalwood and Patchouli in the base. I've not seen a comparison between the two here on basenotes but i'd be interested to see if anyone who has tried both scents gets the same similarities. A good scent nonetheless.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Today I re tried Eau Sauvage and what a delight it still is. It's unisex to me- a classic unisex cologne of light and bright - citrus ,woody, mossy . Utterly refreshing and gives an aura of 'just smelling fresh and good.' It's subtly classy.

Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This scent begins somewhat green and a little thin and then ,half an hour later it does open up beautifully into a buttery ( very used word for this perfume, I am sure ) white floral of mainly tuberose and orange blossom with cocount . In fact, it is almost a dead ringer for Fracas in EDP form ,when Fracas is just sprayed on skin .
    I do like this perfume and it's a good tuberose but I would prefer to wear Fracas over this because both are quite similar.

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

I tested from sample I received straight from the boutique in London. It's got spices, grass, black hemlock, violet, jasmine, vetiver, cedar and I am sure there is amber in it. I find this to be a green,spicy and peppery - beautiful fragrance and definitely different, unique in it's own way. It's chypre to me - reminds me of a nicer version of Nasomatto Absinth . I am sure this would make a good unisex scent !
    Longevity on my perfume eating skin was good.

Joeinmoscow's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

ps- as for longevity, it lasted ALL day and well into the night with me. I live in Moscow and weaker fragrances are defeated by the pollution here, but not with this Guerlain elixir ....my force-field kept radiating all day. I also felt much more "centred" when I wore it, it gave me a masculine confidence and I felt like Joseph in his Amazing Dreamcoat. How can you say that a perfume can create a universe, with you right in the middle of it, with everything else revolving around your gravity field? Well, Gurlain have done it. Pure perfume wizardry. Genius. The Art.

Granola's avatar

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

This is very modern and complex scent. I detect green notes, violet like Narciso Rodriguez for him and smokey notes. Very unique. Thumbs up

Granola's avatar

Frank No. 2 by Frank Los Angeles

This is a richer and more spicy version of Chanel Allure. And did I mention it lasts for more than 24 hours on my skin? Giving it full thumbs up!

06 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2010)

paulik's avatar

Romania Romania

Antaeus by Chanel

I remember wearing the original formulation of Antaeus and appreciating it as an outstanding fragrance, truly a masterpiece.

Unfortunately, the reformulation is a watery mess that made me argue with the salesperson that what I tried was not the original. And I was right. It was not the original, but unfortunately was also made by Chanel.

I simply don't understand why don't they keep original formulas and release re-formulations as flankers? Are they SO expensive to make? It would be a sign of respect for their customers.

Two thumbs up for the original, but thumbs down for this insult that they sell under the name of Antaeus.

Poison by Christian Dior

I resisted the Poison craze of the eighties as at that time I was deep in my resisting the mainstream mode ...scent-wise anything but natural patchouli and musk oils repulsed me, and I must be one of the only people who did not buy perfume, hairspray, mousse, or gel during that era. Only recently have I come to appreciate that there is indeed a place for a sweet wine-grape heady floral chypre like Poison in my scent wardrobe. I have to be in the mood for it, and I have to wait for the drydown, as the topnotes are a little too out front (six yards out front at first!)... but there are days when nothing but Poison will do. Thanks to our own Le Grand Duc for the sample! and as MG says in her review, it's baroque and deep... and wonderful in small doses.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Guerlain Vetiver is one of my all-time favorite scents. I have both the new and older formulations, and find myself reaching for both of them quite often. But the new formulation IS different. I feel that the reformulation has a little less balance than the vintage, a little bit more citrus forward in the top, and skewed so that the nutmeg note comes on stronger than the rest of the spice. Perhaps a tweak to meet the current trend toward FRESH and CITRUS... Still, the reformulation is a great hot weather scent as it is a little "fresher"... but the vintage formulation is the classic grassy, spicy, woody, slightly humusy/earthy vetiver.

A side note about the GV scented all-over shampoo: I wish I knew where I could find an endless source of the old formulation's all-over shampoo, as it is the best product I've ever used on my hair and skin... it smells amazing and my hair is so shiny when I use it... I purchased the reformulation version which is quite different, both in smell and in how well it works... the new formulation is harsh and dries my skin and hair, whereas the old formulation was, well, perfect.

mumsy's avatar

Caesars Woman by Caesars World

I got this as part of a job lot of minis. A bit of a strong start, a bit sweet and fruity/floral perhaps, but not unpleasant. It rapidly turns spicy, then dries down to a very pleasant, innocuous, woody, incensy style perfume. I could imagine it being worn a long time ago, when scents were not so complex. I would wear this at christmas maybe, around a log fire with a woolly jumper on. I would be compelled to try this again to see if I felt the same way, second time around. A keeper for a little while for a play, but I have smelt many nicer things, so I shall not prefer it over them.

BayKAT's avatar

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

(Pure Parfum review)

Because I liked this in EDT, I wanted to try the parfum version. The parfum, on me, came out of the gate with... a fall on its face. Seriously, i couldn't smell anything. But i was heading out the door to see a movie (Inception) and couldn't apply another layer.

Two hours later, while siting in the theater, I was hit with a pure, dewy, oily-sweet note. At this point i thought it smelled exactly like N'aimez que moi, a similar rose/sandalwood composition. But after a while it became dryer, and very, very nice.

Have you ever flicked a styrofoam cup and gotten a 'thump'? This is how most commercial offerings wear to my nose. A flick to a glass mug adds a short vibrato to that thump and makes it crisper, and this is how alot of the better perfumes wear on me.

Caron (parfums) wear like Swarovski crystal. This is what's missing from the EDT version. Worth the extra $$, as always

06 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2010)

Noelle Pardieu's avatar

France France

Antaeus by Chanel

I fully agree wirh Diamondflame : testosterone, it is. As a woman, it is a real pleasure for me to wear it, especially in cold weather.

Index Pink Jasmine by Fresh

Agree about the cloying, sticky, lily of the valley: actually reminds my of my 4-year-old's Princess Aurora perfume. Sampled it (Pink Jaasmine, not Princess Aurora) before going out to dinner and spent 5 minutes in the bathroom at Eddie Merlot's trying to scrub it off. Kinda putrid, really. I don't think I get peony from it, because I like l'occitane's Peaonia. Is that supposed to be something different from peony, tho?)

Clean Provence by Clean

Delivers exactly what the description on the site and box reads. So If you don't like the scent of fine, French milled soap, don't buy this! I think it's heavenly; makes me feel like I'm on vacation in a historic European hotel.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Like the flower in full-bloom! Bottle design truly matches the frag: pretty and flowery. I agree, this would be good on crowds and as an everyday scent. I don't get the strawberry, but definitely the violet, gardenia, and white woods notes. Feel like gardening....

Miepmiep's avatar

Matthew Williamson Sheer by Matthew Williamson

On youtube there was a "my favorites perfume" video: I liked a lot of her perfumes and I knew all of them, but one. It was Matthew Williamson Sheer. So I really wanted to try it because it was her all time favorite and she seemed to like the same ingredients as I do.
    I found and bought it on Ebay, untried ;)
    And now.... now I am obsessing about it!
    It is beautiful!
    It develops so easy and almost like in steps: every note makes me sniff my wrist again and again.
    It is much more intriguing then all other mainstream perfumes I know, not simple, not flat, not just a view notes that punch you in the face but subtle, almost step by step you can enjoy it.

In the video she said it has been discontinued. Here in this topic it seems it is still in production... but on Ebay there were high prices so I don't know what to think.
    If you google well you can still find it for about 20 dollar without shipping.

Everything you want from a sexy femine perfume without being punguend or to sweet... but fresh/floral and the drydown is so soft, gorgeous!
    I love love love this one!

Thebigstinque's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

This one smells like nothing else - a citrus myrrh with a vaguely middle eastern allusion made without summoning that genie thug, aoud, from the lamp. (I swear if I see that sumbitch anytime soon, and he's not with Bob Hope, to hell with the bugle and the hounds, the shotgun is coming out of the closet...!).

Sophisticated, steadfast, lasting, soft-spoken but will not be shouted down by either time or the nearest wet mess. It changes just enough over the course of my day to keep my interest and remind me at dinner what I sprayed at 7:00 A.M. A scent that justifies calls for its auteur.

The name is another story. Apparently this stuff is named after the "hunting pinks" (actually reds - the French are so much better at colors) worn by the fox hunting crowd - with apologies to Oscar Wilde - the unspeakable who pursue the inedible. I'd like this scent much better if it didn't associate me with these "hunters" (methinks it's the horses, hounds and servants who do whatever little bit of hunting is done amid the clatter, petty trespass and frequent sips from a hip flask). In the meanwhile, I'll just spray it, and, if anyone asks, mumble the name. An enthusiastic thumbs up!

06 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2011)

soirdelune's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I did a double-take the first time I sniffed this scent; I seem to recall this was because I found it unaccountably 'plasticky'. Yet, like so many others here, I went back to it again and again and am now a firm and respectful fan.

Kelly Caleche is a superbly lightly-handled, translucent rose-y leather. It veils the skin very cleverly and pleasantly and lasts a surprisingly long time. It is cool (the orris note?), elegant and has an understated poise. I first appreciated its qualities when I wore it very happily to a job interview. Besides more formal and socially restrained occasions, Kelly Caleche is also good for weekend wear and especially for humid weather.

Charming.

06 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2012)

Golden Delicious by Demeter Fragrance Library

I’m not sure this smells golden delicious-ish, but it does smell apple-y. Apple is almost always an enjoyable aroma, and this scent belongs in the “pleasant” category. I don’t know why, but I have always thought of golden delicious apples as one of the least odoriferous types – in fact, I can hardly determine an odor from them. Demeter’s Golden Delicious smell apple-y, sweet, and fresh. It’s an enjoyable scent with typical horrid Demeter longevity. It’s a pleasant fragrance.

07 June, 2010

Bugatti Homme by Etorre Bugatti

Bugatti Pour Homme is paradox: On the one hand, it seems so familiar, typical, and ordinary. On the other hand I can’t think of a particular fragrance that it is similar to. Its list of notes is as common as a fragrance list can be: patchouli, cedar, vetiver, amber, vanilla, musk, tonka. I find it a nice fragrance at first but by the time I experience its base, it has become quite a synthetic and unidentifiable fragrance. I don’t actively dislike this fragrance, but I’m not interested in it, either, and its weak sillage and mediocre longevity make it a thumbs down.

07 June, 2010