Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Patchouli Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

I was surprised by the intensity of Patchouli Empire. Ordinarily I would think that a water-based perfume would have little projection or staying power. Not True! Patchouli Empire is a straightforward, uncomplicated, powerful patchouli. Surprise aside, I’m not very impressed by this patchouli because it is just too plain, simple, and direct. I usually enjoy patchouli in combination with other notes, but the patchouli in Patchouli Empire just doesn’t speak to me in a way that I relate to... But it’s a nice fragrance and a must try for the patchouli lover.

Banana Flambée by Demeter Fragrance Library

There are several things going on in Banana Flambée: a banana note (somewhat artificial), a caramel note, an orange note, and arum note. Together they form a yummy gourmand accord that is enjoyable at first, but it tends to cloy very quickly. It’s a decent representation of banana flambée, but I don’t think much of it as a personal fragrance – too foody and cloying. It has strong sillage for a short time, but then loses its strength, but for a Demeter it has good longevity.

Reflection Man by Amouage

My first sniff of Reflection Man was a complete turnoff… I am pretty much anosmic to pepper so I get no pepper or any other aromatic effect in the opening; nor do I get much of a floral effect. Reflection Man comes across to me as an uber-synthetic, metallic version of CK One – no kidding, this seems to me to be an annoying mess. My reaction doesn’t surprise me much: Amouage and I have traditionally had little in common. We just do not seem to have complementary chemistry… I guess I wasn’t built for the ultra-expensive.

Chocolat Frais by Il Profumo

I must have reviewed two dozen chocolate-noted fragrances. I don’t think I have a favorite one because they don’t seem to be highly differentiated. Chocolat Frais belongs with the other chocolate creations, but there are some minor variations: It has a fresh note but that doesn’t make it a fresh fragrance. It still smells mostly like a chocolate fragrance with some discreet, but well-chosen fruit notes. It has below average sillage and fairly decent longevity. Its fresh note is not spectacular, in fact it barely qualifies as “competent,” but, for someone looking to smell like chocolate, it is a fragrance worthy of sampling.

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

“Carrion” …huh? Well, I do get a hint of the obvious implication: I can recognize the stinky part of the opening, but it doesn’t come through very strongly for me so I find it easy to not comment on that particular miasma. The bubblegum shows up a little later, though, and moots the whole point of “carrion” or “bad breath” or whatever. I’ve experienced many fragrances with a bubblegum note (yawn), but this one offers a very decent one. This bubblegum comes with a light leather note that creates an accord that I find quite enjoyable: a little sweet and a bit animalic accord that is pleasantly conflicting, and, consequently, interesting. The florals of the heart provide another aromatic detour from the beginning malodor with a soft floral texture that is modern, engaging, and well done. The drydown is downright excellent in a soft, gentle vanilla, leather and musk accord. I thoroughly enjoy the basenotes of Charogne… And they provide adequate sillage but could use a bit more longevity. All things told… a very nice fragrance.

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Vetiver Dance and I are not compatible: I get an unpleasant combination of notes that I have difficulty identifying, and that I’d rather not smell. What I don’t smell is a substantial vetiver, and the remainder of the pyramid notes do not come across as individually discernible. I love vetiver, and I own over a dozen bottles of different vetiver dominant fragrances, but this one? No...

Baroque Bleu by Stacked Style

I saw the list of pyramid notes and thought that this just might be okay:

Green grass, Almond, Rhubarb, Rose, Gardenia, Tuberose, Lily of the Valley, Coconut, Neroli, Tonka Bean, Amber, Musk... Several notes that I enjoy there, and none that I dislike.

It isn’t okay. Ordinarily it would have me at “rhubarb” but in this case I can’t smell anything that smells like rhubarb… the same goes for “almond,” “rose,” “tuberose,” “lily of the valley,” “coconut,” “neroli,” and “musk.” The only notes that I can identify are grass, gardenia, tonka, and amber, but mostly gardenia… and the gardenia comes across as quite synthetic. The fragrance doesn’t have a lot of sillage, which I think is good in this case. It lasts quite long as a skin scent, but the nearer to the skin that I sniff, the more plastic it smells. Baroque Bleu is not totally terrible but they shouldn’t have teased me with that rhubarb claim… I had way too high of expectations.

Amber & Spices by Montale

My nose tells me that Amber and Spices is primarily an aoud fragrance. I don’t determine either the amber or the spices… I get Montale-aoud. This fragrance seems to be inspired by ennui, It is “Montale-generic” and the naming for what-it-is-not or its more obscure elements is another Montale habit, unfortunately. So… if you like the other Montale aoud scents, there’s a good chance you’ll like this one. If you didn’t like the other Montale aoud scents, you probably won’t like this one. I doubt that I’ll be going out of my way to test very many more Montales…

Pure Gold by Montale

A discreet fruity / light floral scent, nicely composed, nicely balanced between fruit and florals – I can’t quite distinguish the particular fruit and floral notes because it presents itself so lightly to my nose. Pure Gold smells a bit soapy and ends up with a light aura of white musk and a soft vanilla. It’s not the kind of fragrance that I admire but it might be one for a person who desires a soft, well-made, feminine fruity floral.

paolo74's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Probably the best aquatic scent. A 90's cult!

Twitchly's avatar

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

Starts off in HG territory for me, with the greenest of green openings, featuring mint, leaves, citrus rind, and just a hint of fig. As the lovely mint quickly fades, the fig grows but thankfully never becomes milky. After a few minutes, it turns into a figgy Pamplelune. Now, I love Pamplelune. But it does lend itself to the dreaded armpit note, as does this fragrance. If I just think of it as boxwood, I'm happier. Love boxwood. But in the end, you do have to have a high tolerance for skank to enjoy this scent. I'm remaining on the fence for now.

carlos-uk's avatar

Coconut by Body Shop

Top notes: - Coconut, coriander and coconut milk.
    Middle notes: - Coconut
    Base notes: - Coconut, vanilla and milky sandalwood.

As you can see, it certainly contains Coconut. The Coriander, Vanilla and Sandalwood give this a beautiful, sweet, creamy twist. Think of holidays in the sun and Hawaii'n Tropic Sun Tan oil and you've got it.

Now I suppose I should deal with the fact that I'm wearing it (I'm a guy). Let's be clear, this is a Female fragrance traditionally but I'm a sucker for anything that reeks of Coconut which means I wear this, I love it and I just don't care ;-)

It comes in a tiny 15ml bottle and is Perfume Oil. I promise you, one dab behind each ear and one dab on either wrist and you will be set for the day! The price belies the strength and quality of this. It's so economical. My method of applying fragrance is the usual 3 spritz chest routine so doing the dabbing thing was new to me. I did it and couldn't really smell anything. Then I left home for work and on my way in, suddenly it appeared out of nowhere. Not in a dominating, fanfare-ish kind of way but like the tide of a clear blue sea coming in very slowly.

It comes supported by a range of great products including Shower Gel, Body Scrub, Body Butter, Moisturising Lotion. All smell incredible and all have a great price.

I think Men can actually pull this off but it needs to be done with care. Apply very sparingly so it's just in the background and I think you'll not only get away with it but also notice a very different, strangely interested response from the people around you.

For the ladies, you can go mad with it and you'll smell beautiful regardless.

This to me is summer holidays overseas in a bottle. To try it is to fall for it's tropical, sun kissed, cocktails by the beach style charms. It's so good, you could almost pour it over Ice and sip it.

Seriously, give it a go!

odysseusm's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Not my kind of scent, but not as bad as I had feared. This starts as a sweet, watery scent. The 'water' here is like a pond rather than an aquatic-ozonic note. It is sheer, translucent, with green leafy notes which could be like water lily. Perhaps I can detect faint spices from time to time. I certainly don't detect any orange or orange blossom. The sweetness is hard to describe - it is not floral, not gourmand. It is a somewhat interesting light, sheer sweetness. Eventually the vanilla gets more prominent, and I say bye-bye.

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Notes: ivy leaves, cyclamen, geranium, green pepper, ambergris, palissander wood, musk.
    Well, I like this scent a lot! I think that any green fan should give it a try. It is SO green, in a leafy-fresh, crisp (even crunchy), sappy and slightly resinous way. Zing! (but not Dzing!). This is absolutely not sweet or floral, not is it painfully dry. It simply is a leafy scent, with the tangy bit of green pepper. I think CB I Hate Perfume tries to do this sort thing but does not succeed as well as Diptyque does here. If you like Sisley's Eau de Campagne, I am sure you'd like this. It is a simple scent, and quite satisfying. The dry down has light wood and musk notes which wear very well and on me has good longevity.
    It is not as herbal as Virgilio, but it is quite good.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I didn't really have high hopes for Louve, though I now see that my doubts were without foundation. I had a sample and I was prepared to use it on a quiet Sunday afternoon when there was no one to bother besides myself.

Oh my my my my! My first thought was "wine?" But not exactly. No wine ever smelled this rich and sweet. It was more like some fabulous apertif or brandy--Berry? Cherry? Spicy too--too gorgeous, too luxurious to be written off as just another gourmand.

Then, just as I was fully appreciating its intoxicating headiness, it all seemed to vanish. (Well, I thought, maybe I need a bigger sample.) Or did it? Throughout the rest of the day and evening an occasional whiff of sensual sweetness would creep up on me, and even after a lengthy nap (and competing with the BenGay rubbed into an extremely stiff and painful knee), it was clinging to the bedclothes, even lovelier than before!

Louve has great longevity (stronger and vastly more complex now than it was twelve hours ago) and a sillage that is sufficiently strong while not overpowering.

It is not often that I simply want to sneak off and smell myself, gratified by the thought that I truly smell beautiful--but I do when I'm wearing Louve.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Pure by Boadicea the Victorious

My first impression in testing Pure was "This smells pink." I was surprised at my own reaction, because I really don't know what it means to "smell pink," though I suppose it has to do with the citrus top notes that curiously seem to emphasize sweetness over the fruits' tangy qualities.

To be honest, it smells nothing like the notes that are listed above, and the notes LuckyScent lists for this fragrance are quite different: Bergamot, Sicilian lemon, green tangerine, Mediterranean cypress, basil leaves, Egyptian cumin, juniper berry, ylang ylang, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, vanilla. This seems far more accurate.

The spices kick in soon after the top notes, just enough to give it a bit more oomph, but they fade as the sweetened lemonade fruit notes expand.

Over all, Pure is a clean, fresh, and pleasant fragrance, more fruity than floral. I think it would be best for casual wear as there's something about it that feels not quite serious enough for business or formal use. The sillage isn't particularly strong, though, and I rather suspect that at $245 per bottle this is a high-priced variant of the typical tropical/fruity/holiday scents that can be had for much less.

Sensual's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Smells like some cleaner used at an elementary school...or a garage. Smells "old" and depressing.

These may have something to do with my early childhood. Your mileage may vary.

LaNose's avatar

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I can sum up this fragrance in two words: an enigma. I'm not sure I "get" this perfume. At once, it is many things and nothing (special); it has great complexity and subtlety, but an exceptional whole does not emerge from it's constituent parts; the elements are not transformed into something special.

I know I am tempting the wrathful fates when I say that for me, Le Parfum de Therese almost grabs me, but then I slip through her fingers. I want to love her; she's got great lineage and backstory, but after several tries, I'm at a loss in my ability to love her. At the best moments she reminds me of Guerlain's Paure, but without its depth or breadth. At other moments, I'm reminded of Chamade.

I know that this is Edmond Roudnitska's final masterpiece and, in part, that's why I want to love her but, for now, I'll have to live with the reality of just liking her; not so bad..

scentual1's avatar

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

This was a spontaneous purchase, I loved the initial freshness of the pear and thought it balanced nicely with the honey. It is incredibly original at first, but 30 minutes later becomes underwhelming and lost in a layer of straight musk. If the initial notes had some longevity to balance out the finish, I would feel differently about this one.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Lahana by Avon

Lahana.... I loved this when I was 12. It conjured up romantic island fantasies in my young mind and I went through one bottle of fume and at least one of the body creme. It was discontinued like, less than two years after its intro. I recently found a full vintage bottle and it is just as I remember, even if my tastes are not quite the same.

Lahana begins a very sweet tropical floral, like flowers decaying on the vine on a hot, humid day. Totally heady and totally synthetic (not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact.) It gets sweeter and sweeter, entering candy territory, but somehow never loses that hot tropical island feel. It's a little too much for the heat, though, and I've since found a far superior tropical floral. But in the winter and early spring, when I'm playing around the house, Lahana is fun to wear and still makes me feel like I'm escaping to a tropical paradise.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder

I love when fume love at first sniff happens! I had trouble with amber as a note initially, as neither Amber Extreme nor Ambre Sultan were anything close to right. I've learned, after persevering with this note, that my amber needs to be tempered with sweet. And in this case, the one that works best on me is the classic trio of amber, vanilla, and sandalwood.
    My skin will pull amber to the forefront in anything, and this fume is no exception. Amber Ylang-Ylang actually begins less sweet, with the ylang perfectly softening and making it a little bit creamy, but never dominating it. I now understand the warm comfort that amber so famously provides, and I want to go crawl under the sheets but for the fantastic sillage. AYY eventually mellows into that beautiful trio.
    In short, this perfume is like wrapping yourself in a lovely warm sweater on a brisk, sunny winter morning.

GourmandHomme's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I'm a habitual fabric-sprayer when it comes to 'fumes; and it is not until a few hours after I sprayed this one on that I can really appreciate its depth. It is as complex and well-balanced as Mitsouko - I imagine this is "Mitsouko sans oakmoss, but more oriental and orris!"

But I got ahead of myself. As for the opening - it's just beautiful. Opens like a great opera in that grand French manner, but not too dense like the awful 24 Faubourg or even the Yvresse (both were scrubbers on me).

Smelling the complex drydown is akin to finding out that the beautiful 30-something brunette in an impeccable Chanel suit who is quietly sipping a cocktail at an upscale hotel bar is also a fierce human-rights lawyer with a Doctorate and has a small tribal tattoo on a discreet location on her body. :)

Let's just say I liked it so much, I voted with my money and I ponied up for a full bottle. It is simply the most expensive perfume I ever owned on a per-ml basis so yes it hurts the wallet, but it is soo worth it.

07 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2010)

Purveyor of fine scents's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

Wanted to review my favorite frag...an incredible scent, not feminine AT ALL. The frag is also quite strong (use sparingly)

Opening is its most "overbearing" after a few hours it dies down and becomes incomparable to anything by Montale (No.88 as well), very confident frag, some reviews state they couldn't "pull it off" but IMO anyone could wear this.

Definitely not something I wear everyday though, which always makes this one special when I do reach for it.

TropiRock's avatar

Rush for Men by Gucci

When you apply that first spritz of Rush For Men, you'll be surrounded by a beautiful, ethereal fragrance. Delightful, with a sweet, "creamy" sort of cedar note that dominates. I would draw a slight comparison to Tam Dao, or to Azzaro Visit. To my nose, it's wonderful. But within 15 minutes or less, Rush has faded into nothingness. Very, very weak longevity and since RFM is now so limited in availability, it's just not worth the asking price. Love the smell, hate the ridiculously short duration.

TropiRock's avatar

Burberry London for Men Special Edition by Burberry

Fruity, fresh - OK, but not compelling. At a much cheaper price, I suggest either Varvatos or better yet, Corduroy by Zirh. The latter, especially, is a bargain, has a comparable fragrance, far better sillage and immensely better longevity. I'm not sure what makes this a "Special Edition", except for perhaps the cheap brown plastic wrap around the bottle. No point wasting your money, unless you want to smell OK for an hour or so.

pcrisp's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

One of the best fragrances that I have ever experienced. Everyone around me likes it and the projection and longevity work greatfor me. I can get strong lasting smell even after 10 hours, with only one spritz. The Creeds are the only thing so far that give me the really long lasting longevity. I can't even start to describe the smell (maybe sporty, aquatic and attractive all wrapped into one?), just try it for yourself.

Derbyman's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A classic aromatic fougere created in 1973 (the year I was born!) - this distinctive, masculine fragrance is fresh and 'green' drying down into a clean, soapy accord with notes of honey, tobacco and pine. Reportedly the inspiration behind the creation of Azzaro Pour Homme which surfaced three years later. Shares many similarities with Azzaro Pour Homme, however, if the Azzaro is warm, sunny and 'orange' in feel, Paco Rabanne is clean, fresh and 'green' whilst projecting a similar 'barbershop' vibe. Good longevity whilst staying quite close to the skin. Very much of its time but classic, not dated! Would never be without it!

BayKAT's avatar

Ophelia by Heeley

When I dabbed on Ophelia an image immediately popped into my head: the six of cups card from the Tarot deck.

This is the card of childhood innocence, kindness and charity, and purity of thought. This is the card of Ophelia.

This is one of the most subtle, fragrant green florals I have ever smelled. The green notes aren't spelled out but to me it is earthy like violet. Tuberose is listed, and I am very sensitive to sweetness but here it does not dominate.

This scent is like a chewy green, not sharp like tree bark, nor bitter like citrus; but firm and robust (and a bit watery), like the smell I get when I walk through the redwood forests and pluck moss from the trees.

It's more than a skin scent and stops way short of announcing your entry. Longevity is good and quaility is up there. Love it.

Italian drummer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

This is a wonderfull cologne. Smells like a spicier version of Animale for men and Polo Sport.
    No doubts about girls loving this stuff because Very Sexy Him is warm, sexy and it smells very good!
    But I'm not giving thumbs up because this lasts for only 3 or 4 hours. I'd be glad if Victoria's Secret make a "extreme" version of this.

Italian drummer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

Like some reviewers said before, Eau de Cartier Concentree opens green and floral. I can smell violet for a long time and this note makes Concentree to be a more feminine scent than unisex.
    Despite of being more suitable for women than men, this is a great cologne, very fresh and clean. It also lasts long and has a good silage.