Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Italian drummer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Unforgivable by Sean John

Some years ago a friend of mine gave me a sample of Creed's Millesime Imperial and I loved it. For me it was a sensual and charming scent that I never had smelled before.
    Recently I bought Unforgivable and for my surprise it reminds me that wonderfull scent I found on Millesime Imperial.
    I can smell alcholic notes on Unforgivable like champagne and rum.
    Unfortunatelly it doesn't last as long as I'd like and silage is not so good either, but Unforgivable always will have a place in my collection.
    Highly recommended!

NDN-01's avatar

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

Wow! This is amazingly terrible. My first scrubber. I diligently tried this one with several samplings and two full wears and I can truthfully say this is awful. It's worth having just to know how bad it is. There is some wierd sythetic note in it similar to the smell of 99Bananas liquer that grates on me. It's like the smell gets stuck in the back of my throut and I can't cough it out. Blech!!!

This is like an attempt at Ocean Rain gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Strangely enough, my wife likes it on me (?!?!?!?), no offense intended to anyone who likes it, but I wont even wear it for her.

07 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2010)

philmcphe's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love this fragrance, I usually detest strong gourmand notes in something but here it's just so good and works so well with the other notes I can't help but love it. Even when I'm not wearing it for the day I can't help but take a quick whiff of the sprayer. Has excellent longevity, I easily get eight strong hours out of it on my skin and it lasts about five days on clothes. This is the only fragrance I've ever worn that I got a compliment on from a stranger. Bottled poetry is the only way I know how to sum it up, I will definitely be buying a bell jar of this once my 50ml runs out.

shamama's avatar

High Line by Bond No. 9

This is an energizing, fresh green floral -- I adore it.

cubs1987's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I recently tried this at a local shop. I was psyched when I found it, as I have never seen it before. I sprayed it on a tester strip and really liked it. I was about to buy it, but thought better of it and sprayed it on my skin. I liked the opening, but after about 5-10 minutes, all I could smell was lavender... lots of lavender. Wasn't too pleased with this development, so I waited a little longer. After about 20-30 min, it just turned to powder on me. To sum up, good opening, then goes to lavender powder. Not what I am looking for in a scent.

Wendie's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

At first spritz, how pleasantly refreshing to find a true grapefruit, sans anything overly sweet. Just a crisp refreshing jolt of sunshine and cleanliness. Like crisp linens dancing on the line. Grapefruit as in many true natural fragrances is very difficult to reproduce well enough to fool the nose.
    Rose, vetiver, and lavender I find are rather hard to be true to as well. This gift by Guerlain is just that, a gift. To comment on the sourness, yes, I must admit it is there, but then again, this is a frag. that is shooting to be as true a replication of something organic as possible, and well, as for that, we are also organic. Though the reason fragrances came about was to mask this problem. Not sure how this issue can be avoided, without loosing the truth of the Pamplelune. I know how you fell though, yes, it is disconcerting when you are trying to smell as fresh,crisp and clean as a late summer breeze, when the winds of change blow by and you begin wonder if this was the best choice of fragrance for that sleeveless gown at cousin Ceilia's wedding...???

T I do say I have had to finally agree with the unfortunate sour, almost shockingly unpleasant undertones of how shall we say, " Eau de Bathe, s'il voussoirs plait! ".

Thebigstinque's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

There is no Knize Eleven for the same reason there is no eighth day - the Creator has spoken. I've never used this stuff as a spray. Instead I dip and dab with the feed tube of the sprayer. It encourages sparing use, and that, as it turns out, is good advice.

Apparently the "leather" component of the scent comes from birch tar which is rectified, reprimanded or, if unavoidable, spoken to in French to get the required note. If that's the case, then they must have burned the outhouse down (a 2-seater) to get this one. At first dab, she's a stinker! Hang in for 90 seconds or so and the smoke clears to reward you with a rich musk/citrus/floral middle and a vestige of the smoky "leather" - the unpolished among us just call it "insurance fire" - tone.

It's easy to pan the napalm opening but, considering that this formula pre-dates the wheel, and probably, near-universal access to showers, bathing as a daily activity, general use of both scented and scent-reducing products and media focus on creating a "need" for same, I am reminded that KT is no doubt a child of its times and had to blow something up to be heard. That said, in the modern context, it's a mix that rewards patience and a light hand with something you won't find anywhere else. Thumbs up from me.

07 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

For me, this is a distinctive and slightly odd scent. It is quite dry, with notes of gunpowder, smoke, resin, rubber, and black pepper. At times, it reminds me of Trussardi White, but it is not as creamy and more tangy and bold. Interesting, to be sure. I'm not ruling it out... but I'm not rushing to buy it just yet.

cheryl's avatar

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

I approached this as a blank slate -- ie I had forgotten what it was supposed to be like, and I felt it to be a fantastic incense. (It smells similar to the Japanese style of incense/dry and well blended). There is no soft sweetness here, nor sharp citrus or herb notes. It is just a tightly-woven quality masculine. Ok...!... LEATHER..not frankincense...very well done.

Worth1969's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

Absolutely stunning!
    The original formaulation is
    One of the few women's fragrances that I would consider timeless.

Bought this for a girlfriend in the 90's and the combination of this fragrance and her natural Brazilian flavor was just intoxicating! We were only together for a month, but the scent of Samsara lingered on for years afterward. Tempted to buy for my current girlfriend, but in all honesty, I think the formula has changed and I'm not so sure it would go with her chemistry.

Samsara, one of the sexiest women's fragrances ever!

Samsara

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2010)

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

This is one wonderful modern chypre. I wlll not whine about oakmoss or the lack of ...instead I will say that what hits me with this perfume is not a perfume note or a smell but a place, and abstract image of a room -closed windows but smelling of a personal space, somwhere lived in but lived in style and luxury .
    It could even be of a closet where clothes hang smelling of powder and the dry downs of many perfumes. So many parties ,so much joy still lingering on ,on those clothes and within the walls of that room.
    It is a glorious smell and very intimate.

No. 18 by Chanel

Chanel No. 18 is one of my favorites of the Les Exclusifs .It's delicate, sweet, a paradox and quite mysterious to me. Old fashioned yet modern, powdery yet with a metallic edge.
    Rose,cold iris ,ambrette and musk - beautifully done .This is so 'pretty' however I do think a man could wear this too .

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

One thing's for sure, I can smell the fabulous citrus notes and the neroli is quite beautiful. Initailly I was reminded of the excellent traditional 4711 cologne I use for mosquito bites (!) ..... then the neroli comes in and this scent is sweetness and light. Perfect . I do not expect much lasting power from this and as this comes in massive brick style 200 ml bottles, spritz away to your heart's content and never mind about the longevity !
    Freedom is 200 mls of Chanel Eau de Cologne !

RubenC's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a very nice aquatic that settles into a more refined soft spice in the dry down. Not a floral as other posters may suggest, you want floral try Guerlain. Definite longevity is a plus.

JessicaGrace's avatar

Ysatis by Givenchy

To me, a melange of flat, undefined woody notes with a top layer of excess sweetness trying to give it character. There was a phase toward the beginning where I briefly smelled salty rose and creamy lemon. That was nice, but fleeting. One of the least interesting perfumes I've smelled in a long time. Possibly I'm encountering the reformulated version. I've heard the original is better.

shamu1's avatar

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

Lavender. That's really all this is, and that's a beautiful thing. It smells like there is some lime blended into this to add even more freshness, but there is nothing in this to disguise the lavender.

I love Agua Lavanda because it's so pure, raw and natural. This is a fragrance for LAVENDER LOVERS ONLY. There are no wimpy fig notes, woody amber, marine notes, etc., to hide the rawness of the pure lavender in this. The citrus, moss and other notes are not independently noticeable; they are there simply to bring out the lavender's earthiness and sharpness, and to act as fixatives.

Lavenders typically have weak longevity, and Agua Lavanda is no exception. It requires reapplication during the day, but who cares? Reapplication is part of the whole joy of wearing Agua Lavanda! Bring your bottle to work!

I wear this every day when I get home from work, and I look forward to splashing this on when I walk through the door. Agua Lavanda is so refreshing and soothing, and it rejuvenates the soul.

I think this is the perfect pure lavender fragrance.

MY RATING: 10/10

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2010)

shamu1's avatar

Hummer by Hummer

Surprisingly very nice scent! I don't like the opening blast of citrus and lavender because it's got a loud sport cologne freshness that I don't like and feel I'm too old to pull of wearing. I don't understand why lavender and citrus are not listed in the pyramid, because they're so obviously contained in this fragrance. Though it's not a powerhouse frag, don't spray this on too much or else you will smell totally obnoxious.

After the citrus fades Hummer mellows out into a very nice sweet lavender scent with woody and mossy green notes blended in. In fact what I like most about Hummer is that it smells greener as it evolves over time, even though there are no green notes listed in the pyramid. I can smell the woody and spicy notes in the pyramid when the drydown arrives. The drydown is very good, and is the spiciest and best phase of the scent.

This is not a particularly unique fragrance and it does have some of that generic sport fragrance vibe to it, but there's more substance in this than your average sports fragrance. Its spiciness in the drydown is what separates Hummer from the boring sports frags. Awesome heavy glass bottle!

P.S. I HATE HUMMERS!!!

MY RATING: 7.5/10

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2010)

TropiRock's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

If you want an accurate description of Ungaro III, just read the excellent review written by Off-Scenter (previously Vibert?). It's spot on and I couldn't agree more with the assessment. We all perceive fragrances differently from one another, but I surely don't see Ungaro III as any sort of ominous, brooding fragrance. Rather, it is spicy, fruity and masculine. A real joy to behold, but unfortunately not of the greatest longevity on my skin. Sillage is good, though, while it lasts. I'd say this could pass as a close cousin to RL Safari for Men. I enjoy both.

johnbarnone's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I don' know.Maybe it's just me,but in my 45 year catalog of fragrances this is very similar to the old standby Canoe ,by Dana.Anyone else make that comparison?...johnbarnone

suzi2qs's avatar

L by Lolita Lempicka

This scent makes me think of trips to Cape Ann. Massachusetts. The salty air, my husband consuming way too much salt water taffy from that famous candy shop on Bearskin Neck in Rockport, the vanilla candles we burn in the motel, me cutting lemons in the kitchenette for our freshly boiled lobsters.
    No, there is no seafood note in this fragrance which is a good thing. What I get is a slightly salty vanilla/musk with just enough citrus to give it sparkle. I am not picking up alot of spice and thats alright. This is very different from the dark, brooding scents I gravitate toward. I am not a big fan of citrus notes but I like L. It is not too heavy and not at all cloying. The projection is average for modern fragrances so I have to apply quite a bit to be satisfied. Overall I have to give this a thumbs up. It reminds me of the shore rather than a beach. No suntan oil, tropical drinks or fruit salads. Just a salty, easy to wear reminder of New England.

jc4310's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Homme Exceptionnel by Montblanc

AMAZING scent, but I think could be stronger. Btw, 5 stars.

cockyroach's avatar

Sables by Annick Goutal

The Creme Brulee (burnt cream) of cologne

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Essentially a beautiful and interesting soft amber. Begins lemony woody, with lavender and liquorice quickily coming through, then after a time the dry down of vanilla and amber with cedar and floral notes. I am not a huge fan of vanilla but this is soft and integral to the drydown. It does not overwhelm. I don't find this fragrance too sweet as some others do. I agree wth Jenson that 1725 may seem almost linear but in fact it is far from that. It does develop quickly but with nuance and interest which continues throughout.

05/04/2011, Hmm, I am playing with my sample box of Histoire De parfum again and every time I smell 1725 I have the same thought. I wonder if this is what Casanova smelled like? Given his era - and his reported proclivities..... I think probably not. BUT it may be how his rooms smelled. Why? Old fashioned furniture polish! Before the days when we cleaned our house with antibacterial chemicals our rooms may well have smelled like this, old mellow wood, lemon and lavender, with the amber and vanilla filling the space of beeswax. Beautiful.

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2011)

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

Huge boozy opening. Top notes are listed as Davana Sensualis, and Bergamot, but I get a big blast of whisky and rum!. Very soon after the leather comes through with a vengeance. The leather is strong and old fashioned as with Santa Maria Novella's Peau D'Espagne, then pipe tobacco and a lovely dusty note, the immortelle. This is inspired by 1740 and the Marquis de Sade but for me it conjures images of the early days of motor car racing, or really early James Bond. Booze, tobacco and leather. Not my own favourite of this wonderful range but fabulous none the less.

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2012)

Ysatis by Givenchy

Classisism, Paris, Haute-Couture. An elegant woman, ageless, her dress is black with a touch of purple. One of the best Givenchys still on the market, for those who love older power-house fragrances like 24, Faubourg, Boucheron, First - to name just a few.

Aperçu by Houbigant

In the Persian language, you call a person who lacks in temperament "salt-less". Obviously, there's a parallel to the Spanish perception of a "salty person" so wonderfully pointed out by Hillaire in her review of the scent.
    Apercu is a gorgeous, original perfume. The first deep sniff you take of it will tell you what an outstanding creation this is. It is a chypre with a very radiant touch, not sharp or biting, but stylish and elegant. Highly recommended - grab it while you can.

Benghal by Lancôme

Nice. A mixture of fruity notes (apricot, melon) and spices (ginger, a hint of cinnamon). On my skin, it is surprisingly long-lasting and perfect for daywear in summer. Neither outstanding nor brilliant, it is refreshing and much better than many of the Escada-Fruit-Salad scents sold everywhere. Since it as been discontinued, stock up on it if you are into this kind of fragrances.

Eaudemoiselle by Givenchy

An easy crowd-pleaser. Does have a slight retro-touch, not in the least unpleasant or offensive, not edgy...- a nice fragrance for uncomplicated women which gives you a break from many of the very cloying and claustrophobic scents released in the past (think Boss, Lancome etc.). Nicely crafted, but totally unobtrusive in comparison to Ysatis or Organza Décadence. In perfumes, one of my mottos is "No risk- no fun". That's why the new Givenchy seems a trifle boring to me. It is too well-behaved and too conventional for my taste.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Big 'meh' after finally trying this one out. Not that it's a bad fragrance for teenagers or young adults, it's just that this theme, a woody aquatic, has been done before.

I can imagine a lot of teenage girls swooning for this one.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Very mellow, mild woody oriental with a saffron twist.

It's not loud at all, just a woody, slightly-slightly medicinal heart with saffron. More formal than fun. In the beginning there is some tartness, but this subsides quickly when moving into the middle notes.

It's okay, I suppose.