Fragrance Reviews from June 2010

Black Sun by Salvador Dali

<><><><><>Salvador Dali Black Sun
    The basil is controlled by a labanum / cedar accord creating a unique and interesting masculine opening. This slightly resinous green accord gives an aromatic halo with a creamy resinousness, creating an edgy, near off-putting interpretation of “masculine.” I love the opening for its creativity even more than for its aroma. But the initial creative surge is lost when the nutmeg in the heart notes runs rampant over the sage and fir: I tend to dislike excesses of basil and / or nutmeg in fragrances… in Black Sun the basil is handled nicely with its combination with labdamun / cedar; but the nutmeg, which should be more muted by the sage and fir, escapes to dominate too much to my nose. The end of the middle accord goes a bit too sour and synthetic. The base’s vanilla, too, is ill-used. It comes off to my nose as too sharp and synthetic.

I wish that the quality of ingredients of Dali fragrances matched their creative inspiration – they would be brilliant fragrances. But to my nose many of their fragrances too often turn plastic and synthetic… Black Sun entices with its creativity and energy, then all too soon disappoints with its synthetic ambiances. Good sillage and decent longevity.

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

The lavender / green tea doesn’t work on my skin: on test paper it smells okay, but on my skin it comes across as synthetic to the point of being quite annoying to me... It smells almost like the openings of several of those automobile fragrances. As usual, I don’t get much pepper in the middle level and the middle level coriander doesn’t help the synthetic nature of the opening get any better. I feel that the top and middle are overdone and can easily turn cloying. I like the drydown better than the earlier levels: I guess the labdanum / incense note fulfill my resinous loving preferences. I can still smell the lavender toward the end of the drydown, but it’s more palatable, and I don’t mind the way the lavender comes across in the base.

Sillage is a little weak but it has very good longevity. I preferred the original F pour Homme.

kewart's avatar

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

Pure class and olfactory heaven!
    This is a masterclass in perfumery and so expensive I
    only have a small sample, which I shall attempt to make
    last for as long as I can.
    Cashmery,snuggly, sensuous and so much more.
    When I win the lottery, this will be top of my wishlist.

Eklectic1's avatar

Heaven Sent (original) by Dana

The original Heaven Sent is worth seeking anywhere. Do not accept modern imitations...my first foray into Heaven Sent territory was in the mid-70s, with a tiny bottle my mother had. She said it was the scent she wore back in high school...I started wearing it too. Fell in love with it. I have a scent memory of it that won't go away. Bought it all through the 70s...then I got away from the soft, young girl stuff, and fell into the 80s with Obsession, Cinnabar, Opium, and all the intensely spicy ones popular then, meant for women who wore big shoulder pads and big hair. (I kept receiving these as gifts. I don't remember buying any of those for myself, but I still liked them.) How I miss the original Heaven Sent...back to girlish days...well, it's me off to Ebay to find it now!

HDS1963's avatar

KL Homme by Lagerfeld

By Man, Gucci Nobile and yes KL Homme.

This is a beautiful woody oriental that blends so smoothly to a dry down that is rich in vanilla and oriental spices. It's has elements of the best parts of the Lagerfeld Classic drydown, but is smoother than honey running down velvet.

It's beautiful and should never have been discontinued. I have a bottle. I want more, but sadly the world's stocks are running very very low.

And that, my friends, is a crime.

Sensual's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Smelled wonderful on the card -- fresh, green, rich and gripping; all notes forming a harmonious chord (a quality I love). On me, it develops an odd, cumin-like note and smells cheap -- (I suspect the violet), doesn't last and sillage is poor. My diet is not spicy and is plant based, so I have no idea what causes this.

One of the philosophical questions that arises when reviewing, is "Do I review the fragrance as it exists unto itself or how it works on me?" Hence, the neutral thumb.

blondex199667's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

First impressions my butt! If you see my first review of Carnal Flower you'll know exactly what I mean. But, I gave it another try, and I "got" it. Well I didn't just get it, I fell dizzyingly in love with it!
    This is tuberose in all her shimmering glory. All the notes you've heard about are there: the camphorous, chilling opening, the crush of living foliage threaded through the tuberose heart, the coconut quivering about the edges with a musk so crystalline "white" doesn't do it justice; more like platinum.
    Carnal Flower is more than a masterpiece, more than an icon. It is pleasure in a bottle. It is explosively gorgeous. Carnal Flower is just perfection.

10th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2010)

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

A wonderful tobacco and boozy blend, similar to Remy Latour's Cigar. Descriptions made by reviewers are accurate: it is linear and it short lived, a perfect choice when looking for a masculine and not overpowering fragrance - for example, to be worn in the morning before training, after a shower or when among people that do not like strong scents.

It has a kind of formal and old-school aura, strong at first due to fleeting notes of citrousy tobacco that are evident even to non-experts. The drydown is very subtle, the strength of the patchouly is restrained so Cuba Red wearers are not to be afraid of smelling like a pot-head in disguise. For the price, one of the best values for money, besides the fact you won't be among the millions of calone or chocolate / patchouly lovers

belleotero's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Holy mother of god, this is amazing. And it's just the edt! - the most delicate spritz of which is enough. It's unbelievably sumptuous, rich and complex, & it smells very old-school to me, like a vintage Guerlain. When I was a teenager my mother wore this for a while, but I didn't like it then, either on her or me. I suspect it's not just my taste but my body chemistry that's changed (back then Samsara was my oh-god-what-are-you-wearing-that's-divine! scent, but it no longer works on me). I get a fair bit of bergamot and orange peel in the top, which is beautifully blended with the rest of the perfume; then intense amber and myrrh together with something else that's faintly sweaty (celery/cumin?) at certain moments, but works, together with a blended floral (I can't pick out jasmine or any of the other notes mentioned); and a very dry vanilla something like Shalimar's plus what I could swear is sandalwood though it isn't listed as a note. I haven't even gotten to the drydown yet because I've been compulsively re-spraying it to smell on myself every evening since I got it (too strong for work) -- it is just to die for.

TropiRock's avatar

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

Every time I read the reviews of this fragrance or that, I have learned to expect a broad spectrum of differing opinions. In that respect, Equus doesn't disappoint! Some describe it as bold and spicy, some as mild. Some describe towering longevity, while others complain of its brief lifespan. I have come to the conclusion that either our noses are not all constructed equally, or that perhaps the scents themselves are changing over time (old stock?), or that the manufacturing of some colognes is not...um.....scientifically precise. Or maybe the formula gets "tweaked" occasionally. Who knows, but If a lesson is to be learned, it is that beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. Heed the wise advice from some of our esteemed fellow basenoters: try before you buy!

Now -- here is my own experience with Lalique pour Homme Equus. It is simply a beautiful, soft fragrance - not too spicy - lovely marriage between cedar notes and musk - and extremely shy. Sillage is off the low end of the chart, weak enough to be nearly nonexistent. Longevity is hard to judge because the sillage is so weak. (If I can't smell it, how can I judge the lifespan?). For that reason and that alone, I'm giving this a neutral rating. Wonderful smell, but very weak.

JRR4's avatar

Harrods for Him by Bond No. 9

I'm not a cologne expert by any means, just a regular guy who knows what smells good to me and on me and I love Harrods for Him. It's light, airy, and fresh.

I only wear Bond No 9 colognes and currently own and wear Harrods for Him, Saks for Him, Riverside Drive, Silver Factory and Brooklyn. Of the five, Harrods and Riverside are my favorite warm weather scents and Silver Factory is my cool weather or late night choice.

When I travel from GA to NYC I visit Diana at the Bond St store. She's a big help.

D.Sprad's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

The beginning is rough - I'm talking draw-blood rough. It's best to sit this one until it begins to dry down, as it's just not tolerable at the start.Then, the middle notes come out and shine - if you don't mind the tar, you'll find it an interesting accord to a cologne like this. The drydown is truly wonderful to me, it's just a sweet, smooth scent that lasts for years. I've seen two sprays go nearly a full day, now that's longevity! Provided you didn't overdo it, those two sprays can be your own personal slice of paradise, as well... I don't find it too enjoyable on paper, but on the skin, it's different. I don't know how many have been turned away from a disappointing paper-scent, but it's unfortunate. Many males I know and see don't like this fragrance - they find it too sweet, or too feminine, or too... whatever? I have yet, however, to find a lady that doesn't like this on a person. I must say, wonderful scent, great longevity, great projection. Thumbs-up, without a doubt!

QiStar's avatar

Flame by Burger King

My coworker has this delightful fragrance and unfortunately some was sprayed on me. Smells primarily of charcoal grill, not really burger. Not that bad, but nothing I'd choose to smell.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Ya ever hear someone say "I tried to like this"? This be the situation with Zino for me. I didn't try once, I tried 5 times. I just don't see how anybody can tolerate this, nonetheless love it. It is powerful, so in the bottle it smells just okay, but once it hits my skin, it's all downhill. I sprayed it on some test strips as well to see if it was just my skin chemistry that disliked Zino and made it stink so bad, but the test strip seem to feel the same way, and so did my bro and mom when I asked them.

I heard it was discontinued so I figured I'd grab a bottle when I saw it on sale (blind buy). Fortunately it was about 14 bucks for 1 oz, and thank god I don't have more than an oz.

The smell itself to me smells like the rottenest fruits, and garbage. This is all I can think of, not to mention it projects significantly, so not only will you smell like a trash can full of old plums and apples, but so will everyone else around you. After about 30-45 mins it does settle down and become okay, but it's not worth the wait to me, BARF!

Hai_Karate_Kid's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

IMHO : AWESOME ! I currently wear this frag almost daily. Thumbs way up ! Chanel so top quality of course. It is VERY, VERY CAPTIVATING TO MY NOSE ! I like every note, and feel they all blend so well together to achieve the image Chanel attempts to capture in this frag. Sadly, I think this is possibly a limited release frag. If so, that sucks ! Can anyone confirm this ?

Chanle's relatively new (2008) little gem from the Allure line is catagorized as an "Oriental" frag. Ok fine, but just like Allure sport pour homme, some notes in this make me feel it could pass as a 'fresh' smelling frag. Ginger and vanilla blends well, nice balance of sharp and soft notes throughout too. Lemon and pepper notes spice things up. This is very elegant smelling frag. It lasts quite a while on my skin and the notes provide just enough kick and staying power. I really like that in a frag. It was on my wish list one day, then I broke down the very next day to buy a bottle and never looked back.

Note : Below has nothing to do with the frag itself, but want to share a story...

The Chanel rep who sold me the bottle was really nice and fire smoking hot to boot ! We chatted for a bit about how Chanel rarely gives promo items away and she then found a few trinkets and a few samples of other frags in the Allure line that I already had (but are great for travel use).

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm not here to pray but, thank the good Lord for Chanel girls !

:D

10th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2010)

philmcphe's avatar

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

Probably the only By Kilian I like, very feminine in the opening, on my skin though it dries into something incredibly sensual and masculine. The kind of guy that would wear this and pull it off is the kind that has a heart shaped bed with red silk sheets on it. I have the red silk sheets and some boxers to match that I get complimented on quite often, so I guess I can justify wearing this every now and then :-p

JeanieE's avatar

Harajuku Lovers - G by Gwen Stefani

Wow! Can't believe someone else smelled the "slightly burned plastic" heart note!! I wasn't patient enough: in the store I was enamored with the coconut and magnolia (which I thought was more on top than mid) and didn't wait around ong enough to experience the rest of the story. Not sure this was a smart buy after all, especially after I opened the box and realized it is all statue of a strange little blond girl in fishnet stockings. Oh, and a touch of perfume under her feet.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I give this a neutral because the coffee and vanilla notes reminded me of having coffee with dad as a teenager in the morning before school. (I was always late on those days, like it mattered...) It's so artificial-smelling, and though it's much better in terms of completeness than the women's Angel, this one just isn't for me. I returned it to Nordstroms after 2 weeks of use in order to buy my best friend and his little sister L'eau D'Issey PH and FlowerBomb giftsets. (for his college graduation and her high school graduation, respectively) Still, A*Men's metallic bottle is super cool. That and the beforementioned coffee note saved this from a thumbs down

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It's pretty interesting with this crisp, slightly aldehydic quality. Wish it could have been a little less sweet though

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Nice scent with a unique caramel apple accord in the heart. On my skin, it actually developed from citrusses, to caramel apple, to woods, and was really exciting to wear. Who told me to test this out on myself? My friend's dad, straight as a line like me, and also completely fearless. (He also owns a bottle.) Rock on, Mr. Drylie, rock on.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This is the best Chanel Allure Pour Homme out there. Very warm, creamy, and citrussy. Also very original I think. A foreign exchange student from Switzerland at my school said she could always tell it was me because she could smell AEB. I kinda miss it, and am thinking of buying a new bottle of this.

Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma

Reminds me when I take a lemon wedge and squeeze it into my glass of water at a restaurant! All the lemon oils stick to my hands through the night. This makes me feel right at home, but I think I might need to buy the body lotion and use it with the EDT in order to get more lasting power out of it...

songstress3's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I bought this for my partner's bday after smelling it on a test card, risky without trying it on him first. But what a lucky strike! It smells absolutely DELISCIOUS on him!! Whenever he wears it I can't help sniffing him over and over, just to get more of that wonderful warm, slightly spicy slightly citrusy smell. He used to wear Hugo years ago when we met, and I liked it then but in more recent years I really went off it for some reason. Don't you love when a man smells so good you can't stop sniffing him? Now since wearing Code, he has been asked by quite a few women what he's wearing or told he smells lovely doesn't make me jealous. That makes me pleased I picked him the perfect scent!

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone is a truly sophisticated man's fragrance. I love this juice, it has such a fresh and clean yet grown up and well dressed effect.

Some may say this is somewhat safe - as in everyone you encounter when wearing a liberal dose applied will love this.

If a Gentleman wants their fellow men to respect and admire them whilst having ladies attracted and drawn to them in a completely unconscious and subliminal manner this scent wouldn't be too far from the bottle to use to conjure this magic. It may seem simplistic but this simplicity holds a trick or two up it's tailored sleeve. A conservative but ever so seductive juice.

This won't challenge and perhaps won't do it for the niche and unique lover of scents but will certainly have a desirable effect. This is clean, fresh, tenacious and will see you thorough the day.

Simple, sophisticated and oh so sexy for a man.

Not sure how would work on a women perhaps layered with other JM but in my opinion not alone.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This Creed was one the first of my premium luxury purchases, I first encountered this in a perfumery in Monaco and it blew me away.

This had a huge effect on me back in the early Noughties in Monte Carlo, I bought it on the spot and spent the following week in the Principality wearing this. I was staying at a friends apartment and traveling alone so it was very personal experience.

I found the scent overwhelming and totally addictive. I remember spraying liberally, followed by feelings of 'Oh God I've over done it'. This was followed by that subsiding and then re-applying liberally. I loved the green overload of notes and encompassing aura of quality. Perhaps it was the temperature and setting of Monte Carlo but it just smelt of money and sophistication.

Fast forward 10 years - I still wear this on occasion, have this in my collection and enjoy GIT. However, once a friend and expert on fragrance explained it was Calone that drove GIT but was also the main driving force of Davidoff Cool Water, (something I never owned), the spell was destined to be broken.

I bought Cool Water the next time I was in Heathrow Duty Free and it changed my love of GIT.

After this education I felt the two fragrances are clearly different but just too similar. They take me to different places - GIT is a Saville Row suit with Cool Water the diffusion line at the High Street Store by the same designer.

Once I realised it was Calone driving both these scents in such a major way it made me think twice about spending at least 4 times as much for the Creed offering. It also lost the allure of the special quality of GIT.

I have to say I love both of these scents in different ways but the similarities sadly diminishes my love for GIT. This is not only due to price, although this is certainly a factor. I feel that a niche and luxury scent with a corresponding price tag has to have a unique selling point beyond something so close to a blockbuster mens fragrance. It seems the fabulous synthetic Calone is the USP of both of these - albeit worked differently but too closely to give GIT a real Thumbs Up.

A love affair that is lovely to remember but was ruined by the equally sexy, cheaper cousin of the original.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

A classic beautiful old school lavender.

A crisp 'suit and tie' of a scent. This is how I imagine the most conservative, starched, handsome and beautifully dressed French man would smell. Gorgeous, well crafted, long lasting with a very strong initial blast that I find requires application a good 20 minutes prior to leaving home to prevent overpowering my driver or fellow tube passengers, (although some days I love to overpower the general public).

Develops into a warm, attractive vanilla / lavender with almost edible quality. Great male conservative staple - this scent lasts all day and gives a noticeable aura of a true quality scent. Caron Pour Un Homme for me gives the wearer a sense of elegance and understatement even when it is screaming 'look at me' in it's initial blasts.

gr3g's avatar

Poland Poland

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

For me is pretty nice scent, herbal, fresh and sweet.
    I don't know why but many girls love this parfum.

irislove's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I was so looking forward to trying this and was terribly disappointed. It went on acrid and finished one-dimensionally sweet (to my nose). Very sad.

LaNose's avatar

Djedi by Guerlain

NOW, I know what everyone's been talking about: Djedi is unlike any other fragrance I've ever experienced, bar none. I won't rhapsodize on the elements of this fragrance; the folks below have done so eloquently.

What I will share are my associations to this fragrance: When I was a small child, I ventured away from a family picnic on a bright, crystal clear ,hot summer day. I was probably three years old at the time and before I was brought back to my family, I had ventured under a telephone pole with bright, sparkling-blue insulator caps and the steamy smell of creosote pervaded that spot; it was a joyful and yet melancholy moment for me and Djedi took me back there in an instant.

But, Djedi goes even further for me: Djedi is primal and limbic to the core; I can see why people have such intense reactions to this fragrance; I believe my reactions are less about my childhood memory and more about an olfactory archetype. I think this fragrance evokes the deepest fears, hopes and dreams of my childhood and...before that. That is why it is both strange and familiar to me; comforting and disturbing; joyful and morbid. Djedi is like the "Lucy" and "Ginko tree" of scent; it feels like the progenitor of later scents.

And if you want to trace a direct line offspring, follow this: Dejedi of 1927 bore Vetiver (J P Guelain) in 1961. After you have experienced Dejedi, Vetiver seems downright tame.

10th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

Zerby's avatar

Camp Beverly Hills for Men by Camp Beverly Hills

I got this for Christmas back in 1988. It was a fantastic scent. Why they discontinue scents like this is beyond me. I sure hope they bring this back.

11th June, 2010