Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

MSp's avatar

Verbena of Provence by Jo Malone

Alone - very nice.
    Mixed with Jo Malone's Vetyver: INCREDIBLE !

MSp's avatar

Vetyver by Jo Malone

Alone - very nice.
    Mixed with Jo Malone's Verbena of Provence: INCREDIBLE !

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Citrus and herbal opening segues into a mostly floral heart and then winds down to a watery mossy, woody, musky, almost chypre, base. The heart seems to me to be defined by the jasmine. (But then, on my skin jasmine tends to overtake other notes.) Very unisex, especially in the heart. This could be worn almost anywhere, anytime, and I imagine it is many a man's "signature" every day scent. It somehow smells both familiar and new at the same time. The only complaint that I have is with longevity - it just doesn't last more than a few hours - at most - for me. Still, a very well made fragrance and deserving of a confident thumbs-up.

Spazio Krizia Uomo by Krizia

An odd mix of lush citrus, herb, floral, spice, sandalwood, tonka, and ambery notes that creates a sort of tangy yet sweet and powdery fragrance. There is a soft, sweet, balsamic quality to the base, and for some reason, the sharp citrus and aromatic notes don't seem to quite fit with it. It's both heavy in that it seems opaque, sitting there on top of the skin; and light, in the sense that it comes across as bright or high-pitched. Pollux makes an interesting observation - it does seem to unexpectedly revive itself throughout its drydown. I can see the comparison to Etiquette Bleue mixed with a heavy citrus fragrance (I've never smelled the Moustache, so I can't comment on its alleged involvement). Ultimately, I can't say I like it or dislike it, and there's really nothing here that compels me to add this to my collection. It's interesting, and different, but for my tastes anyway, it's too sweet and too "pretty" to be something I'd wear all that often.

lovethosescents's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Burberry London is unique. It stands apart from the others. I finally got some after reading all the reviews and raves. I sprayed some on my wrist about an hour ago and it is beginning to settle down from the initial spritz. I do not perceive any Christmas trees, pine, or anything like that. As it settles down it comes across as very rich, and people are using the word "boozy," whatever that means, and I guess it is appropriate--like someone's warm breath who's been drinking sweet wine--so I suppose I am detecting the port wine note. It's a nice aroma--the port wine, that is--and I think I can detect the leather note, too. Hmmm, I just remembered an old fragrance I have called "Casual Friday," and London definitely reminds me of that fragrance. (I just found my bottle of Casual Friday and sprayed some on a tissue. It is indeed, similar). CF is not as deep and "boozy," but there are some similarities.

Even now, almost an hour after initial application I can't detect much else. It's a pleasant fragrance, to be sure, and very sophisticated, so it would be appropriate for formal occasions and a night out on the town. It's extremely masculine, and hearkens back to men's fragrances of years gone by. I like it, and I'll wear it, but I don't think it will become a favorite.

As a side note: I find Burberry Brit (the ladies version) to be more spectacular than this. Although worlds apart in aroma and characteristics, Brit--used in moderation--could easily be worn by a man, and is a masterpiece of a scent, in my opinion. Forgive me for throwing that in, since it has nothing to do with London. I just have strong feelings about Brit, too.

wtb's avatar

Individuel by Montblanc

I'm definitely in love with this sexy, sensual fragrance. It's basically Joop! minus the tobacco, vanilla, and tonka bean. This notes in here are wonderfully blended into a sweet, light, and highly versatile scent that turns heads of the lovely ladies I encounter everywhere. A definite keeper in my collection forever.

ebbtide's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica by Guerlain

I really wanted to like this; I love rose scents, I love Guerlain. It's certainly not a green rose, or a powdery rose, it's a strong wet rose with blasting hot-pink aldehydes. Something in there reminds me of the way Champs-Elysees feels, it's the same fizzy pink smell. (Mimosa?) It is young and bubbly and pleasant enough, but loud. Like all the Aqua Allegorias it don't have great longevity, just as well for me.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

Distinctive clove -y ,pepper spice with a creamy floral note .Quite light to me ,subtle-ly hot I guess. Pretty spicey carnation. I like it but it's not love. I think it's a little thin but still very lovely.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I will admit, I think that 'politics' come in to play with this fragrance. I believe that word-of-mouth makes this scent so popular.
    I bought it blind (based on reviews), and quite eager to sniff the first smell....
    lo and behold.....
    IT SMELLS PRETTY MUCH LIKE..... YOU GUESSED IT, Perry Ellis White.
    Although, there is a slight difference.
    Perry's has a little more of the powdery, and Le Male has less and lets the greenery and herbs shine through. Slightly.
    Although, for everyday wear, they are very, VERY close. I pretty sure I know what the folks a Perry were doing when they introduced Perry Ellis White.
    I feel that this scent could not be worn anywhere at any time.
    It seems more evening. Not a hot weather fragrance, I believe this fragrance along with 'natural' musk will totally clash, and you will smell like a ________ (fill in the blank).
    I think that Perry's lasts longer on the skin.

Zirh by Zirh

Smells great! But so do the 2526 other fragrances that smell like it!
    Very uninspiring.
    Have to pump 57 sprays onto you to get some sort of smell. (exaggeration)
    Nothing special.
    Good for going to the store, visit family, or running errands, or just going to bed...

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

NOT a casual scent. Ive had it for 8 months or so, and have used it twice. Only for very special occasions. I could not get into the initial blast of 'purple' scents, but after the drydown, it evolves nicely.
    DO NOT OVER APPLY!!

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

I did mot like the INITIAL spray out of the bottle. It seems as if they somehow concentrated the fragrance into the bottle. After the drydown, beautiful.
    Its nice a quite powdery, but not too much.
    Sharply smooth. Distinctive. Iactually anly wear it if I am indeed wearing white.
    Yes, if you have Le Male, they are both quite similar, AND different.
    This is a fragrance that one CANNOT overspray. Trust me.

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

I will say, people notice this, and Im not sure if its a good or bad thing.
    Smells decent. I would not think of "MoonSparkle" though.
    Very unique. I believe this is something you cannot solely read reviews on to purchase.
    I bought this 5 months ago, and have used it no more than 4 times. There is something thats 'from the moon' about this frag.

Curve Connect for Men by Liz Claiborne

OK, but uninspiring. Poor longevity and sillage. Smeels good though. I think Curve just simply created a decent fragrance and watered it down.

shamu1's avatar

Heno de Pravia by Gal

I like to splash on Heno de Pravia at the end of the day, after I get home from work. Agua Lavanda is another I wear at night. HdP is an excellent eau de cologne and is unique in that it actually has a drydown. The scent starts off lemony with lavender, but it dries down with what I assume is the "beeswax" accord, but which smells floral to me (I don't know what beeswax smells like). It gives the scent a dryness I like, as well as a very clean, somewhat soapy smell. Longevity of course is poor (about 2 or 3 hours tops), but this is a very refreshing and calming scent that I find very satisfying. Just pour a ton of it in your palm and splash it on with reckless abandon!

MY RATING: 7/10

BayKAT's avatar

Ciel Woman by Amouage

I won't be straying much from those who have reviewed this before me...

I put on what I thought was a generous sample and went for my evening walk. Hmm.. not much. So i poured a fourth of the vile on myself. OK, now I can smell it for about 30 min, then ... not much.

So my review is based on how my shirt smells when i put it right up to my nose and take a big whiff.

OK, this is delicate green floral that opens beautifully, but fades to something really grating on me. I can't say it's any one note, probably just the combination of
    things. i'm going to reach for my Apres L'ondee now.

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I admit I may not be a fan of all 'Bois' by Serge Lutens. I would probably go with the original Feminite du Bois by Shiseido. They all share a weird and to my nose artifical smelling (modified cedar) note. Bois de Violette actually starts off really pleasant and I thought this could really kick it off. Unfortunately, after a short while I got a very persistent sour-ish vomit-like note that stuck around for good. Also, this has a to me musty and stale aura. Mind you, this does not breathe! Longevity was okay, but not impressive.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Why write a review when there are already 169? Well, maybe I have just come here to say "Hello, I like you!".
    Le Male is a masterpiece, copied or been inspiration many times. It's catchy (read the note list!), smells quite synthetic, yes (but done well here). The downside is that you smell it too often wherever you go and that many wearers do not seem to have good enough taste in order to control their sillage. Properly applied it is comforting, a real treat on a cold, rainy day, it can be a sexy scent on the right guy, quite haunting, too.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Why haven't I considered reviewing "my" beautiful Chergui? Maybe because I still can't figure out individual notes and therefore I lack smart descriptions here...
    Anyway, Chergui introduced me to the world of 'niche' and 'haute' parfumerie. If I had to cut down to only one fragrance I would probably go with Chergui. My skin chemistry allows me in general to wear rich and opulent, sweet fragrances that some find way too cloying on themselves. Yes, this is rich, but airy. It is opulent, but balmy and soft. Its longevity is gorgeous on my unforgiving (dry and frugal) skin. It usually stays with me for a whole day and produces its unique aura. No, it does not produce tremendous sillage, but a perfectly comfortable one - as I said more of an 'aura' around you. I have a couple of times been complimented on wearing Chergui. Honestly, I can not see anybody disliking the sheer smell of this sweet hay and tobacco combo with the added unique Chergui-richness (fruity-rosy maybe), but I can see people not wanting to wear it themselves.
    There has been a lot of discussion about versions and colors of the juice. I find that the bell jar, which is the Serge Lutens Exclusives,(which comes labeled black, BTW) has a wee bit more pronounced note of richness added to the sweet hay and tobacco combo, which the normal export range 50 ml flacon does not have. Also, the color of the juice differs slightly - the former being a more brown instead of the latter with a more purple touch. So, if you have the chance, go for the bell jar, also considering value for your money.
    This is simply put BEAUTIFUL and can only been challenged by Amouage Lyric Woman, which shares a balmy and soft beauty, but with less longevity and nearly double the price. This is perfectly unisex and one of the best examples of Serge Lutens masterfully accomplished principle of unisex fragrances, which they have all my respect and admiration for. Give in and admit it is sheer beauty!

Alahine by Téo Cabanel

It escapes my perception what makes this really ambery. I can not smell it. It may be near, but it is not ambery to my nose (tried, but not achieved?). Overall, it is nice, but disappointing after I have read some rave reviews. It's not too sweet, which is correct, and not particularly ladylike in case a man would consider pulling this one off. Again, it is just nice, but neither inventive nor a particularly smashing turn on something well-known or proven (which would be absolutely legitimate). The star of Teo Cabanel is Oha.

Duro by Nasomatto

There is a popular Austrian song by Rainhard Fendrich and the refrain starts off with "Macho, Macho...". Yes, it is making fun of the machismo.
    Let this macho have Duro! Duro is selling a stereotype and it's about that original and challenging as a fragrance. It smells synthetic and simply put 'not good'.
    Decide yourself whether Duro is appropriate for you!

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

Oh boy, oh boy, this feels like shackled in the back bench of the most musty church around. And this comes from a nonbeliever! All Annick Goutal frags that I have sampled (6 or 7 in total) share a certain 'uncharming' aura. This is a no-go to me in perfumes.
    Someone mentioned 'sexy' in context with Encens Flamboyant - GET OFF ME! :)

Lyric Man by Amouage

I'll make it short this time:
    Get Paestum Rose instead and save a lot of money for just a slightly better version of it! It's not that I like Paestum Rose.
    MIND YOU, I take it that in particular Lyric Man depends a lot on your own skin chemistry in order what notes you finally get pronounced.
    If you are interested in this one, do try it yourself! I can not at any time see this as too feminine for a man either.

Force of One's avatar

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

This smelled to me like someone ate a bowl of moss and long hot chiles, topped with something else nasty and then threw it up. This was absolutely vile on my skin and gave me my first "can't WAIT to wash this off!" moment.

smartscent's avatar

Devin by Aramis

Came across the new Aramis collection and took a chance on an old favourite in Devin - only to be sadly disappointed. The scent is the same - great, still very classy with a strong herbal top, with an awesome finish of cedar, musk, leather - but NO longevity, or sillage, whatsoever - which was extremely disappointing. I put on 3 sprays and my wife didn't even recognize I was wearing any cologne let alone Devin. Save your money and look for an original on e-bay.

smartscent's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

First sniff of the tester was very floral, very heavy - did not set a good tone - and very intense. A second sniff brought up the herbal tones - very well expressed as Tomato leaves, which did not seem to go away....if anything it seemed to get stronger. There was no middle that I could detect, as the Tomato leaves scent was so overpowering of anything else they may have been hiding in the background. About 45 minutes - 1 hour later, everything settled down and I could pick-up a lot of the woody notes. In fact, I even caught some hints of similarity to Davidoff's Cool Water?!? I sniffed the tester again today, and got that floral wiff....into the garbage it went!

shrinkingviolet's avatar

Ozbek by Ozbek

I love this fragrance. It reminds me of wet bluebells, but with an indefinable edge. Very unusual and though I find that it seems to fade all too quickly, it lingers gently on clothes. One to wear when you don't want an 'in your face' perfume, but equally one to choose when you don't want to smell like the usual procession of 'me too' contemporary fragrances.

Déclaration by Cartier

It's funny. I didn't know the history of this fragrance when I first tested it. I had no idea that it was created with a nod to Eau d'Hermes. Even at that, the first thought I had when I sniffed it was: "Hey, a modernized, sanitized, woody take on Eau d'Hermes." Whereas Eau d'Hermes (the vintage version) smells to me like a lot of ingredients masterfully blended into one seamless whole, creating a leathery, musky, spicy skin scent, Declaration, to me, smells more like the process of cleaning dusty furniture with lemon polish.

For whatever reason, the citrus in Declaration smells more like lemon to me than mandarin. Maybe it's mixing with the cardamom and projecting itself as sharper, crisper, than I tend to think of mandarin...I don't know. This sharp citrus note seems to be sitting atop some light and somewhat powdery woods. As the scent progresses, a cumin note emerges, which, thankfully, adds some pizzazz to the fragrance and has the effect of bridging the gap between the citrus and the woods. This cumin-y phase is the best part. Then, it progresses in its fairly linear, straightforward dry down to softer, powdery woods, and maybe just a hint of leather, with the cumin and cardamom taking turns occasionally peeking through.

There is no question that I like the vintage Eau d'Hermes better. I like the way it blends with my skin scent rather than sitting on top of my skin the way Declaration does. I like the spices of Ed'H better, and I like the more leathery presence of Ed'H. In fact, I don't really care for Declaration much at all. It's entirely too safe, it bores me, and I just can't shake the associations my mind makes to furniture polish, or maybe lemony dishwater, when I wear it. I have been vacillating between neutral and thumbs-down with this one, but the more I wear it, the less I like it. And while I've nothing bad to say in the way of this fragrance's construction or quality, ultimately these ratings come down to subjective likes or dislikes. In this case, no offense to anyone, but I just don't like it.

Mazzolari Mazzolari by Mazzolari

This is one those fragrances that I think of as "severe." In my opinion, that's not necessarily a bad thing. By "severe," I mean that it does not really compromise. Durbano's Black Tourmaline, Yatagan, and Noir Epices are also severe perfumes in my book. I like them all, and I like this as well. Lucky Scent's list of notes (Sandalwood, vetiver, spices and subtle citrus and green notes) don't really capture what's going on here, at least to my nose. I wouldn't call the green notes here subtle. And I don't think of this as a sandalwood or vetiver heavy fragrance, though they may be in the mix. I've seen Mazzolari Mazzolari listed in some threads here at Basenotes as a good pine scent. I also don't really smell pine here, as much as I smell juniper on top of some wood notes that I would guess are cedar and/or cypress. To my nose, there's also the mustiness of black pepper roaming about in the mix. All this makes it a tangy, dry, almost strident fragrance that, as Off-Scenter puts it, dares you to wear it. I can see some of the comparisons to Yatagan, but this lacks the leather of Yatagan and is tangier and less overtly herbal. All-in-all, this Mazzolari is uncompromising, very "masculine," and many would likely find it hard to wear. Still, I like it for its intensity and its uniqueness, so thumbs-up.

Tourbillion's avatar

Face à Face Femme by Façonnable

I have a sample card of this that includes the pour Femme and pour Homme fragrances. It calls itself a transparent floral fragrance, and it does have a transparent watery quality without having any marine notes.
    Here are the notes listed on the card:
    Rose
    Lily of the valley
    Cedar wood
    Patchouli
    Laudanum

The coriander top note is really strong and a bit unpleasant really. Once this is gone the fragrance is really pretty, the iris and marigold are unusual together I think and the patchouli isn't too strong. The dry down is lovely but not too long lasting.

I am giving it a thumbs up, but almost want to give it a neutral since I don't really like the coriander note.