Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

greengrl's avatar

Glow after Dark by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Since I love Glow, I was very excited to try this fragrance. Once I tried it I could see how some people compared it to the scent of suntan lotion, it is very sweet and fruity/floral. It smelled more like a fruity cocktail to me and maybe because of this I think its name suits it well, although it wouldn't be inappropriate to wear during the day. I don't smell any similarities between this and Glow.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Habit Rouge Sport by Guerlain

Habit Rouge Sport is a beautiful floral oriental (i think: i am not to good at categorising scents). It starts off with a citrus burst, with spices joining the chorus quite soon after. The definite jasmine notes also arise in the first few minutes of application. I really don't know what bamboo would smell like in a frag and i am sure i am missing it here. HRS is mainly floral, IMO. And a beautiful floral it is. I tried to sniff out any indolic or animalic accents, even taking a walk in the heat. I did not get any (sadly). HRS settles into a base of subtle leather and light vanilla. It certainly is not a powdery dry-down. More like the dry-down of Coriolan, feel-wise. Why the "Sport" appellation? Goodness knows.

I write this review exactly 12.5 hours after application and i still catch wafts of HRS rising from my chest, so HRS has no longevity issues on my skin. I applied HRS a tad liberally, but did not bathe in it. I know the sillage of HRS is good. Not a room-clearer though.

My only complaint about Habit Rouge Sport is the name, and Guerlain's making it a flanker of the successful Habit Rouge, rather than a stand-alone release. This will naturally cause people seeking after HR references, finding little, feeling disappointed and thereby missing the bigger picture. I believe HRS should be judged on its own merits and not with reference to the other Habit Rouges.HRS is a new direction for Guerlain. A direction towards a new demographic of user, which i think one should welcome since one cannot avoid the constancy of change. There are Guelain frags for Guerlainistas. Then there are (mostly new) Guerlains for those who just like nice-smelling scents. HRS may not be to the satisfaction of the purists, but it is a very good scent which i intend to enjoy for a long time.

I like! Thumbs up.

Marcelle's avatar

Green Tea by L'Occitane

I'm giving the solid version of this a thumbs up--the spray reminds me of a harsh sort of room fragrance and does not balance the tea and citrus all that well.

Occitane's take is a bright, citrusy green tea scent with a little bit of sweet floral tucked into the background. Bulgari's Au The Vert is a more complex scent--it's a more striking composition than this--but it's also colder and more austere. This is like a gin and tonic on a hot summer day: refreshing and just interesting enough. Good for a beach holiday--or for imagining oneself on a beach holiday while toiling at the office.

Cabotine by Grès

Cabotine opens as a sweet fruity/floral where the berries are tart and the florals are incredibly dry and soapy - almost fresh-cut - but comparisons to fabric softener and air freshener are unfortunately apt. The fragrance is wrapped in a headache-inducing chemical haze.

After only twenty minutes of wear Cabotine begins to dry down. The end scent is a dry, woody and floral powder with green sharpness.

The question is, is the pretty drydown - a "paupers' chypre" scent - worth the headache? The dry-down lasts and lasts so sometimes, yes.

Sill, I have to give this a neutral. If it gave me a headache, it probably did worse to others.

Miracle by Lancôme

I have a small bottle of "Miracle" on my dresser and I've worn it a few times.

It's light, fresh and certainly interesting and very, very floral. Although it is not listed, "Miracle" has a grapefruit/citrus vibe. It's breezy and refreshing, like the Uma Thurman ad campaign promises.

However, "miracle" has failed to find a place in my regular rotation. There is something very sharp and almost "old" about the fragrance. It's boozy like straight-up vodka and I'm afraid the strong freesia note isn't helping matters.

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

I've been fighting the urge to buy this, trying to convince myself that it's not my era, too old, reformulated etc, etc. However, even the new watered-down version is so much more interesting than 90% of perfumes today. The scent is delightfully off-kilter and utterly different from the fruity florals that are popular with young women today.

I'll be picking it up, very likely, next time I see it in the store.

Notorious by Ralph Lauren

I sniffed this at a local discount store recently and i have to say the actual juice smells very different from the magazine ad, which had a distinctive licoracey-mintyness to it.

On my skin, peony and vanilla dominated. It smelled sophisticated and slightly distinctive but safe - not "notorious" at all. A forties siren would never wear such an agreeable perfume.

JessicaGrace's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Sigh. Another iconic perfume that I just don't get. On me, Fracas smells a little minty, a little camphoraceous, a bit chemical, and then nothing. It fades down pretty fast to something that reminds of the powdery smell of chemically scented bug spray, stays there for a few hours, and disappears. I've tried applying heavily (against all the advice on here) and the same thing happens. Guess this one just isn't for my skin.

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chergui = women's hairspray + cherry sauce + pipe tobacco still in the pouch.

This obviously works for some people, but not me. I'd place it on the feminine side of the scale.

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

After multiple wearings I've changed my mind 180-degrees on Gris Clair and love it! This is a wonderfully bracing scent that will wake you up in the morning with the freshest lavender and smokey incense. Invigorating. Gris Clair has a dark, introspective side that would be at home among the gothic spires at Oxford, but it also evokes springtime (Easter?) and eternal youth.

12 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2010)

Derbyman's avatar

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

My initial reaction when I spray this scent is that it is like a mixture of unburnt sweet cherry pipe tobacco with a strong underlying note of unburnt cigarette tobacco - the smell you get when you sniff inside a cigarette packet. These two predominant notes seem to float separately from each other - they are almost equal but distinct from each other - quite strange! I can see why this is described by many as 'sweet' as the cherry tobacco note is indeed very sweet but not cloyingly so (very smooth) and the underpinning cigarette tobacco note confuses the senses into almost ignoring the sweetness - weird! I really like it! It has a nice 70's lounge lizard vibe and the bottle is great too - chrome and smoked-grey glass. Sweet, warm Cherry Tobacco - albeit muted and softened with the vanilla and tonka coming through. I REALLY love this stuff!

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Camera for Men by Max Deville

I accidentally spilled a good amount of this in my apartment because the mini container was missing the stopper.

I like the scent and I definitely had time to think it over, since it filled my living quarters for a while and rather strongly.

While sitting at the computer going through the basenote website it hit me. Heavy, and I mean HEAVY, a huge in your face cinnamon note! That is what I get from the aroma of Camera, a very syrupy, sweet cinnamon flavored cold cereal smell.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I bought a bottle of GF at TJM. Based on the reviews on BN, I thought that I would give it a try. I have a diverse collection of fragrance, and I like to try new scents. I could not get over the violet. I know that I was warned. I kept waiting for it to enter the next phase of the fragrance, hoping it would get better. It did, but the violets remained...Strong violets...Very strong. I endured it about and hour and a half, and then I couldn't take it any more. I took a shower and brought the bottle back to the store the next day. I guess I just don't like violets.

On the other hand, I do like Eau of GF. Much lighter and not nearly as extreme. A totally different scent.

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

When I first tried this I had to have it. I bought it and used it a few times, and I noticed that I enjoyed it less and less each time. The last time I wore it, the sweet fruity/vanilla notes actually made me sick. It gave me a headache and made me feel very uncomfortable. I had to take a shower to wash it off. I've since given it away. I've never had a reaction like this with any fragrance I have worn. I can't endorse it.

nattonline's avatar

The Natural by Gap

At first sniff, it reminds me of Terre d'Hermes, but this Gap starts out sharper and more zesty and it's harsh. I'm going to call this the poor man version of Terre d'Hermes.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Positives: very popular scent that a lot of young people wear. Therefore, there must be a lot of people out there who like it. Fairly unique. Is a versatile fragrance.

Possible drawbacks: the synthetic grass smell can be a turn off for some people.

Overall: This could work as a signature scent. Definitely try before you buy though.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Positives: Great versatility. Clean masculine smell that anyone can wear in almost any situation. Will not be cloying or offensive. If you only want to purchase one cologne, then this may be a good option.

Possible Drawbacks: Has been very popular for the last 20+ years. Therefore, many people in a lot of different age groups wear it.

Overall: As long as you don't mind smelling like others, then this is a great and safe option.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Positives: Longevity and projection are amazing. It lasts all day. People around you will notice this without a doubt.

Possible Drawbacks: Difficult to wear in an office or classroom setting. It is extremely popular in clubs, bars, and college parties.

Overall: This will attract women, but the popularity of it may be a problem. However, if you don't mind smelling like others around you, or possibly someone's ex-boy friend, then I highly recommend this.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Positives: clean and slightly woody scent that is great for the office or maybe a formal occasion. Inoffensive and fairly masculine. If you want to purchase just one cologne for all occasions, then this could be a possibility.

Possible drawbacks: plain, boring, similar to some other colognes.

Overall: when I think of a generic cologne this is what comes to mind. Somewhat mature and masculine smell. Not a bad thing, but not something that will stand out.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Positives: Great sweet, yet masculine, scent. Fairly unique. It may work well for an evening date.

Possible Drawbacks: the scent life is unbelievably disappointing. A great scent from start to finish, but it just finishes way too quick. 4 or 5 hours is all I get, and the projection is not very impressive

Overall: If you're willing to reapply this scent at some point during the day or night, then this could be a great buy.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Positives: inoffensive very fresh scent. I can't see how someone would not enjoy smelling this.

Possible Drawbacks: Longevity is a big concern. If you are looking for a day time scent for the warm weather or signature scent this may not be for you. It seems to last 5 or 6 hours and doesn't have great projection. So if you don't want to reapply at some point during the day, then I would avoid this fragrance.

Overall: great for a lunch date in the summer or spring. Otherwise, it would be tough to find a time to wear the scent without reapplying.

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

Positive: If you like sweet fragrances, then this may appeal to you. Apparently some women like it.

Possible Drawback: Be aware that there will be people who hate this smell. The spicy note makes it smell like bad body odor to me.

Overall: Some people like this, so I would give it a try. An individual's body chemistry will make the scent smell slightly different on each person.

Monette's avatar

Secret de Vénus by Weil

I wore the original of this fragrance (the Zibeline version) for over 25 years. The reorchestrated version can not even touch the original formulation. I have been trying to find a suitable replacement for this perfume since 1996. I've tried many perfumes and the only ones I've found that last as long as Secret of Venus and wear down to the, for lack of a better word, lushness that was the original, are Mariella Burani and Tom Ford's Black Orchid. While both of these latter are very nice perfumes in their own right, they will never touch the evocative eroticism of the original Secret of Venus.

odysseusm's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

This is a pleasant scent, but it is not what I would expect given its ingredients. Specifically, I think a scent which has galbanum and frankincense should have a green and coniferous or resinous quality. The “Somalian incense” here smells more like myrrh to me, since it is slightly sweet and soapy. The cedar should give some wood notes, and the vetiver should give earthy or grassy notes – but I get none of these.
    What I do get is a grey/silver sort of scent. Iris and soap notes dominate. This is done in the typical Prada style; which is round, smooth and has no edges. The scent is attractive, soapy and slightly sweet, and sits close to the skin.
    [update} What an odd scent! Fresh, soapy, clean, somewhat juvenile in style. Sweet and kind of twee in a pretty way. The myrrh is done in a sweet-soapy style. There is a fresh, slighly ozonic note here. Does not evoke a masculine image –a young boy perhaps, prior to his first beard. This isn’t a scrubber, it is just not my style.

12 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2010)

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I'm so glad they brought back this fragrance. This classic from the 80's is a timeless gem that continues to be one of my favorites. I do find the opening a little strong and intense. However, I find the middle and base notes to be quite enjoyable and very luxurious. In my opinion, the latter stage mixture of patchouli, amber, vanilla and moss is perfect. It lasts for hours and hours. In fact, the dry-down phase just gets better and better. I applied it this morning about 8-10 hours ago and I am truly enjoying this marivillous scent as I sit and work in my office. This phase is just so smooth. Aahh...

12 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2011)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

As so many have already stated, the opening is quite sharp in contrast to the middle and base notes. I don't especially like the opening, but I don't find it offensive. However, after a few minutes the sharpness passes and the fragrance enters into a stage that mere words cannot do justice. The middle notes and dry-down are the best I have ever experienced. The sillage is perfect and longevity is exceptional (I can still smell it 12-16 after application).

Bottom line...It has become one of my top 3 favorite fragrances. I absolutely love it. I have many fragrances in my rotation; That's the fun part of our hobby. It's just that I find myself using Azzaro PH more than the rest...because I just can't wait until the next time.

12 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Vetiver by Etro

Outstanding dark rooty vetiver. As said yet, this is a sort of brutal, rough, herbal, salty, untamed and very very dry vetiver so far from the airy and mild Guerlain's notorius one. Here it's like you can smell the roots and chew the earth around the vetiver roots. The aroma is resinous at the beginning (as well as the Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver for instance) before the stickiness tames down in to a general woodsy sharpness (never too sharp and still slightly resinous). This scent is therefore moderately dense, woody and aromatic. The harsh temperament is since the beginning pushed up by several resinous and coniferous notes as clary sage, angelica and may be cypress. The vetiver appears, side by side with moss and cedar, in the middle of the development yet. The base notes introduce some spicy dry tobacco which darkens utterly the juice. May be hints of olibanum swirl around in the mix. A real hardcore "piece" of vetiver and for sure one of the best vetivers out there.

12 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2014)

Black Jeans by Versace

Very masculine fragrance with an "Italian" character. Prickly to the nose, sharp and pungent on application. To my nose, the top is dominated by geranium and juniper, though I wouldn't doubt at all that there's a helping of something like Dihydromyrcenol in there adding a citrusy and lavender-like smell. There is a also a dark undercurrent running through the entire progression. I think it's the patchouli - a wet, tobacco-like patchouli note. Vetiver seems to pop in and out as the fragrance is worn, and is welcome for its touch of dryness. Off-Scenter names what I think is one of the main components of the base notes: labdanum. The smell of the base is somewhat leathery, a touch smoky, with an almost plummy, wet, and subtle sweetness. (I think the labdanum and/or patchouli undercurrent are what folks are perceiving as "tarry.") The bristly nose-tickling juniper and spice from the top hang in forever, and I can still smell them on my shirt the next day, sitting on top of this labdanum-driven base. If someone were to have me smell this blind and ask me what house it came from, I'd probably guess something like Villoresi, though it doesn't smell as raw and natural as say, Uomo. It has something of a slightly discordant, manly, traditional, and casual vibe that I wouldn't associate with the Versace brand. I like this, especially for the price. While I'm bummed it's discontinued, I'm not surprised because it doesn't fit contemporary sensibilities at all; and I'm happy that it's not more popular, as it can still be easily found for a good price.

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Very bright, uplifting - if conventional - opening of citrus (smells like grapefruit to me) and mint. I don't know why they call this "iced mint." That just seems silly. It smells to me like a real, fresh, slightly herbal sprig of mint - very natural to my nose. On me, the mint stays present amazingly long into the dry down. The notes listed above seem to capture the smell of the base pretty well - woody, light vanilla, and maybe a touch or hint of something ambergris-like. All-in-all, I like the fragrance but don't love it. It stays too conventional for me to really find something to love about it. However, it is refreshing and works really well on very hot days where the grapefruit and mint, and light woodiness of the base means it doesn't get too heavy or sour. A shaky thumbs-up because it's good for what it aims to do, but it's just not my personal favorite type of fragrance.

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Fantastic tobacco fragrance. One of the only "tobacco" fragrances I can think of with a tobacco note that smells like actual, cured, fermented, aging tobacco...sort of the smell you get when you open a desktop humidor that's been closed for a while: barnyard, almost fecal, pungent, potent. This describes only the tobacco portion of the fragrance, which is apparent from the start. This barnyard quality does fade a bit as it dries down. There is, however, so much more going on here. The top notes smell of rum, citrus, and spice. The heart notes of tobacco and rose. The base to my nose, is defined by the tobacco and incense.

Comparisons to Havana are apt. That said, Havana is busier, noisier, and not as harmonious, in my opinion. Havana is sharper and higher pitched, while Cuba is rounder and mellower (though not "mellow"). Havana is a cacophony of sounds like you might hear on a busy city street, while Cuba is a latin-jazz band playing a hot, sweaty nightclub. Both are great, but I prefer Cuba for its realistic tobacco note and sophisticated blending of booze, citrus, spice, and incense. And, as Mario says, this also reminds of Idole in its booziness and spiciness, but Idole to my nose lacks the depth and earthy-funky quality that the tobacco note brings to Cuba.