Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

Notre Flore Neroli by L'Occitane

This dark crimson red juice is a sweaty version of the pleasantly citrusy scent of neroli. It's like they made the stuff run 100 laps around a track covered in vanilla. Note: sweat here is actually the woodsy, herbal smell of WAY TOO MUCH CUMIN. A McQueen;s Kingdom in disguise? It smells a bit too "icky" for my tastes.

Sables by Annick Goutal

Oh this is totally yummy - a very distinctive herbacious opening with some booze to it. Sort of reminds me of Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne with the herby green.Smells kind of vintage- y. Gorgeous vanilla and woods . The vanilla and sandalwood dry down is outstanding. Strong stuff but totally wearable by man or woman .

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Very little iris it seems but an excellent floral chypre of presence.Strong tart, spicey orange blossom and some vanilla. Quite strong and long lasting . Ubuandibeme is right when she compares this to Giorgio of Beverly Hills - I get the same vibe. There are definite parallels but Iris Nobile is more modern and not so loud.Anything likened to Giorgio Of Beverly Hills is not for me but still a quality fragrance.

No way similar to the iris prominent Infusion d'Iris by Prada. If I want Iris, the Prada will be my choice.

Cittá di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella

Interesting iris- floral opening and I got a fleeting incense note too. Drydown is floral woods . Rather weak and watery but I am sure it would be very lovely if it were a denser ,more tenacious fragrance.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

cK be by Calvin Klein

CK Be is a beautiful, minimalist, discreet and iconic floral white musk scent, IMO.

Analysis of the fragrance that is CK Be has already been very well done by other reviewers, so i will focus on the experience of wearing it. CK Be is one of those scents i use in the unusual instance when i dont want to wear a frag that has noticeable presence, and yet one i can privately enjoy. And enjoy it i do for a very long while, because as i write i still get sometimes appreciable, sometimes subliminal whiffs of this lovely frag. And that is 12+ hours after a working day's wear, and after changing clothes. The predominant white musk garnished with vanilla, and sandalwood is a beauty to experience.

I love CK Be.

's avatar

Vert Pivoine by Histoires de Parfums

In my humble opinion, this line has three stand out creations: Colette, Casanova, and this one, Vert Pivoine.

I am rarely captured by simple floral scents, but this one is just right. A very mature, clean and meticulous, clear, peppery-floral scent, which smells to me like it would fit better alongside Delrae's prim and gorgeous line-up than here alongside the other, more plush and daring Histoire scents.

Extremely wearable and oddly versatile; I'd never feel too girlish or too flouncy in this one. Its sophistication is really astounding.

I get a bit of a poppy vibe off this one; if it were called "Poppy Fields", I might like it better than I do, trying to 'find' the likeness to the ephemeral peony reality.

Nonetheless, one of the few-on-earth clear, linear florals I wil ever drop 180USD on. To me, it's that good.

naomi13angel's avatar

Brownie by Demeter Fragrance Library

Really fun, mouthwateringly yummy and just like all other demeter fragrances it lasts about 5 minutes if your lucky. Certainly not a fresh scent as its a bit cloying and does not smell like chocolate i.e a bar of coca rich chocolate it is much sweeter than that.
    If you live in the U.K and have ever tried a crunchie bar , this is a crunchie in a bottle, sweet thin chocolate and cinder toffee in a sticky wrapper !
    I like it because I can spritz it on when I need my sweet fix for all of the scent and not one of the calories x

naomi13angel's avatar

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

I bought this frag after reading Tania Sanchez's review of it in ' perfumes : the guide' she talked about being underwhelmed at first but the more she tried it the more love truly blossomed !
    I bought the 50ml EDP 100ml body lotion and 5ml Parfum for a bargain price whils ton holiday in Florida I tore the package open as soon as I left the store ( I still had not tried it by this point ) and at first sniff I thought it was bordering on horrid but bearable. I did what Ms Sanchez did and persevered and I loved it more and more with every passing day. It's clean, full of almost fermenting fruit (trust me it smells great) , long lasting, bold and beautiful !
    Just try it , you might not like it but one day you will x

Asmo's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

It is unfortunate that Lagerfeld resembles a certain scent released in 1987 by the name of LouLou, for that was a sickening scent of rotten fruit for women that stands out as the worst that I have ever smelled. As its male counterpart, Lagerfeld has what has become through reformulation or always has been the smell of spoiled fruit in an old woman's handbag. For me it is unwearable.

Limony's avatar

Sweet Courrèges by Courrèges

I wore this in my 20s/30s, it was sweet but cool. It's very distinctive - it has taken me months and months on perfume blogs to remember the name, but I can conjure up the fragrance in my mind easily. Honeyish, a teensy bit like Jonquil.

Matahari's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

My mom bought me this for my birthday. A phenomenal scent, great longevity and sillage. Some people classify this as a summer scent but I think it would be better used in the fall or spring, maybe even winter. In the summer I find that it just dries up too quickly, your sweaty shirt will absorb a lot of the juice and longevity will take a hit (plus your shirt will smell like Hermes for days which is not necessarily a bad thing...)

It is very orangey but not in an aquatic or sour kind of way. Think of an orange peel mixed into a very sweet, thick syrup of honey. Very subtle notes of woods and spices are added to create some zest. If this was made into a food that's how it would probably taste like, honey mixed with sour-less oranges with a pinch of like cinnamon.

The only complaint I have with this fragrance is that I'm in high school and girls my age don't really appreciate this sort of scent in comparison to say.. Abercrombie Fierce. If you're in high school and looking for a compliment lure this is probably not the fragrance for you. Nobody really comments on it and if they do it's probably to say you put too much (1 spray on the neck, two sprays on the chest and/or vice versa is good enough). I had one friend comment that it smells Mexican which is weird but understandable.. It's a relatively strong fragrance in a decade full of aquatics. That being said, the aforementioned comment really shows that the younger crowd haven't learned to appreciate a wider range of fragrances outside of your run of the mill aquatics and citruses.

I give this fragrance an 8/10 just because I like it. It might have been higher had it only have more appeal for my crowd.

bhurley's avatar

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Eucris belongs on a man of a certain age who only plays in the annual golf tournament because he's managed to arrange his foursome to include an investment banker, a corporate attorney, and a chemist who's figured out how to recover all the oil that's been spilled in the Gulf of Mexico at a 74% ROI.

It's complex, connected solidly with both earth, the office complex, and the country club, and morphs constantly between the three during it's considerable duration. It belongs on a man of considerable power ... but I'm going to try it anyway. It seems to fit my chemistry but I'm going to have to rework my resume if I'm going to wear it gracefully.

redrose's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I used to like Shalimar, but since being given a bottle of the EdP two years ago, I seem to have gone off it. What a shame! I know it's supposed to be one of the greats, but I now seem to find it rather unpleasant, in fact somewhat nauseating. The best I can say is that it smells that lemon talc, but then I don't like lemon or talc! I love the person who gave it to me, so I'll keep it on my dresser, but wearing it now actually makes me feel ill. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

shrinkingviolet's avatar

Volupté by Oscar de la Renta

I have the strangest relationship with this fragrance. There's so much I like about it, the uplifting start and the way it softens to an enveloping warmth, the way it lingers gently and the special something which makes me, like one of the other reviewers, keep sniffing my wrist when I wear it. But there's also something in there that hits the wrong note and I simply can't identify it. To me, that odd note has an 'old lady' vibe, a sort of past its sellby date talc - and it's enough to stop me picking it up each day.

Iseult's avatar

Poupée by Rochas

This is an anomaly in the Rochas line which is famous for "heavy, serious scents," no?

Poupee is a light, pure flowery scent. The orange blossom and jasmine are great, but the real kicker is the pineapple. I don't know of other scents with pineapple; it really works here. This fragrance makes me laugh!

I feel like wearing a dress with big polka dots, matching hat, and black patent mary-janes while wearing this. This is the belle of the ball's younger sister, who can hold her own and doesn't feel the need to wear the obligatory lampshade at 4 am to make the evening memorable. That would be crass. Definitely a fragrance for the young, but sophisticated. This is innocence with attittude.

One of the few flowery scents that does not turn on me (many do) or have that nasty baby powder dry-down. The other florals in my collection are: First, Nina Ricci, and Fidji. That's it for florals. I am not a big fan of this group, but I like Poupee a lot. Best for the summer, though.

Tigger, of Winnie the Pooh fame, said it best: "Bouncy, flouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun."

Iseult's avatar

My Passion - Hommage à Marlene Dietrich by Grès

I bought this one on the strength of the house Gres. According to the marketing literature, My Passion was composed to awake and accentuate the 'vamp' in each woman. OK, the drumroll....

TOP NOTES: Apple, Cinnamon, Lily of the Valley
    MIDDLE NOTES: Orange Blossom
    BASE NOTES: Amber, Vanilla, Musk

On me, this smells like dirty fruit, burnt brown sugar, and tobacco. It settles down after an hour and the amber and musk come through. Overall, this fails to deliver. Great idea, but bad execution.

My Passion, My Life, and My Dream are three perfumes from a collection launched in 2007 by the house of Gres in honour of Marlene Dietrich, one of the women that Madame Gres used to design for.

Interestingly, Marlene's favourite perfumes Bandit (woody-mossy, 1944) and Fracas (tuberose, 1948) both by Robert Piguet) and Joy (Jean Patou, 1930), according to perfume.com--three scents NOT for the faint of heart. They take no prisoners! That's the Marlene I remember, because this sure is NOT it.

Sportsman5's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Positives: decent longevity and projection. Fairly versatile scent that can be worn in the office, on a weekend, or out to dinner. Works well for people of all ages.

Possible Drawbacks: the sweetness could potentially be a little cloying in really hot weather if worn as a signature scent. However, it does not project to the point where people would feel sick from the sweetness. Therefore, wearing it occasionally in warm weather should be fine. May not be unique enough for some people. It smells a lot like apple pie, so if you don't like that, then I would not recommend the fragrance.

Overall: a solid and versatile scent. Something that would work well as a signature scent, especially in the cooler months.

be delicious girl's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

LOVE IT!! Quite possibly my favourite perfume ever! I've received so many compliments when wearing it (even perfect strangers ask about it) I don't find it too sweet or heavy, and once I put it on, I can't really even smell it anymore (which I believe indicates that it works well with my natural scent?) I try new and different perfumes just to mix it up a little, but still keep coming back to this one. It seems to be my signature smell (in a good way) :)

be delicious girl's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I bought this for my boyfriend, now husband and LOVE it!! He was a bit unsure at first...he knew my Be Delicious Green for women, so didn't want to try a "women's scent", but once he tried it he likes it too. (thank goodness, cause I think it smells great on him). Not too strong or sweet, quite simply yummy! :)

Usermodo's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Let me strat with some general remarks.

People usually forget that the parfums have two counterparts;
    the first is the pelasure for you, the second is the image of you
    for other people.

What is often reveiwded here is the first part; the part that one feels over himself.
    Some people write reveiws here even not trying the parfum on his skeen!!

Let me explain now my impressions of Gucci by Gucci, the story that has happened last year. Once in our office I observed a very good and pleasant,
    thin, delicate but at the same time clear and sufficiently strong smell.
    It was at the end of the working day.

Three days later I recognized a person who weared it. He passed to the printer room
    and went back but the perfum has been there for twenty more minutes or more!

Finally in two or three more days, when I knew that this person has arrived
    at his bureau (guess why), I found a possibility to pass by and to ask him about fragrance. I do not do this in general, but here I did not manage to stop myself.
    It was Gucci by Gucci.

On my personal opinion, it is wonderful! Modern, innovative, fresh,
    dry and fruity at ther same time.
    This is a fragrance of a precise, correct, determined and at the same time open-minded man, who knows his price.
    I've bought EdT and Lotion both, and never regret about this.
    Bravo, Givaudan!

Ultramagnus's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

I love this one - spicy and fresh at the same time. My 'go to' scent

Ultramagnus's avatar

Endymion by Penhaligon's

Smooth, sweet, spicy vanilla sums this one up for me. Lightly used, makes for a nice day scent.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Internationable by Façonnable

This one appears to be a repackaged limited edition of Faconnable as they both smell identical to one another. The bottle is also the same as the forementioned except that the string tying the top to the bottle is blue rather than red and the graphics (and name of course) on the tin it comes in are slightly different. Hence my review for Internationable is virtually the same as for Faconnable which is repeated below:

A bracing and aggressive scent in the top notes in much the same way that Minotaure is. When it finally settled, I found it a bit too "perfumey" for office or casual wear and eventually ended up giving away my bottle as a present. However, on balance it is still quite masculine and would make a good dating fragrance, and I admit smells expensive. It also lasts a long time and has got excellent sillage, giving the impression that it is made of high quality ingredients. I agree with the astute observation above that it has a kind of "Euro" air as I'm always reminded of Swiss private bankers whenever I smell it. This image is enhanced by its beautifully opulent bottle that reminds me of the 18th century French aristocracy, and I believe it is almost worth buying it for this reason alone! Even though I gave it away (prematurely perhaps), this deserves a thumbs up in my books.

14th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 17th February, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

One of my most treasured fragrances in my large collection. When I put this on, I'm not just putting on a cologne. I feel like I'm adding a new and valuable experience to my life every time I wear this scent. I realize that sounds corny and overly dramatic, but this fragrance really is that good.

From start to finish, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is exotic, dreamy and magical, leaving a soft, beautiful purple-hued cloud of warm spice around you. It is not an inherently masculine scent, but it doesn't matter. I love this scent more than most of the big macho powerhouse colognes in my collection. If this brings out some sort of feminine side to my character, then so be it. I don't care.

Similarities to Body Kouros? Sure, in that both use anise prominently, but not in quality. Where LLAM envelops you in a romantic cloud of exotic spice from far off lands, Body Kouros envelops you in a stench of licorice scented diapers. There's no contest there.

This is a truly stunning fragrance that I will never want to be without.

MY RATING: 10/10

14th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 13th April, 2011)

CoL's avatar

Andy Warhol Montauk by Bond No. 9

This is my Facebook prize! Will review when it gets here on Friday! Been hearing such good things about it!

Update - I'm afraid to say this is the most boring generic smelling fragrance from Bond I have tried. Reminds me of so many others I can't pin it down. Not worth the money.

14th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2011)

LostArgonaut's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I purchased Yatagan solely on the merits of curiosity and my own Turkic heritage. Opening the package to reveal the simple, minimalist bottle reminiscent of those Soviet-era "eau de colognes", the first sniff made me think "what the f*** I bought!!" The sharpness of Yatagan hardly gave me any willingness to explore it further.

Although I haven't come even to like it, those few initial trials left me with controversial impressions of Yatagan - later, I started to realize there was something addictive that made me go back to Yatagan again and again.

A friend of mine called the scent "brutal", another total stranger said she loved it. Not giving enough chance to myself to understand Yatagan, I gave it to my dad. In the side note, I didn't notice any kind of those dirty, urinal smells some people link with Yatagan. To me, it's just bold, sharp, and rugged. Yatagan is again in my wish-list, this time to be explored very patiently

14th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04th July, 2011)

Safetyjon's avatar

Quiksilver by Quiksilver

I give this one a thumbs-up. Pleasant, not heavy...Good for summer and outdoors. The top notes include a nice citrusy opening (grapefruit and bitter orange) with a touch of sea accords. The eucalyptus adds a nice "minty" background. The drydown is enjoyable with Australian sandalwood. I have to spray more than usual to get the effect and sillage that I desire. Still smells pleasant after 8-10 hours. Overall, this was a nice surprise. I tried it, liked it and bought it at TJ Maxx at a great price.

14th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

Notes: Javanese vetiver, rare woods, iodine, Burmese spices
    I like this scent. The grassy and cushy vetiver combines well with salty-briny iodine. I’m pretty sure that the ‘rare woods’ are oud, that goes well with the iodine and vetiver. The spices likely include clove and perhaps nutmeg. These earthy, pungent spices work well with the rootsy vetiver.
    Update -- a bright vetiver, green and grassy. Good spices, but not heavy. The iodine note works well, perhaps it comes from the oud. Not as powerful as I remember it. Wears well.

14th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

CoL's avatar

Laguna Maravilla by Salvador Dali

Just got this through from my friends at Cofinluxe! Boy am I glad Mark Buxton reprised his role for this scent as it's magical! To me, the bottles tell all. The original bottle is opaque and the new (edt) is crystal clear and the same goes for the fragrances. The new Laguna Maravilla is more transparent than its predecessor. The top starts out clearer, more transparent slightly more citric but not in a sharp or acidic way. Working its way through to the mid and basenotes notes, the fragrance is almost indistinguishable from the original, just a little clearer. Again it has an oriental/aquatic feel to it as if it should be worn in hazy summer evenings.

Adorable fragrance, very well composed and thankfully not just an excuse to make a flanker to sell off of the Laguna name. As with Laguna, Maravilla to my nose can easily be worn by either gender. If I were to compare it to any other fragrance I would say Herrera Aqua and that's marketed as a male fragrance.

15th July, 2010

JDBIII's avatar

Lavender by Floris

Lavender usually begins to smell like cat piss on my skin, Jicky being the exception. This seems very true to lavender, and I love it when it's not on me. So, I use it on sheets and in my drawers, and it lasts an amazingly long time.

15th July, 2010