Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Good Life by Davidoff

Definetely the best Davidoff's fragrance. Green, refreshing, simple. Nothing stuffy. The greatest figgy composition I've ever smelt. Also slightly sweet, but completely different from any nowaday's aquatic scent. It exhales some class. Maybe that's why It has never attracted younger crowds. I had owned a bottle back in 98 and decided to buy It again. The only thing I can complain about my new acquisition: The bottle's cap seems cheaper than it used to be. And It doesn't bring Davidoff's signature printed anymore.

Eau de Verveine by Penhaligon's

Eau de Verveine starts with a sharp, almost raspy citrus, herb, and spice dust-up that seems like it's out of place in today's fragrance market. So far, so good. However, as it enters the middle notes, coriander comes to dominate the fragrance for a couple hours. This is not an entirely pleasant phase, as the coriander is pungent, only a small step away from cumin, and seems to be almost on its own for quite a while with the exception of an occasional whiff of sage. For this uncomfortable stretch, it reminds me of Diptyque's L'Autre and the lack of balance becomes annoying. Finally, the base starts to emerge and the coriander blends into what I'd term a generic men's woody-ambery base. There's nothing much exciting about this last phase. Overall, it's an oddball scent, and for me, following my very positive experiences with Blenheim and Racquets, it's a let down as well. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they like curry-like spiciness in their fragrances. Neutral rating because it doesn't smell awful or cheap; it's just not really something I enjoy wearing or smelling as a personal fragrance.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A masculine classic, and for good reason. So many reviews have been written about this, that I'll just focus on differentiating vintage versus current, and also versus Bond's Great Jones, which seems to be a "tribute" to PR PH.

The vintage PR is darker, mossier, and deeper than the newer stuff - the vintage feels three dimensional versus the current's 2-D vibe. They almost smell like two different fragrances to me, with the newer stuff being a fresher version of the vintage stuff. The newer PR is a bit louder and brighter, but not as deep, not as rich. The base seems to be lacking the dark green and slightly salty/earthy vibe that oakmoss brings to the game. The vintage PR is strong, and lasts, but stays a little closer to my skin. I like both, but ultimately, I prefer the vintage for its deeper and richer feel. Basically, the newer stuff smells like the lighter green color of the older PR box, while the vintage PR smells like the darker green color of the vintage PR bottle. I don't find either to be dated or out of place in current use. They fit well as a casual green fragrance and I find myself wanting to wear them (especially the vintage version) fairly regularly. I also don't find either version to be too loud to wear comfortably. PR PH is just a good, versatile, soapy green men's fragrance.

As for Great Jones: it's closer, in my opinion, to the vintage PR, but it's not as mossy. It's got more cedar to it, and in the deep dried down phase, cedar is about all that's left of Great Jones, whereas in vintage PR it seems that oakmoss is the main component of this same phase. Great Jones also seems to have more orange at work than either PR.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Let me get the bad stuff out of the way first. The bottle is cheesy, with the fake crystal and fake wood inset in the cap. The box is also cheesy with the fake crocodile skin look. The longevity could be better. With that out of the way, this is a regular go-to fragrance for me when I'm not sure what to wear and need something that can work for casual or more formal (but not very formal) occasions. The opening is aromatic, with a hint of the eucalyptus mentioned in the notes. There also seems to be a red, fruity note in there that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, but for some reason it stands out for me. I don't care for the top all that much - it's serviceable, but not outstanding, in my opinion. The mid notes see some florals come into the mix to add a little body and oomph. I like this stage a lot. The base seems to be woods and moss, and is satisfying. I especially like the way the base smells oakmossy, with an almost salty tinge to it. Overall, this is a good, but I wouldn't say great, fragrance that serves an important role in my wardrobe. It's safe and easy to wear, not too loud, not too unusual, and I tend to wear it when I need something that just fits in wherever I may be.

buyers_remorse's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Ahh all about decadance. This fragrance is poerful, like a Lamborghini, hits you and knocks you for six. Umptious and the women just loved it. A tad leathery with sweet overtones.

odysseusm's avatar

Ginestre by Santa Maria Novella

Citrus, ginestra, oakmoss
    This is a good, distinctive scent. It is centered on ginestra (broom) which has a floral, hay-like and honeyed character. The scent is true to type. At times it has a grassy green note; at other times it is a bit like iris; and at other times it has a rich, honeycomb/waxy note. The drydown is satisfyingly mossy. This is an outdoorsy sort of scent.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Minus burnt rubber, it smells very close/virtually identical to A*Men; just weaker. This is what I first thought of Angel when I smelt it.

Angel is a demonic patchouli and chocolate scent that befouls its neighbors but blesses the wearer. It accosts your friends while being your only friend. It greets your with warm cookies and leaves everyone else in the patchouli brush, pricking every single one of their limbs so as if to say, "HELL YEAH!" in a overly dramatic tone.

This scent is so polarizing... it makes me love it for some reason. Please, for the love of any deity, wear only a spray of this. It can really ruin someone's day.

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

I never thought I'd meet a rose I'd like. This is a woodsy, citrusy rose with some spices around it. Elegant and calm.

Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford

A spicy floral that feels creamy and gets a little dark and sweet at the end.... poetically speaking, a flower and an herb garden got in a fight and fell asleep on a vanilla pillow.

D&G Le Bateleur 1 by Dolce & Gabbana

Interesting aquatic. It's very spicy. It's similar to another aquatic I've tried called Acqua di Gio. Perhaps you've heard of it? Anyways, turn up the spice and add "aquatic accord" to anything and you get this stuff. Also, if you liked this, check out the even spicier GF Ferre Bluemusk.

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

Not bad if you like citrusy-fruity fragrances. It's really juicy on the opening. Dries down to a woodsy grapefruit. A little sour/bitter at the end. Not the worst of the bunch but not something I'd go ga-ga for but I do enjoy the scent.

Midnight Oud by Juliette Has a Gun

It's oud. Good job making something that closely resembles oud that's bearable enough to wear for the "mass market". Don't normally like oud but this made me raise an eyebrow.

Redbeard's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

Almost a thumbs up. This is what Z-14 should have smelled like, and Bel Ami in fact strongly reminded me of Z-14 when I first got it. It's a fascinating blend of herbs and spices over honey, which opens with a piecing sharpness that keeps the sweetness well in check. Masculine throughout, it stays markedly herbal and becomes a bit musky as it dries down, with a stage in the midnotes that is too sour for my tastes. I think there may be a tiny bit of anise/fennel/whatnot, but not quite enough to bother me.

While the product is great, the associations mar the experience for me. For whatever reason, this smells so 70s to me that I can hardly wear it. Objectively, there's nothing wrong with your Harvest Gold refrigerator or your Avocado Green blender, or your sofa with the cream and light brown floral patterned fabric, but all of them reek of the 70s so much that it's immediately obvious to anyone seeing them. I'm giving Bel Ami up in favor of newer scent infatuations, but it was a tough decision because we still have some chemistry together, sitting on the leopard-skin couch listening to disco by the shifting light of the lava lamp.

Redbeard's avatar

Green Water by Jacques Fath

(this review is for the latest version) Starts out as a brisk, refreshing citrus and mint, but is a bit too close to Lemon Pledge territory. Like Caswell-Massey Verbena, one of the notes physically burns my nose with a tingly strength, and this is really unpleasant when sniffing repeatedly to write a review. In the end, this makes me think of nothing but toothpaste, and I universally hate standard mint toothpaste because I feel that the use of such strong flavoring in every brand is intrusive and unwelcome. By analogy, this scent is abrasive, inconsiderate and unnecessary.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

I wear this scent in the summer. It smells sort of old school and I reach for it when I would like to wear Grey Flannel but need something less formal and way more subtle. It has a slight mossy bitterness to it that I find really appealing as a counter balance to it top note which is fairly fresh. It is the sort of scent that makes me feel pleased to think that I am in my 40's and at the top of my game and nobody else needs to know that I am thinking it!

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

All the aspects others have written about are there: leather horse harness after a good long ride and the stable once you have arrived back home,or animal droppings at the circus that smell more like a distant nostalgic memory than they probably really smelled at the time. But the ride was a good one and the memory one of your fondest and this is one of my favorite scents. I am always afraid to wear it to work, because I just know that it will offend someone, as it caused my closest co-worker to lean over, smell my shoulder and say, "okay, that one is like poop" last time I wore it. And yet, and yet.....

Vetiver by Elizabeth W

This one smells like a cloying old blue haired lady lingering over fruit in the produce section of an unairconditioned grocery store.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a perfume that I like to wear when it is warm outside and I am tired of Guerlain's vetiver. It is a scent that adds sophistication to a clean white t-shirt because it is complex but not confusing. It changes are subtle during the day, more becoming a staid version of its initial self... always recognizable but more understated than the initial top note would lead you to believe was possible. I often hear complaints about the lasting power of L'Artisan's perfumes, but I find this last all day.

Ubar Woman by Amouage

Foremost ,a hit of bergamot ,lemony civet - a real big blast of it. Old worldly perfumery skank , in a good and luxurious way which slowly unfolds its rose-jasmine and sandalwood like a creamy roll of gold silk. Very very elegant and dry but I think it is an acquired taste ,in the same way Jicky is. Languidly tangy good. Definitely sample first with this one.

Violette Précieuse by Caron

Green violet comes across as green bananas on my skin .Fortunately this does not do this. Still quite fresh violet saved from descending into green banana territory by raspberry which I think is a clever touch . Slightly candied and powdery ,still quite a true violet in the way you may remember violet scents to be. Light juice and needs re application.

Cabochard by Grès

This is for the vintage parfum so kindly given to me by one of my basenoter friends .:)
    This reminds me ,very oddly, of two separate things:
    1. The smell of my very old barbie dolls from the 1970s.
    2.The aroma of warm human skin just under the arm - note... I did NOT say armpit ! A human skin smell - not dirty or sweaty but comforting.
    Yes there is leather which is distinct also but very smooth and a background aroma. Vetiver is also very distinct in this parfum and I think this is giving it the human smell more than anything else. This is quite a soothing fragrance to me. I believe I have smelt this before on various women, when I was a small thing.

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Hauntingly strange and beautifully odd. Sharp ,high pitched- bitter lemon and green -strange beginning that is weirdly elegant .Dry iris, cold - smells gray blue to my mind's eye.
    Cold dry iris plus rooty, earthy, mossy ,musky, incensey notes to sum up. Very compelling .Rich in scent though quite cold of character. A scent of contrast and a work of art. I love this. Uinsex- the man or woman who chooses this is supremely independent, elegant and chic . They need no other reassurance other than what comes from within.

Rose Poivrée by Different Company

I think this is a very interesting rose scent. Predominantly rose, pepper ,woods and what I perceived as a 'paper' accord ! After a lovely rich rose start, the pepper creeps in ,mixed with paper-y woods and it flattens out that rounded rose smell. There is a little bit of 'dried roses' in this. Musky dry down . Quite unisex with that rose and papyrus kind of aroma ,unique and wearable. I like it.

Esprit de Cuir by Auguste

Harsh words follow.............
    This is indeed a leather fragrance but something about it makes my skin crawl and feel unclean . It's musty and not in a good 'Vol de Nuit way' musty . There doesn't appear to be any civet but in the beginning, this has a sharpish aroma of something that perhaps died in an old leather boot that was stored in a cupboard and forgotten .The sharpish must smell does not leave ....
    I love leather fragrances but this is creepy leather - bad dirty. Nothing remotely close to the Creeds, Guerlains and Carons. Some vanilla does come through after a while but nothing , bar nothing will save you from smelling like you crawled out of the morgue unless you scrub it off. Think' dried cadaver skin' donated to medical science or The Evil Dead ...
    Not possible to give this 0 stars .......but you can pretend I did.

Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger by Prada

I know when this came out, it did not receive very good reviews and I was surprised because I loved it from first spray. Airy,very orange blossomy and fleshy - quite sexy and addictive. ( Also reminds me somewhat a little of L'heure Bleue for some reason - as does Infusion d'Iris ! ) . I found the longevity to be average - not too bad. My favorite after Infusion d'Iris .

naomi13angel's avatar

Treselle by Avon

I wore this on my wedding day, we go married in a tropical garden in St Lucia and stayed for 2 weeks in a 5 star hotel on the island for our honeymoon and I wore it every day ! I chose it to be my wedding perfume so that whenever I sprayed it on I would be transported back to the happiest day of my life.....................2 months later we were seperated (bitterly) and 2 years on we are divorced and cant even bear to live in the same country as one another , yet I still LOVE treselle its gorgeous and sexy and it makes me smile. I think that says a lot for this fragrance, it will never remind me of the day I made a huge mistake, instead it reminds me of an amazing fragrance !

naomi13angel's avatar

I am King by Sean John

Really fresh, sexy scent, in fact walked past a young man wearing it and my clothes instantly fell off ! It might not do it for most people but it certainly does it for me x

urfliness's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Very lush.I always thought this smelled like a box of tissues.It wasn't my fav at first but I'm so grateful I havent ran out yet.This is one of the few frags I plan on replacing when it runs out.

shamu1's avatar

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

This may not be the most original fragrance in the world, but Everlast Original offers a unique twist on a hackneyed genre, the fruity oriental. Everlast's excellent use of woody and spicy notes, such as cypress, aniseed and cinnamon, manages to add lightness and transparency to what might have otherwise been a dull, heavy and overly sweet fragrance. Everlast becomes even spicier and drier as it evolves, and it ultimately smells a bit like Opium Pour Homme EDT.

Call me crazy, but I also smell a kind of pink-hued note in the background of all the spiciness in the heart. It's a note that sort of smells like bubblegum, adding color and yet another unique twist to this fragrance. I particularly enjoy this stage of the scent.

This is quality, solid perfumery. It is clear that Everlast took this fragrance endeavor seriously, by hiring a talented perfumer and giving him enough of a budget to put together a quality, well balanced perfume made with good natural and synthetic materials. It manages to balance both the natural and the synthetic perfectly. Just like inexpensive fragrances such as Cadillac, Carlos Santana For Men and Mustang, Everlast Original may not be groundbreaking, but what it does, it does extremely well and it is very comfortable to wear.

MY RATING: 8/10

kitsch's avatar

Poême by Lancôme

The weirdest scent memory occurred to me today. I put on Jil Sander Style Pastels Soft Yellow for the first time and it immediately called another scent to mind. After racking my brains - the other scent's name was nearly on the tip of my tongue but wouldn't fully emerge! - I finally hit upon it. It smells like Poeme after Poeme has mellowed down for a few hours.

I like Poeme, in small doses and on the right occasion, and I didn't expect that immediate "scent echo" from Jil Sander Style Pastels Soft Yellow. Does any other Basenotes reviewer find the same thing?

I've since seen that there are internet-supplied notes in common: orange blossom, freesia, vanilla, amber, but did anyone else get this experience too? It isn't just me is it?