Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Asmo's avatar

Best of Chevignon by Chevignon

Best of Chevignon, in its weakness, timidity, and particularly unoriginality, begins in a similar way, but with a much fouler addition, than its contemporary, Bulgari Pour Homme. The foul addition is one whose exact smell, while recognizable, I would not like to pinpoint; look far down the human body to its lowest extremities for the likeness of this smell. Soon, the central notes boyishly drag their feet, clad in sandals, tattered blue jean cuffs dragging in the mud behind them, to the first and foremost reason of this bland, unoriginal scent's conception. When the 30 year old girly-man, emboldened by his choice of a Scent That Girls Like, asks one what she thinks of it, she sniffs the air, detecting no trace.

Asmo's avatar

Vendetta pour Homme by Valentino

This is merely another scent that, being from the 90's, tries to ease the way for boys and older, single men in the pursuit of women. Through both this and its smell, which is fruity and fresh but with a slightly traditional edge (which earns it a neutral), it is impossible therefore to take it seriously. Smell this on popular young men and then, years later, when they have aged, having gotten little historical or practical education in the process, either sad, old souls in denial at their aging, or at various charity, political, or otherwise cliche events on the wrists of narrow-minded fathers of five, six, or seven children. It is not the choice of the educated, wellbred man.

redrose's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

Love this perfume, at least I used to! I wore it a lot, along with La Rose de Rosine and N'Aimez Que Moi (but not all at once!) - and as you've guessed, I love the rose notes. But also the myrrh and even the black pepper, etc. My EdP purchased two years ago is one of the best scents I have ever smelled, and it lifts my spirits like few other scents can. BUT - have just bought another bottle, and guess what, it's been reformulated! I can't believe anyone would do this to such an iconic perfume. The strength has gone, the longevity is down to about an hour, and like so many otherr wonderful perfumes, it's just a shadow of its former self. Guess I'll be rummaging around on EBay now, like everyone else.

leicaboy's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Wow, this stuff really disappoints, although it isn't offensive either. I'd smelled it a while ago on one of those magazine samples and liked the orange freshness. In fact I made a fragrance of my own based in part on what I remembered the paper sample smelling like (fresh, orange, ambery - I may have been deluded) - but in person, on my skin, I find it incredibly boring. And then it fades into a really dull nothingness. Modesty aside, mine is much better, especially the drydown - which is puzzling to me because I find that is usually the easiest thing to get right. Then again I'm using mostly natural ingredients. Still, a little Sandalrome or some warm macrocyclic musk would make all the difference. Definitely nothing sexy or unusual about it.

Matt407's avatar

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

I've worn this off and on since the 1970s and college. It's one of those scents that I really don't care for straight out of the bottle, but after it mellows with wear for an hour or so, I love it! Very old school, but still great.

Matt407's avatar

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

I really, really like this scent. I will admit I favor lighter scents, especially citrus.
    Sadly, though, so many colognes eventually cause my allergies or sinuses to revolt, and that was the case here. Lemon grass and verbena are culprits for me.

Mackie (original) by Bob Mackie

Such an amazing fragrance from the 80's! My mother used to wear Tigress (is that still being made?) and this reminded me of that in many ways. A soft, musky floral that is definitely more suited to cooler weather and is nicer with a light touch. I've found it on discount sites, so it's still floating around out there.

Tendre Poison by Christian Dior

Ahhhh...memories. I bought this shortly after it first launched when I was living in Arizona. I wanted to find a fresh, light fragrance to wear in the heat and this was simply perfect! Refreshing and green, yet feminine and romantically floral. And it never seemed to be affected by heat and sweat the way some fragrances can. It was my signature scent for many years after, until a breakup and a move away from the desert. It is really amazing how a scent can evoke so many memories from the time that it was in your life! I am sad that the major department stores seemed to have stopped stocking this one, as it really is lovely. I need to get another bottle...

Tigress by Fragrances of France

Oh wow, I loved reading all those reviews! My mom used to wear it back in the 60's and 70's and I think it set the standard for me for musky, floral, spicy scents rather than super sweet florals. I agree about the furry cap, what a sassy, sultry marketing idea. I was fascinated when I was little with that silly cap!

Fendi (original) by Fendi

I've worn this fragrance since the late '80s and it's still a "go to" for me. Although it does tend to be a bit heavy (not so great for hot weather!) if used with a light touch it softens nicely on me. I learned not to use more than a spritz or two so that it wouldn't be OFendi, as I always used to joke.

Tragically, my last bottle just got broken last week in transit between the UK and the US and I had NO idea about its discontinuation and subsequent crazy pricing! It's obvious that the eBay sharks have pillaged the last of the discounters closeouts and are now selling it for well over 100 dollars. Argh.

So, if any of you have a bottle sitting around gathering dust or taking up fridge space, I'm in desperate need! :o)

Theorema by Fendi

Yep, it is an absolute travesty that so many fabulous frags from the house of Fendi will soon cease to exist (except on eBay at insane prices). I liked this one very much, but for some reason never felt completely comfortable wearing it. Not sure why. I still have the bottle and it's nearly full. Perhaps I'll revisit it and give it another go...

Amarige by Givenchy

One of the great tragedies in my fragrance diary! I smelled this scent on someone and was instantly in love with it!!! To the point that I walked up to a total stranger and asked what she was wearing and told her how amazing it was.

Well.

I practically broke land speed records to get to the local store to check it out. Fortunately, after a few mistakes in my younger days, I knew better than to simply plonk down the money and run. I used the tester and asked for a sample. Sadly, this amazing scent turned into something along the lines of Raid or some other vile smell on my skin. It just doesn't work with my natural chemistry or whatever. To this day, I know Amarige anywhere and I love it...on anyone but me.

Sigh.

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

I love spicy scents like this one, with a nice touch of floral. Patchouli has a stigma where I live, but I think the floral notes blend so nicely with the patchouli that it isn't really obvious that that's what you're smelling, especially after dry down and on the right person. Usually not my pick for warm weather, but it was my pick today. I think it's normally soo yummy with a soft sweater and a great pair of stilettos for an evening out!

Bright Crystal by Versace

LOVE this! I was searching for a new fragrance and getting frustrated with the current crop of designers and celebrities with the latest "thang" ...all of them seem to have a note (perhaps vanilla?) that smells dirty and skanky to me, especially after dry down. Then I stumbled on Bright Crystal. It is young and sexy without being trashy and it actually has an interesting deep woodsy note that I especially love to smell in my purse (I had to dispense with the bulky cap...too much for lugging around!) I get constant compliments when I wear it and I'm now on my third 100 ml bottle!

Vintage by John Varvatos

All I can say is this frag for men is the best in decades. I am so sick of the usual limey, musky offerings, when I found this one I was single and just wished I had a partner to spray it on so I could enjoy it completely! (Now I do ;)' )

I'm not sure if it's the leather, the tobacco or just what it is that sets this one apart so nicely, but whatever it is - it works for me!

@Jonattan you are so wrong about it not attracting women! All my gal pals love it too! :o)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Two words: herbal aquatic. This best sums up Horizon. Though I didn't find it to be as different as others did. This barely makes the aquatic category imo, but just calling it herbal would be too vain. In ways it's a powerhouse, because it does have that 80's smell and feel, it does project well, and last long. It's also kind of soapy as well as a chypre.

To those who get that sort of dark feel from Cool Water as I do, you'll get that from Horizon as well. It reminds me of an herbal Cool Water, not smell wise though as far as the comparison to CW goes, rather feel, and structure. As CW smells and feels a bit dated sometimes, so does Horizon.

If I had to pick another powerhouse to compare it to it would definitley be Drakkar Noir in its current formulation. They are nearly identical in how they project, sillage as well as longevity. DN may last a little bit longer.

As for the notes, I pretty much get everything listed in the pyramid, but very little black pepper, maybe even none. My mind wants to tell my nose that the black pepper is there sometimes, but being a pepper fanatic, I just don't get it. The mint is there but it's a very atypical and medicinal mint. Everything blends together pretty smoothly and what we get is a soapy/herbal/aquatic start with a little bit of chypre as it dries down. Hard to categorize and explain, yet not entirely unique, as I stated earlier. Your best bet is to just try this one, or buy it blind if it's cheap enough. If you dislike it after, sell it in the marketplace forum, I guarantee somebody will gladly take it off your hands.

15 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Cigar Commander by Rémy Latour

I've taken Cigar Commander out for a spin a few times since my prior review, and it's a lot better than I previously realized. Therefore I'm writing a new review here.

Some tobacco fragrances smell spicy, some smell warm and comfy, and some smell dark brown and mysterious. Cigar Commander smells spicy green. I still smell similarities to Burberry London, but this is a lot less sweet than that. It smells like what I imagine a tobacco plant would smell like when it's still green, right after it's been picked and before it's been aged. Loads of patchouli and cedar give Cigar Commander its aromatic spiciness and humidor-like smell. If you've smelled the original Cigar, think of this as a green and slightly less spicy version of that.

Though not quite a powerhouse, Cigar Commander is a fragrance for men who want to smell like men, not like pool water or a bowl of cookies. What do you expect from a fragrance called "Cigar Commander"? Sillage and longevity are good, and for the price, this is very good value. Spray this on liberally to savor all of its facets, and for full macho effect.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

15 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 January, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

I dig this one. For those that hate powdery fragrances, this is a must-miss. It's sweet and powdery, no doubt about it. Comparisons to Guerlain's "Habit Rouge" aren't too, too far from the mark, though Guerlain's offering is much more complex. This one has a sweetly floral opening that could be construed as feminine, but the uniqueness and boldness of this intro is part of its appeal for me. Dries down to a powdery sweetness along the lines of Avon's "Black Suede" rather than the drier baby powder of, say, Canoe and Brut, placing it closer to the oriental than the fougere category. Pretty good longevity, too. Available these days for a pittance, it's well worth a try.

The vintage formulation is a tad less powdery and plays up the oriental aspects, but in my opinion the supposed differences between the current and original formulas are overstated.

15 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2013)

vinramani09's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Masterpiece! Aim for the vintage pre Loreal formulation!

15 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 November, 2013)

CoL's avatar

Scent by Theo Fennell

Apologies, it appears that I have given the review for the EDT in the EDP listing!

*UPDATE* I now have the EDP too and thankfully it is the same stunning fragrance, just a stronger concentration of oils.

"This has been billed as a scent constructed in a classical "old fashioned" way. This is most likely true as the attention to detail is breath taking! Beautiful rosey/chypre opening with musks coming through. A lovely creaminess to it that carrys on all through the scent to a lovely woody/amber base.

As Luca Turin put's it in his wonderful book "Perfumes - The A-Z Guide" this is a "modern masterpiece" and I agree with his opinion that is really is very unisex.

If you're looking for a very well constructed fragrance with obviously high quality materials, I say give this a try!

16 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2010)

Fantasia de Fleurs by Creed

Rose and jasmine in the opening – nicely presented – plus a strong animalic note – possibly civet; or maybe the animalism comes from the indolic emanations of the potent jasmine; or it could be a potent musk note. Regardless, Fantasia de Fleurs opens strongly and sweetly floral and the bouquet increases it as it an iris note is added. The heart accord is followed by a typical Creed drydown of musk and ambergris, and it is pleasant and smooth as most Creed dry downs are. Some other reviews mention “fresh.” I don’t get “fresh,” but that could merely be my oversensitivity to the heaviness of the rose note. I can believe this fragrance is a classic: It has presence without being overdone … OK, maybe the animalic note is a tiny bit overdone, but I wouldn't complain about that.

Still, in all, I don’t find Fantasia de Fleurs very complex or even very interesting. It is flawlessly assembled. I rather enjoy it and there is nothing about it that I dislike, but there is nothing that holds my interest…

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

For Cristalle EDP I had two samples – one “official” sample from an E-tailer, and one from a well-known Internet supplier of niche, vintage, and classic samples and decants. I have no doubt that the “official” sample is tainted and undependable – that trashy smell could not possibly be Chanel, so I won’t consider it in this review: I have used the sample from the (sometimes maligned) invaluable supplier of niche, vintage, and classic samples.

I was looking forward to Cristalle because it is a chypre – my favorite category. The opening is a bit disappointing in that I found it composed of an uninspired citrus that contained way too much green for my tastes. It’s unusual that I complain about a Chanel citrus opening… I usually admire their elegant use of citruses in their fragrances. The whole opening presentation lacks sparkle… but more than that, it is too dense and ponderous, especial because of the green note. The situation improves as the florals gain ascendancy – specifically the jasmine and muguet. The florals work well in conjunction with the fruit notes (melon and peach to my nose): This heart accord is a much nicer presentation than the opening, but still, the signature “Chanel” is missing, and the presentation comes to me as uninspired. My final disappointment is the drydown: It’s woody and mossy without too much sweetness; it’s pleasant and ostensibly “Chanel,” but it’s just not “Chanel” enough and it just doesn’t give me enough of that chypre aura that I love so much. In all, I find the Christalle EDP disappointing… I have a strong feeling that I would like the EDT better than the EDP.

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

Agua de Loewe opens with a strong, varied citrus accord that contains a streak of harsh aquatics. The citruses – yuzu, mandarin, and grapefruit – are excellent; the aquatic note supplies a certain amount of tension and contrast. The accord is enjoyable and refreshing and lasts well for a citrus accord. What happens after that varies with my experiences: sometimes I get a fruity accord, sometimes I get tea, sometimes I get a resinousness that could only be a variety of cedar. Always there is that sharp thin blade of aquatic note piercing through the opening and heart accords. The base I get is a soft white musk supported by a bit of amber, and sends very little sillage off my skin, but is an excellent, sweet skin scent.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable fragrance… I like it better than either L’Eau D’Issey or L’Eau par Kenzo both of which are somewhat similar to AdL, but AdL is more captivating and more wearable.

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

La Chasse aux Papillons is a very light white floral, I get more lime blossom (linden) than tuberose, jasmine or orange blossom, and the floral accord seems tinged with a synthetic edge, which is unusual because I don’t remember a synthetic aura in any of the other L’Artisan’s I’ve tested. La Chasse aux Papillons is light, pretty, and sweet. It presents a soft sillage and the typical below average longevity of many of the L’Artisans.

Umè by Keiko Mecheri

On my first trial on test paper, the opening gave me a beautiful, elegant broad-spectrumed osmanthus / bergamot accord supported by a fruit note (peach?… apricot?) and the merest touch of resinous wood and a suggestion of citrus. It did seem almost a classic Chanel except that it is a bit too fruity… I have never been able to replicate that first paper test… From that time on, I get FRUIT.

The first time I tested Umé on my skin, I got loads of wood accord coupled to an excellent floral combination. I loved it! Subsequent tests have brought fruit… LOADS of fruit: Apricot… peach… persimmon… whatever. Unfortunately, I very quickly lost the floral and wood notes while the fruit notes rose to dominance. And dominance is where the fruit notes stay… test after test after test… peach or apricot. After a couple of hours, I do get the wood accord of the base coming through but it is mainly a very softened Hiniki and moss, and there might be a hint of persimmon in there. The base sends out little sillage but is a lovely skin scent.

I would have loved the first version I got of either the paper or the skin test, but since the first trial of each, all I get is fruit. This subsequent fruitiness quietly emanates off my skin and leaves me totally uninterested.

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I’m not a fan of most of Jean Claude Ellena’s scents, but I willingly admit that this is one beautiful fragrance… It’s light, sophisticated, refined, balanced. Kelly Calèche is a soft floral / leather with a sliver of clear, natural green running through it. The main floral note I get is the lily-of-the-valley and it is assisted by a touch of rose and narcissus. The florals are clear, non-heady, non-sweet. The leather is soft and sensual. The woodnotes in the base provide a rich, almost smoky / incensy background that wafts in and out of the vetiver / green / leather drydown. Totally beautiful.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Refreshing opening of citrus and mint – that blood orange and mint combination gives the citrus accord a bit of a metallic tinge – it is synthetic, but attractive... I like it. I don’t smell the roses in the middle level – I get mainly the spices and leather and some leftover metallic citrus from the opening: I enjoy this middle level, too, because it is a bit warm and familiar as well as being a bit abstract. The fragrance loses something in the base because, although nice, it’s a bit too weak. It’s a sweet, wood base where I can determine an unidentified woodnote, some patchouli, and a not-too-aggressive amber for a well-balanced, but too soft base. The sillage of the top and middle notes is good, but I lose most of it in the base. 1 Million has pretty good longevity. It’s a nice fragrance that probably doesn’t deserve a thumbs up, but it’s a cut or two above many of its contemporary introductees… and I just plain like it.

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

Tuscan Soul surprised me because, being a Ferragamo fragrance, I didn’t expect to like it. It is actually very nice… Light, clean, natural, quite traditional in a very pleasant way. Tuscan Soul is an enjoyable Mediterranean fragrance complete with the well-made, clean citrus opening augmented by petitgrain and a slight touch of tomato leaf. Its heart is a soft and quiet orange blossom – very nice and definitely unisex. At the base is a non-powdery, non-floral Iris and green note (fig leaf?) that continues the natural, comfortable movement into a surprisingly long-lasting drydown.

Thumbs up for a charming, natural-smelling, nicely performing unisex fragrance

Pegaso by Etro

Pegaso begins with a strongly aromatic citrus / basil accord. It’s quite interesting and enjoyable, and lasts longer than I thought it would. The opening eventually loses some of its aromatic drama and the fragrance succumbs to being a basilic eau de cologne… which in this case might be French for “yawn.” I find the loss of the aromatics disappointing because the opening was quite impressive in its original form. Once the potency of the opening has been lost, the fragrance has become quite ordinary. I am anosmic to most pepper notes, so maybe I’m judging the middle accord a little too harshly – a pepper note would definitely improve the ordinariness of the basil, iris, and cedar heart. Its base doesn’t bring much improvement: It’s a soft, slightly sweet wood accord that could stand to be much more interesting as well as having a stronger presence and longer lifespan. The notes and accords of Pegaso are natural, clean, and competent. Its movements are smooth and well designed. I was totally impressed by the opening, but I wish the fragrance had continued on to be longer-lived and more complex… with a more original heart and drydown.

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Nope! I don’t like the opening: The lavender and violet interfere with the citrus in the opening, and this is something I have encountered many times before. I have come to despise lavender / citrus openings made with inferior ingredients… This one comes across as not only cliché and generic, but it’s overly synthetic and sharp… just plain bad: of course a major part of my dislike is the violet note, which I am hardly ever fond of. The juniper note from the middle does nothing to mitigate the synthetics; in fact, it magnifies the problem. The dry down is minimal in sillage and lasts much too long.