Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Tamango by Léonard

An aldehydic floral done with refinement and discretion: it’s softly elegant and demurely classic. Though aldehydes are used, they are used discretely… gaudiness is not allowed. Except for the aldehydes, I don’t really determine a separate opening… The fragrances seems to open with its heart notes. I can’t separate out the individual florals in the mixed bouquet except for the orchid and jasmine, but it is well done and the floral presentation in the whole fragrance come across as soft, warm, captivating, and even a trifle exotic because of the orchid note. The sandalwood and oakmoss provide a quite typically ‘70s base to Tamago.

I’m surprised that there isn’t more interest in this fragrance. It has beautiful floral accords that are presented with subtlety even with the aldehydes. It has a soft, but present sillage and very good longevity. It reminds me of a softer, mellower version of some of the great Chanels.

16 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2011)

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

Big opening of rose, bergamot, and aldehydes – big and quite perfumy to my nose. I don’t get much green at first, but I do get an awful lot of floral – the green comes later when a green geranium note from the middle forces itself through floral density. The largeness of the opening doesn’t last more than ten or fifteen minutes and then settles down to a quite calm quiet floral strongly supported by metallic geranium(?) green. By the heart notes, Calandre has become a discreet fragrance to my nose – discreet but not transparent. It’s nice but it doesn't seem very special. The drydown I get is primarily sandalwood with a bit of musk… quite pleasant and so soft and smooth that it is perfect for occasions when the fragrance is best to be soft spoken.

Calandre is a classic. It is nicely put together, but has little longevity on my skin. I suspect that at one time there was a richness and uniqueness to the fragrance that has been lost in translations and reformulations. But it is still a pleasant and discreet woody / green / floral well worthy of a testing.

16 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2012)

RHM's avatar

Sheer Stella (2006 version) by Stella McCartney

Each year, Stella Sheer is slightly different. Each year, the bottle motif & coloring for Stella Sheer are different, as well. The notes are different, the bottle is different, it's a different scent. The photo is for the Stella Sheer version released for 2006. In addition to the rose, which is featured in Stella and Stella Sheer, the 2006 version also highlights a lovely Granny Smith apple note.
    The rose and tart apple make this a refreshing warm weather scent that is a delight to wear.

robyogi's avatar

Sissinghurst by Anglia Perfumery

Another basic and relatively simple fragrance from this house. The listed citrus and spice notes in the top and heart come across more as neroli to my nose. In fact, it smells like neroli on a woody and musky base. I don't get much of the listed vanilla either. Really, this seems to be more of a floral citrus than a juicy citrus. Not really my thing.

robyogi's avatar

Patchouli by Anglia Perfumery

Anglia lists this as a men's fragrance, but it's easily unisex. Patchouli and floral notes are the defining smells. Sweet, white florals sitting atop a powdery base of patchouli, amber, and perhaps a touch of something woody that keeps it from being overtly feminine. The Anglia site lists cedar, so that may very well be the woody note I'm sensing here. As with all the Anglia perfumes I have tested, it develops fairly quickly to the base, which then hangs on for a good while. Unfortunately, there's nothing here that really captures my attention.

Overall, it strikes me as a simple fragrance, as have all the Anglia fragrances I have sampled. They each seem to be composed of a handful of basic fragrance oils of medium quality. None have been particularly rich or complex. None have had the "modern" feel of a fragrance made with synthetic, abstract notes. None have approached brands like Creed, Penhaligon's, Floris, etc. in terms of the depth or richness of the smell. I don't mean this to be a value judgment - either good or bad - it's just the best way I can come up with to explain Anglia's house style. To be honest, it's not really for me, but if you like artisanal, folksy styled fragrances, these would be worth checking out. And Anglia's site has a great sample program that makes it easy to test them. They also have good customer service, which is a nice change of pace.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I received samples of LL, Angel and Dali today. Lolita is sweet and a little cloying on me - and remarkably similar but way better than Angel (knockout perfume, like being stuck in a candy floss machine on the hottest day of summer with no way out but death).
    My hubby liked the Lolita on me and I have to say I find it really pretty in a sort of fun teen summer party, hot date night kind of way. Having said that, I think it may be a wee bit too young for me (in my thirties), so while I'll enjoy the sampler while it lasts, I don't see it being a permanent addition to my wardrobe.

fusion's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

This is a very nice fragrance from start to finish,I think anyone who gives this a try will be surprised how good it smells a definite sleeper.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Not exactly floral... but not really anything. At first Pleasures seemed to be a ridiculously generic white floral. But then I had smlled a couple of fruity notes. And then greenish notes. It's fresh but not too clean that it's like laundry sheets clean because there's some sweet notes in the background that's a part of the overall scent. Fantastic as an everyday scent.

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

The "marketing" description to me is not at all deceptive. The original is very ambiguously floral and was a little sweet in the base. Exotic gets all fruity on you with the mangoes and such. They are definitely there and makes the fragrance something new. When I read "exotic" I really did think of tropical fruits and such. Ah! Get out of my head!

Scherezade by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Musky! It's peppery, sweet and spicy but soooooo blended into the super-dominant musk that it's really hard to tell anything apart, except the musk. Like all BPAL's oils, it's thick and long lasting. You really gotta like musk to enjoy this.

D&G La Lune 18 by Dolce & Gabbana

The leather note in this is so blantantly repulsive it makes me wince. This smells really bad to me and is the worst "dirty" fragrance I've smelled. Really put of by this. In the end, everything else dies (thank the deity) and all you get is a fruity lingering musk.

Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique

Add some transparent florals (one of which is rose) over something like Mugler Cologne or Creed's Original Vetiver and you'd get the vetiver style that's in Lalique's Encre Noire pour Elle. This feels "cold" while the pour Homme version smells raather "warm". Good longevity and sillage.

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Green Water by Jacques Fath

I wanted to like this -- was hoping that a fragrance made long ago (albeit having undergone a reformulation) could translate well enough into current use. The SA told me it was herbal aromatic, and sensed promise when I skin-tested it because the initial notes reminded me of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, which I have and love. Told the SA I'd let it settle for a moment for me to enjoy it and get a feel for the drydown. 15 minutes later I had to go back and ask for a re-spray! It was gone! 2 re-sprays after and I still don't get anything aside from the sharp green opening...I already lingered around the area for quite some time,hoping that it would change or something. Nope...Oh well, gave it a shot.

fragranceluvr's avatar

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

To start, I would have voted neutral but I think this cologne is a little better than that. Even though there are a few facets to this fragrance, I find it to be quite linear. From start to finish, 9 IX Rocawear is lemony-citrus with light woods and light marine notes. The opening is lemony-citrus with the light woods as undertone, then the heart shows itself as "body sweat after sex", it isn't rancid or off-putting you just kind of want to take a sniff once in a while, it blends well. The dry down is pretty much a continuation of the opening...the lemony-citrus, the light woods, the marine notes.

This is a good office fragrance, it is inoffensive, wearable and nice. Also, 9 IX Rocawear is more of a casual, laid-back scent. It's easy going. Wears well with a t-shirt and a pair of jeans or easy work attire. It is made more for the "younger" crowd but if you are looking for something nice, easy, simple and wearable, then I would suggest 9 IX Rocawear.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Cigar by Rémy Latour

I was surprised to come across Cigar at a domestic airport kiosk and, of course, bought it cheap on the spot.

While Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Cuba is one of the most authentic tobacco frags i know, and while it smells like cigars in their presentation box, Remy Latour's Cigar smells like cigar smoke in a club filled with cigar-smoking BaseNoters, lovely smells and all.

Cigar goes on with a slightly screechy blast of aromachemicals (its not expensive, so what could i expect?) but immediately calms down and begins to exhibit what it was meant to showcase: a very nice cigar accord, garnished with mild floral notes as well as detectable sandalwood plus substantial, cigar-box cedar. To me, this is a beautiful masculine and evocative scent. Cigar smells like a cigar box which has contained well cured unrapped cigars for quite a while. I smell mainly cigars and cedarwood. A short walk in the blazing heat (a usual part of my tests) works olfactory wonders! It tells me what it will be like walking through a cigar rolling shop with nice-smelling workers, the florals blooming beautifully, sweetening the experience.

Cigar is one very long lasting (12+ hours) scent, with moderate yet substantial sillage. People will not choke near a Cigar wearer but, believe me, (mostly positive) questions will be asked.

Thumbs way up!

's avatar

Vie de Chateau by Nicolaï

This a unisex offering, from her "eau" line. Not strictly for women, neither in in feel nor intent.

This is hands-down my favorite Nicolai, a perfectly-executed, refreshing leather chypre. It smells like an homage to 'Cabochard' and 'Diorella', yet totally modern; that is, it's much more modern-smelling, to me, than its 1990 birth date.

Much in fact, like PG's 'Corps et Ames', attended with a 'steadier' hand and a greater appreciation of tradition.

I find VdC's cool-vibed, yet-passionate attitude totally beguiling. And I cannot seem to get enough of the actual DELICIOUSLY-heady uniquely- "light" leather smell.
    It's a spot-on 'soft' leather, with a whimsical, romantic twist of wet woods, animalics, herbs and sunshine.

I experience it associatively like horse-riding across a sunny meadow, then slipping away from view under a rich canopy of beech, where bluebells and damp leaves make a lush bed of the earth....
    and then deciding to dismount, delving deeper into the mossy wood, where the smell of my horse and her saddle at my side seem to steam up in unison with the enchanted mist of the sheltering bog, offering me not only the conviction of belonging in such a dark, wise, and mythical wood, but also the comfort of my steed's life-force, and dependable warmth.

It's great one, Vie de Chateau. An overlooked classic.

9.5 out of 10

17 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2010)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Eh? Where's the rubber puck-to-the-nose accord?? I remember wrinkling my nose at a potent 'burning tire' opening salvo when I first tried BULGARI BLACK two years ago. But having acquired a tester recently I found myself somewhat underwhelmed by the more subdued start. A little bird told me the top notes had been 'tweaked' to avoid scaring off potential customers who are trying out the scent for the first time.

Thankfully the rest of the scent still works a treat. On my skin Bulgari Black projects modestly, giving off a rubber-tinged sweetness interspersed with smoky tea and cedar. Not as unwearably edgy as I had initially feared nor quite the 5-star fragrance I kept hearing about. But intriguingly alluring just the same. And the stylish bottle? It looks just fantastic on my counter top.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

A great women's perfume - a classic IMO. One of the most distinctive, elegant and best in recent years that I could see might get very mixed reviews. Very potent and assertive but still 100% feminine - a powerhouse that makes you think it comes from the 1980s, but I was surprised to find out it came out in the 90s. Was very commonly used about 10-15 years ago in London, and I still regularly come across women wearing it now.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Ultraviolet Fluorescence by Paco Rabanne

Fluoressence is lively, fun, sweet and intensely fruity (fruity as in tart red berries smoothed off with vanilla) making it perfect for hot & sunny weather daytime wear as well as at the beach, on holiday, etc. Although I bought it for my wife, I think this would also make a perfect present for a young teenager just getting into perfumes because of its fun and sunny demeanour and novel bottle. About the bottle: be wary that my wife's sprayer didn't work at the beginning and I almost took it back to the shop for an exchange/refund before I fiddled with it and luckily got it to work again. This perfume has good sillage and longevity which makes it far more impressive than the similarly sweet and berry-like YSL Parisienne.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This bottle contains within an angry caveman wielding a large club consisting of coffee beans spackled together with tar and cocoa powder, and a hint of citrus peel. He will overwhelm friend and foe alike, and if you befriend him, he will not leave your vicinity for hours or even days. I do not believe that he is human, but some sort of synthetic museum bred caveman at that. BUYER BEWARE!

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Sweet, boozy, metallic, and musky manly...this scent is a unique gem for specific events like mud wrestling, curling, or midget tossing.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Love this one, smells like a decadent Christmas candle. I wear this for the holidays as it gets me in the holiday mood.

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Awesome opening, and thats all there is. Disappears like Keyser Soze.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Very classic smell, leather and woods and tobacco, but nothing worth spending the money Creed asks.

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Reminds me a bit of Fleur Du Male but the honeysuckle is cleaner. However, this is a clearly feminine floral scent that I'm not having any of.

Coriolan by Guerlain

Gender confusing scent that could be worn by anyone. Citrus opening, sage and green leaves in the middle, and a very smooth warm base. Unique scent that is excellent outdoors, might be a bit cloying/overpowering inside.

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

This is the bourgeoisie version of Creed's Selection Verte. Opening is very similar, but this is much more fleeting. Fades away within an hour, but that hour is light, clean, and lovely. Love this style of perfumery. Citrus burst at the beginning, the lavender comes out lightly then is tempered by the cedar while it lingers close to the skin. Very classy, unoffensive smell suited for a banquet or night at the theater.

Erolfa by Creed

Living in South Florida I visit the ocean alot. This scent becomes alive by the sea. The sea salt smell emerges, it becomes cleaner with an airy lemon scent, and it never devolves into that rich drydown so many attribute to Creed. Very unique scent, but to fully experience it wear it by the sea and be floored. A must try scent.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Tried this highly recommended and venerated scent and was disappointed. The violet is too much and it makes the scent too heavy. Cool Water has nothing on this scent however, as I did the comparison when trying. Green Valley has this beat hands down.

Green Valley by Creed

One of my top three favorite scents. Minty, fruity, floral, and then tempered by tobacco, this scent beats GIT easily. Very underrated scent, it feels elegant and powerful but not overpowering. Love this one.