Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

pinked's avatar

Frankincense & Myrrh by Jovan

I was 14 yrs. old when I recieved this perfume as a gift. It was a spray bottle the cap was golden and the print on the bottle was beautiful. I really don't know why I threw the bottle away. I looked for it when I ran out and it was no longer sold where I lived

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

A great teenage and college/university fragrance. It gets the girls, trust me. They will follow you in a pack. However, I have found that after about 2 hours it stays extremely close to the skin, but longevity is awesome on this one. I'm getting 8+ hours on my skin, so you go out to the club, find a girl because everyone in the room can smell you, you take her back to your place and as she's nuzzled in your arms she can smell you, but she's not dying from the fumes. This is probably the best "clothing store fragrance" I have ever smelled.

A++++

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Much better than ADG in my own opinion, more complex. This is a formal cologne, I wear it when I go to work.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This is one of the sexiest fragrances that I own, and it is also my most complemented fragrance. A lot of people have longevity and sillage problems with this, but I don't know why. I go one spray on the neck, one on each wrist and I am getting complements about it 8-10 hours later. For example. I'll leave with a group of buds at 6PM to go for supper and clubbing. By after supper I'm just getting into the heart notes, I really get the port wine on my skin but at the same time I can still smell the lavender and cinnamon. Around 2 o clock, girls are still smelling me, especially the tobacco drydown and I'm taking them home. This thing is the best wingman you'll ever have, dont just take my word. Go try it.

birdbrain's avatar

Thé Pour un Été by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I agree with Lorenzo88. Perfect jasmine tea. This my beginning foray into scent reviews so feel very lame and tongue-tied. This is a perfectly acceptable frag but does not inspire me at all. I will not purchase a full bottle when my sample is finished.

Darvant's avatar

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

Fresh spicy fougere that reminds to me a sort of less watery kind of Drakkar Noir, although better equipped and much more solid. Nice scent for spare time out in summer evenings of North-East Europe (a past experience of mine in the Baltic area few years ago). The fruity starting is the prelude to a spicy very aromatic, a bit balsamic, heart (coriander, cardamom, caraway, juniper) which slides in to a woody musky base. Unfortunately not so distinctive and unique, this is not the kind of scent particularly beloved by women.

17 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Live Jazz opens up with and AMAZINGLY authentic spearmint note. Very natural, smooth, cooling and fresh. A little bit of grapefruit there behind it, but mostly the more unique lemon accord from the lemon peel. It's not as lemony, a bit more natural. Very awesome opening.

Unfortunately, it's gone within 20 minutes, but the middle notes are quite nice as well. I get a little bit of coriander, still some mint (though far more toned down), a little more of the lemon peel and grapefruit, and some soft floral notes. After a while, the coriander pretty much takes over the fragrance, it stays this way for a while. I wouldn't quite call it the base notes, more of a long phase of coriander that is stuck in between the middle and base notes. The cedarwood is pretty noticeable in the dry down, it's a bit spicy as well, and backed with just 'a hint of vanilla' as very well stated in the note pyramid. The spearmint weaves in and out of this fragrance as well, comes and goes.

For me, longevity isn't what I want it to be, I get about 5 hours usually, and that's on a good day. It projects nicely for the first 30 minutes or so, but if you apply it to your clothing, you can almost guarantee longer projection with this one.

For what it's worth though, aside from my small complaints on longevity and projection. This is truly an excellent fragrance, and probably one of the best 'bang for your buck' scents, that you will find. It's unique for the warmer months, Spring and Summer, but can be worn year round for sure.

We have an herbal garden here outside, and grow spearmint leaves, and I gotta say, Live Jazz's spearmint note is very very natural when comparing it to the actual spearmint. One of the best takes on spearmint in the industry.

17 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2011)

subhuman85's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I like to compare A*Men to blue cheese – not in terms of smell, of course, but in appeal. One does not come out of the womb loving A*Men. One works up to A*Men, braces him/herself for it, acquires a taste. It is not, like so many of its counterparts in the fragrance department, eager to please. In fact, upon first spray, it seems expressly designed NOT to please: A blast of peppermint, tar, industrial-strength lavender, nuclear bergamot, and over-extracted espresso grounds greets the nose, with all the subtlety and harmony of a jackhammer against a marble floor. It is an unholy brew, with little obvious appeal beyond sheer "WTF" audacity. At this point, most right-thinking people quickly put down the tester and scramble for some hand sanitizer, myself included. But soft! Give it time, and the mint fades, the lavender calms, and the coffee takes on a robust, silky quality. A vivid dark chocolate note creeps in, flanked by vanilla and caramel. Patchouli and cedar sing an alluring background harmony, and a hint of powder and musk play a smooth backing track. The drydown is a velvety combination of caramel, patchouli, toffee, and a hint of leather, with a clear family resemblance to its big sister. (Both Angel and A*Men could be worn by either gender, for the record.) My repulsion turns to shock at the 180-degree turn things have taken, then to pure lust as I sniff my wrist compulsively and crave coffee ice cream.

It took me a good two years of occasional testing to finally come around to A*Men's brash character and high-calorie charm, and now I'm head over heels for the stuff. What once struck me as high-pitched and overexposed now seems vibrant and hypnotic. It's true that the volume of the entire production is dialed awfully high – don't wear A*Men to the office – but I finally realized that A*Men's brand of rough-edged appeal is exactly what I look for in a perfume. This is no fragrance for wimps, nor for anyone who favors the soft-spoken or transparent. A*Men is solid, lush, and full-bodied; if most men's fragrances are string quartets playing Pachelbel, A*Men is an orchestra playing Wagner. In a confectionary.

17 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2012)

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Rich yet subtle, refined yet bold, spicy yet fresh, Bois du Portugal is a truly intoxicating fragrance.

Reputed to be a favorite of both Frank Sinatra and Paul Newman. I also imagine this would be the natural scent of a swashbuckling Erroll Flynn's skin aboard a pirate ship, warmed by the sun, splashed by seaspray. It oozes masculinity and authority.

A certain maturity is required to wear this properly. Frat boys who bathe themselves in sweet citrusy, flowery or musk-driven fragrances need not apply. This is unlike anything you find on the Sephora shelf.

Bergamot (barely noticeable), lavender, cedar, Mysore sandalwood, vetiver and ambergris combine to create the awesomely sexy Bois du Portugal.

Yes, it's pricey, but you'll never find yourself in a room where every other guy has this on.

I wear it because I love it. The added bonus is that women (25+) also find it attractive.

17 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2012)

Pugsley_f5's avatar

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

Wow all the supposed "collectors" on here not one person said what Givenchy was trying to mimic with this fragrance..soo obvious...this fragrance mimics (very well) Davidoff Relax...almost to a T...just like davidoff relax...not as strong though...a good one though nonetheless...it still has that same rubber/marshmellowy goodness to it just like Relax...

zztopp's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Notes: Lemon, Lime and Lavender, Pine, Musk and Black pepper

The flagship fragrance of the english house Penhaligons, Blenheim Bouquet (BB) is a stoic, angular and very British composition. An ofcourse by "very British" that it would imply that it uses a mixture of natural smelling citrus notes and eugenol-powered notes such as eucalyptus, pine or menthol. In the case of BB, the proper, uptight images of royalty are painted through a clear, tart, lime-dominated citrus blast subtly supported by a workmanlike lavender note before the star twist emerges..considering that in circa early 1900s most EDC-type fragrances were extremely ephemeral liquids of splash-on pleasure lasting barely 15mins, BB distinguishes itself by eschewing a typical floral and/or herbs laden heart and inserting a cool, foresty pine note in the middle of its transition which when married to a spicy-pepper note conjures a distinctive peppery-pine-foresty aroma which to this day conjures an element of British Raj plundering through the Himalayas. Despite a simple structure with an almost barren heart notes phase and only musk to support the pine-pepper accord, BB somehow manager to showcase more muscle than the typical EDC of the 1900s.

Distinctive, aloof, randy, a simpleton but learned though Prince Charles might be, these are all the words I can also use to describe BB. Oriental/Chypre/heavy-frag pigs may dismiss BB as yet another simple "citrus frag", but everyone else should atleast give this conservative yet somewhat edgy juice a spritz...

Rating: 8.25/10.0

neal's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Should have been named Le Femâle.

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This reminds me of Guerlain’s Apres L’Ondee, but more metallic, more austere. I don’t get a carrot note here that others talk about. Unusual and very different than any other Lutens I have tried. If I were considering purchasing this, I would suggest trying Apres L’Ondee first.

Omniscent 0.96 by Yosh

A mess of tuberose and tobacco, excessively sweet and something I wish I knew less of.

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It reminds me of the scented towels they give you in restaurants, sans the warmth. Citrus and cotton. Clean. In the fragrance world, it reminds me of Nautica’s White Sail, which is relatively cheap and preceded this Lutens offering. Nothing wrong with L’Eau, but I will pass at its price.

paintdallas's avatar

Estée Super by Estée Lauder

How did I wear this for so long? I was young and foolish and had no idea that I was probably knocking nice people on their keister - it is a bit scary actually. So glad we have better choices today. I also did something very strange to the fragrance - I actually had an Estee sales person not recognize it on me and it is a VERY unique scent. It is a fierce one.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

Despite being called White, it actually seems to have more color than the Green, though that isn't really saying much. And although it has more color, it has less actual scent. I used an entire sample and got very little out of this and I simply cannot recommend it for that reason. The Blanc is such an astonishing combination of dull and weak that you'll wish you wore something else about five minutes after you've applied it.

Bois des Îles by Chanel

The best of les exclusif. I can see the relation to Egoiste.

Demi-Jour by Dana

This rating is for the original Houbigant version. A beautiful floral fragrance (violet/rose) and a hint of spice. The Dana version smells nice-but just a watered down version of the original

Idéal by Houbigant

A very green scent Very similar to Yama and Monsieur Houbigant cologne without the musk. By the way I do not see a listing on here for Monsieur Houbigant cologne for men. There are two versions-the other is Monsieur Houbigant Musk.

Essence Rare by Houbigant

Floral,green, mossy and woody, touch of aldehydes. It also wears close to the skin. Can easily be worn by both sexes! I have the pure perfume.

Aperçu by Houbigant

Another great scent by Houbigant and very unisex. I have both the edt and the pure perfume version. it stays very close to the skin and last for as long as 12 hrs on my skin. Beautiful oakmoss chypre- with subtle hints of cinnamon, cloves, rose and sandalwood. One of my faves!

Sportsman by Houbigant

Citrus cologne with a hint of spice. I'd put it in same category as Pierre Cardin, but with less spice.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

This is a very young, juvenile, teenage cologne! Its fresh, sweet like Pink bubble gum to my nose. While it wont offend anyone, O 1 should be so lucky! Also may I add it does not last long either, if this is what your into for a frag, than I suggest go for what you know. I wont give it a thumbs down, but I am going to give it a neutral rating on the more thumbs down side.

Pimpinett's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Sandalwood by Demeter Fragrance Library

My personal reference sandalwood is a vintage Roger&Gallet soap that has scented the medicine cupboard in the family cabin for my entirely life. I think my grandma brought it there in the 60's, and apparently no one else liked it much, because it has been there untouched since then - strong, medicinal, rich and, I suppose, natural. This Demeter smells a lot like it, which is exactly what I wanted, plain and simple.
    Can fall apart a little and turn a little plastic-smelling on me, but it usually pulls itself together again, and for what it is, it's nice enough.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Moschino Couture! by Moschino

Somewhat screechy, synthetic and a little anorexic. But guess what? The composition somehow works! There's a vibrancy to it that evokes a sense of fun and youthful frivolity. And it smells like nothing I have tried before. Could it be the poppy?

Notes from Osmoz.com
    *****************
    bergamot, pepper, mandarin, yellow poppy, jasmine, pomegranate blossom, poppy seeds, benzoin, vanilla, cedar

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Hmmm...smells like a watered-down clone of YSL Body Kouros. Up close, the anise and violet accord could take some getting use to but in sillage it is actually quite smooth and rounder, sweeter than it is bitter. Projection is average but longevity is poor, lasting no more than 4 hours even with a generous application. 8 hours you say? Well, not on my skin.

Anyway here's the bottomline: skip this, get Body Kouros. Or better yet, go with the EDP-strength smooth operator, 1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums. If you find the Lolita enjoyable, 1725 would probably put you in anise heaven.

Notes from Osmoz.com
    *****************
    absinthe, rum, ivy, violet, anise, barley water, cedar, vetiver, cistus, vanilla, musk

Nile_Etland's avatar

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

At first sniff this is a beautiful fragrance and on smelling it I know exactly what Ellena means by a skin perfume. I also think I know what he means by a perfume that becomes a part of you rather than one that you wear. However that's not what I want and the logic might equally apply to my buying myself a beautiful designer outfit - and only wearing it in the privacy of my own home.

There is balance in all things. At one end of the spectrum there are beautiful (but rather too discrete) beauties like this, at the other fabulous fortissimo creations like Poison but I think that there will be relatively few people who will want to be either so loud or so quiet in the perfumes they choose to wear - I certainly want to be able to enjoy my fragrances and this is so vanishingly quiet that two minutes after I've sprayed it it has practically disappeared. It makes me think of those clever individuals who create beautiful sculptures out if a grain of rice, it's amazingly clever but I think I'm missing the point, and at about £150 a bottle (I bought it quite a long time ago and can't remember exactly how much it cost) I want something that lasts.

I can't give it a thumbs-down as it really is a beautiful fragrance but the only way to enjoy it is to spray it on every ten minutes because that's as long as it lasts.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Missoni Acqua by Missoni

I love Tocade so tried (and loved) Missoni, feeling at this point I was on a roll & anything Maurice Roucel created would be my sort of thing in a big way I hunted this one out and tried it - oh dear, NOT for me.

iLikeCologne's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This cologne is really good smelling, the bottle is super sexy, but it doesn't last on me, it lasts about 2-4 hours only, and it projects medium low strength. And for the price it is super bad, but because of how amazing it smells and looks, my rating is Neutral.