Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

khrystyna's avatar

al01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

this is very generic floral aroma, a little bit on the sweeter side and very volatile (as the whole biehl parfumkunstwerke seems to be)

t42v's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

A great starter fragrance you can wear anytime and always smell great. its great for work and for just going out. it lasts for hours! and remains a great scent throughout when on the skin a fantastic buy.

Iseult's avatar

White Linen by Estée Lauder

I, too, got free samples of this stuff in the mid 1980s. This is the single most HORRID fragrance on the market today. It is hard to believe that the same people who brought us Youth Dew and Beautiful came up with this nasty brew!

WHAT were they thinking?

On me, this smells like Dettol (a disinfectant) and vinegar. It doen't even TURN rancid on me ... it STARTS out rancid. This is like sliding down a 40-foot razor blade into a pool of iodine. It hurts to even REMEMBER how this stuff smells. This is the olfactory equivalent of Howard Stern: offensive all the time, with no depth or nuance.

And here is the really weird thing: the citrus, orris, cedar, amber, and sandal are all notes I love. They are totally masked by those disgusting aldehydes.

Clearly, another example of a good idea, badly executed. The name is wonderful, though, conjuring up fresh and crisp laundry hanging on the line, or a newly-pressed white shirt on your skin in the heat of the afternoon.

Estee Lauder should take a crack at re-formulating this. White Linen needs softness and depth. With so many fragrances that are "dumbed down" or reformulated due to expensive or unavailable materials, this one urgenly needs a makeover. There's no where to go but up for this sad orphan in the Estee Lauder line.

travcom13's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

If you are young and looking for a sporty, fresh fragrance that can be worn at work or at play, Allure Homme Sport is the one to own.

I put this on in the morning before work (just 2 sprays to the chest, both UNDERNEATH my shirt) and got a compliment from a girl over eight hours later! DON'T let the oldies talk you out of it--you'll smell fresh and sweet all day long, and the ladies (young and old) LOVE this stuff. Sure, there are more sophisticated colognes out there, but just because I like filet minon doesn't mean I wont eat a good cheeseburger.

Allure Homme Sport IS that cheeseburger.

Séxual pour Homme by Michel Germain

A great fragrance but I'm just too young for it. It developes into this crazy sexy aroma that draws people into you. In 10 years maybe this will be my cologne of choice.

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

It's not original or anything spectacular, but it gets me compliments almost every time that I wear it.

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

A very clean and good smelling scent, I just wish it would last longer and the sillage was better.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

I really get a strong mocha out of this, but it's not a chocolate mocha, it's more coffee based scent right off the top. And am I the only one who things this is powdery stuff? I don't know how, or why, it just smells like a deep fragrance off the top. I have have lasting problems with this one. Between 2 and 8 hours.

Slate by Banana Republic

This will last forever on your skin, and it projects just right. Not too strong, not too weak. The fragrance seems too feminine for me, but I could see it being used for office wear and such.

Real for Him by American Eagle

Too sweet, too weak, didn't project enough. I got stuck with this cologne for Christmas and I've been trying to get rid of it. Would maybe suit someone who is 8-14 years old.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

The ladies go nuts for this where I live, but I don't like to wear it because I don't like the smell. It induces headaches and the anise on the top wreaks it, they should have found something else to blend in there.

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

It's a good scent for the younger crowd I think. And by that I mean 12-16 year olds. This is too sweet for me, and comes off woody at the start for a while. I've had major lasting problems, you have to shower in the stuff to get compliments.

cucumberman's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

very good for me, smell soapy but very nice

cucumberman's avatar

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

this bother me, long lasting scent. smell very syntetic.not for me.

rostow's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I don't like it..mildly spoken...it's importunate, odd, strange. Nothing for me.

ga97's avatar

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

I have version from the 1950's and the scent holds up. One of the best ferns ever produced.

18th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23rd December, 2010)

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

True Star by Tommy Hilfiger

I picked a bottle of this up on a whim and I don't regret it for a minute! I was browsing a TH sale, bypassed Tommy Girl which honestly, I find a little noxious and always end up with a headache when I try to wear it (though it smells great on some people) and was ready to feel similarly about True Star but to my surprise it was a completely different beast.

Shades of Issey Miyake but less instantly recognisable (but by no means less special), an advantage in my opinion, it is subtle, sensuous in a light, complex (but not astringent or ascerbic, as many complex fragrances seem to be) way.

For me, this one is about as good as it gets if you want a light fragrance that still has personality- understated, watery & softly oriental yet hints at depth (deep water?). Lovely. BIG thumbs up! Perfect for work.

18th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2011)

cheryl's avatar

Chypre de Coty by Coty

I have a sample, date undetermined. This is a goddess, a divine presence, remarkable. But it is not friendly or inviting. To me it is like a a dark green and grey river, wafting up odd rich mossy floral notes. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a perfume. Admiration. I want it to call my name though.

ga97's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

One of the best eau de colognes on the market. It starts out like a traditional edc with neroli top notes, but then rose and bergamont take over. I always spritz my clothes as well so the scent will last longer.

Jasper_jt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

Pretty good summer fragrance. It has quite a lot together with Nautica Voyager, though, more consistent, with better longevity. Nice blue-mossy fragrance for daily use. And not expensive at all. 18€ in tax-free in Spain.

Tony T's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

22 years old and should be retired. very bold and masculine overbearing and overpowering scent. for the over 40 crowd for sure!!

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

1876 by Histoires de Parfums

A rounded juicy scent that is primarily a deep rose on my skin ,spice-y ,rich ,full with accents of blackcurrant and lychee which enhance the rose note wonderfully. It is gorgoeus and long lasting .Femme Fatale indeed!

shamu1's avatar

Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

This newer version of C&E's Sandalwood gets an undeserved bad rap, and I don't know why. Their original Sandalwood used mysore sandalwood, which is the now-endangered type of Indian sandalwood, and which has an inherently rich, warm, exotic and complex smell, almost as if it were an accord of various exotic wood oils. I suspect this new version uses Australian sandalwood, which is good but is nowhere near as complex and rich as the stuff from India. By itself, Australian sandalwood to me smells like dry, expensive sawdust.

If this newer Sandalwood uses Australian sandalwood, then C&E deserves a pat on the back, because this is a rich, exotic and complex fragrance. It smells like they did their best to replicate the smell of mysore sandalwood by adding other oils to the sandalwood oil. I think they succeeded. Though this doesn't smell quite as "creamy" as C&E's original mysore scent, it's pretty close. It's spicy, multifaceted and rich, unlike the new version of Santal Noble, which is clearly not mysore sandalwood and just smells like sawdust with fruit.

I just don't understand the bad reviews. I have to think the negative reviews are from people who aren't sandalwood fans. This is a discreet and elegant fragrance, with excellent longevity. A winner all the way.

MY RATING: 8/10

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Nightscape by Ulrich Lang

One of the notes that have grown on me over the past year is 'patchouli'. From dusty-earthy, to cool-minty, even musty-woodsy, patchouli's multi-faceted character makes it an excellent partner to lend nuance and depth to many fragrance compositions.

I usually favor a light-handed interpretation when it comes to having patchouli as the main attraction and with Ulrich Lang's cool NIGHTSCAPE, it probably doesn't get any lighter. This is a wistful and haunting take on patchouli, evoking a lover's whispers in the still of the night. It hugs me close and wears comfortably as a skin musk.

Along with the similar but more classically-inspired Noir Patchouli from Histoires de Parfums, Nightscape has just become my other favorite patchouli scent. Another satisfying blind buy, thanks to Basenotes!

Dorian Gray's avatar

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

I seem to be creating a collection of 'curry' scents. I love Indian food, and now it seems, I want to smell like it. So Ive added this to a selection of Eau Noire, L'Autre, Serge Noire and Declaration. Seems I cant get enough of cumin or imortelle.
    I get a slightly boozy rum accord from FB, very thick and rich and if I was to compare it Id choose Sables with a bit of added sweetness, but not too much.

D.Sprad's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

1 spray pushed 30 hours on me.

Sweet, smells pleasant.

Has many intervals - it appears gone and then is back stronger than before.

Loud and obnoxious at first, and dries down to a pleasant, sweet, warm scent.

I like it. A lot.

jayjupes's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

gorgeous. but with nothing that cuts.
    beautiful but not aching.

BayKAT's avatar

Champagne de Bois by Sonoma Scent Studio

When this developed on me I had one thought: Organza Indecence, the discontinued version which I just tried a few months ago.

This dries down to a similar warm, resinous wood mix with just a touch of edge. i know there aren't that many notes in common between these two, so i'm not sure what i'm picking up on.
    (warm spices and woods most likely, as Mals brings up)

This is a good one; i really enjoyed it. The opening is OK, it doesn't get going for me until the 45 min mark. Good longevity, too.

BayKAT's avatar

Field Notes from Paris by Ineke

If you are curious about this one I feel like asking "how well do you like coriander, cedar and tonka?"

But its not that easy, as i can point to these notes in other perfumes (where they aren't as strong) and like it just fine. I just don't like them here. Here they are very pronounced, and to me are a bit grating.

To put it more simply: I'm sitting in the bed with my boyfriend, relaxing after a day at the beach and a stop at a pizza joint. The Italian sausage was a little too spicy, and let's just say that when my boyfriend said 'sorry' I immediately stuck my nose in my shirt.

I soon realized I had to chose between two evils, and the natural smell won out. Sorry Field notes; perhaps if we ate Mexican you'd have fared better.

TalkingMuffin's avatar

Royal Delight by Creed

like the name implies, this frag is like spraying yourself with Creme Brulee. So sweet, so decadent.

can't say it smells bad, but the leather/vanilla is just too much for me. while it technically smells great, i just can't imagine any situation where this would be appropriate. this is the definition of "cloying" to me. everytime i try it, i eventually have to wash it off after a couple of hours.