Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Tourbillion's avatar
    Tourbillion

Face à Face Homme by Façonnable

I have this in the form of a sample card with both pour Homme and pour Femme attached. I don't wear the masculine scent myself, but I thought I would for this review. The notes listed on the card are:
    Juniper
    Lily of the Valley
    Cedar wood
    Sandalwood
    Ambergris

It is described as a woody aromatic transparent fragrance and indeed it does transmit a sense of transparency. All I get of the top notes is the Juniper with a hint of pepper, but the woody dry down is soft and nice.

Scarlet Rain by Mandarina Duck

Nonedescript, dull fruity-floral. Hardly any sillage, gone in less than 1 hour. Very cheap-looking bottle. Not recommended!

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

Very generic, boring "amber scent", making use of loads of synthetic aroma-chemicals. Neither unpleasant nor fascinating, it doesn't contain any new ideas or new combinations - it's a tune heard so often before, and performed in a better way by others ("Ambre Russe" for example).

Effluve's avatar
    Effluve

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

The thing is, I want perfume to smell good, period. Smelling like an old leather handbag (Kelly or not) is just not very attractive to me. If I met someone who was wearing this, I would recoil in horror. Frankly, to my nose, this is a vile juice.

arwen_elf's avatar
    arwen_elf

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

I love the opening. It smells like spicy wine, or some sort of cyder, although I don't believe it has any apple. I think all Frapin fragrances are very carefully made, well blended, with quality ingredients.

The notes are (courtesy of Luckyscent): exotic woods, spice, raisin, vine flowers, pepper, candied orange, nut, hazelnut, prune, cocoa, coffee, leather, woods, white honey, vanilla.

What troubles me a bit is the drydown, it seems a bit unremarkable to me as I was expecting to smell more leather, cocoa or coffee, but I relly cannot detect any of them except for woods, honey, and vanilla. I wished I could extend the top notes. However, I have to say that my sample does not have a sprayer, perhaps that makes a difference in the drydown.

This perfume is well worth a try, since the top and heart notes are so beautiful and different from anything else I have smelled. This is a little bit gourmand, a little bit flowery, a little bit fruity, a little bit spicy, all in perfect balance. I am glad that I have tried this several nights this week, so I have time to think about the notes and my perception of them.

dimplesg's avatar
    dimplesg

Hard Candy by Hard Candy

Not sure about this one yet. I bought it on a whim in the shops - 100ml bottle for £14.99. I prefer the dry down smell. On first spraying this perfume it smelt a bit fly spray'ish to me. I need to wear it a bit more but good value for money anyway.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

I have to disagree with tvlampboy here, in that I don't find this "perfumey" at all. I obtained a bottle in a swap, without ever sampling it, so I feared that it might have strong geranium, for example, which can created what I consider to be a "perfumey" quality. Instead, I agree with 20scents. This is really smooth, but I don't find it especially fresh. It seems to have a minor animalic note, actually, but it's so smooth that no note can cause "spiking" issues. I don't find it "powdery" because it's not dry enough for that, nor do I consider it "creamy" because the blending is just right, and it seems to stop just short of creaminess. The only "negative" I could imagine is that some might find this boring or lacking in dynamism after a while. It seems "natural" enough and the longevity and projection ("sillage") are at least very good with my skin chemistry.

This seems to be the "blurb" on it (on various sites): "a sharp, oriental, floral fragrance. This masculine scent possesses a blend of oriental notes with sandalwood and patchouli." Don't expect to actually smell sandalwood or patchouli, however. I don't really think of it as an oriental fragrance, because it's not especially sweet and I don't detect much if any spice. How anyone can call it "sharp" is beyond my comprehension, unless the top notes are (which I avoid as much as possible). My guess on the notes: iris/orris, white floral, lemon, civet, amber and/or heliotrope, and perhaps moss. I'd say there are at least several others, which certainly could include sandalwood and patchouli, but the blending makes it difficult for me to feel confident about my ability to determine what's in here. Whatever the notes are, the perfumer did an excellent job of creating a unique fragrance (AFAICT) that is pleasant and technically sound.

cathodera's avatar
    cathodera

Bijan by Bijan

A young family member proudly presented Mr cathodera with a bottle of Bijan.

He picked it out all by himself and bought it with his own pocket money. (I suspect his choice may have been swayed by Bijan being the only available fragrance that did not cost more than the pocket money).

But it was an important rite of passage, and to honor it, Mr cathodera wears his Bijan on occasions when the little giver will be present, and I tend to spend as much time as possible, on those occasions, as far as I can get from Mr cathodera.

Maybe it's because I've never been a big amber fan. I don't really like "sweet" fragrances very much, so Bijan probably never had a chance with me.

It reminds me of a long-ago accident incident involving a simultaneous spill of Hove's amber and their carnation.

Though to my knowledge Bijan doesn't have any carnation, there is just that sweet spiciness of carnation there, that with the amber, makes me think of looking down on that oh-so-fashionable avocado green shag carpet, thirstily gulping my two least-favorite perfumes that Hove makes, and frantically wondering how long and with whom I would have to couch surf, because there was no way I was going to sleep in that apartment until it had been thoroughly aired out.

I guess the takeaway from that story is, if you love Bijan, but can't find any, just dump some Hove amber and carnation on yourself, and your nose will never be the wiser.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Odalisque by Parfums de Nicolaï

A beauty of a fragrance. This is a review for vintage Odalisque given to me by a thoughtful perfume friend. I shall cherish it because I am sure it no longer smells this way .My first impression is that this is a wonderful piece of classic perfumery . A lovely , potent chypre that soars in the heart notes . I smell the lily which is fore front to me but it's so well blended and the perfume as a whole, has a distinctive air. I agree with Hillaire that it does smell somewhat like vintage Patou's1000 but I find vintage 1000 more powdery .This is crisper ,cleaner ,brighter , on a higher octave. Also some resemblance to Eau de Soir- it's that kind of grand dame chypre.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Prowl by Neil Morris Fragrances

This is so good ! Addictive ,delicious ,dark and sweet musk .it's just the rest blend of animal and warm skin. Warm fur ,a great tuberose note ,oakmoss....wow ! I love this. Very original ,sexy - a vamp fragrance. Loses that intensity and then hums along as very patchouli -amber - vanilla . Very sniffable and wearable.

Harmony's avatar
    Harmony
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

West Broadway by Bond No. 9

Absolutely beautiful and sexy perfume. I have tried hard and this perfume is the winner of collecting complements from men (none from ladies). I do not smell any lime, no crisp green notes either. Some Lilies, and a lot of Roses, sweet summer roses from Greece or Italy. Vanilla is added just to make men crazy, it is the vanilla used for Chanel 5. No hesitation there, it is a celebration of love, desire and lust. It stays on for a long time, and musk just gives it a modern twist.

Private Collection - Corps et Ames by Parfumerie Generale

What an oversight in the perfume community. I do understand these PG PC ones are hard to get to and hard to sample, but this fragrance is extraordinary.

A true chypre-lovers chypre. And here I have been jadedly pondering the possibility that there are no new chypres out there to wow me anymore.

This has a very woody, bracing sort-of men's chypre facet (think Chant's creations) and almost too-woody base, but also a very floral sillage, that is almost delicate and seems to pop away from the on-skin fragrance.

Its rosy heart is dark and dirty and ties the hard leather base to the flightier floral aspect with the mediating aplomb to create a unified, riveting, very-noticeable, fatale of a daring chypre.

It bears a clear kinship to both 'Knowing' and Tom Fords 'Arabian Wood', with its slinky darkness and its soapy granular quality respectively.

Fantastic. Recommended. Five Stars.

xiikzodz's avatar
    xiikzodz

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

Green from the top to the bottom.

It makes its mark in the very beginning. Most other green fragrances turn grey in direct comparison.

Then it moves towards the study of a mown hay. At first it is fresh with herbal meadow-like qualities. Then it slowly advances towards sweeter, warmer as the mown hay does when it starts to release coumarin.

Finally, all that subsides to reveal what was there from the very beginning waiting patiently for its turn. Woody and warm, yet still quite green, character rounded up with vetiver and soothing heliotrop(ine).

actiasluna's avatar
    actiasluna

Cabotine by Grès

I am usually not much of a fan of flowery scents. (as one office mate called it, "FLOWERDY")... however, Cabotine is an exception. There is a lovely greenness to the top notes that is refreshing, and the middle notes are flowery indeed, but in a very good way to my nose, fresh, not too sweet, not generic perfumey at all... and I would bet that the vetiver in the base is what helps anchor all the ingredients that make up this scent. I do get the impression it's a MUST TEST FIRST as there are enough other reviews that say it turns horrible on the reviewer's skin... but my own experience says that this is a winner... and an affordable one as well. (check out your TJ MAXX's, they have a lot of it in right now (July 2010) for "a song"... I like it very much and needed something green and "flowerdy" for the summer, and Cabotine is it.

SQ_flyer's avatar
    SQ_flyer
    Greece Greece

Versace l'Homme by Versace

A fantastic scent. Had it at the end of '80s, then gave away my last bottle to a friend in college... Big mistake, never to be repeated. A beautiful and underrated creation that became a classic for those who know.

Sal Paradise's avatar
    Sal Paradise

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

One of the most disappointing frangrences I have ever purchased blindly, I have never been a big fan of metallic based scents but that is what my skin radiates from this frag. Smells like a host of other newbies with no personality of it's own...
    If I were to judge Creed from this one scent I would say they were way overrated but since I haven't tried any of their other bottles I will not pass judgement. Give me any Guerlain anyday compared to this and I will be content...

fitch256's avatar
    fitch256

Aramis Life by Aramis

Not bad. This starts out reminding me of Sprite, with the lime and I get a bit of lemon with it. Dry down has a little spice, but I got mostly the lime-lemon throughout most of it. Longevity and projection are OK.

redrose's avatar
    redrose

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Most certainly Paris has been reformulated. I suspected this, but couldn't find an old bottle to compare with the new. Then last night, sorting through my sweater drawer, I came across a bottle of the EdP I'd bought two years ago and used up - now just a few drops left, so I'd put it in with my clothes to scent them. Out of curiosity, I sprayed the remaining few drops of 2008 vintage Paris on my right arm, and spritzed my left arm with the 2010 version. What a difference! The original had volume, subtlety, presence and longevity. I could still smell it this morning before showering! But the new version had completely vanished. And it was a much thinner, slighter scent. A wraith of Paris, in fact! A number of the huge florals had been replaced by notes of tea, chamomile and some unidentifiable smells. What a pity. I shan't buy it again.
    Fortunately, I now have La Rose de Rosine, which I absolutely love, not least because it smells a lot like the original Paris! Wonderful!

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Vetiver by Guerlain

Vetiver by Guerlain is the definition of a classic traditional vetiver for men. Lemon, vetiver, touches of tobacco and woods in the base. Not very complicated, not easy to dislike. Something about the chemical composition of this fragrance bothers my sinuses a bit, but not enough to prevent me from wearing it. I don't think any vetiver will ever blow me away, and this one certainly doesn't (I prefer the more contemporary-smelling Original Vetiver by Creed), but it's pleasant enough, and just the thing for a hot summer day. Beware of those who get a "bugspray" vibe from this, however - they may be on to something there.

02 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2010)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Now this is some very nice fragrance. Very wet indeed. Calvin Klein Truth for men is an obvious copy of this scent, so all of you Boss Elements Aqua lovers who are having problems with obtaining it, CK Truth for men is the answer. To say the truth, I was a little bit surprised when I smelled this scent. I was expecting something sharper, but it didn't dissapoint me at all, but surprised me! Couple of friends of mine were telling me that this scent was best Boss scent to them and they feel sorry it is unobtainable in Croatia. It is a very versatile fragrance good for whole year. Longevity and projection are great.

Update: This one really grew on me, distinctive and very viril, invigorating. Definitely not for winter. One will pull of maximum out this one in spring and summer.

02 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2011)

tsuzumi's avatar
    tsuzumi

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I got the original one when it first came out--a vanilla bomb, very exotic in those days. When I got a mini of the current version, I was very disappointed. However, I recently transferred the mini (a dabber) to an atomizer, and it made a huge difference. It is quite unique, very exotic--I understand why some might feel it is 'old man.' But I like it--it is exotic, oriental (maybe even in the non-fragrance use of the word, perceived as derogatory by Edward Said). I can imagine a middle-aged woman trying to pose as a gypsy fortune teller using this--that sounds negative, but I somehow I like this--maybe it is a caricature of exoticism. Anyway, I still miss the original, but this has become much more interesting to me now that I have it in a spray.

02 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I have great consideration about Jacques Polge, the creator of masterpieces like Chanel Coromandel, Egoiste and Ungaro lll, notwithstanding i can't avoid to tell that this scent, an experimental link of honeysuckle, vanilla, citruses and fruits, is one of the worst around. I smell it as a repulsive, vile stuff and pronouncing these words is not usual to me (i tend to find out a story, a reason, an emotion behind each fragrance even if i don't particularly appreciate the same). Allure smells dirty, dissonant, pungent and fat, it conjures me those cheap unbalanced scents worn by several old women coming from far eastern lands. A wrong attempt to catch the train of the olfactory allure. A failure.

02 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2014)

Quarry's avatar
    Quarry

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

For today, I'm wearing a relatively new acquaintance, Creed Aubepine Acacia, a scent that smells fine in the heat of summer, but promises to fit autumn-time. For all the sniffing I've done, this one honestly earns the attribute "unique." The bright, citrus opening is exhilarating, then a mild, masculine phase arrives. I don't have real-life points of reference to name what I'm smelling—maybe tobacco-like, but there's no warmth or smoke. Would that make it like green tobacco? I don't know. And then the scent wanders in and out of my awareness with a green leather-like effect. AA makes for a wonderful and interesting companion. Smells like a millionaire on the weekend.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

I love this darkly seductive knockout scent...in very small applications. Once the top note blows away (and it can almost smell cleaning product like initially, on me anyway), it dries down to a deep, hidden night forest flower garden scent that is quite bewitching.
    I have the bubble bath, body sauce and perfume but would only use one of these at a time, definitely not layered; would be too much. The body sauce is lovely for a night out, a sneaky whiff of naughty rather than a punch.

Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle by Agent Provocateur

Ho hum. Not the best AP in my humble opinion! Lovely and light though, but not the statement of the original, maybe that makes it better for a lot of people? Might try this one again, could change my mind...

Agent Provocateur Strip by Agent Provocateur

This is the quieter sister of the original AP; still naughty but a LOT more subtle. My personal fave of the AP scents, whenever I wear this I get lots of compliments about how "warm" I smell. Sensuous and complex, not one of those in your face florals that leaves nothing but a headache behind it, this one for me leaves lingering memories of comfort, like a warm hug. A big thumbs up.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Here we have bitter orange, a touch rubbery, coupled with warm spicy notes, which I take to be cumin. Functionally, this reminds me of Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme, which features a cool citrus-warm spice contrast; the Kenzo offering featuring lime as its citrus note of choice. In my judgment the Kenzo offering is more wearable. I am fond of bitter orange notes, liking it much in Creed’s Citrus Bigarrade (two r’s there!), but the development there is a bit lacking to me. Unfortunately, Bigarade Concentree never escapes its rubberiness, and for me that ruins it.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Boisé Vanillé by Montale

Of Montale’s vanilla offerings, this one appears to be more targeted to male wearers, being the least sweet of the vanillas. The vanilla seems suffocated by a dense, muddy wood accord that makes Boise Vanille unwearable to me.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Aoud Flowers by Montale

Strikes me odd as that the first thoughts I had were "honey, rose and... Terre d'hermes?" Yeah I get a touch of the Iso E Super or whatever in conjuction with a honey note all surrounded by the infamous rosy/aoud note in all of aoud fragrances I've smelled. It's very dry but also sweet. It's a strange rift of notes.

blondex199667's avatar
    blondex199667

Déclaration Bois Bleu by Cartier

I really like this one. Although the original Declaration is unimpressive to me, Bois Bleu has a chilly, almost icy, effect that is very appealing to me. It's really the only aquatic, to my mind, that has true character and the wood gives it substantial projection and longevity. It really should be sampled by those who are looking for something bracing but not boring.