Reviews

Latest Reviews

Lights by Roads

There are many differences between a brand like this and one as “by Killian”!
We are apparently in front of two illustrious sons who try their own way in a business and in perfumery.
Danielle Ryan seems to start with less benefits, she doesn’t live in a world full of scents, but clouds and of course money.

However I want to express a concept: it would seem here that Danielle has learned to fly with her own wings!

The “by Killian” scents are examples of luxury, with all the kitsch support that luxury devours to be such, and with all easy shows and concepts for lovers of expensive perfume with niche brain.

The Roads perfumes, on the contrary, born from an anti-luxury concept, not only for the minimal design of the bottle (now all are minimal!!!) but just for the liquids, for the fragrances that are really different!
Let's say you pretend not to notice this orange tint due to artificial colors or synthetic jasmine, then sniff!
The scent (like the entire collection) whispers, and this could be considered a flaw, but the idea is clear!
The ingredients interact well, and the scent seems intended for a very specific customer! Who? Those traveling in poorly known places, who wears organic cotton, who is vegan, and so on... This is the target, nothing to say.
But between the pompous and luxurious triumph of nowhere and a concept so well developed and so reassuring there are a lot of clouds, flights, intelligence and Roads.

Fine notes of Bergamot and Artichoke, perhaps Violet leaves, they give it the right Lights!

A new vision! I like it.

by your amazing "interesting man in conflict"

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

07th July, 2015

Oud Stars : Zafar by Xerjoff

The smell of a barnyard, horse and hay, over a contrasting layer of musk. Quite potent. Interesting, but not for me.
07th July, 2015

Alèxandros by Re Profumo

This is the story of a secret agent who after a few years of honorable work is to become a conqueror!!!

Bond, Alexandros Bond (n°9), was soon to blend himself in among hundreds of teenagers in the footsteps of a scandalous topic gay! It was a concert of Bleecker Street Boys where he knew Hephaestus, a young charming unemployed, and the two fell in love! Alexandros, said Magno (but we will not know how and why), launched for the last time his hat on somewhere, and with a martini cocktail in the right and Hephaestus in his left, rode to the East, taking the reins of his macrocephalic horse with his tooth.

My opinion about the film Alexander is that the sensationalism of the homosexual aspects of the film at the end was not able to prevail over the stilted dialogue, the ridiculous speech, and harrowing downtime devoted to pose for models, furtive glances and double meanings from soap operas.
This scent is the same! A soap opera perfume where the drydown is very similar to the one of Bleecker Street (2005)!

The jasmine is in the center, waiting Cedarwood, Cinnamon just to make something! And when the party is starting here is the end with Patchouli, Amber, Vanilla, Sandalwood and maybe Birch too.

Another "masterpiece" of Italian storytelling!

Another way to lock the books as long as they do not weigh too much!

by your amazing "interesting man in conflict"

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

06th July, 2015 (last edited: 07th July, 2015)

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Time to show myself up as the novice I am. Tested it this morning, then re-applied this evening, from a small sample. Then just read some other reviews and I think I must have completely misunderstood this. The first image that flashed through my mind was water, a freshwater lake with the sun glittering on the water, wet skin, a woman, not a man, summer, and the colour blue. Sweet, fresh, watery, feminine, very pleasant, happy scent. I don't get forest, or darkness, or complication and I certainly don't get anything lupine or even canine in any way at all, except to admit that I do love the warm, nutty smell of the pads on dogs' feet! :). After reading the ingredients, I got the hazelnuts, and tasted in the back of my mouth, rather than smelled, the liquorice. Lots of honey. And something fresh I don't recognise. I don't think it's cedar, I know what that smells like. For me it's Red Riding Hood flopping down on her towel after a refreshing swim by the lakeshore, still in her swimming costume, in relaxed, holiday mood, her wet skin drying in the sun. Nothing big, hairy or menacing in sight... Very sweet, pleasant smell, but not for me. Still a thumbs up though.
(Apologies to those who say I've got this so completely wrong: you may be justified. But I resolve to be honest). :)

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Vintage GG is all about raunchy civet and patchouli masterfully smoothed with an airy velvet touch of honey and spice. The patch and civet remain front-and-center but are joined in the background by a classy suede accord and a touch of soapy lavender and rose. This says plainly: "old school." But then I ask myself: to what vintage scents is it closely related? No clear answer springs to mind and, from what I gather from my reading, GG largely was viewed as a singular offering back in the day because it stood on a dangerous knife-edge of being indecorously racy. Needless to say, if vintage GG stood apart from the crowd as too overt back then, in these days of chaste whistle-clean fragrances, vintage GG is practically a bottled carnival of human depravity.

Periplo by L'Erbolario

Periplo (together with scents as Corteccia, Magnolia or Vetiver de la Reunion, to quote just a little bunch) is another example of averagely synthetic "decent quality" craftsmanship at the fair cost from the italian brand L'Erbolario. A fantastically cheap aromatic accord of hesperides (mandarine and bergamot more than others), smoky herbal pattens, jasmine and woods (sandalwood in particular), overall surrounded by a mossy-herbal, smoky and citric aura. Periplo puts in a corner tons of far more expensive similar fragrances around and performs quite greatly in balance and distincion. This fragrance is a diaphane example of how is not indispensable spending lots of money to smell refined. I don't catch the "aquatic" elements in here (despite a touch of saltiness exuded by woods imo) while all is woodsy (woody-mossy), vegetal and citric, with a final tad of soothing balsams and (not listed) leather (at least under my nose). Really herbal and intensely woody-hesperidic in its central stage, subsequently soapy-woody-musky along dry down. The Periplo's woody accord conjures me vaguely (with all the necessary proportions in terms of quality and structure) the exquisite Etro Sandalo (especially due to a common smokey/bitter/dusty undertone) but the great Etro's one smells less hesperidic, drier and more spicy-incensey on my skin. Furthermore, scent a la Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood, Versace Versus Uomo or V&A TSAR come vaguely on mind for several of their characteristics. Anyway, a great scent if you are on a budget.
P.S: You will surely appreciate Periplo in case you like scents as Cartier Declaration, Cacharel Pour Homme, 7 de Loewe, Boss Elements.

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Another example of a “potential niche sensation” in a “neglected mainstream bottle”. Give this an obscure hipster name, make 50 bottles per batch when you feel to and get rich (if not in money, in praise and hype). Jokes aside, Kenzo Power is an extremely interesting fragrance, surely one of the most creative ones by this brand, and most important, tremendously easy and enjoyable to wear regardless of any added value. Power is a really bright, white, talc-like powdery scent with a fantastic bergamot opening, a sort of gassy-spicy vibe and a really recognizable tolu balsam note, which brings it really close to that other tolu bomb – Escada Magnetism for Men. Both share that same exact sort of “creamy-powdery-medicinal Cola feel”, and while in Escada it was bolder and more predictably integrated in a YSL M7 kind of structure, Kenzo Power brilliantly and perfectly fits it in a completely different, almost opposite ambiance – a delicate, weightless, futuristic sort of abstract floral whiteness, which gets some “substance” and a sweet darker shade precisely thanks to this odd balmy feel coming and going, cleverly balanced by a subtle but persistent feel of aromatic zesty freshness (bergamot). The only far comparison that came to my mind at some point was some sort of translucent lab hologram of a grandnephew of Jaipur Homme and Escada Magnetism for Men – fresher than both. Quality-wise the blend smells synthetic in a really pleasant, creative way, somehow soothing and somehow aloof, the kind of synthetic which you quite never smelled before (who said syntethics don’t require as much talent and creativity than naturals?). The result is a really clean and bright scent with a ton of personality, some really charming and enigmatic shades, decidedly androgynous, creepy and comforting at the same time. Fantastic for summer days. Really well done.

drseid Show all reviews

Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum by Aedes de Venustas

Aedes de Venustas (original 2008 version) goes on with very gently peppered carrot-like stark iris with a tinge of clear benzoin-derived sweetness. Moving to the early heart the gently spiced iris remains, now joined by fine co-starring radiant frankincense and natural smelling cedar, with relatively sanitized patchouli rising from the base in underlying support. During the late dry-down the iris and frankincense both recede, with a newly emerged patchouli infused vague woody accord taking the fore, with significant support from the remaining benzoin that now showcases its powdery vanilla-like facet through the finish. Projection is on the low side of average with the composition appearing close to a skin scent at times, but longevity is excellent at about 12 hours on skin.

Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan is the kind of composition that is hard not to like. It has a great nose behind it in Bertrand Duchaufour, and he certainly didn't hold back on his skillful blending techniques here. The iris immediately makes itself known right on skin application, but this is not your powdery make-up like iris seen in so many compositions today. Rather, this iris is more clinical and carrot-like. Joining the iris is just the slightest hint of peppery spice and sweetness, neither of which detract from its natural impact. Adding to the rather impressive natural effect of the composition in its key mid-section is the arrival of a gorgeous cedar wood and frankincense tandem that meshes perfectly with the iris with none of the notes overpowering the others. During the late dry-down the benzoin that was so subtle and lacking powder earlier, used as a slight sweetener to the iris turns slightly powdery as it joins what can only be described as "vague woods." Usually when one hears those words it is a precursor to mentioning the use of the dreaded woody synthetic norlimbanol, but honestly if it is used here I can't detect it, with the woods coming off as completely believable, just not easily identifiable. The late dry-down is less impressive and more mundane on the whole than the rest of the composition's development, but really this is an extremely minor quibble as in the end the whole thing is pretty darn good. The bottom line is the $185 per 100ml 2008 L'Artisan version of Aedes de Venustas is a fine example of Duchaufour at near the top of his game, earning it an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 and an enthusiastic recommendation to all.

Moramanga by Coquillete Paris

Coquillette Paris Moramanga starts by soon as a fizzy-rubbery floral fist in your face, extremely intense and balsamic. I detect a main "central" accord of ylang-ylang and tuberose which (especially in its connection with musk, jasmine, spices, orange blossoms and resins) conjures me powerfully the classic Blu by Bruno Acampora, an historical take on tuberose/jasmine accord (the first of the two notes as central, the second accessorial, either supported by a spicy-exotic ylang-ylang). I actually detect an unquestionable resemblance between Moramanga and Blu; both are intense, musky and (especially at the beginning) fizzy-medicinal, just in here I detect a deepler jasmine's presence while Blu pushed the accelerator over (the in here anyway as well working) tuberose-ylang-ylang's connection. Both the scents smell resinous (somewhat rubbery and juicy) but, while Blu is basically musky (enriched by high quality Acampora's musk) Moramanga smells particularly carnal, sticky and balmy (encompassed by balsams and resins). Both the fragrances share anyway a "secret" sort of almondy-fizzy intensity with candied, floral, fruity and medicinal facets (and with a typical "syrupy tuberose influence"). I detect in here a remarkable opoponax presence providing substance and "massive" depth. In conclusion, if you are on the really visceral and syrupy types of floral accords (waving around a central syrupy tuberose/jasmine combo) give a chance to this fragrance. Despite not my cup of tea this juice deserves a try, especially if you are interested on the main theme. Despite not properly onedimensional, this scent is finally not enough structured for my full pleasure. Really impressive projection and great lasting power.

Ferré for Men by Gianfranco Ferré

Ferré for Men (nothing to do with Ferré for Man from 1986) is for me one of the most representative epitomes of “half-baked” fragrances. It’s perfectly split in half, on a time axis: one is really – really! - good, the other is not tragic, but a bit disappointing. The opening is perfect for me, a surprisingly rich buttery iris with a remarkably elegant “lipstick” effect on a musky-mossy base and refreshed with some zesty notes of bergamot, and probably that “pineapple” too, since there’s indeed some really subtle fruity feel that gives some sweet brightness to iris. Less quality than Dior Homme, a bit darker and woodier and with a sort of poliurethane-leather feel, but surely Dior Homme may be a broad comparison. Either that, or even more L’Homme de Coeur by Divine. This is the best part of the evolution, a really elegant opening phase perfectly balanced between “masculine” musky-woody-leathery notes, a hint of mainstream spiciness (tonka above all), a feminine touch of lipstick iris, and a whiff of aromatic freshness.

Sadly though, the progression isn’t really consistent: the iris note tones down quicker than I expected and so does its really nice sort of citrus-fruity support, and Ferré for Men slowly turns into a generic woody-musky scent with a generic spicy accord (tonka again, now more prominent) and a generic touch of synthetic leather, just tinged with a really mild and light touch of iris (mostly soapy musk than the initial “lipstick” iris). Like a good supporting band without its leader. Still better than most of mainstream average of this same “contemporary Oriental” family, nothing bad and totally nice to wear, but surely way less refined and intriguing than the first phase. I still consider this a good scent overall, and I’d even suggest you to grab a bottle if you stumble upon nice deals; just a bit disappointing after a while – so either settle for this, or keep reapplying it.

6,5-7/10

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

I love Chanel, usually, but not Pour Monsieur Concentree. I'm neutral leaning thumbs down. I would describe it as unpleasant and slightly harsh.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

I recently blind bought a 100ml bottle of this because it's one of the scents I remember from my youth, and I felt it had to be in my new and rapidly expanding collection. The last time I tried it was approximately 1990, so 25 years ago. It is and it isn't how I remember. I think I would have recognised it and dare to say been able to name it, but I remember something more fruity, more intensely herbal too.
Now: yes herby at the start. I thought rosemary, but it's not listed as an ingredient I think, so I'm wrong there. Rose from start to finish, but not the flower rose, once I thought Turkish Delight, but mostly it reminds me of old fashioned rose soap. Having said that it's not feminine, definitely masculine. To me it's an honest, clean, wholesome scent.
This is the picture it gives to me: a large but quite stark hotel room, white walls, bright, a B&B, England, about 1950, a bright summer morning, but it rained the night before, the large sash window is wide open to a garden. A man, about 35, clean shaven, dark hair, wearing trousers and braces hanging down, shirtless, standing at a white porcelain sink in front of a small mirror washing his body with the rose-fragrance soap provided by the hotel. The water is cold. The bed behind him is empty. He'll put his white shirt, tie and blazer on, pay at reception and never return.
Silage is good (it always is on me as I'm trigger happy) and it fades completely after about 5 hours. Definitely a thumbs up from me.
July 2015.
Later edit: forgot one thing. The original green fluted bottle was so much better. The current one is a but rubbish in comparison 😞

Sulmona by Coquillete Paris

One of the best almond's renditions I've enjoyed in my humble experience. Coquillette Paris Sulmona is a simple but decently appointed and surprisingly "polyedral/structured" spicy accord of almond sugary-milky juice (by soon soapy, weirdly syrupy and smooth in to an almost edible way), soft balsams, orange blossoms and (I suppose) ylang-ylang. This fragrance has a spicy sugary/exotic and vaguely boozy temperament conjuring me partially scents a la O.P.S.O Dalila (which is equally structured, less properly almondy but equally sultry-dusty and exotic) and fragrances a la Maria Candida Gentile Noir Tropical (equally exotic but more gorgeous, hesperidic and rum-centered). Vanilla is in here quite irresistible and really silky. Is like to drink an helthful infusion of soja milk and almond juice, is like to get a sticky nectar but at same time I enjoy the structure provided by hesperides, spices and aromatic notes. I appreciate this vanilla's application since it appears magistrally appointed in order to never smell annoying, affected, too much sugary or overwelming. In Sulmona all is balanced and really velvety, just a touch of balminess and this central really "tropical" accord of almond, I suppose musk, animalic patterns (civet?), aldehydes and something properly exotic (an accord of spices and ylang-ylang? Nutmeg in particular?). I get the aldehydes or something close in effect since there is a dusty-aromatic aura (I suppose supported by green-balsamic patterns a la juniper berries or stuffs like that) while I'm almost sure to detect on skin a dirty-dissonant (vaguely rotten-metallic) element couteracting the balanced sugary vibe (in a sort of perfectly aligned trio, sugary, balmy and animalic). Anyway the main hallmark of this gracious fragrance is this lacteous and vaguely yeast-conjuring perfect almond-extrait's rendition (vaguely laundry in effects). A good semi-oriental experiment from this brand and an almond's Ode which I recommend for the "almond addicted".

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

I recently acquired a current, allegedly reformulated bottle of this (all brown dotted packaging with silver borders) and without having tried the previous one, all I can say is that this more recent version smells really good for me. Nothing harsher or more “synthetic” than one may reasonably expect - and accept - within this price range; Herrera for Men is actually kind of classy, suprisingly compelling and really enjoyable, and also fairly creative for its era: basically a sort of really smooth, niche-like curry-scented tobacco scent with a hint of honey, some clean musk-lavender tone and the shade of a classic fougère structure. Lots of interesting nuances here, from something tea-like to a really balanced use of cloves (a note that 99% of the times I hate bad). What amazed me at the first sniff is how surprisingly close to tobacco this is – way more than other more praised scents that were kind of a disappointment to me to this extent (e.g. Aramis Havana, which is great but doesn’t remind me of tobacco that much; or inferior juvenile stuff like Michael Kors for Men – not to mention most of contemporary tobacco scents smelling like cheap candies).

Speaking as a long-time cigarettes smoker, I think Herrera for Men quite captures the aroma of a packet of cigarettes – not the raw, dry-earthy one of cigars, not the sophisticated, “humid-sweet” aromatic smell of pipe tobacco, but the mildly sweet, slightly synthetic, maybe pedestrian smell of common cigarettes. There’s lots of this tobacco here, tasty and realistic, together with cumin, a drop of citrus at the opening and something sweet-warm and slightly fruity, like honeyed amber and a bit similar to tea too (think of a grown-up macho version of Gucci pour Homme II), with a really clever accord of more “traditional” masculine notes (musky lavender, woods, geranium) that gives the scent a pleasant touch of “barbershop”. There’s also some really nice sandalwood here, joining the sweet-earthy side of the fragrance. A lot of names come to mind considering the different sides of this Herrera individually, but none would be really a comparison for the fragrance as a whole, as in fact Herrera for Men smells honestly quite new and unique to me. It’s surely a bit close to other early 1990s fragrances (the first Zegna comes to mind in particular) but there’s quite more going on here. The quality isn’t top-notch but it works really good, way better than I expected given that all other Herrera scents I’ve tried were utter crap for me. A bang for the buck if you ask me; it smells good, bold but classy, masculine as a Raymond Chandler villain, totally decent for the price.

7-7,5/10

1000 Miglia Extreme by Chopard

*This review applies to the normal, non-extreme version of this (which isn't listed on Basenotes yet, I will move this accordingly once they add it)*

The composition seemed interesting to me at first, especially that promising “asphalt-suede” combo, so I approached this with slightly more enthusiasm than usual, although I am not really a fan of Chopard fragrances, and well, I was wrong – in being slightly more enthusiastic than usual, I mean. Utter cheapness and boredom in a bottle. The opening comprises mostly a contemporary aromatic fougère bone structure of wood, lavender, citrus scented with tobacco, some subtle smell of coffee, a dusty-sweet feel (amber and violet) and a little sad suede aromachemical lying in the shame corner. 1000 miglia reminds me of a cheaper, subtler, more boring version of woody-coffee scents like Rochas Man crossed with Lanvin’s Arpège pour Homme and similar “violet woodyambers”; just more generic, with more lavender, more (depressingly synthetic) wood, a bit more zest, a hint of green. Basically a dull, slightly confused and more generic version of both (or similar ones) with a persistent sort of soapy-musky-woody feel drowned in plastic. Tragically uninspired, too cheap to be at least “mediocrely refined”, one of those scents you have to sniff constantly to remind how they smell, and probably regret having bought them. Plenty of better options for this non-genre.

Captain Molyneux by Molyneux

Finally I re-test today on skin this fragrance after many years and a soapy/barber-shop mossy-chypre-fougere universe starts again disclosing its massive inlayed doors (mossy, laundry, powdery, minty-aromatic, honeyed, rooty, aldehydic, metallic) under my nose, an olfactory-temporal "space" studded by perfumed pièces of history as several Geo F. Trumper or Penhaligon's, further scents a la Cabochard de Grès, Arrogance Pour Homme, Monsieur Rochas, Azuree Pure Estee Lauder, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Oscar de La Renta Pour Lui, YSL vintage Kouros, Balenciaga Portos, Dunhill For Man, Robert Piguet Bandit, Patou Pour Homme, Bogart by Jaques Bogart, Original Denim for Men etc, etc. Captain de Molyneux is a powerfully anisic-aromatic and mossy-aldehydic chypre accord, restrained and uncompromisingly virile. I detect a minimal touch of soapy-visceral substance (civet, honey, ambergris??) but Captain is not basically an animalic mossy-chypre while more properly an herbal barber-shop accord with a cedary-mossy core and soapy-waxy nuances. The aldehydic presence is in here really temperamental despite not properly "boosted" till those "vintage Kouros levels". Anise and lavender (supported by spacious-airy-irony aldehydes) release a deeply aromatic mentholated vibe since the beginning while dry woods, roots, oakmoss and may be arid tobacco exude a sort of bitter/herbal "licorice-kind" undertone counteracting a dominant (mild) soapy "minty milk". Don't be fooled from the "milk" word (related to a minimal touch of soothing balsam in the original recipe) anyway, the soapiness is basically sharp, dusty-woody and powdery (with just a minimal hint of soothing elements). Captain de Molyneux is all about the 80's barber-shops "molecules", a pièce of gentleman classicism and a supreme lavender accord with an hesperidic presence, a general sense of muskiness and restrained metallic floral notes. Dry down is bold, old-shool, yet measured and discreet. There is a general sense of fresh-airy and clean-musky soapiness around the wearer, a fresh soft accord anyway restrained by this rooty/licorice-type of effect providing sensual forbidding erotic masculinity. Despite not properly original or revolutionary (and despite today less opulent in its current version), this fragrance is nowadays incontestably a left over great fougere/chypre classic combination with a glorious story to hand down.

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

As another reviewer stated, this is a cold and stony scent - which in itself is not that bad, but I don't connect with it. And it is not because it is cold and stony - I actually am ok with that - I can be that at times, and reach for an aloof scent on occasion, when I am feeling my most introverted self. But this scent is just...dare I say it...boring!

I tried...oh how I tried to like it! I wanted to so bad - the notes were all right, the tone was right...why could this not work for me? It seemed the be everything I wanted for this genre, but it just sat on top of my skin...it never danced. It never gave me a performance. I waited. And waited. I wanted to feel the angular insanity others felt. I wanted to feel...ANYTHING! I nearly felt insane with waiting for something - anything to happen! the anticipatory anxiety nearly required a script!

I won't give this a negative/thumbs down because the notes ARE there...they just are not working for me...clearly they work for others, though. My bottle is sailing on the bay of e...

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

I've been eager to test on skin this infamous vetiver for years since several vetiver lovers used to prize it as a fizzy-salty "eau de cologne" type of structured cedary-"marine" vetiver. Effectively Annick Goutal Vetiver is a really visceral kind of warmly organic vetiver (earthy, green and piquant) with a classic "cologny" structure and distinguished "intimate" elegance. Yes, an excellent salty vetiver, really iodate. The "stressed" saltiness, on the side of an airy-exotic "spaciousness" and a restrained classic approach, contribute to bind this vetiver to another favorite of mine, namely the great The Different Company Sel de Vetiver (which is, if possible, a tad more stressed over the salty-ozonic side) while a spicy/lightly incensey/tobacco-tonka veined accord connects this scent to the vintage Guerlain Vetiver's exoticism (the latter finally more soothed, resinous and far less salty). The Goutal Vetiver's dry down is immensely sensual and virile, ideal for a sultry southern summer time out.
03rd July, 2015 (last edited: 04th July, 2015)

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

IF, just IF the SPL were a little bit stronger, then it's a 10/10 fragrance to me..

too bad the SPL with this one are really poor.

smell: 10/10

Red Musk Oud by Body Shop

I had hopes for this. Granted not high ones, as this is the Body Shop. But I gave it a try, and at first, it was nice - top notes were powerful and edgy. Oud-like scent. Not barnyard, but westernized and nice. But then a nasty synthetic blast reached my nose and my migraine kicked in with a powerful start. ARGH!

I don't know or cannot recall the musk note(s), as my migraine pushed everything out from that point on. I returned the bottle as soon as I was well-showered and the migraine had passed.

It may be that they used all natural stuff, but as there are grades of naturals, perhaps it was low-grade stuff? I don't know. This was my last straw with Body Shop scents. Too many let downs to keep trying.

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque

Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque starts off with a sharp, almost acrid minty-citrus-grass accord, which smells as much green as really pungent and balsamic. Invigorating and bracing on one side, quite artificial on the other, ending up in smelling a bit like a nasal decongestant – balsamic for sure, but also decidedly “medicinal” in a literal, non-fascinating meaning. The musky base, subtle but substantial, doesn’t help in minimizing this plastic feel. Still if it’s smashing green freshness what you are looking for, regardless of quality and charm, then this will probably suit your needs. Personally I find this a bit too loud and artificial, with way too much acrid-synthetic stuff going on - speaking of contemporary green citrus scents I tend to prefer more discreet, natural refined stuff like some Hermès “concentrés”, but to each his own. Like many other Diptyque fragrances, a nothing bad-nothing good quintessence of negligibility.

Reaction T-Shirt by Kenneth Cole

In my opinion, there is a little bit of genius in this one. i like it

Acqua Colonia Blood Orange & Basil by 4711

The fine mist nozzle on the Acqua Colonia bottles makes them ideal for a refreshing walk through on hot days.
Of the three I have this one is my favourite, a nice sweet orange accord with a touch of basil.
***

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Encouraged by reviews and opinions I tested it.

Pros: Good projection and longevity.

Cons: A simple and straightforward fragrance. It's like an american muscle car - simple and bold but not sophisticated.

My conclusion: Ideal for someone who wants to smell good for a long time - but not more.

Perry Ellis Night by Perry Ellis

Greetings reader, first I have to say.....Wow!

What a surprise, not expecting this.

Great, beautiful and sort of a rollercoaster.
For the prices I see it going for on ebay, it is a "diamond in the rough" type of scent.

Upon initial application and for about the first 2-3 hours I get a deep/dark blood orange non-synthetic aroma. For the first few hours I'm thinking, "didn't they first test wear this before releasing it as a so-called night scent?" For the first 2-3 hours it seems like a Perry Ellis Summer edition for warm bright sunshiny days.

Then it morphs into a more mature gentleman's scent, a little oak-mossy/light musk with hints of a geranium and cedar. That mixture had me thinking tobacco?

Finally the drydown comes down to a simple light musk and citrus concoction, it reminded me of Stetson's Fresh.

We all know smell is subjective, so I can see the previous reviewers walking away with varied thoughts.
To me though it just seems so much deeper and faceted than I was expecting.

Taji by Shulton

Milwaukee Journal, November 9, 1965:

"At last, Taji, a perfume that lasts!

A perfume that hasn’t worn off by the time you’re out of the house! Undiluted by volatile alcohol, new Taji, by Shulton is all precious perfume oil. Inspired by the essences of the east, its fragrance is provocative and haunting. Patchouli, sandalwood, yang yang, spice oils, vetiver and jasmine are all part of its almost abandoned sophistication. Taji warms up with you, stays with you, surrounds you in a fabulous aura that lasts hours longer than traditional perfumes. A few drops lasts throughout the day- or night. 1.5 oz., $7.50. Perfume oil mist (spray for bath, shower), $5.00. Bath powder- $3.75."

I have a bottle of this from 1969, and it is still nice. The secret is in the "spice oils".

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

I'll be giving this one a strong, "meh", which, coincidentally would be the same exact thing I'd say about Chrome if anyone happened to ask. I'm wearing this on one wrist, Chrome on the other and now ten minutes into it I really can't tell them apart which is neither a good nor a bad thing. More of a, "meh", thing, really.
Oviatt Show all reviews

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

Drugstore Cowboy. Although this was launched as a lower end product than the original Polo, there is nothing wrong with this cowboy! While his older brother may have been off playing polo with the rich folks, Chaps hung around the stables, saddled the horses and got all the girls. This reminds me of a sweeter, more rounded Azzaro Pour Homme, with an extraordinary number of ingredients that all seem to hang well together. A shame that you can no longer pick this up for a song at the drugstore.

Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire

Parfum d'Empire Osmanthus Interdite opens with an utterly crisp and vegetal accord of musk, green tea, citrus and earthy osmanthus. The first approach is bitter-herbal, fizzy (vaguely medicinal), somewhat lemony (bergamot?) and gradually floral. This phase is bitter-pungent and intensely penetrating. Jasmine starts gradually to merge its substance with rose and hyper lush osmanthus in order to appoint an uncompromisingly sophisticated botanic floral accord (leafy and lymphatic). Progressively the aroma morphs towards a (just a tad) denser, more soothed and "solid" amalgam (is like to catch pollen and floral essence) despite the basic outcome keeps on being kind of grassy and musky. You will be actually encompassed by a musky floral pungent embrace extremely sensual and almost organic (kind of pheromonical and intimate). I get the comparison with the equivalent osmathus-centered concoction from The Different Company which is anyway more grey-mossy-laundry and finally less grassy-crisp in substance. Anyway both exude that sort of tea-mimosa kind of "fluidity" which seems a facet of a huger ideal "kaleidoscope of the olfactory sharpness". A great take on my favorite floral note (osmanthus) and an extremely sophisticated concoction for a deeply sensual kind of woman (elegant, impeccable, voluptuous, forbidding). Hands down, Marc-Antoine Corticchiato. Perfect for spring/summer.
Oviatt Show all reviews

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

A true classic that is sharp, clean freshness in a bottle. Like most classic eaux, the longevity is not good (which is why there is a concentree version) but there is enough subtle oakmoss and patchouli in the base notes to give this citrus delight some heft. Wonderful on warm days or simply when you want to feel fancy, fresh and French. Wonderful bath soap and shower gel.