Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

TalkingMuffin's avatar

Royal Water by Creed

I've really come full circle on this one. took repeated testings over years but the light bulb finally went off, and I went ahead and bought a bottle.

I do like "soapy" frags and this one definitely fits the bill. This is like a high-end combination of Clean and CK One with Creed's signature ambergris and musk base. Can't wait to wear this in the dead of summer. So uplifting, airy, and refreshing. Doesn't have the dessert-like heavy sweetness of Royal Delight.

Thumbs up, Creed. just sorry it took so long to see the light!

Nocturnes by Caron

Having never quite ‘got’ the Caron line (I know - for shame!), I found Nocturnes at a tantalisingly low price and took a punt that I had evolved enough as a sniffer to appreciate this juice. A good punt indeed.

Nocturnes scared me a bit with its initial trumpet of aldehydes (a ‘Hello Granny’ moment), but swiftly seduced with a beautiful rendition of white florals, offset with a sparkling citrus note. At this stage I was thinking ‘What’s the deal with that name? This is definitely for day...’ - but then the base came through. Oh my - Nocturnes becomes a midnight vixen, albeit a subtle one. The phrases ‘a little musty’ and ‘slightly meaty’ may not sound too sexy, but in this incarnation those down-and-dirty notes combined with the glimmering top translate to a sensual mix of Miss Prim and Lady Panther. What’s not to love about that?

Jovan White Musk by Jovan

Straightforward, simple and cheap as chips - a beautiful white musk that shimmers with delicate citrus and vanilla. Made me want to put on a cotton skirt with scalloped edges and let my hair fall down.

Les Belles de Ricci - Amour d'Amandier / Almond Amour by Nina Ricci

Initially blasting its wearer with a gumbo of (eye-)watery pear, apple, something vaguely almond (but not the nut; the blossom perhaps?) and raspberry, this stinker rapidly descends into the fruity gourmand circle of hell frequented by precocious teenagers wearing too much Maybelline. Blech - a scrubber. My search for the perfect almond scent continues...

The_Cologneist's avatar

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Quite glad to see this hit this section. Hopefully it won't get bashed so badly. I find VdH to have more great things than flaws, and while it isn't TdH, it's still a well made fragrance that deserves respect.

First off, the bottle. It's different, but it matches well with the name, and the juice inside. It spins around, but is well constructed, so I don't see it breaking.

The juice though is what matters.. This reminds me of a stripped down TdH. Lots of cardamom in the opening; as it dries a little bit it smells slightly saltier than the original -- kind of reminds me of the salt around the rim of a margarita along with a little lime.

Similar to TdH, but instead of the orange and grapefruit in TdH.. replace it with like a light salty lime and tonic. I also get much less cedar out of this one. Doesn't project as much as the original, but is still nice. Longevity is about 6 hours.

I can't really compare it to anything except for TdH. Those of you who haven't tried anything from Hermes, and may be just getting your feelers out, reading reviews and such, I must recommend checking out the entire Hermes house fragrance by fragrance to understand the structure and feel that all of their fragrances possess.

I don't consider VdH to be worth the retail price, but I would likely buy it if it were on sale.

Postumo's avatar

Spain Spain

Nightflight by Joop!

Quite good fragance, long lasting and with good sillage. The aroma itself is different. I don't get why some basenoters say that it's unoriginal and just soapy. At least, over this area of the world (where, casually, you can't buy nightflight!) you don't smell similar fragances when you go out.

It was a blind buy, the only one i've done, but i'll repeat for sure.

Force of One's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

I guess when other say "boozy" it registers as "cedar" to my nose...it's a very nice scent, but to be perfectly honest, you could get nearly the exact same thing for 1/4 the price with L'Occitane Eau des Baux

nattonline's avatar

Davidoff Adventure Eau Fraîche by Davidoff

It's like a cologne version of the original with a louder citrus opening and less spicy.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Whoever made the decision to discontinue this is simply as ass, let's get that out of the way. This ranks up there with Gucci Envy amongst discontinued gems. Why you would cancel stuff like this and keep swill like most of the current designer releases out, is beyond me.

Now that the rant is out of the way.. let's talk about this one. At first it's a tangy nectarine, orange and citrus blast, that quickly calms down into more of an sweet orange or perhaps mandarin, orange blossom, iris, and vanilla. There is a cotton candy element that seems to make its mark and weaves in and out, but it is not a sickly gourmand sweetness, nor is it cloying in any way. In ways the structure of this fragrance is very similar to Live Jazz, because it's light yet always there, it's very intriguing though not entirely unique. It just gets your nose a sniffing all over. As many others have stated it feels very mature and sophisticated, worth more than what you pay, and I agree with that entirely. It also feels unisex as well, but more so as it dries down, when more of the floral notes emerge and it stays near the skin. I also get a carnation flower accord which is pretty noticeable. The base is actually my favorite part, unlike many others, although I wish it would project a little more. It's like oranges and cream with some vanilla and soft florals. The iris note is very prominent from start to finish, it's woodsy but also powdery. I don't much get the sandalwood in the dry down.

There are some flaws though, none within the fragrance itself. It's quite a beauty. I mean, ya longevity and projection is debatable, but that varies person to person. The bottle's cap though doesn't fit on securely, which is bothersome for many. And, I was one of the unfortunate ones to have an oozing sprayer. It trickles down and all over the place, and I lose a bit of juice when using it. Although the bottle is a beauty, very much a modern and abstract design. I'll just hope for a better sprayer the next time I purchase it. Longevity is a problem on my skin, I can never get more than 4 hours, but I usually get 2 or 3.

This is slightly similar to Dior Homme, but closer to Paul Smith Man, I feel, because of the tonka bean in the dry down.

If you come across this one at discounters like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc. Don't think, just buy. Buy, buy, buy. If you like iris, you will love this. This is truly a masterpiece.

19 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2014)

CoL's avatar

Theo Fennell Eau de Toilette by Theo Fennell

This is actually the same fragrance as Scent, just a lower concentration of oil.

This has been billed as a scent constructed in a classical "old fashioned" way. This is most likely true as the attention to detail is breath taking! Beautiful rosey/chypre opening with musks coming through. A lovely creaminess to it that carrys on all through the scent to a lovely woody/amber base.

As Luca Turin put's it in his wonderful book "Perfumes - The A-Z Guide" this is a "modern masterpiece" and I agree with his opinion that is really is very unisex.

If you're looking for a very well constructed fragrance with obviously high quality materials, I say give this a try!

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I didn’t expect Fierce to be bad, nor did I expect to love it – it met my expectations, but I like it better than I thought I would. With the first spray, I recognized it immediately from smelling it in shopping malls. It’s a nice fragrance for a young man in that, although it is typical of several of the more modern offerings, it is done a bit better than most. It’s opening is a competent citrus accord with a bit of warming spice – cardamom. Its textured floral middle level is masculine enough and the touch of rosemary adds considerably to the depth of the fragrance by cooling the warm florals. I really enjoy the base and make special note of the rosewood and oakmoss… it’s a pleasure to find those two modernly unpopular notes used so well in this kind of fragrance. I like this Fierce and, as others have said, I think the bottle is a bit much.

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

6 L’Amoureux, The Lovers, is somewhat attractive in a generic sense… “generic,” I say, because the pink pepper and the juniper are quite overdone in the fragrances in the past several years… But this version of pink pepper and juniper presents a poorer quality synthetic juniper than many of the newer introductions. Moving on from the opening, 6 doesn’t seem to know where it’s going – the middle seems either purposely empty or completely distracted. I’m not sure how long this heart of anemic spice and washed out green lasts because I’ve found myself incapable of maintaining my interest for very long. The base is truly forgettable – it is a light and generic with nameless musks and woods. I’m giving this one a neutral because most of the other “tarots” in the series are so bad that I weakened simply because L’Amoureux is pleasant in a way and its synthetics are not that disagreeable.

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

10 La Roue de la Fortune comes across to me as a half-hearted attempt at one of those rich, gourmand burnt or carmelized vanilla scents. I love those gourmand vanillas... errr… the ones that are well done, that is. I certainly don’t love this because it is not at all rich, it is too sweet, and it is unforgivably synthetic. About the only thing that I can identify in the opening is a synthetic pineapple note in the background. I also recognize a soft floral platform in the middle accord – it’s basically adequate. I can’t determine much of a base. The primary characteristic that comes across to me during the length of the fragrance is that poorly made vanilla accord. This whole series is questionably done as far as I’m concerned, and, as for the wheel of fortune, I’ll stick with the one that features Vanna White.

D&G La Lune 18 by Dolce & Gabbana

Synthetic and not very exciting, La Lune seems to be the result of a whole bunch of poor ideas. The opening fruit note comes across to me as solidly synthetic – it’s an opening that has been offered by several scents of the past decade, and I don’t think it offers much competition with the others. I don’t get much of the florals from the middle level: All I get is the softening of the opening accord, although I do think that the middle has a warmer feel to it than the opening had. The base I get is pretty much a weak musk with some acceptable leather off to the side. One thing I like about the fragrance is that it isn’t too sweet. It has good sillage, but its longevity is inadequate. I don’t think 18 La Lune is a very good fragrance.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo Deep Blue by Jacomo

This is a GREAT new scent from Jacomo. It looks like it's just going to be another blue water scent...but it's not. While it is fresh, it's also woody, warm and long lasting. I't's also not expensive. If you like fresh, warm, woody, and spicy...give this a try!

odysseusm's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

This is slightly sweet, but not cloying. It is done in the usual smooth, round Prada style. All the elements are blended together and they are difficult to pick out as distinct notes. I certainly don’t get any orange notes. The incense seems green and suggests frankincense. The wood is light. Iris emerges in the dry down. Nothing wrong with this, but neither is it memorable.

michailG's avatar

Tubereuse 1 La Capricieuse by Histoires de Parfums

La Capricieuse left me unimpressed. On my skin it smelled like a heady, sweet concoction that only after the first long overpowering effect mellows out into a milky sweetness. It has great staying power but I only like it after a couple (or more) of hours. La Capricieuse didn’t attract any positive attention from those near me either. Overall, this is another rich offering from Histoires de Parfums; so rich though that it risks being "all over the place."

michailG's avatar

Tubereuse 2 La Virginale by Histoires de Parfums

Virginale starts with a burst of something that could be the mandarin top note, but soon after foregrounds the mid note of Jasmin along witha hint of frangipani, but it is the jasmine that I think becomes central. After an hour or so vanilla comes into the picture and lingers on and on, all the while the milky sweetness of tubéreuse provides a heady base upon which Virginale evolves. Overall, Virginale is well made and intriguing. I wouldn’t wear it casually (there is nothing casual about it), but I would save it for very special occasions. There is an interesting undertone to the dry down of this concoction: while I consider Virginale to be more suitable for winter wear I can, nevertheless imagine it lingering in the air at a summer night by the sea somewhere around the Mediterranean.

Hilaire's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Utterly bewitching and beguiling, I adore HR. Its simplicity disguises its genius, in creating a light resinous green and lemony mantel over a warm leathery vanilla which never slides in to sickly sweetness or cloying Tobacco/Leather cliches HR does what very few other fragrances do, it transcends being a perfume and becomes a state of mind, and a feeling, a way of being. Perfume art at its best.

Bigsly's avatar

Chaz by Revlon

I have the vintage Revlon formulation. The opening is crude and "synthetic," which I've now learned to ignore with these older fragrances. Give it time, and it settles very nicely. Some have compare it to Zino, but I find Zino to be more complex and cruder. Zino also has a tobacco note that is missing here. Chaz seems to be a "woody/amber," but it's smoother than others with this kind of base. I'd describe it as a creamy woody/amber. Other than that, I'd guess there is some leather or suede, patchouli, spice, and perhaps an herbal element. It is not musky, and the wood note is much less powerful and wearable than the modern cedar notes so common in recent "men's" fragrances. I was surprised at how mellow this is, in fact, though I would advise against smelling it up close on the skin. It's one of those fragrances that needs to mix with air before it gets to you nose. Longevity is at least very good and projection/"sillage" is good. I don't spray much so it might have much stronger sillage is you spray 4 or 5 times per wearing. I don't find this too "old school" for those not used to such fragrances, but only spray once on your first wearing!

Tony T's avatar

Endless Ocean Pacific For Men by Ocean Pacific

not even worthy of testing.terrible bathroom cleaner scent. loud and obnoxious. not an ocean scent at all. a complete disaster.

Narcisse Blanc by Caron

On my skin, Narcisse Blanc is like the younger softer sister of Narcisse Noir. There is a similar incense note in both fragrances. I prefer Narcisse Blanc with its subtle floral incense. It's beautiful . A refined Narcisse Noir.

Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi by Caron

I admit, this was not love at first sniff. Deep gold brown liquid is this. Opened up gassy ,like petroleum and powder. Rose ,jasmine and earth, deep,heavy and lasting. Quite vintage in smell. I believe this has now been discontinued. It's an acquired taste for sure.

French Cancan by Caron

Notes of jasmine, lilac, violet, lily of the valley, rose, orange blossom, patchouli, iris, sandalwood, amber and oakmoss.

A strange but compelling . slightly gassy- bitter opening - much like Diamond Water by JAR ( hmm ... I wonder where the inspiration for DW came from.. ) but then French Can Can changes into a soft skin sweet meld of violet,lilac, iris and rose. Womanly, clean skin. Creamy ,delicious and soft.

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The most wonderful of rose soliflores. Rose magnified in its true glory . Turkish rose plus hints of geranium ...a sweet rose tempered by a bit of tannin ,a mild truffle accord .Simply lovely.

Enslaved by Roja Dove

A melange of notes, Enslaved is a hugely complex oriental perfume which actually smells like a chypre on me.
    Inspiration is drawn from Caron and Guerlain- old world french perfumery style . Begins as rose ,powdery violet ,lemon and orange ,jasmine enters ,zingy touches ffrom carnation and clove.Vetiver is a big player here, on my skin. A little bit powdery - not over powering. Lovely deep dry down with a little skank. Smells a tiny bit like Esprit de Chypre by Auguste. Excellent fragrance for those who love Caron and Guerlain.

pancks's avatar

Iris Ganache by Guerlain

I don't usually disagree with Ayala, but this is a big one! LOL We can't be smelling the same fragrance. It is a simply stunning, and I don't use that word often, fragrance! In my search through iris scents, there were lots of letdowns, sometimes just plain carroty awful and others left me asking is there really iris in this?

A few were very nice but so fleeting, Iris Oriental for example. I kept circling Iris Ganache and because of reviews like Ayala's I hadn't grabbed one yet, but I am oh so glad that I finally did! It grabbed me right back and hasn't let go!

This is the iris I had been searching for, dry and not a hint of carrot, not too powdery and even with the very gourmand ingredients not at all foody. And did I mention it lasts for hours? It is not only 'there' when I sniff my wrist but as I move I get wafts of iris and violet on a chocolate vanilla breeze. It makes my mouth water!

So elegant, I 'see' purple silk when I sniff it. Definitely one that you need to try for yourself.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

This is such a nice, clean, casual scent. Very lovable, easy to wear, not cloying. Great for any time of the year with decent projection and longevity. Thumbs up!

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

Great scent for dating and clubbing. Shares the vibe with Cerruti 1881 Black and YSL La nuit Del Homme.Longevity and projection are great. Better to wear it in autumn and winter. Even though it is not overly heavy, I wouldn't wear it in summer. Thumb up!

Klute's avatar

Palermo by Byredo

This is just wonderful, I immediately fell in love with it. It begins with a refreshing blast of bigarade and then quickly develops into a very sexy, almost metallic, clean musk with a hint of citrus. I don't really get the rose. Overall it reminds me very much of Silver Musk by Nasomatto. The sillage is similarly low, which I personally prefer in a perfume anyway. Longevity is quite good, I kept catching a whiff of this now and then all day. It is very suitable for hot weather, because there is nothing sweet or cloying about it.