Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

onceling's avatar

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This is somewhat ordinary but still quite pleasant. There is sometimes almost a "sunscreen" or lotion scent in the middle notes. It's floral and pretty but nothing particularly exciting. Like others have said, it is very clean and soapy and will last, with decent sillage as well. I probably wouldn't spend much on a full bottle (although it comes pretty cheap anyway) but having a few samples around for the summer is nice. I don't think it would be as nice in the winter.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Even blindfolded, I'm sure many would have guessed this fragrance to be a Chanel. Despite its more modern interpretation of the floral chypre, it retains an aura which is classic yet sophisticated - unmistakably 'Chanel'. Aldehydes, bergamot, pepper, iris, vetiver and cistus labdanum combined beautifully under Polge's craft to create this charmingly wearable fragrance. It does smell like a luxury boutique!

On a woman, 31 RUE CAMBON's very lack of ostentations may put it in the shade of its more illustrious predecessors. But on a sharply-dressed man, I honestly believe this would be fantastic.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Coromandel by Chanel

I vaguely recall a BNer calling COROMANDEL a patchouli oriental. Now that I've spent a day with this Chanel Les Exclusif, I think he's right on the money. To my mind Coromandel shares a DNA structure similar to Sheldrake's Sycomore with an oriental cloak wrapped around a patchouli frame instead of vetiver. It serves a patchouli embellished with a generous helping of vanilla, cinnamon, benzoin and what smells to me like chocolate, projecting a deliciously rich, sweetly airy sillage that might have scored higher had it not remind me rather strongly of Guerlain's oriental legend, Shalimar. So, low scores for originality but top marks for execution.

Fredrik Lönnberg's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lemon Eau de Cologne by Galimard

Lemon- that's it... Lasts for a second but that's the point of an eau de cologne...

Fredrik Lönnberg's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Vetiver Eau de Cologne by Galimard

This is a clean fresh vetiver. To be splashed liberally...

BayKAT's avatar

Stargazer 7.71 by Yosh

I really wanted to try this because I too love, love love lillies, but I quickly found out that lillies weren't the inspiration at all for this fragrance. The inspiration was a spit out lifesaver left on a vinyl seat of an old fashioned car after the sun had baked it for a few hours.

I put this on before bed and ended up thoroughly ticked. this is a real stinker. I had dreams of outlandishly colorful birds flying overhead and threatening to crap on my head. This was followed by a feeling of sinking in quicksand. I can't recommend this one at all.

PaladinX's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Thumbs up for me. Some people say it is a loud scent, to me it is more of a subtle scent. In fact I would enjoy it even more if it was a bit stronger. It is basically just like everyone has described. It is a spicy, woody, sweet scent to me. It smells like some kind of cedar wood or something that was just shaven right in front of you. I definitely get that sweet raspy woods smell. It is masculine, and there are not that many masculine scents out there. I think it is a very pleasant smell overall. I enjoy it. And it finally breaks away from the typical vanilla, unisex shit that runs ramped out there.

redrose's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

The aromatherapy aspect of this fragrance is amazing! I love AE when I first put it on, but then, when the patchouli starts to come forward, I'm not so sure. And then, later, I love it again, smelling the moss and goodness knows what in the drydown. But most of all, I appreciate the mental effects that it really does have on me. I'm a freelance writer. Whenever I have a tough piece of writing to do - a report, an article, whatever - I find that sniffing AE on my wrists helps me concentrate, focus, and get on with the job! Don't understand why. It just works. So I wouldn't want to be without it for those difficult days.

darren1's avatar

Luciano Pavarotti by Luciano Pavarotti

fantastic. i love this one and i dont think ill ever 'get over" it. ive read that it smells like a watered down givenchy gentleman. so i bought a small bottle of gentleman on ebay. cant wait to smell it! it smells very masculine, peppery, spicy... almost food-like. i can smell the honey. i only wish it was a stronger/more long lasting cologne. then i wouldnt have to re-apply at lunch. i also have the aftershave. its very good but less strong, less long lasting.

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

Fruit, fruit, and more fruit. It’s not strongly sweet, but still about the only notes that come through for me are fruit. I certainly can smell the kiwi, I don’t get a tart smell as would come from a rhubarb note. There’s melon in there. There must be some florals in there because I get an identifiable floral texture that does not provide for me an identifiable floral note. This texture is about the only thing that keeps me from washing off the abundant fruity notes.

Toward the end of the fragrance, I do not find a sandalwood note, but I do get a sour accord that smells a bit like grapefruit. In all, 3 L’Impératrice is a bit messy, quite uninspired, and not very interesting.

20th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

Redleg's avatar

Silver Light by Escada

Powdery and floral, almost effeminate. "Light" is a good word for it; you barely notice you're wearing a cologne. Nothing special.

Redleg's avatar

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

Very tropical fruity with admittedly little depth. A fun scent that I like to wear (appropriately enough) in the summer in casual settings. The girls like it, but I'll probably look for something else once this bottle is out.

michailG's avatar

Tubereuse 3 L’Animale by Histoires de Parfums

Animale… I can’t be sure but the minute I put on Animale, it reminded me of Mitsouko. So much so that I looked up and tried to compare the notes. I am not an expert so I still can’t be sure if there is a strong relation or not. I read among others: prune, tabac blond and immortelle in Animale, and peach, jasmine, underbrush and vetiver in Mitsouko; it is all hocus pocus to me, nevertheless Animale is subtler and less citrusy than Mitsouko… in a way a lighter version … and yet there is no tubéreuse in Mitsouko! The dry down of Animale is woody, smoky, and a bit spicy, and it is much more to my liking than its earlier stages. Overall, I think I like Animale because I like Mitsouko, and maybe, just maybe, could wear this a bit more often than the Guerlain Holy Grail.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

So, within an hour you won't be smelling this on yourself. Now whether that's due to the fragrance being weak or olfactory habituation is something that's up for debate. What's not up for debate is that you won't be enjoying the fragrance.

Though, for the period of time that you can smell it, you will be enjoying a most basic soapy smell dominated by a white musk, similar to Mugler Cologne, cK be, and Colonia Assoluta (and many others I'm sure.) All of the other Gendarmes seem to have the same vibe as well.

Still though, if you like this at all I would highly recommend looking at...

Acqua di Parma's Colonia Assoluta

for the simple fact that it has very good sillage AND longevity, in addition to it being a very well crafted fragrance in this genre (I haven't smelled nearly enough things to call it "one of the best")

I'm still feeling Mojo as my favorite in this line. Imagine that, a fragrance based on Mike Myers acting like an ass.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

We have a nice white musk base here, with some citrus and woods on top, as well as an interesting note that I have now identified as vetiver after reading the top of the page here. Funny that it doesn't mention citrus, because I swear I smell it. Also, it does mention amber, and I can't make it out.

So what does all of that really mean in terms of scent? I feel that Colonia Assoluta is doing that clean thing along the lines of (every) Gendarme, cK be, Mugler Cologne, etc, but doing it much more gooder. That's right, MUCH more gooder. CA has class and substance whereas those others just smell "clean," not that there's anything wrong with "clean."

I'll put it this way. I had a little sample of Colonia Assoluta, and it made me smell fresh and huggable ALL DAY LONG. The longevity and sillage were out of control for a fragrance of this ilk. If you want to be that dude that people want to get closer to, this is your fragrance.

The only reason I don't regret not owning a bottle is that I got both Mojo and cK be for under $35, and CA is a bit pricey.

LaNose's avatar

Or et Noir by Caron

I recently received a decant of this luscious extract. I have to admit that it wasn't love at first whiff, but I've stuck with it over several weeks of testing. It's interesting about the Caron scents; it's rarely a first-whiff love affair for me. And I can never really figure out how one day, it's funk and weeks later the scent assumes a new identity. I've come to believe that most Caron scents require my olfactory bulbs to rearrange themselves; odd image, but it fits. Perhaps it's like acquring a taste for, and enjoyment of, good music, art and food. It takes time.

Or et Noir fits this process for me. I now find I love it in all this hot, humid weather I'm living through now. The scent is what I might charactize as a "creamy rose". No edges, no pushiness; rather, this scent is rounded, soft and almost diminutive, except that it's got great sillage and lasts all day on me. I can see why other viewers referred to its wine-like depth and smoothness; like a good Merlot.

Or et Noir is definitely from another time --- 60+ years to be exact. It's a sumptuous counter to our current facination with ozone, sea air, grapefruit, figs and chocolate. Or et Noir is a tone poem on the theme of "rose" that I've grown to love.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

To be honest this sh*t makes me want to die every time I have to pass through the noxious clouds of it reeking from A&F stores.

Clean Ultimate by Clean

Starts off appealingly green and citric, then after twenty minutes becomes a bunch of non-descript white florals, which then quickly disappears into floral soap. Pointless.

Amoureuse by Delrae

Amoureuse is a big -- and I mean BIG -- incandescent white floral: strong open, massive sillage, buttery-soft finish. Superbly blended and well-thought-out. It's glamorous, romantic, womanly etc etc hypoerbole etc... but maybe the most important bit of information here is that it isn't exactly easy to wear. It's not a casual fragrance by any means. You have to be woman enough to wear this fragrance, because otherwise it will wear you.

Bois de Paradis by Delrae

As advertised: dense, high-volume fruitiness undercut with wood. It's big and bold and well-done. I don't think there's a dud in the entire Delrae line anyway.

But here's the thing about Bois de Paradis: somewhere in there is a wax-candle smell that just ruins the entire "exotic fruitbasket" effect, muffling the realism of the composition. And once you smell the candlewax, it's all over.

Black Angel by Mark Buxton

I feel that people are overthinking the Mark Buxton releases a bit...

Black Angel's got a good interplay between the brightness of the citrus elements and the bracket of spices, especially in its open. The middle brings out more spice but it ultimately finishes as smoky-fruit-wood, emphasis on the fruit. It's at this latter point that, for me, it begins to resemble raisin-wood compositions like Botrytis, though Black Angel never comes off as dense or 'heavy.'

At the end of the day Black Angel is a good fragrance. It's not angels singing the Hallelujah chorus, but it's well-balanced, has longevity, and is easy to wear. It's probably the nicest of the set, and is overpriced as usual, but what the hey, we're all overpaying anyway.

Poopoo Pidoo by Ego Facto

I think people have largely underrated this one, often comparing it to dime-counter commercial girly perfumes. But this isn't just a more expensive Pink Sugar. It's a perfectly nice fragrance that is mostly about that milky "rice powder" accord and the wood-musk base that carries it forward, creating a veil-like effect of rice-y musk that is delicate but persistant. It's never sugary and not floral at all. Perfectly wearable and furthermore, well-priced.

Farnesiana by Caron

A very subtle cream-gourmand of vintage years gone by - it's a warm almond- violet - vanilla -heliotrope scent that melds beautifully with skin . Caron's equivalent to Guerlain's l'Heure Bleue ? It is delectably good ,soft, romantic . Excellent. Full bottle worthy !

Or et Noir by Caron

On my skin, this is mostly a deep,swirling, plush rose soliflore . Gothic rose. Darker in concept, than Une Rose by Malle but quite similar. Romantic - a dangerous rose to love !

Coup de Fouet by Caron

If you are familiar with Poivre - the parfum extrait of this, then you know well what to expect from Coup de Fouet . Cracking pepper ,carnation ,incense, amber and vanilla but just lighter. I love Poivre, so this follows suit ! One of the most distinctive Carons. Love this.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

A bracing manly scent. Lavender, bergamot and rosemary are very present .I think if you like Guerlain's Derby you will like this one. A little too masculine for me.

Amoureuse by Delrae

This is potent love juice ! Quite beautiful floral chypre - old worldly charm .Very well blended florals ,smells strong and classical . Use with caution as this could easily overwhelm .

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Jacomo de Jacomo Deep Blue by Jacomo

Jacomo, IMO, has done it again. One word review: Sublime.

For olfactory reference, if you have smelt Cool Water, Wings and Green Irish Tweed, you will feel that JdJDB is quite familiar. DB takes all that is good from them and blends them very well. DB is another interpretation of the violet theme. This time it is given a certain allure with the pepper. The colour of the bottle and the name of the scent alludes to an aquatic scent. However, believe DB is primarily a spicy woody scent, with aquatic nuances (does this make sense? If not, please pardon me). DB dries down to a nice woody musk accord.

DB has respectable sillage. People will definitely like the trail left by it. Longevity-wise, i smelt DB directly off my chest while changing after a day at work. At work i was delighted by the constant beautiful fragrance. That makes longevity on my skin 12+ hours before fade.

I like DB very much, and over the years i know i will love it a lot.

shamu1's avatar

H2 by Hummer

Hummer2 deserves much more credit than it gets here. It does not smell disgusting or overly synthetic by any means, according to my nose. It is actually smells very good to me, even though I normally hate these kind of scents.

I don't consider H2 to be an aquatic fragrance, but rather a light spicy and woody oriental fragrance with a touch of cardamom, which is a note that sometimes gives fragrances a semi-aquatic smell. The so-called "aquatic" note is not overbearing at all (I hate aquatic fragrances), and is merely one facet in this rather multifaceted and complex scent. I like this because I get different whiffs of various notes throughout the day - warm sweet notes, woody notes, the "aquatic" note, pepper notes, etc. - and this makes for a very interesting wear. IH2 is well constructed because none of the notes dominate but rather work in harmony with one another. It's also very transparent, which allows the various notes to smell like they are sparkling.

Despite the association with Hummers, H2 is not just another bland, faceless sports fragrance. This type of scent has certainly been done before, so H2 is not groundbreaking by any means, but it is an interesting and spicy take on the mainstream "fresh" fragrances, and I do feel it sets itself apart from the norm. I typically don't buy these types of fragrances, so it's a bit of an anomaly for me. All in all, I am glad to have Hummer2 in my wardrobe.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

onceling's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

This is quite a heavy scent, in a sharp way. The florals are quite bold, I would consider it more mature than a lot of the releases in this price range. There's a nice faint green-ness in the dry down. Longevity is pretty good, sillage is above average for this kind of scent, you don't have to use much, but by no means overpowering.

For something floral, I would say this is quite accessible for even those that prefer sweeter scents or bold statement perfumes. It's probably right in the middle of the words youthful and mature, the mature young lady should enjoy it.