Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Dorian Gray's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Like a frogman with a leather stetson and chaps wearing washing up gloves under the bonnet of an old car. That said its quite intriguing, like Bulgari Black an Quorum on steroids. I like it but sadly it reminds me too much of the smell of a used condom.

kpointer101's avatar

Zirh by Zirh

A great scent for when you want to smell clean and fresh, but not really unique. Very fresh, but smells very similar to the discontinued Hilfiger Athletics.

obscura's avatar

Silences by Jacomo

Silences is very much in the vein of No. 19, but despite its hushed, mysterious name it comes across as remarkably bright and bubbly. It starts with a rush of bracing green that has a fruity nuance, and develops into a slightly sweet and very inviting floral heart. The drydown is refined but not aloof in the way that some chypres tend to go. As a male, I find No. 19 a bit easier to get away with, but on a warm, sunshiny summer day Silences is irresistible.

Dunx's avatar

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

An aptly named fragrance. Like soaking yourself in white rum infused with freshly pressed sharp cox apple juice - an attribute that may not sound favourable, but it certainly works. Women adore this fragrance, perhaps a little too much - on numerous occasions a compliment has evolved into a request to borrow the spray! If you're big enough to overcome such emasculating requests, it is a beautifully fresh and subtle fragrance.

The only slight qualm is the poor longevity - I seem to eat through 100ml bottles.

Dunx's avatar

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

I find the other reviews of this fragrance both understandable and puzzling at the same time. Although synthetic notes are present, and there are perceptibly 'scratchy' overtones, the fragrance smells fantastic. Fresh, youthful and masculine.

If you are aged under 25, give this a try. Otherwise, steer clear and avoid citrus-induced migraines.

melstation's avatar

Mania (original) by Giorgio Armani

was the best fragrance ever! i miss it dearly, bring it back g.a.!!!! i am so happy when i find a bottle around but that hasn't happened for 2 years!! :...(

weirdcatlady's avatar

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

I first experienced this fragrance as a sample at Dillards in 1989. I purchased it on my next visit and have worn it continually ever since. It has an oriental/floral/woodsy tone that is so elegant and feminine. Men and women remark on how well they like it whenever I wear it. One spray at my throat and one for my left wrist and pressed to my right and it lasts all day. This is a classic scent for women who prefer to smell like women.

Cabaret by Grès

VERY sharp powerful rose with incense. I was ecpecting something VERY different, scared me a little! I think I must have known someone who wore this as I got that "smack in the face" affect when I smell something from the past. I once nearly fell over in the shower when I got a new shampoo, smelled exactly like meds from when I was a child!

Back to the scent, it is very well constructed rose/incense/greenish fragrance but not for me personally.

Tocade by Rochas

Pleasent sweet fragrance with a touch of fruit. Was expecting something more complex after reading Luca Turins review. I had been searching for this for ages and it was a real disapointment. Ah well, my mum is going to have one helluva Christmas! I think my record gift to her was 13 fragrances. She is nearly as mad on fragrances as me!

Cabaret Homme by Grès

This is very much based on Drakkar Noir! Not an unpleasent fragrance but a bit "been there done that". It can be had rediculosly cheap and if you like Drakkar I'd bet you'd also like this.

Agua Verde by Salvador Dali

This is like a milder version of the ltd ed Luxury Green, which I love! Great simple fragrance if you imagine Mulger Cologne sweetend with a tiny touch of fig, not too much fig as I generally really dislike powerful figgy fragrances!

Redleg's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

My first thought when I got it was "Wow, this is the cologne that *everybody* wears." It's got a pleasant enough floral scent with just enough spice to give it an edge. Seems like good to wear to the office; business-like, but not enough to stand out. In my opinion, this is one where it's popularity is actually the biggest strike against it.

Redleg's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

The mint is overpowering and smells synthetic. Admittedly, I'm not a big mint fan to begin with, but this cologne gives me a headache.

odysseusm's avatar

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

* citrus (citron, bergamot)
    Notes:
    * spice (coriander, ginger, cardomom, black pepper)
    * green (artemesia, green tea)
    * wood (birch, cedar)
    * base (white musk, amber)

Opens with lovely citrus, followed quickly by peppery spice. The spice blends effortlessly into woody notes with a hint of green. The birch has a lemony aspect, and that shakes hands with a sharp, woody cedar note.
    Some find this a lightweight scent -- I don't! With several spritzes it is substantial though admittedly translucent. Not as green as Jardin sur le Nil, not as birch-y as Declaration. Invigorating, refreshing, a real energy-boost.

Oviatt's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Polo was destined to be a classic from the moment it came out--unlike anything else available at the time (Devin and even Aramis come close but are no match). Masculine as hell, classy and sexy at the same time, this scent was and is an important addition to the canon of great men's scents. Unfairly pigeonholed as an 80s powerhouse period piece, although it was too widely--and strongly--worn at the time. A little goes a long way but will take you a long way as well. I have worn this on and off since it came out (although I thought that Polo Crest was a great option in its day). I recently revisited this--I was going to buy a new bottle but found a bottle that must be 15 years old that I had forgotten that I had--it had been slumbering in a dark, cool place and when I tried it, I was struck by how incredibly dry and leathery it is in the old formulation--less piney than it is now and more like Yatagan than anything else I can think of, but still uniquely Polo. Great stuff.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This is a fresh, clean scent that completely avoids smelling aquatastic, mariney, or fruitish, and that might be exactly what you're looking for. If I'd found this five years ago I would've been all over it. Sadly, I now crave smells with more POP! Overall this is very well blended, to the point where identifying individual notes was difficult. The only note I could clearly ID was the light musk, and I supposed that's because it closely resembles the pure musk oils that I have.

There is nothing wild or crazy about this, nothing sharp or overpowering, and nothing all that interesting. It's perfect if you work closely with people and don't want their attention to turn to your scent (for better or worse) for more than a moment.

One day I'm going to use the other half of my sample and just enjoy smelling nice.

Héritage by Guerlain

REFORMULATIONS, REFORMULATIONS, REFORMULATIONS!!!

Look, I never really considered myself a huge fragrance guy, but I suppose I turned that corner when I tracked down a vintage bottle of Antaeus.

Anyhow, I got a decant from a nice website that I shant advertise here because this isn't ad space and I don't want to run the risk of having my review knocked down and being accused of spaming. It was the EDP, unless the site isn't to be believed. It was wonderful. I needed to have it, and it was just a matter of time. I noticed it wasn't easy to get the EDP here in the states so I put in a request to a friend going to France. In hindsight I realize that getting it in the States wouldn't have been too hard, but I digress.

See, what I ultimately got was a potent, woody, powdery, overly fruity assault, whereas the sample I has was divinity bottled.

Am I dealing with a reformulation here? Most likely.

Could the sample have really been the EDT and the difference was that huge? I'm sure that's possible.

So, in conclusion, if it's a reformulation I'm dealing with, then BOOOOO!!!!

And if the difference between the two is massively extreme, then BOOOO!!!

Shame on Guerlain for making our lives difficult, either way. When you have multiple versions AND reformulations, you cannot make any loyal customers.

ONE FRAGRANCE, ONE NAME! And that should go for Chanel's new garbage they're passing off as Antaeus, too

Excuse me, but I need to go pick up ten bottles of Extreme L'Instant before they change that as well.

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Even now, almost 24 hours later, my sinus, trachea, and bronchi are suffering, and I'm only allergic to cats (but not siberians, look it up and get you one, I got two) and sucralose. I'm still coughing, no kidding, a day later, after four sprays. And it hit me immediately, at least Black XS takes awhile to make me sick. I tried to get a fair assessment of the smell despite it killing me, and I could make out a sweet, fruity floral top over woodiness, but the overly synthetic nature of it was probably the big deal breaker.

Just bare in mind that even if you like this one the people around you could suffer.
    I will be throwing that sample out posthaste so there are no accidental sprays.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

At first I thought that this fragrance could dodge bullets, but then I realized that when it's ready, it won't have to.

You can read the other reviews to find out about chocolate this and musk that, however, I'm here to tell you all you need to know.

This is The One

Stop trying to hit me and hit me

This review used to sit over with the EDT when both the EDT and EDP fell under the same name. Now there's a seperate page for the EDP, so I need to try the EDT and edit that review, ya feel me?

Anyway, I'm going to buy like five more of these before Guerlain reformulates it, and you should do the same.

llnewcomb's avatar

Stoned by Solange Azagury-Partridge

This is yummy!! A cloud of powdery rose/jasmine with a vanilla bourbon drydown. I also catch the underpinning of Labdanum which give it some interest. It's quality stuff,,,and gets better with each wearing. Although a powdery rose,,,it could work on guys. It is sweet, but not cloying!! I like Cosmic too,,,more bergamot and myrrh,,plus the smooth florals (a chypre), but Stoned is more my style. The bottle is goofy,,but they do include an atomizer that seals the bottle too!!

Aznavour's avatar

Citron de Vigne by Fresh

For those lean times when you can't afford Un Jardin sur le Nil or #3 Green, green, green, and green... because it basically smells like those two.

Pour_Monsieur's avatar

Homage Attar by Amouage

Possibly the most perfect fragrance

pancks's avatar

Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clement's by Heeley

I'd agree with all that Off-Scenter says about this beautiful scent, except, thankfully, it has both very good sillage and lasting power on me. Personal chemistry? I don't know, but it definitely meets those two critical criteria for me. Love this stuff!

SharonJonquille's avatar

October by Neil Morris Fragrances

This is one of my Holy Grail fragrances, because it takes me home to childhood autumns in northern Pennsylvania. kewart's comment about "autumn in a bottle" is perfect, as is this fragrance!

hardlyworking's avatar

Santa Barbara by Lesley Blodgett Perfume Diaries

I bought the roller-ball version because I love the convenience of it. The top notes of lemon and peach come through very prettily and something about the dry down is reminiscent of the salty sea air off the coast of California where dessert conditions meet the beach, which I love for summer and which explains the name. It has good sillage without being overpowering. It's different than any other perfume--another thing I like about it.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

LE MALE smells at first of sweet lavender talc - it is probably this sugary powder aspect that some women find appealing. But the drydown is pure toothache. And unless your idea of foreplay involves food items, there is nothing remotely sexy about this fragrance. Still, I find it wearably pleasant but ONLY in small callibrated doses; I honestly think anyone found guilty of liberal applications should be charged with misanthropic behavior.

Like some of the earlier reviewers, I too find some similarities to Body Kouros and Jacomo Rouge, both of which are imho better compositions. That Le Male continues to sell better than those two is really not a reflection of the fragrance's inherent superiority but rather the superiority of its marketing machinery.

's avatar

Rush by Gucci

On my trip around Europe a friend of mine bought three frangances for a discounted price, one of them been Gucci Rush, not knowing that this was a female scent he gave it to me as a joke, I found it very feminine but was attracted to it so I decided to wear it out for abit of fun and I received alot of comments from the Ladies, they seemed to love it and ever since when I occasionally wear it, it works a charm,
    So It made me decide to purchase another female scent, Gucci by Gucci to give it ago.

OM_995's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Used to be one of my favourites always since the very beginning. A big disappintment is re-disigning of the bottle plus the starting rubber accord feels weaker. The rest seems to stay as it was. Finally, dunno why this has become a rare thing with most of the pf shops. I basically need to order this every time.

OM_995's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Having read most of the comments re MKK here I really decided to test. I was surprised not to really feel any fecal or other dirty notes in this scent as was said by many people here. To me this was fantastic, - a mystery of musc plus some subtle florals like a faint rosy smell (in a good way). Be careful with this because it chains the attention of almost everyone who smells this on you from passers by to ur friends etc. Not really understanding what it was that caught attention these people may become addictive.... to u.

DavidBond007's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

This is one of the best leather frags i have smelled and this is a man's fragrance without a doubt very uncompromising , professional, but dirty sexy in a way. Love it.

22 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2010)