Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

This is the sexiest fragrance I have ever smelled. This combination of tobacco and vanilla makes it masculine but sweet at the same time. I have to get this.

22 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2010)

DavidBond007's avatar

Arabian Wood by Tom Ford

This mixture of rose and wood is sexy for a woman to wear, but for me I couldn't wear it. Too feminine.

22 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2010)

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Fresh but nothing special about it. Too much thyme I would say. After drydown smells like some desinfection substance DIMETHYL-CARBOXYMETHYLAMINE for example. I should sample it first.

redrose's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

I love Samsara! Even though most of my favourite scents are rose-dominant, and even though I'm always looking for new rose scents, I often come back to Samsara - which does actually contain some rose, even though not in huge amounts, and even though it's not listed in the fragrance notes above. Samsara is a warm, comforting scent with that beautiful jasmine-sandalwood-amber accord that lifts my spirits and brings me optimistic thoughts of the day ahead. It does last quite well on me, even though I have dry skin, and yes, it does sort of echo my natural creamy-ambery skin scent. I would never have chosen to try this scent, but my daughter gave it to me several years ago and now I'm never without it!

Baby Touch by Burberry

At first I thought this was a comforting/soothing perfume for teens/adults to remember their childhood or when they had babies but then I realized this is really meant to be used on babies. That just stuns me.

I am going to rate it as a pefume for adults as I think it's totally inappropriate to be putting perfume on babies.

For adults, it starts out smelling like clean, just out of the dryer linen. Next comes the floral. At first the lily of the valley is too much, a bit cloying but that mellows quickly and the jasmine is perfect, it's so soothing and pleasant.

I didn't get any orange but it could be that I'm just so used to certain scents in baby products that I can't distinguish it.

What's really interesting about it is that it smells like the best part of Johnson's baby powder without the powder element.

Once the floral tones fade out, it's a comforting, not too sweet base.

It's really an interesting scent. Like I said, very soothing, comforting, & nostalgic but fresh and innocent at the same time.

That being said, I can't see anyone above mid-teens wearing this regularly and it's too floral (nevermind inappropriate) to put on babies. Imo, it's a safe scent for little girls who want to be grown up and have their own perfume like mommy.

I can appreciate it, I just can't see myself wearing it.

Chance by Chanel

At first this comes off as almost a single note. It's not, but I really get pepper w a hint of patchouli.

At first I was neither here nor there about it but the pepper is constant, nearly becoming too much in a short time. At this point it starts to transform to earthy and almost masculine.

However, just then, the floral appears, softens the pepper (thankfully!), and it's like a whole new animal.

It's a light floral tempered with musk (not so much that you can pick it out but enough to balance it), with a very faint remnant of spice and earth with a bit of sweetness.

The floral aspect does come off as just the slightest bit cloying. I could probably get past the initially too strong pepper OR the slightly cloying floral and see if I could get it to work in the spring but not with BOTH those characteristics.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Normally I don't go for something so mainstream, but it's a fantasic summer scent for work. It's not dominantly floral or powdery. It's more feminine in the beginning but ends out being unisex in the end. That's fine with me, it's clean, fresh, & classy. I can see why it's so popular with nurses.

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

At first spray I get the overwhelming tea, I thought oh boy, too much. Then it mellows and I get the lemon & sweetness and it settles in to a delicate floral w the tea background (I don't get the mint or spices). I have to agree that it cycles very quickly and has almost no lasting power. Pleasant and unobtrusive perfect for summer days and vacations imo.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I wore this in the 80's when I was in my "powder" stage. I wore it up until people started commenting that I smelled like an old lady (more than one!!). I had been away from it for quite a few years & decided to try it again. I still love the light/white florals that stand out, they are truly beautiful but the powder element puts me off to it and I can no longer wear it.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

When this first went on it smelled spicy, sultry, & sexy but alas, that element took a backseat to the powder that blankets it :(
    Strong and long lasting, just wish they could do away with the powder element.

Omnia by Bulgari

When I first picked up this bottle, I almost didn't spray it because upon first sniff of the bottle, all I could smell was powder. I decided to try it anyway because several people suggested it.

What a difference. It's sweet, very very sweet at first w a little pepper. That mellows quickly and the spices start to make their appearances. At this point the powdery note creeps back in and dominates then it goes back to the sweetness where it settles into a soft, subtle, unobtrusive light equally spicy/powdery/sweet scent. It's very "safe"

Ultimately, not for me as the powder note is too strong. Such a shame because the spice is perfect.

Reaction Women by Kenneth Cole

I liked the first citrus/fruity notes and the floral that came next but then it morphed on me. I got a powdery element and something I couldn't quite place except that it gave me a headache & made me feel nauseous. It's like I liked the dominant scent but the one/s behind it/complimenting it ruined it for me.

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

I was quite surprised by this as I am not a big fan of florals. That being said, when it first goes on it's a combo of fresh (citrus), floral (white flowers), and lightly spicy (ginger).

The citrus fades into the clean floral but then the mysterious sultry, sexy element comes in (woods and amber would be my guess).

In the end the woods/amber note takes a backseat to the honey and vanilla. It ends out sweet w a warm undertone that really makes it pleasant. I was afraid the vanilla and honey would make it too sweet but it's not a sugary sweet, it's more mellow and definitely not overdone.

I plan to wear this as my winter work scent (maybe even late fall too).

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Normally I don't like fruity perfume, they're usually too sweet but this one is something else! It's fruity, floral, fresh, sweet, and unique. It's the perfume to wear when you're feeling playful or flirty.

I wish they had it as an ETP so it would last longer but otherwise it's a perfect casual spring & summer scent for teens to 30ish. Not suited for those who work in a professional setting though, too sweet and not complex enough. I could see teenagers being able to get away with wearing this at night but I would think girls in their 20's would want something a little more for night time.

The bottle is so cute too!!

Chance Eau Fraîche by Chanel

It took a minute for the alcohol smell to dissipate but I suppose that's to be expected with an eau de fraiche.
    When I first put it on I get the citrus and cedar, it's mouthwatering. Then the floral starts to emerge w a bit of a powdery scent. In its finality, it's floral w a unique woodsy/green note. Odd thing is it almost seems...flat and one dimensional. Even so, I probably still would have gone for it if it hadn't faded in less than an hour and a half.
    eta:
    It doesn't give me the impression of being a "younger" scent as others have stated. I think it's more sophisticated than that and imo it's a perfect summer scent for work.

jaironhoward's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Such a classy and elegant fragrance. Floral, but exquisite and still masculine enough for me. I'm new to this scent even though it's been out for 16 years. It's very attractive and can be a great signature scent or a night out scent as well. Pretty decent longevity. 6+ on my skin. Great buy!

leslietemples's avatar

Initial by Boucheron

I have used many perfumes over the years and have never had as many compliments about one as I have this one. Specifically, I have had many men stop me and ask the name of the fragrance (some wrote the name down). It is not for someone who isn't a bit bold in personality, it is not soft. It is like a big bold very velvety cabernet. I love it!!!

Velazquez's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

INTENSE??!! This is "intense" during 10 minutes, and after that, you really need to be close to smell anything.

Velazquez's avatar

Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Gomez

WOW!!!! This one is from my homeland Madrid, and I can tell you it is far beyond any fashion. It has been in spanish perfumeries ever since 1912. There are very few sensations that can compare to splashing this over you after the shower. The perfect scent to be used by all the family. And so cheap!!!!

CoL's avatar

Dalimania by Salvador Dali

Adore the sweet trashiness of this fragrance. Sweet fruit with a touch of floral to it. Dali's new Dalimix Black (not yet in the database) is almost an exact copy of this. Just goes to show, 10 years on and this has moved to gender free! Love it love it love! Not every fragrance you wear has to be perfectly constructed with purple tasmanian ice froth etc.. You know when you but a Dali fragrance at this price range that it's not going to include sweetend tears of himalayan monks, it's going to be mainly aromachemicals. SO WHAT! If it smells great, I'm past caring! I think too many of us can get caught up pure natural content, which it all can't be as it would be aromatherapy not perfuming. Generally you get what you pay for, this is mid ranged and it's great! It does'nt lie or hide anything, it's supposed to be a spray and go!

22 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2012)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Adidas Moves by Adidas

Almost a perfect citrus fragrance. It's cheap, it smells good, it gets compliments, it actually does last long -- if you understand there is more to a fragrance than the projecting top notes. It's complete and versatile. The base notes are light creamy woods.

One problem, however. There is a sort of onion like smell up close for a period in the opening. Hard to explain, but always there for me. I'd assume (like with numerous other cheapies) I get it from the clash in chemicals in this one. Fortunately, it goes away eventually.

I have spent many many years with this fragrance in my collection. Gone through a few bottles, and find it to be a great citrus scent. Will always have a bottle in my collection. Sort of a comfort scent for a fresh zesty citrus blast. Also very similar to Versace pH.

Between this and Curve, imo, the 2 best economical citrus fragrances on the market. Unfortunately, both have a problem with a chemical smell in their notes. So when recommending the perfect citrus fragrance, I can't go with either of these, because they have this flaw.

Something a little pricier like Bvlgari pH Extreme, or Lalique White are excellent choices for that perfect citrus scent that just hits the spot.

22 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

manicboy's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

If you're looking for what's wrong with masculine perfumery these days, look no further than L'Homme. YSL has a track record for producing high quality and excellent men's frags like no other perfumery house in the universe. Rive Gauche PH, Kouros, M7...I could go on and on about their past glories. When one bought one of YSL masculine frags, you could not go wrong. And you could always find them for a good price to boot. Pure heaven! Sadly it seems that YSL have succombed to the almighty dollar and became much like every other house on the street - boring. And that's pretty much L'Homme in a nutshell. Generic and forgettable, a cologne to blend in with the masses. At least the bottle looks cool.

robyogi's avatar

Park Royal by Anglia Perfumery

Wow, two fragrances from the same house that fit into my "stuffy floral clove bomb" category. Okay, so this one is not as floral, or as clovey, or as stuffy as Richmond, but it's still pretty clovey. The notes listed on the Anglia website differ from the note listing above. Top: lemon, galbanum, cedar leaf, rosemary. Mid: lavender, nutmeg, clove. Base: patchouli, amber, moss, and "precious woods." To my nose, clove and patchouli dominate the fragrance through the heart notes. Something sitting in the background smells a bit like violet even though there is none listed in the notes. The base gets mossier the further into the development you go, until the amber shows up at the very end, providing a lightly powdery sweetness. Like the other Anglias I have tried, this seems like a relatively simple and basic fragrance, a good way to train your nose in what certain notes smell like and how a top, middle, and base differ, but not all that exciting or interesting.

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

Hard not to love this, unless you are not into synthetic fragrances. This is a close relative of D&G Lightblue. Same sharp sweet with a strong citrus cut. I would definately agree with sexy. This is beautiful on a city girl with a high tech flair, in the summer ofcourse.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Thought I reviewed this already...I guess not. Renewed interest in this especially since Boss Bottled Night is released. Woody, cedary but still quite synthetic. To anuntrained nose (mine many years ago) you will love and adore the wodiness of this, and the vanilla in the dry down is a nice touch. But after having sampled many higher quality scents, this went into the for sale bin.

No matter, this is a perfect scent for office wear or a signature scent nowadays...it is receiving less attention and it smells quite different from the laundry detergent standard in play today. Might be a good time to start rocking this again. And I wonder what the night version smells like...?

DKNY Energy Men by Donna Karan

Strange, yes. Harsh? somewhat. Green...very green AND dark. And sweet. Not sure what is energetic about this. It smells like one of the many pointless flankers from Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet line. Not very wearable, but great toilet spray after you know what.

michailG's avatar

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

Amber 114 is a peculiar one for me. Its opening is a cheerful blast then it quickly mellows ... because of the sweetness of vanilla? But it is not only sweetness that I sense because there is also the freshness and sharpness of woods. I cannot say I am a lover of amber per se; however, Amber 114 is a well made albeit not maybe an innovative composition. Now, why did I start saying that this is a peculiar perfume… I read that nowadays the use of ambergris is replaced by synthetics in perfumery, and that the original substance, fresh, had presumably a … faecal odour. Well Histoires de Parfums has managed to recreate, to my nose at least, some of that odour so subtly blended that could very easily be taken as earthy pungency. I guess that this is what occidentals have attached to and associated with oriental exoticism in too strong, sensual, almost “dirty” perfumes. The dry down of Amber 114 is sweet and olfactory (the musk might also have a role in this) but maybe because of its earthiness, woodiness and subtle sourness it is also fascinating. If you ever come across Amber 114 give it a cautious go… and good luck.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

One day I'm going to return to this scent and maybe buy a decent decant to douse myself with. I figure that a serious over-application could clear up the lingering doubt I have, because the bottom line is that this scent is terrific, and yet it has the longevity and sillage of freshly washed skin. And of course that lingering doubt I'm having is concerning whether or not this is THE HOLY GRAIL of green scents. You see, as smell goes, this easily out-performs all of the fresh, light, soapy. ethereal, etc. that I have ever smelled. ASP makes you painfully aware that most other scents in the genre cause you to smell like you're wearing a scent, while ASP makes you a spring-meadow incarnate.

It is what it is.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

This is a transportation fragrance, or at least it is when it dries down to its heart and base. Now, it's been awhile since I've been on a boat, but this is the salty sea air as best as I can remember it. And I'll be damned that this doesn't really work as something I'd like to wear. It smells good in an interesting way. Perhaps it's that the iodine note keeps this cold and sterile, and yet there isn't anything warm and inviting to offset that. Either way, it's a damn fine piece of art.

Now the opening is different in that it doesn't agree with the basic idea of the base. I smell a citrus and smoke accord that doesn't seem to blend. It isn't so much bad as it is jarring. However I'm going to guess that this opening is more due to the way the entire fragrance evolves into an oceanic experience, and without that opening, the fragrance would cease being a work of art and become a mere sum-of-its-parts affair.

In conclusion I cannot give a thumbs up because I wouldn't want to wear it, but I can't give a thumbs down because I have no beef with it.

Perhaps a rum note would've made this a winner?
    I really am a caveman.

Aznavour's avatar

Kim Kardashian by Kim Kardashian

I agree that for a celeb scent, it's not bad. But it's also a copy of Michael Kors Michael, which is the better of the two.