Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Stargazer's avatar

Wales Wales

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Yuckety yuck - dear lord, what an awful stink! Loud, brash, sickly, crude. Had to wash it off straight away. Trying to think what it reminded me of, then it came to me: the flyspray that Australian Immigration used to spray over passengers on arrival at Perth airport.

Stargazer's avatar

Wales Wales

Omnia by Bulgari

Elegant, complex, a wonderfully crafted fragrance where all the notes swirl together and then ....pause, like a butterfly landing.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Pink Lotus by Aftelier

Created for Madonna and I am a big Maddy fan . :)
    Notes of rare pink lotus and turn of the century sandalwood.
    Firstly it smells pure. Secondly,I have never smelt pink lotus absolute or oil but the aroma I am getting is unique and delicious. Delicate floral and such a wonderful sandalwood. Amazing stuff ! THIS is a quality perfume.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Homage Attar by Amouage

Try as I might, I cannot find an ounce of love for this. I generally have loved all the Amouages I have tried but not this one. Yes, only a couple of drops is needed , yes it blooms, yes, the quality is great but I think it doesn't agree with my chemistry because despite two samplings on myself and yet another one on my husband , I cannot find much rose ,only oud ( a lot of it ! ) ,frankincense and maybe smidgens of amber too. It's quite sharp at first and the perfume gods forgive me... it is like men's aftershave. I did really want to like this one ,was prepared to pay the price for the 12 mls but sadly, it's a no go for me.

nonnative's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

I like Hermès fragrances. They are so bitter and bright. And this is exacty in the Hermés style. But honestly I can't perceive any rose .... It would have been such a better, more sofisticate product with a strong rose ...

onceling's avatar

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

This has an odd creamy sweetness, and it is well crafted, there are a lot of different scents at play within the fragrance and it changes nicely as it dries down. However, although a bit unusual with nice character it is still not very unique or inspiring. It's a bit boring all the way throughout. It makes you want to sniff it again but then still leaves you a bit underwhelmed when you do. There's some nice floral notes in the middle but they faded super quick on me, and I barely experienced anything of the top at all.

The creaminess can be a bit nauseating, and that's not something I've experienced much of. Still, it would be a nice scent for someone who's skin it works well on.

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

If the top notes presented themselves more here or even stuck around longer I would love this. But I still like it plenty enough. Lalique Pour Homme begins with a solid ten minutes of vague but good citrus top which gives way all too soon to the powdery Iris mid-stage, and soon after to the vanilla/patchouli/oakmoss base. The reason I can't fault this one is that the base is undeniably the best part and I love it. The base goes on as if making up for the shortcoming of the top before it. Very powdery for a masculine, a bit smoky, and discernibly French. This may not be of the caliber of the later Equus, but treat it as its own beast and you'll enjoy it.

Le Roy Soleil Homme by Salvador Dali

My, what a strange one...
    Le Roy Soleil smells mostly of melon and pepper, a common combination of late, but this was a creation of the nineties. There's a bit of orange and lots of underlying musk, but as pepper doesn't appear in the pyramid I suspect it's an accord caused by some of the dry woods used. The overall effect is like allowing fruit juice and lotion to sizzle on a person's sun-heated skin. It sounds strange, but it's pleasant. I'll have to wear this one to the beach to fully appreciate it.

Cuba Blue by Cuba Paris

Cuba Blue is a cheaper version of Bijan's Wicked, which is in itself a combination of all the best parts of CK One and Azzaro Chrome. The lavender is there but a little toned down, but the lily of the valley is full on correct. It's been said before that this won't score marks for originality but it, like most in the line, is great for the price, despite the lessened longevity. I don't love it, but I highly recommend it for an inexpensive hot weather scent.

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Cuba Gold fits the description I put forth for Perry Ellis 360 White well, only lighter. If you want Le Male without the body odor and the toothpaste smell, and you don't want it to be quite so 'loud,' this is perfect for you. This is 360 White 'Light.'

Cuba Orange by Cuba Paris

Orange (how appropriate!), amber, and tobacco. That's all I get here. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but there are my two scents. It's not bad at all, and I can see the resemblance to Dunhill Desire (aren't all the cigar frags just copy scents?). Nothing wrong with this one, but it doesn't establish itself too well. A self-pleaser for sure if you like it. If you enjoy this one but want more, try Guess by Marciano for Men.

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

Cuba Red is a fine bargain fragrance if ever there was one. In keeping with the theme of their line of scents, a light and nice pipe tobacco scent is maintained throughout the better part of its lifespan, which is only about 4 hours, but at $4 a bottle(?) reapplication isn't a hindrance. This tobacco is fresh and is accompanied by a light cinnamon and what might be plum or similar dried fruit, which would make this a direct imitation of Burberry's London. It's certainly a little thinner than London, but the overall effect is there, and at literally one tenth the price, I have no complaints. It's spicy, fun, and more affordable than anything else I can name that's actually worth wearing. Wish I'd discovered this sooner!

BayKAT's avatar

Le Rivage des Syrtes / PdN1 by MDCI

So hmm.. this is unique. I"ve only been exposed to pineapple a few other times, and here it is quite pronounced.

Pineapple is not crisp and tart like a typical citrus, it is weighty, and in general this opens 'low, full and heavy' to me (so I don't get the refreshing blast that you would expect from these top notes)

At the one hour mark this rounds out and becomes warm and luscious. I like this phase best, its very comforting. I don't detect the incense at all, which is a shame. The pineapple stays with this fragrance throughout, but it is more enjoyable after the one hour mark.

This is a good fragrance, thumbs up. ITs not my favorite from this line (that would Nicolai's other submission, En Coeur en Mai). But it is far from the worst from this house (Vepres S., with its highly stinky caramel note)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Signature Story For Him by Beckham

This stuff is at my local TJ Maxx.. I had the displeasure of buying it then returning it within the hour. It smelled pretty good in the store. Sort of like a mix of Le Male, Polo Double Black and the lemon notes from Live Jazz. It smelled similar on my skin, but very headache inducing, extremely cloying, and with that nasty papery smell. The smell is a bit exotic and captivating at first, sort of gourmandish yet somewhat sporty and citrus. The closest I can compare it to are Le Male, and Double Black, but with some citrus in the top. Actually, if you have ever tried a Le Male wannabe known as 360 White by Perry Ellis, this is very similar. They both share that beyond cloying opening that is just too over the top and powdery in feel and slightly in smell if you know what I mean. Bleh.. NEXT!

1.7 oz of Signature Story is going for 16.99 at TJ Maxx, and that price is too much to me. This isn't worth more than 7 bucks at best.. and even if it were that low, I probably wouldn't buy it. While at the same time, Story doesn't compromise the quality ingredients, it does smell very rich and heavy, which at first made me ask myself if i was really sniffing a Coty fragrance.

Coty.. Beckham..Get your sh*t together already! Try making a fragrance with a quality feeling like this one, but with a pleasing aroma. Dip into some of your Nautica's for advice, at least all from the Voyage lineup smell great. Signature Story is just another sad story.

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

If I ever was to be restricted to all my fragrances coming only from one house, La Myrrhe would show me why it would definitely be Serge Lutens for me. I had thought of whether I should blind buy La Myrrhe and Sarrasins or not (from the wax samples). Fortunately, all the reviews here led me to think I can't go wrong with these.
    I was surprised with La Myrrhe to find it much more 'charming' or let's say 'accessible' than some reviews might suggest. I personally would have never come to think of Chanel aldehydes when referring to the opening blast of this. Aldehydes yes, but not overpowering to me (I'm not particularly fond of Chanel). My next surprise was that I found it a comfortably, but more sweet scent that I had expected. The initial sweetness is pulled back a bit with the myrrh coming to the foreground more, which I absolutely enjoy. This development reminds me of Fourreau Noir, although this is a quite different story.
    I can see no gender classification appropriate here. There is nothing feminine or masculine about La Myrrhe. Serge Lutens has nearly always masterfully achieved a unisexness or genderlessness in their fragrances, which is really unique to me. SL will always have my highest esteem for this, because they are so utterly right in executing it skillfully. La Myrrhe is a pinnacle among the SLs, besides Chergui, Rose de Nuit, Sarrasins, Fourreau Noir, Cuir Mauresque,... Again, I have stated this a couple of times, the top quality lies in the exclusive line.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

The first time I smelled this I sensed some comforting, familiar flavor, something herbaceous. The second time, I zeroed straight in to ripe, perfumy pineapple. Then it hit me. Pineapple, lemon grass, maybe tamarind? Southeast Asian hot and sour soup - fragrant, uplifting and perfectly blended. Maybe this was a foreshadowing of Diptyque's later Vietnam-themed fragrances (Do Son and Tam Dao). I'm not getting much rose, but I do get a dose of neroli and other tropical florals.

Vetiver pour Elle by Guerlain

If vetiver could be made into a mouthwatering candy or pastry - the way other aromatic vegetal ingredients like mint, licorice, horehound, angelica, and anise could - it would taste the way Vetiver pour Elle smells. The layer of florals here wouldn't be out of place in a Middle Eastern sweet.

Santal by Fragonard

A complex scent that quickly turns musky in an herbaceous, mushroomy way, and not animalic. It recalls some aspects of Musc Ravageur. I'm not getting much of the milky, fruity, floral characteristics of sandalwood. The woods at the base of this scent are darker, heavier, and drier. This is quite a difference from the other Fragonards I've tried, which tend toward the bright, cheerful, and translucent. Rather fascinating.

alio's avatar

Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera

The only fragrance that anyone ever compliments me on. I've worn a number of well known fragranes like Valentino, Burberry, Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs but this is the only one that people stop me over and say I smell so heavenly. Even ex-beaus comment on it still and say that they can't get that smell out of their minds in a good way! Tried Douglas Hopkins ASE b/c had similar notes of Jasmine and Tuberose but it stank on me like Chanel does.

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

way too feminine and overpriced for my taste.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

The first whiff out of the bottle almost knocked me out with how sweet it smelled like candy. Once it hit my skin though, I loved the smell. Seems to be long lasting on me as well.

Aramis by Aramis

Great masculine smell; it proclaims your presence.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I LOVE the smell however I the scent fades away so quickly on my skin.

saying's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

Marylin Monroe once said,"just a few drops of Chanel No.5 Perfume." In my eyes, Chanel is really charming and anazing.

LadyOsborne's avatar

Wrappings by Clinique

I go along with my guardian angel and WRAPPINGS. No other fragrance keeps up with it. I fall in love with it again and again and search everywhere to get just one bottle of it.

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Balenciaga Paris by Balenciaga

Distinctive, yet with this reassuring "I-smelled-this-before" element, which makes it easy to wear.

Balenciaga does remind me of 2 great fragrances of the late 1980's: Boucheron and Kenzo. They share that same powder/spice/honey base, but Balenciaga (without being shy) is more subtle and therefor ,of course, more modern. That spicy-powdery base has become somewhat of a signature of Olivier Polge (see Flowerbomb and KenzoPower)
    I would qualify Balenciaga as an abstract fragrance because I don't distinct any note in particular. Yes it has violet in it, but does it smell violet-like? No, not really. It is spicy, but which spices enter its composition I would not be able to tell. I find it even difficult to put into a particular fragrance family. I bet soft spicy floriental?
    Frankly, I very seriously think that this juice is completely synthetic, but who would care when something smells so good :-)

It's virtually age-less I can see a young fashionista wearing this as much as a classic lady.

Bravo! Olivier Polge!

SteelerOpera's avatar

Hearts & Daggers for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

At first a nice, strong, spicy scent that is nothing like it's namesake or bottle. However, it does not last at all on me more than an hour. Also, I feel there would be some personal shame for me answering the question "What are you wearing?" with 'Ed Hardy'..

SteelerOpera's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I was able to get a hold of this at the fragrance counter earlier this week. While it hasn't been released I was able to get a very healthy decant of it and at first was very impressed. Different from the other Chanel releases (someone said a Chanel rep called it a combination of Platinum and Allure Sport, which is just wrong in my opinion) which is good for me.

It seems to be much deeper than most other Chanel's and might be good for me for fall and winter, but I am getting inconsistent length from it. One day it lasted very well, then next not long at all. I will test this more and hope for consistent results.

To me it smells like a combo of dark tone of JPG le male, the green leaf of JOOP!'s What about Adam and bit of the brightness of Prada Amber without the sweetness.

The more I try it I am not sure if I could distinguish it as a high quality fragrance of Chanel's caliber. Shamefully, my nose almost thinks of this as a newer upgrade of Preferred Stock.

Honestly I think I will need to wear it in cooler weather since it has been in the 90's here everyday and that may be messing with my judgment.

In a few words: Interesting, Hopeful and cautious. neutral rating for right now, but leaning toward thumbs up.

zztopp's avatar

Quercus by Penhaligon's

Notes:
    Top: Lemon, Lime, Mandarin, Bergamot, Basil
    Heart: Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Cardamom
    Base: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Galbanum, Musk, Amber

I sat down with a bunch of new samples to review, and Quercus was the first one out of the batch. I tried it a couple of times, ran an errand while wearing it, and then thought to myself...should I spend my time and effort reviewing such a super-generic by the numbers fragrance such as Quercus (british oak) when this fragrance smells nothing like the astringent british bark or their sweetish flowers. I mean really why should I spend my precious time describing its decent but workmanlike lime-mandarin opening, a most-common lily of the valley floral heart with a dusting of light cardamom, and an overwhelmingly white musk base with a drop of green in the form of galbanum and little to no moss? Quercus is so light, distant and generic that many will think that Penhaligons has sold out...but the truth is they sold out quite some time ago. I don't demand mind-bending, industry shattering formulas from every new fragrance I try ...thats just impossible. I do however like standard accords if they are well done with some twist ...but Quercus is just standard. Next !!

Rating: 5.5/10.0

TaoLady's avatar

Début by Delrae

I love all things Delrae (and all things Roudnitzka) and again - let's hear it for body chemistry.

On me Debut comes flying out with muguet (I frequently bypass the top and sometimes middle notes and go straight to the heart or soul of things. What can I tell you.) Swiftly mingled with linden but none of the lime others have mentioned. Over time it mellows. It's lightly green (that there vetiver) and the musk unnoticeable. On me.

Part of Gemini me is Old School and I love these full-bodied florals. Can't imagine this on a guy.