Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rouge Hermès by Hermès

I'm still amazed with Rouge Hermés. I should hate it, as I used to hate in the past. I already had a bottle of this fragrance in the past, in the old bottle, and I couldn't wear it despite the posh aura that the fragrance had. Rouge hermés used to be a dry, sophisticade, powdery floral fragrance to me, that seemed perfect for an elegant old lady, but not for me. I tried several times to like it, but I couldn't stand the powdery, dry flowery accord that the fragrance had.
    But then, yesterday something happened. I tried it again on skin, in the new minimalist hermés bottle. At first, I hated it as usual. But then the fragrance started to grow on me. It was like discovering that you suddenly feel attracted for someone that you couldn't stand, and exactly by the same reasons that made you hate that person. It's what happened to me with Rouge Hermés. I should hate it, but why I cannot stop thinking of it? Rouge hermés has a difficult aura, a combination of dry spices, bitter resins and woods, but if you spray just a small amount of it on you, you'll see that the dryness of this strange creature it's cozy and enfolds you in a woody resinous spice scent that works like a protection against the cold weather. An amazing fragrance, hard to understand, but superb on the right amount used in the right days.

Scentologist's avatar

Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones

I finally got a chance to sample this one. At first, I was blown away. What immediately came to mind was cold moon rocks. It does have that space fizziness enveloped around what I would perceive as moon rock. Or, I suppose a dry cold stone rock on earth would be the same. I was really digging it until it developed a little further. I started to warm just a little. Then I was reminded of Magma that has been cooled and blackened on the surface but still red and warm underneath. It was just past this point that it started to get cloying and annoying on me. I appreciate this for the imagination that went in to it but, I don't think it is wearable for me. A neutral rating for its spectacular beginning but not a thumbs up for its horrible dry down.

chorando's avatar

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

Iceberg Twice has a trick up it's sleeve. or rather a trick it wears on it's sleeve. It has a stellar opening that is bright and uplifiting. It fizzes with lemon zest and mint. A happy scent on the surface with a dirty underbelly. There are many comparisons to be made here and though not that original Iceberg Twice nestles rather comfortably into a family that has good heritage. On the surface there are similarities to YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentree and Rochas Moustache - both possessing a sweatiness up top, but the difference being with Iceberg twice is that first whiff! It is bright clean and mood enhancing. Iceberg Twice's nasent heart is reminiscent of Lapidus pour homme where thyme coupled with the Indolic jasmine make for a slightly scuzzy feel that is quite a contrast to it's opening. That said the transition from top to middle is quite natural and seamless. As it progresses the freshness fades and we are left with a warmth that is quite generic but not jarring or offensive. All the usual players are present and with the Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver combination the earthy quality remains to the last. The longevity of this scent is great and the sillage too.

michailG's avatar

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

1740 starts with an incense-like blast, while unfortunately bergamot is very short-lived. But nothing to worry about because soon after there comes such richness and all notes blend-in artfully. Leather is very potent already from the start, and I believe that cedar and labdanum warm up 1740. This is an olfactory but very sensual perfume, indeed more masculine than feminine. Drying down 1740 has an almost citrusy accord and a spiciness that I read could be due to elemi. After a few hours wearing 1740 I detect a coffee undertone… I most enjoy this final phase. I am not sure if Marquis de Sade would approve of 1740 but he might as well have had done so. 1740 is marvellous.

24 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2010)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The top is lemondroppy green and the bottom is a fruity musk. Somewhere in between there was some magic brewing, and had it stopped and lingered there I would've had some serious "big purchasing" to consider, but it didn't last. It's light, but not the type of disappearing-act light that has become a trademark of the niche fresh fragrances. Overall, it's nice with about 20 minutes of fantastic.

centerpin's avatar

Germany Germany

Aramis by Aramis

This is again one of the classics where I am not too fond of the EDT because it is too strong and cloying. I have tried the EDT several times over the years,knowing about its greatness, but it never attracted me to buying a bottle. I generally do love the start very much but then it just gets too much. So I finally bought the After Shave in the hope for a more decent sensation.
    What a revelation! Fantastic! The Aramis Classic is such a wonderful chypre and a true masterpiece. The after shave delivers everything I love about this fragrance plus a nice cooling drydown. It is still long lasting (5 hours) potent and complex.
    I love the patchouli in it and it is a true 70s reminder. Aramis is beyond being judged to be dated or not, it is anyway only for men who do not care ubout the latest trends. In my opinion nothing for men under 40,yeah, sometimes you just have to wait for the good stuff. Yes I do agree that it is a milder form of "the beast" Yatagan (which I have also reviewed), it is animalistic, old school but also to a degree romantic.I have to admit that there is sometimes an slight impression of "old ladies handbag" and also a certain bitterness, but it doesn´t bother me at all-it is just not an "easy" onedimensional scent.
    I personally do not see Aramis as the perfect business fragrance, for that it is too dominant,potent and "room filling",it is more a fall/winter leisure wear fragrance. I will continue to use Givenchy Gentleman for business. By the way, the Aramis Maltplexx hair gel is the best on the market in my humble opinion.
    If you are interested, here are my 4 all time favouites(all After Shave):
    Aramis(leisure)

centerpin's avatar

Germany Germany

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Tommy smells.everything mixed together,it was probably composed on Acid.
    maybe it tastes good. whatever.

Metalys / Metallica by Guerlain

Very delectable powder confection of vanilla and lightly spiced carnation. Quite beautiful ,quite vintage smelling though a modern release. Very Guerlain ,of the days when Jean Paul Guerlain was at the helm . Needs to be re released !

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Oh I love Habit Rouge . A classic complex citrus vanilla scent for men but also for women who can open their minds to something a little different . It's elegant ,classy , versatile, light yet long lasting and smells delicious. A little powdery and though it's vanilla ,I find it a savory scent. Very sniffable. Lovely ! :)

Royal Water by Creed

When I smell Royal Water, I think of the Diana memorial fountain / water sculpture ( some call it a drain ! ) in Hyde Park /Kensington Gardens in London during summer with the kids playing in it and the sun is glinting off the water. This is actually an excellent lemony citrus scent , quite strong . I like it.

epicurean's avatar

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A pleasant musk in the clean genre à la Body Shop's "White Musk" shower gel. It's also what the pretty good girls at my high school used to smell like -- you know the type: the ones that convey that clinical kind of clean that's very American; like freshly shampooed hair. But having to reference the Body Shop and high-school girls shouldn't be happening, when the subject at hand is a Lutens scent. On the up side, the aldehydic note mentioned by one of the reviewers above is definitely there, and it is reminiscent of Chanel, but the powdery-clean No. 22 more than No. 5. I just recently smelled No. 22 again for the first time in years, and it is grand (and it was a 15-/20-year-old bottle), whereas this one is merely pleasant.

rhodes22's avatar

Roses Musk by Montale

opens like wet dew scented roses
    stays close for several minutes then turns to ligh tuberose musk
    very interesting rose musk

Bartlebooth's avatar

Van Gils by Van Gils

A functional eighties powerhouse pretender, that never quite pulls off the feat of becoming three dimensional. Citric, herbal and lightly spiced in the opening, it quickly creates a soapy aura that mollifies those merely seeking a cleansed palate. Though lacking the requisite oakmoss to legitimately be called a fougere, it does all it can to give the illusion of membership. Aromatic, powdery and simplistic, it twists and writhes very little in its stroll to the base. Ultimately, Van Gils includes the blossomed sweetness of jasmine with some traditional base note stalwarts to finish on a moderate high. When judging this on affordability, simplicity and wearabilty – it’s an adequate creation. However, there are numerous candidates from this era that are better made and more worthy of attention

pansylady's avatar

Osmanthus by Keiko Mecheri

This scent left me with the impression of a sun warmed plum blossom, rather than osmanthus. It was pleasant enough, but I agree that the true osmanthus scent was not captured here.

24 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 October, 2010)

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Free Spirit by Tova Borgnine Beverly Hills

My coffret of Tova fragrances has Body,Mind &Spirit which smells like an
    almost-twin of Tresor by Lancome (also by Sophia Grojsman) except for a tiny bit of fruityness in the topnote and a possible whisper of mint in the drydown.
    I don't know this brand at all but the name of my bottle and this is similar and the scent seems like aone of Grojsman 's to me so I reviewed it here.
    Basically if you like Tresor you will probably like this slight variation on it.

informer_at's avatar

Open by Roger & Gallet

Very simillar to Quorum by Antonio Puig. Clean, masculine, strong.

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

White flowers in general are difficult to appreciate for me, but I have learned that jasmine plays a vital part in some fragrances that I love on myself (e.g. Une Fleur de Cassie). However, I often find the jasmine treated in fragrances loud and offensive, mostly overpowering. The way jasmine is treated here is sublime. It is distinctive but soft. Sarrasins smells to me a lot like skin scented with jasmine and a slightly darker leathery touch to it. This really is the thrill about this fragrance! A wonderful and sophisticated creation and again, no gender classification appropriated as I would have expected it from my favorite house Serge Lutens. This is one of the crown jewels in the Serge Lutens exclusive line.

Enslaved by Roja Dove

I really do not understand why this is not given more attention and praise. I own and love Habanita (EdT and Parfum Extrait), but one has to be fair. Compare Enslaved EdP with Habanita EdT and you have to admit that Habanita smells cheap, which is okay as I don't think it would be appropriate that it smelled too much of luxury and so forth given the idea behind it. The comparison with Habanita Parfum Extrait is difficult. Enslaved EdP is very close, indeed. However, I think Enslaved is a touch "warmer" and does not have this subtle green note (galbanum?) that runs through Habanita. Again, I am not a 100 % sure whether Habanita Parfum smells of quality all through. In the end, Enslaved manages to be a touch less ladylike, which I have come to appreciate. Then, think of the price difference as Enslaved is the EdP! Enslaved has good, noticeable but not offensive sillage, incredible longevity (even with my unforgiving skin chemistry), smells heavenly good and of quality ingredients! What more do you want?

Black Tie by Washington Tremlett

The comparison with Czech & Speake's Dark Rose is inevitable, but I admit I find Dark Rose more daring, more original and a touch sexy, whereas Black Tie is playing it safe. But okay, it is probably supposed to be a gentleman's choice given its name and I realise I am just not gentleman enough to really enjoy it fully. Having said that, it is a very good scent, worth checking out for sure, probably worth the price they ask, but does not sing to me.

HanaToYume's avatar

Harajuku Lovers - G by Gwen Stefani

G is one of five fragrances released by Gwen Stefani in her dive into the world of fragrances under her Harajuku Lovers label. The tag-line "A Fatal Attraction To Cuteness" speaks volumes about this fragrances, particularly in it's package and bottle design. This eau de toilette fits in the palm of your hand and sits under a three inch plastic doll. G is based after Gwen herself and features blonde curly hair with a black bow, a white tank top with a ruffled design, a blue miniskirt, fishnet socks and black shoes. These bottles are pure vanity candy and look quite lovely lined up in a row. The perfume bottle itself is quite simplistic and features the name of the perfume as well as the Harajuku Lovers brand logo. At 10ml (or .33 fluid ounces) you don't get a whole lot of juice, but given that the majority of the production value lies in the plastic dolls, it's understandable.

The fragrance itself when initially sprayed smells distinctively of coconut and apple, almost shampoo-like, this scent is quite pleasant and rather inoffensive. The scent does develop too deeply on my skin, and dries down to a creamy coconut. The scent doesn't last too long, maybe two or three hours at the most. Not great considering you don't have tons of juice to keep reapplying, but honestly I think I would grow sick of it if it was heavily applied over a long period of time.

Overall, I quite like this scent and will definitely repurchase when I run out. If having the dolls aren't an attraction to you, I would recommend purchasing a tester online - those contain about 3.4 fluid ounces and usually run around $50, a great, great value considering the full retail prices of these fragrances.

Pamplemousse's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Hmm, tried this in Boots today, and didn't like it. Way too sweet, cloying, kind of fatty smelling, just too much. Smells like a dessert, an oversweet fruity yogurt or ice-cream, or marshmallows. Wanted to like it, but I find it just too sickly and for that reason too feminine. Heigh-ho, another one to strike off the list.

Brutus's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

Artisan is to my nose intensely floral throughout its duration, especially at its big opening, so much so as to veer right up to, and perhaps over, the tipping point into girlishness. It is touted as a wildly citric fragrance, though the sweetness it radiates reminds me less of a freshly broken orange rind than that of a basket of warm summer flowers, perhaps with a cut orange at the center. If this says anything, it immediately reminded me strongly of Clinique Happy and Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers; fragrances the girls in my family wore religiously several years ago, when they were still in middle school, and which I suppose for that reason I'll never be able to forget. Could a confident man pull this off in the proper circumstances? Sure. But a confident man could pull off almost any fragrance. As to those circumstances? I imagine a romantic summer dinner for two, in a restaurant on the beach.

Ultramagnus's avatar

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

As mentioned by Alekseyaronov this smells *very* similar to CK Eternity. I agree the dry downs are different but unfortunately, by then, both are barely perceptible on my skin.
    Still, a very pleasant, easy to wear scent.

Update Dec 2010 - am now of the opinion that it smells quite dated. Rating now changed to neutral.

24 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2010)

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I like L'eau d'Hiver - it's not love ...yet but I love the cool notes and the heliotrope. It's subtle and skin like. I even get a touch of salt in it. To me, it resembles Prada's Infusion d'Iris wihcih I love also . This is good alternative.

August 2011 -update.
    Trying L'eau d'Hiver from a measly 1 ml sample won't do this fragarnce any justice. It has to be sprayed healthily onto skin and inhaled throughout its development. It's beautiful and so I now LOVE L'eau d'Hiver with all my heart.

24 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2011)

pfefferzwerg's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

smartly hidden lavender,
    you don´t get the lavender immediately at the very first trying,
    nicely balanced woody and fougère composition after dry-down,
    not too sweet and long lasting during the day,
    one of my all-time-favourites

odysseusm's avatar

Cefiro by Floris

Starts with a green citrus blast. The various citrus notes all jumble together and get a bit dense and muddled. The scent gets too sweet, almost cloying. The wood notes do not develop. What we wind up with is a rather cheap and annoying musk – synthetic and unattractive. The talc in this scent is much better! It is lighter and the wood notes come through.

michailG's avatar

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

1725. The instant I smelled this and put it on I really liked it. The initial freshness of hesperides blended in with the liquorice and a powdery woody warmth swept me away.
    A hint of anise aroused my nostrils and the milkyness of almond wrapped the whole composition. Is there lavender? Somewhere there, yes, but it’s so delicate that I just notice it, instead vanilla is more prominent, both notes though are well balanced. Warm woods, citrus and herbal freshness, and a powdery, milky dry down! Mind you there is something that I find slightly irritating in the dry down; I wonder could it be amber? 1725 is strangely familiar but still extraordinary.

25 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2010)

qoo77's avatar

Singapore Singapore

L'Eau de L'Eau by Diptyque

I concur with scentsitivity's review, the spice is too overt in this one.

Settled down to a clove-cinnamon-Sprite kinda smell. Gave me a headache at the end of the day, that kinda happens when I don't like something. Thank gawd for samples!

Redbeard's avatar

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

Not so bad right in the top, actually similar to the top of the new Lanvin Vetiver. Soon becomes a chemical mess, though...REALLY bad. Hair spray, nail polish and/or remover...the smell of a busy beauty salon. By the base, there's no possible way anyone, man or woman, could want to smell like this. There's even some freshly molded plastic in there. I have no idea how they thought it would sell. And I don't like deeply colored juice either, but that's a separate issue.

Redbeard's avatar

JHL by Aramis

Boozy "old lady" perfume smell, really rich and opulent. After the amazing reviews, I was shocked how outmoded and out-of-place it smelled to me, how little I could identify with it. Similar to the cheapies Stetson, Chaps, and English Leather Musk which to me aren't the slightest bit masculine. The booze is appealing but the powder is out-of-control, with a heavy stifling sweetness. Without this, the underlying smooth wood would be along the lines of brands that I like. The base becomes less harsh and more cinnamon-centric, but by then I've given up.