Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Green Water by Jacques Fath

Sharp, citrusy, green, minty tonic mayhem. In a strange way it's cold and uninviting, and I suppose the word "formal" could be used. I just can't wear this type of thing. I need my fragrances to say, "come here and sit on lap, sugar drawers," because I'm not very friendly or social otherwise. It smells great, no doubt, and it's as fresh as anything. I've even gotten every drop of goodness out of my sample to enjoy.
    Still, I feel like I can't wear it out.

Hopefully I'll revisit this a few years down the road because it is lovely and my feelings towards it might change.

Did I just say "lovely?"

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I did a search on the full review page for "scratch," because I thought this smelled like "scratch-n-sniff" pickles, and lo and behold, someone else had the exact same thought. And yet this forces me to wonder, "what is everyone else here on about?" And I know my sample isn't bad because I got the same vibe over a year ago with a tester at Nordies. I can't give this a negative because it is intriguing, and it never gives of a "offensive" vibe, but if I'm going to wear something peculiar, you can be damn sure I'm going to need to like it a lot.

As for the "notes," Terre d'Hermes is supposed to contain grapefruit, orange, cedar, and vetiver, among other things, right? Well, they're very well blended I guess, because only if I really try to imagine those scents do I ever actually think I smell them.

I got a similar harsh, bitter green, "formal" vibe from Green Water, but that's done entirely correctly.

Worth1969's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

I echo the sentiments of many on this board. Puffy's juice is a
    cheap, watered down, synthetic version of Creed's Millesime Imperial. The reason Unforgiveable sells is that Creed is very exclusive and not sold in most stores. Probably 85-90% of the folks that buy Puffy's crap have no idea he ripped off MI and have probably never smelled it. After smelling MI and Unforgiveable side by side, the Unforgiveable smells like rotten fruit. "Unforgiveable", indeed!

Worth1969's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A modern soft, sensual fragrance. Opening is fresh with exotic spices, I also detect vanilla and tonka bean in the base. I personally prefer Must de Cartier pour homme to this, (a little bit fuller) but I certainly enjoy the compliments from women when I wear La Nuit. This is definitely suitable for romantic wear.

JonB's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

A big blast of lemon and grapefruit. Very nice; I like it a lot. Some think citrus-based frags are too simple, and yes they are simple, but what is more refreshing on a summer day. Big thumbs up.

MeryMer's avatar

Calypso Homme by Calypso Christiane Celle

This one is now a unisex and called Calypso Tangerine.

And that is what it is, simply Tangerine. It has a slight green undertone, but this disappears quite quickly. It is simple, non-complex, and very light. For the summer, I wouldn't complain about smelling like fresh tangerines, but the fragrance lasted less than 2 hours and is very light.

Someone who creates more lasting power and is looking for a fun and fresh summer sent may love it. It's not very expensive and would probably work wonderfully as a young person's first "fancy" perfume, but I didn't love it.

MeryMer's avatar

Bergamot Truffle by Inspirations by Payard

A gourmand fragrance with distinct notes of cocoa, vanilla, and citrus. It is unlike anything I have tried so far and very complex. It warms and changes and is very, very long lasting. I really wanted to LOVE this perfume, but I tend to make vanillas overly sweet and cloying.

On the right person, the scent may hit the right combination of bitter, warm, and floral-sweetness. On me it just became musky and powdery-sweet.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Thank god Creed still sells their good older-styled fragrances like Epicea and Bois du Portugal, because I've had enough of these silly "Millesime" scents. They all basically smell the same: take a heavily synthetic (I don't care what Creed says) semi-aquatic sports fragrance accord and bury it under a huge, pounding woody amber. Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperiale, Himalaya, and now Tabarome Millesime, are nothing more than slight variations on this same tired theme. Why would anyone want to own more than one of these things?

MY RATING: 4.5/10

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

For those who can't score a bottle of the vintage version of Givenchy Gentleman, this is a good alternative. The similarities are many and obvious: it's a very strong patchouli fragrance with a dirty, sweaty civet base. The only real difference I detect is that HOT Always is a bit rougher around the edges than Gentleman. Whereas Gentleman's patchouli and civet accord was seamless and smooth but spicy, HOT is rugged and the notes do not blend as seamlessly as in Gentleman.

Nonetheless, this is bold, daring stuff. You'll be pumping out major clouds of sillage all day with this if you apply liberally, and the smell will not go away. In spite of Bond No. 9's unisex image, HOT Always is a macho, almost brash, fragrance. It takes some guts to wear a fragrance with as much in your face patchouli as this.

I plan on getting a bottle of this as soon as my bottle of vintage Gentleman runs out. This is excellent stuff.

MY RATING: 8/10

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

What's with all the negative reviews? This is a fabulous fragrance! If someone asked me to describe this immediately, I'd describe it as Eucris on amphetamines. Basically it smells to me like a very dark green, almost charcoal gray, chypre with countless spice, pepper and wood notes providing a dazzling backdrop to the dark green base.

This is a VERY complex fragrance, so much that it risks spinning out of control into a pretentious mess, but it never does. All of these dry spicy and woody notes do come together and work in harmony, like an orchestra playing a dark Mahler funeral march. Although I agree that NRFH has an overall dark and brooding feel, the violet leaf, spice and woods give this fragrance real masculine bite, and it lifts it above being a depressing slog.

NRFH is definitely not for everyone, and it is FAR from being a typical mainstream masculine. This is probably part of the reason for all the negative reviews. I find it to be fascinating - a union of the traditional mossy masculine chypre with the modern spicy and woody masculine. This is an outstanding fragrance.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

The 21st Century's Poison? Ugh. I don't think so. BLACK ORCHID is probably the last fragrance I wish my date is wearing should we somehow get stuck in the same elevator. It is as dense as fog with a choking miasma of tropical flowers, overriped fruits and coconut cream. I wonder if every tropical-themed fragrance need to sport a coconut note - seems cliched to me. Besides, if a distinctive tropical floriental is what you're after, Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant is far less cumbersome and much more wearable.

Up close Black Orchid is tough on the nose though I thought the sillage is pretty good especially the chocolatey incense-patchouli accord. But the air around me soon thickens, and my vision starts to swim. Only then do I realise why they call this a dark fragrance...

Shifty Bat's avatar

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

I can't help but enjoy this . The unusual effect caused by replacing the conventional top fruit notes with their corresponding blossoms, compounded with clover and benzoin makes the whole composition feel smooth and round. There are several ingredients with which I am not familiar present, but the overall result is smooth, warm, and pleasant, like sun-struck marble. After the initial ten to fifteen minutes Ulysse is a skin-close, soft fragrance, but it suits me well and is a real mood lifter. If there existed a stronger concentrate it might have been one of my favorites.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Black No. 1581 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

Elixir Black smells nearly identical to John Varvatos. Whereas JV is almost nauseatingly sweet, EB is a touch spicier, but is thinner and doesn't last quite as long. I must say I was expecting more from a company which produced such fine shaving products, but I suppose it must have seemed like a failsafe idea at the time. It's inexpensive and really quite good, but if you own one don't buy the other.

Limony's avatar

Cuir by Lancôme

I too take the bus and felt the need of a 'polite' leather in my wardrobe. This is it. A bit dusty to start, lovely and soft in a gourmand way later on. Cuir de Lancome isn't earth shatteringly original but it works, with one foot in the past and another in the present.

MCTAKE5's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

No lengthy breakdown of Boucheron, frankly, it’s not necessary. Simply stated, an excellent cologne. Complements keep coming for this clasic fragrance. As with Jaipur, dry down is balanced with great projection. Boucheron is a must have for any man looking to stand out.

MCTAKE5's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

No lengthy breakdown of Jaipur, frankly, it’s not necessary. Simply stated, an excellent cologne. Complements keep coming for this timeless fragrance. As with Boucheron, dry down is balanced with great projection, longevity is outstanding. Both Edt and Edp are excellent, with only a few subtle differences. Jaipur is a must have for any man looking to stand out.

26 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2010)

Radabah's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Didn't care for it. Not as good a fragrance as the original and less staying power

Radabah's avatar

Moustache by Rochas

Ok fragrance, no staying power

manicboy's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

I can imagine the conversation between Hermes bigwigs and Ellena now, "Monsieur Ellena, we need you to redo Eau d'Orange Verte but only stronger and bolder." "Oui, I can do that." Comes back 15 minutes later, "I've completed it already."

Cd'OV is an above average EdC with a slightly different citrus opening than most with a heavy emphasis on orange rather than lemon or grapefruit. In fact, there is a lot of orange here so the bottle doesn't lie. No other frag captures the orange peel essence better than Cd'OV. For the verte, Ellena threw in the herbal accord of the great Live Jazz. Can't really say what the drydown is as it's gone in a few hours. I do get a touch of sweetness of tonka but that's about it.

While CD'OV is a worthy attempt at creating an EdC of a different nature, but there are better frags in this genre (Live Jazz). Ellena didn't put much effort into this one and it shows. But an off-day for Ellena is a very good day from most perfumers.

signature's avatar

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

Very Nice! Derring-Do seems to me a little like what would have happened if Jean Claude Ellena made Green Irish Tweed. This fragrance is very crisp, light and airy but not insubstantial. I concur with Primrose's review that this sent is safe yet I will add that it is not boring at all. You will want to wear this fragrance. I would suggest this scent for anyone that wants something fresh, casual, and different.

lespritz's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

All right, so this could easily be marketed as a shared(or even Women's) Fragrance. It smells clean and soapy, but has NO longevity at all. Sure if you smell your skin, you can slightly notice it, but no one will ever smell a cloud of it, even if you bathe in it. It's a good smell, but not worth the $ due to the poor longevity.

Caron33's avatar

Cristalle Eau Verte by Chanel

This fragrance was made with a deft hand. It's light, airy and fresh; effortless chic for summer. I love it!

michailG's avatar

Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums

Noir Patchouli starts indefinable for me. It’s sweet enough and pleasant enough but I am afraid I cannot fully appreciate it from the start. I get the spiciness and woodiness but on my skin it feels a bit soapy; luxurious but still soapy. As time passes Noir Patchouli mellows but remains indefinable… it could just be that I am not a patchouli guy. I am, however, a vetiver guy and the dry down of this offering from Histoires de Parfums includes some very agreeable notes such as vetiver, musc and vanilla … ok and leather. Luckily for me it is the delicate sharpness of vetiver that starts the pleasant twist into delight. The opening sweetness is subdued and the composition calms down into very lasting and pleasant warm and spicy woods, and even later into vanilla, resinous and leathery accords. This turns out to be as complex as most offerings from Histoires de Parfums; still perfumery of high finesse. I love the dry down!

27 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2010)

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Evening minuetto in a castle by the sea
    A jewel more radiant than the moon
    Lowered Her mask to me
    The sublimest creature the Gods, full of fire
    Would marvel at making their Queen
    Infusing the air with Her fragrant desire
    And my heart reeled with grave poetry....

Cradle of Filth

Yup, this one's a doosy. It's a dark, feminine rose that could technically be pulled off by a man for just one reason: it's very natural smelling. You know, it doesn't really smell like "perfume." In fact, it smells like a rose bush after a storm, which really makes me want to own this for the simple fact that I need a rainy day scent. I like it so damn much that I want to own and wear it. I just can't pull it off; I'm not that guy. It would be similar if I owned and wore angel because I like it: a foolish endeavor to say the least. Damnit damnit damnit, I really want this.

Oh well.

Lilybelle is spot on here. This certainly smells like "Red roses for the devil's whore." I covered that song with my band some years back, good times ;)

I'll certainly be pushing this on whoever has the misfortune of being my next woman.

So New York by Bond No. 9

I was pleasantly surprised by this offering from Bond No9 - I find the whole range seems to focus more on packaging and brand positioning and the juice is always okay, but boring.

This one actually gets the thumbs up from me because the fragrance does something clever. There's an old-fashioned, almost original formula Miss Dior hiding inside the thinned-out Angel. Fun!

Fashion Avenue by Bond No. 9

Really synthetic-smelling mimosa. Not unpleasant, but... really? Do people really pay for this? Try Mimosa pour Moi from L'Artisan or Summer by Kenzo.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

This is one of the better scents from Bond No9. If you like it and can afford it without going over budget, why not?

To my nose it's a somewhat thin, powdery gourmand/oriental with a nice, comforting warm aura. It reminds me of the kinds of scents you'd find in a luxury body cream.

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

If I smelled this on someone walking past I wouldn't consciously notice it as anything other than 'some generic after-shave'.

If you have a particular affection for Bond No9 as a brand, this is a pleasant scent from their collection. Otherwise, you can find more interesting fragrances for a lot less money.

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

For a less screeching version of this shampoo fragrance, try Lacoste for Her or D&G Light Blue.

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

The fruity note in the beginning creates an impression of wet tobacco, which quickly gives away to full-on, dry birch tar.

Interesting, very dry, quite overpowering, but could work for some.