Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Nukapai's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Tuberose is a love or hate scent for me. This one gets the thumbs down because it smells cheap, cloying and unrefined. This perfume is a crime against tuberose.

Montaigne by Caron

Beautiful ,beautiful ,beautiful ! Warm ,sweet, rich , long lasting ,creamy . I love the mimosa in this with the jasmine, vanilla combination. Smooth . Smells typically Caron. Classic .

Intrigant Patchouli 08 by Parfumerie Generale

I am not a lover of patchouli and even I can do this one ! Gone is the hippy heady patchouli and in its place is velvet smooth patchouli and amber . Quite warm and exotic. Long lasting as most patchouli scents seem to be .

Lakshmi by Ajne

An absolutely gorgeous complex fragrance that begins very orangey and then deepens with what I perceive as rose, cocoa, sandalwood ,lotus, ambrette and hints of orris. it is stunning .You must appreciate natural perfumery to love this.It is different from commerical perfumes. Not one drop of synthetics in it. I can use the names of the other Ajne fragrances to describe this one- sublime, divine,desire, joy,hope,eternal love.
    This is one of the most expensive pret a porter scents that Ajne does- no expense spared. Origainally created for a very ,dynamic lovely lady perfumista in New York who knows her perfumes and has great taste. I love this. All my yoga toes are tingling.

Sienna Musk by Sonoma Scent Studio

Oh My Word ,this is gorgeous stuff. Enigmatic ,bright, sniffable, ,sexy .Reaches into the subconcious and pulls out sensuality. Very clean , not very spicey to me- just a little zingy . If you love Silver Musk by Nasomatto - then you may well love this one. Very shiny clean smooth musk scent.

Nostalgie's avatar

Kenneth Cole New York Women by Kenneth Cole

Despite the black current and orange notes, I would call this a delicate, spicy, woody floral scent. It has the sweetness of all its white flowers, but no sugar. The first spray is quite strong and heady, so go lightly, but it softens over time and lasts forever. I especially like the way fruits are blended to add spice instead of syrup.If you do not like jasmine, don't go near it. But if you do, give it a try. A very pretty, blossomy, somewhat fragile, even melancholy scent that seems to be, and always to have been, under the radar.

msleslie's avatar

Nirmala by Molinard

I got a sample of this in a grab-bag of scents I had not heard of before and had no preconceptions. It struck me at first as cloyingly sweet but I kept going back to it, as there was something wonderfully irresistible about it. Today I received my full bottle, and it smells even better sprayed. I love this take on vanilla, it is very sensuous and comforting. I have not noticed a sweaty cumin note in Nirmala, but am always unhappy when I discover that note after I have bought a fragrance eg Guerlain Pampleune and Gucci EDP 2002. Nirmala is lovely and I am so glad to have discovered it by chance!

MeryMer's avatar

Iris Ganache by Guerlain

The first scent to come through was sugared flowers, think rock candy sweet. The over-sugary notes faded quickly and turned to a more creamy white chocolate sweetness, tons of floral, and banana candy. Disappointingly, the spicy notes never came through on me.

Finally, some powdery notes came through. In the end, I smelled like baby powder. Expensive baby powder laced with white chocolate and white flowers to be sure, but still not my cup of tea.

This one was too sweet, too white, and too powdery for my liking. However, on someone who brings out the spicy notes and mutes the sweetness, it may be delicious! Guerlain perfumes are beautiful and this would be a wonderful signature scent for the right person. It's just not me!

MeryMer's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I am in awe! This scent is just amazing, unique, and I actually love it.

At first, there is a distinct "plasticy" smell, but as soon as the perfume dries, it disappears. At first, the smell reminds me of my mom's purse when I was growing up. Leather, forgotten tubes of make-up, bits of paper, and of course, the floral of mom's perfume. Weird? Maybe, but beautiful!

The leather smells, soft, warm, well-warn, and subtle. On me, the leather begins to fade a bit and the scent becomes clean, soapy, and a bit masculine. Then, the floral begin to emerge. The floral is soft, sheer, and not sweetened at all. It smells like a floral should - warm, slightly green, and a wisp of the flower without the sugar.

I have to say, I am in love! Many perfumes turn on me and I bring out too much sweetness in most florals and vanillas. This was the first leather I have tried and I am impressed. The leather is subtle and earthy without smelling like a horse. The florals are green and light without being cloying. The more masculine, soapy notes actually work well on me. I will be buying a bottle of this!

's avatar

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent

Among those, for whom the pursuit of the now-obsolete olfactory treasures has become a source of constant fascination -- nay, dare I venture? -- obsession, the discovery of a still-boxed, fresh, full bottle of Jazz Prestige would be comparable to a car-boot-fare scenario, in which Steve Buscemi's 'Seymour' discovers a mint copy of an early John Coltrane album released on the original 'Prestige' record label.

Indeed, in Terry Zwigoff's remarkable, Ghost World (2001), we would see 'Seymour', the vintage-loving music collector, first admire the album's sleeve and 50s artwork; witness his thorough inspection of the disc for any scratches, etc., feeling the weight of 'old' vinyl as it slipped carefully from its inner, paper sleeve into his vigilant-yet-delicate grip and, finally, get to see him playing it on his old 'Hi-Fi' equipment. Escaping into 'the sound of the day', marveling at the 'sheets of sound' from Coltrane's tenor as captured by analogue -NOT digital - recording techniques. Buscemi's trademark over-crowded teeth breaking into an inexorable, easy grin to the infectious “swing” of the music.

Such is the quality of Jazz Prestige, a sadly discontinued bottle of pure “hard-bop” perfume, and a master class in olfactive intricate harmonies and delft key changes, that twists and turns just like Coltrane's solos, as the 'nose' in question threw everything but the proverbial “kitchen sink” into this creation and managed somehow to 'pull it off'. With engaging outcomes!

So, I cannot help imaging a film, an ‘alternate-universe’ Ghost World, in which the 'Seymour' character is like me and into perfumes. Buscemi's Seymour, with his fascination with all things lost, and disthymic, laconic tone would provide the perfect commentary on vintage scents!

For the benefit of the lost-yet-inquisitive 'Enid' (Thora Birch), after judiciously spraying 'Prestige onto both their wrists…

"You see...right off it’s citrusy and bright: “aromatic. green.”, and kinda deeply floral, oddly, with that heavy, ylang-ylang head note...and don't be fooled by the box, this is a unisex fragrance despite the 90s, bull***t, marketing-label crap. Yeah...here we go....this baby becomes an 'Oriental', smell all the pepper and spices?...but here....check this out now...yeah, you get the 'apples', but wait for the chypre notes...you dig the 'leather', right? That's genius; leather chypres were really cool in the 50s/60s because of a guy called 'Chant'...but here's the thing: this is no pure chypre either...tell me what you think in a couple of hours, when this dries down...you'll get a pure fougere...that's right, the coumarin-oakmoss- tonka bean vibe that made Paco Rabanne famous...only this is a thousand times better. Yeah, most numbskulls just know Paco and Drakkar, but to make an oriental-to-chypre-to-fougere that lasts...well, this is just… this is just pure class!

“No please, friend...take it: it's for you!"

For Andy

shamu1's avatar

Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Eau de Campagne may not be the most unique scent in the world - its basic structure is the traditional Eau de Cologne - but what sets it apart from the crowd is an intense greenness. This has leafy green and mossy notes in spades, and they last for the duration of the scent. This seems more like an EDT concentration, because I find it to be a lot stronger and longer lasting than most EDC's I've worn.

The one downside to EdC is personal and subjective - it just does not work on my skin for some reason. My wife used to wear this fragrance, and it smelled wonderful on her skin. Once it hits my skin however, it smells sour and lacks the sprightly green feel. It's like my skin sucks the life right out of this fragrance.

Personal issues aside, Eau de Campagne is a delightful and underrated fragrance. It's a must try for any fan of green smelling scents.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

blackdove's avatar

Si Lolita by Lolita Lempicka

I am utterly in love with this perfume. From the opening of lively pink peppercorn and bergamot all the way through the sweet pea centre to the final amber and tonka finish. I find on me that it has amazing staying power, I sprayed it at 7.30am this morning and I can still smell it now at 9.30pm! It has good sillage but not so much as to be over powering. I find it a sophisticated, charming scent suitable for everyday wear that is a delightful alternative to other daytime more floral fragrances, the very slight masculine edge to Si Lolita is what makes this possible!

pansylady's avatar

Eaudemoiselle by Givenchy

This fragrance definitely has an interesting rose-y vintage vibe in the early and mid phases- but strangely enough, it morphed into something citrus/green and modern a la Chanel Chance eau Fraiche in the bottom notes- I prefered the early and mid phases of this one.

27 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2010)

sydney's avatar

Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is pretty much what I wear day to day. Okay, so I understand that it's hard to capture what a thunderstorm really smells like.. It's different to everyone. But there is something about the earthy-ness and dirt to this that I just crave.

To me, it smells like wet earth, with sopping, down-trodden vegetation, and maybe a slight hint of ozone every now and them. The lasting power - amazing! I can put it on after a shower and still catch hints of it late in the evening.

Two thumbs up, if I could!

tsuzumi's avatar

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

I bought this one blind--it was a mistake. My first impression was pretty classy--I guess the top notes are good. As it began to dry down, I began to get a funky note that I also noticed in Xeryus Rouge. In the case of XR, I wondered if it was the cactus note that I didn't like. LHS has a similar funkiness. It is faintly sweet, but also kind of moldy or something. Difficult to describe, but it makes it unwearable. I have also noticed this same annoying note in Burberry London. (Maybe it's just my nose, I don't know.)

Gendarme V by Gendarme

To me this was all about biting into a green apple. Ultimately, this is not the kind of enjoyment I seek when wearing a fragrance. Civet in the note list of this? HA HA!! Quite a joke. This is all about smelling clean (and undaring) and therefore, for the ones who can't have a third or fourth shower during the day due to time constraints...

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I think I don't get this one. I am a big Serge Lutens fan, but Vetiver Oriental was one dull, undaring, interchangeable and generic smell on me. Left no impression!

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

Honestly, to me this smells like a total screw-up! How can you make real quality ingredients (which they claim to use) smell so bad. This reminds me of a specific chemical or medical solution that I can't name. I think I'm quoting Luca Turin, but yes, this is "no intentions". Little sillage and even less longevity - sounds like throwing lots of bucks out of the window if you ask me...

smartscent's avatar

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

I had high-hopes for this one, but can only think of one thing....hair-spray. It smelled great on the test strip, but sprayed some on myself, and all I get is the smell of hairspray from start to finish. I couldn't wait to wash this off as quickly as possible.

smartscent's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

On first test I did not particularly care for the mint top - it was rather overpowering, and reminded me of a candy cane at Christmas. Second time around I was more patient, and waited for the middle, and dry down - and was richly rewarded. This is a very sublime, smooth, and very classy scent...and, it is very unique, as I can't say I've smelled it on anyone else I know, and neither can I say that it is similar to another cologne that I own. You can also tell that this is made from top notch ingredients - no Cody colognes here! I do have some concerns regarding the longevity and sillage - and given the price, those do carry a lot of weight. After a couple of sprays the projection only appears to be about a couple of feet, but longevity has been exceptional going on 5 hours. Overall an excellent purchase, and will enter my regular rotation.

Diebuechse's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

The eagerly awaited decant vial arrived late Saturday afternoon. I opened it and applied just a tiny drop to each of my wrists. First whiff: naughty thoughts began to play in my head of digging out my little black book, calling up the virtuoso lover of my lifetime and suggesting he come over immediately for a tryst. I remember thinking I should try to locate some opium before he arrived. Strong stuff, I thought. Apply judiciously.

I decided my evening plans would include road-testing this fragrance in public while dancing the tango at a milonga. How better than with a dozen dance partners on a sweaty summer full moon night in the tropics? I took a long, cool bath, put up my hair, did my makeup, donned my dress and applied the perfume in earnest this time.

Instantly, a movie began in my head. The first whiff was vaguely automotive – a quick petrol stop at twilight in a roadster with leather upholstery and a wood dashboard. I glimpsed my own face in the rearview mirror and saw I bore a striking resemblance to Faye Dunaway in “Chinatown.” I wore a thin, champagne-colored silk charmeuse blouse sans bra, wide-legged trousers and trailed fox furs. I called at the penthouse suite of an aging yet still dangerously handsome actor. His butler showed me past tall vases of white flowers in the foyer into the wood paneled library where the actor sat waiting for me in a leather chair by the fireplace, smoking a cigarette. Perhaps he was some kind of Eastern religious cultist; I detected the smell of incense there. He rose and tried to kiss me on the mouth. I wrenched away, secretly flattered and not a little curious about what it would be like to kiss him. I had him sign the papers I carried in my Hermès satchel with the fountain pen on his desk. He offered cocktails. I declined.

In real life, I was by then arriving at the milonga. The perfume continued to develop and unfold like a story. I saw my regular tango partner sitting at a table with two other gentlemen; they rose as I approached. The white flowers were at that moment coming on: tuberose, carnation. The men told me I smelled ravishing. The dancing began and I was swept into the close embrace of a succession of partners. I perspired. The perfume only gained potency from my body’s heat.

And then, in the second or third hour, the dark flowers came on. At this stage the iris nearly closed up my regular tango partner’s throat and nose and his eyes burned. The movie in my head changed: now the handsome actor was some kind of fetishist and I was Belle de Jour, lying in a coffin naked except for a chiffon shroud, eyes closed, pretending to be dead while he practiced some secret perversity. The scent had gone all purple: regal, funeral, decadent. But not sad.

In deference to my favorite partner’s allergy to the perfume, I went to the ladies’ room and bathed the nape of my neck and my throat in cold water. The perfume persisted, mutating. And as it dried again, the movie changed. Vanilla, clove, church incense, books – the library again. Hard liquor. I smelled the interior of the roadster. I craved a cigarette. Only then did I begin to smell the powder, and it was face powder and incense that finished the fragrance story to my nose.

I did not shower before falling exhausted into bed. The perfume gave me dreams. When I awoke, the sun was blazing. I sniffed my wrists. What was then left of Tabac Blond on my skin was what I’d smelled when opening the fitted drawers of the 13,000 Euro antique Louis Vuitton trunk I could not possibly have bought, but coveted, last year in Paris.

As to Tabac Blond being thought dyke-y by some: I think it’s possible it might have emboldened some already curious Vassar heiress to make out with a glamorous, worldly older woman in the ladies’ room of a Monte Carlo casino or a glittering nightspot decades ago. Particularly if the woman wearing it were, for instance, Marlene Dietrich. If it’s a fragrance deemed equally suitable for men, I have not yet met the man who could carry it off during the flower passages. It seemed estrogen-loaded to me then. The evening after the milonga at which I’d tried it out my regular tango partner told me no man could keep his eyes off my derrière. And I know it wasn’t the dress I wore, but the perfume. Perhaps Tabac Blond is suitable for both genders because the story it tells is of a meeting. Whether that’s the masculine/feminine duality of one individual nature or a rendez-vous between a man and a woman, I cannot say. But to me, this fragrance is never androgynous.

This one, I think, is a monster worthy of its notoriety. It tells a story that keeps unfolding for the better part of a day, like an acid trip. Timing must be everything in deciding when to apply it, since it will play out in its own time. On me, it’s often a tigress. I will admit to feeling at some times during its unfolding that it wore me, not that I wore it – but in much the same way I’d feel if draped in exquisite sable furs from head to toe. I was just its model, but I can’t complain. I think Tabac Blond must be what Daphne Du Maurier imagined Rebecca smelling of as she ordered those transparent undergarments of hers from the nuns. Memorable, seductive, strong. C’est plus fort que moi.

AppleNerd's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Chrome by Azzaro

Off-Scenter's review is spot-on. Smells like the dial bar soaps from when I was a kid back in 2000. It's boring, bland, and too harsh. Not worth a try.

Save yourself the cash and buy the dial bar soap, but don't rinse yourself off completely after a shower. You can then message me so I can give you my address so you can send me the remainder of the money you saved by not buying this EdT.

27 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2010)

msn127's avatar

India India

Ungaro III by Ungaro

just got my bottle.. first of all the bottle is purely class..plain yet has a presence on your cabinet...frag.. is great for initial impression.. with the infamous dark rose note lurking in the back and comin out in whiffs here and there...ll post more after i wear it enough.. for now .. a great blind buy for me!!!!!!

Brut by Fabergé

A classic. My dad used, uncles used it, I know this because i can smell it when im in the same room with them. It projects well and and amazing silage.

I never wore this growing up or even after highschool into uni. However, after looking for razors in my dads bathroom i cam across some brut aftershave and gave it a smell. I fell in love with the lavender and oakmoss smell. I went out and bought the cologne version for pretty cheap at my local chemist. I wear it after a shower when im at home just for personal pleasure and when im out playing poker with my mates. Its a manly smell which I just can't get enough of.

cK be by Calvin Klein

I got this as a gift. I tried it and almost instantly i thought "is this for guys". It's unisex. I gave it two stars out of five because it smells cheap, overly floral for a guy to wear and not very complex. I gave this to my brother. Nice looking bottle though. I could see myself using it as an air freshener (which it really does smell like) but never again as a scent for me. There are far better floral and green scents out there. This is just too simple and floral for my personal tastes.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Firstly, I bought this out of pure curiosity after watching the now famous viral Old Spice commercials featuring Isiah Mustafa. I guess I was just blown away by the ad and its promise of masculinity in a bottle that i just had to get a bottle. So I did. First impression, It smells like a spicy version of musk candy. Which I think is amazing. I probably wont wear it out much but i wear it after every shower for personal pleasure. It smells so warm and manly. I've worn it to work a few times just for a bit of variety and experimentation. It seems pretty long lasting. I wear it the night before after I shower and can smell it the next morning.

I think I will be buying this for the rest of my adult life. Btw..im 22.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I got this in the gift set, Shower gel, aftershave balm and fragrance.

I opened the cool looking black box which looked pricier than its worth. I took the bottle (great bottle, heavy and masculine) and sprayed it on my wrist. It blew my mind, i was expecting a heavy, masculine smell but what I got was a fruity, sweet, bubblegum like scent. And you know what? I loved it. I walked out of my room and went to my brother and said "smell this". He like it too. It is such a distinctive smell. My friend wore it after getting it from his brother as a gift. I smelled it while we were in the car and knew what it was instantly. He was surprised when I guessed it but truly, it is very distinctive.

I use it when i go clubbing, its a sexy smell which is inoffensive. I've worn it on a date and got compliments for it. I said it was Paco Rabanne Black XS with pride.

As for longevity..I woke up after a night of clubbing and i could still smell it on my chest and wrist (10+ hours).

I will be buying a bottle of this when I run out.

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

I got this first as a sample from Myer's. Great bottle, very rugged, masculine. The scent itself if very inoffensive, top notes are nice but I found that the spicy coriander note is the most surprising and most fascinating part of the fragrance. I loved the smell of it, very masculine yet subtle. The mate and amber drydown is nice but like I said before, it plays close to the skin. Not that it matters really, i re-apply after 4-5 hrs, but just one or two sprays.

It projects really well for the first 2-3 hours then plays close to the skin. All seasons use. Taking my small 40ml bottle with me to India on holiday because it suits the jungle. I also own the 125ml which i got for a good price (Gift pack with aftershave-125ml).

27 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2010)

Custo Man by Custo Barcelona

Great green fragrance. The lemon in this is done beautifully and smells extremely natural. I thought it was lime at first, that is what attracted me to it.

Its clean and fresh and once the middle notes and base notes appear it becomes a very unique citrus/pepper/musk blend which smells amazing.

I would use this for daytime functions like bbq's, the beach, uni, house party's etc.
    I wouldn't use it for winter, clubbing or on dates though as its not exactly a seductive smell.

I would buy this again, also, i doubt many have heard of it which is a good thing!, they sell it exclusively at the Perfume connection so im happy its somewhat unique.

miriel's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Elegance!! Beautiful, sweet parfum. Absolutely delicious, sexy and sensual! I think my favorite poison. And the elixir bottle is just gorgeous and vintage.