Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

cedriceccentric's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Total deception.
    "Sporty" grapefruit meets classic Allure accord with plastic patchouli drydown.
    I'll put Bleu with the more recent generic Chanels: Chance Eau Tendre and Eau Fraiche variations aimed for a less tradional Chanel customer.

CoL's avatar

Dalistyle by Salvador Dali

First sprayed this and thought, "Oh that's lovely!" and it reminded me strongly of something else. Something "fresh" and transparent with a touch of fruit. It's RL Polo Sport for women! I adore that too. Not sure if PS is still inproduction or if you are looking for a cheaper alternative I highly recomend this! Far from original but very well done!

lauermar's avatar

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

I used to wear Charlie as a teen, then didn't wear it for decades. I tried wearing it again in my 30s and 40s and gave up, thinking it was overpowering. Now I'm in my 50s, and tried it again just yesterday. Now it's a green floral with a powdery drydown that is refreshing and different in this age of fruity gourmands. Time changes my perspective of certain perfumes.

Heidi's avatar

Iceberg The Fragrance for Men by Iceberg

where is Iceberg The Fragrance for women?? I own this, so it does excist!

Heidi's avatar

Eaudemoiselle by Givenchy

If I make my pick of the day, this comes out quite often. Why? Because it's different than all the others. This one dares to be seductive and fresh at the same time, and it works! I love the citrus combines with musk and roses. This is a scent you can wear as well in summer as in winter.

cheryl's avatar

Robe d'Un Soir (original) by Carven

I'm not sure if I am sampling the newer or older version, but the bottle looks old. This opens with light-hearted perfumey aldehydes and is a light but very nicely balanced floral..maybe hyacinth? lilac? There is a whisper of slightly edible mandarin. Then delicious cream. It is a rich scent...but it seems to want to convey "spring morning elegance". The blending is beautiful...I'm impressed.

cheryl's avatar

Fendi (original) by Fendi

I'm not sure if I am reviewing the right Fendi. On my skin it is a honey/incense/leather/powder....no floral at all. I find it strangely just right as well (other reviewers have said this). It's addictive and classy, strong, but in a quiet engine kind of way. I love the dryness of it.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

This must be a fairly Iris dominated scent because it does bare similarities to Dior Homme, although it seems a tad more masculine which brings me to my next comparison: Armani Code. Actually I'm not all that sure about that one because it's been quite a while since I tried the Code. Still though, after looking at the pyramid I'm figuring that maybe it's the Tonka Bean that's evoking such comparisons in my mind. Come to think of it, Iris and Tonka are the only things I'm getting from this, which means that all of those other notes are playing "supporting cast" in the background.

The bottom line is that it's light, sweet, pleasant, moderately fresh, and totally inoffensive. It doesn't have any "snuggle up" appeal, which is what I'm calling the desire to just keep smelling something.

And that's, "all you need to know."

!___!'s avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Every time I wear it I get into depression.
    I have it for two years and I hardly wear it 5 times.
    Smells like white dead-nettle.

!___!'s avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Very pleasant fragrance. Incredible lasting power.
    I agree with GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR, get many compliments when i wear it.

(Have it for 2 months)

nemertini's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

V by Gloria Vanderbilt

This fragrance smells like apricots, sweet and feminine. Nice for autumn and winter.

Brit by Burberry

Couldn't be lovelier. It is sparkling in honey and gold. Brit deserves its well-earned popularity and fame, and would be an asset to any ravishing woman's well-rounded perfume collection.

Brit gets particularly immaculate in winter.

Antaeus by Chanel

He is a handsome handsome gent; sharp in his tux, ready to charm the night and seduce the room. He knows how to allure and when to make his kill. This juice has so much inherent and captivating personality.

Chanel Antaeus deserves and demands the respect that is rightfully his.

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

It is sexy and youthful. Could be far far far more than what it is.

btw, the tackiest bottle known to man...

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Among the best modern mainstream floral creations out there. It is obviously worked to perfection before the creators put their final stamp of approval, and it does make the exact statement that it intends to, right away when it touches a woman's naked skin: the feminine elegance embodied in every right way possible.

Rose Essentielle is a must for everyone who loves to pursue everything that a modern floral has to offer. It has an innocence, a sex appeal, a polished identity and an unquestionable elegance.

It is just so beautiful.

Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari

There isn't one even bland Omnia creation, and this one is just another look to perfection. So beautifully crafted in every single way. Bulgari has one of the most impressive scent portfolio, and the sparkling and subtle quality of their feminine editions particularly deserves a lot of praise. Crystalline is a beautiful girl, full of life but also slightly elusive at times. There is something polite and well-mannered about her, but also something a bit un-bridled and ethereal. She is a wild child maybe, but she knows that she has a box of priceless Bulgari diamonds waiting for her in her room, whenever she feels like reaching for them.

This is a perfume while wearing a woman should fall in love with someone. It is the kind of perfume that should create and paint significant moments in life.

It is that precious.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Beyond pretty. So lush and luscious. Just lovely in its optimism. Daisy is just so lovely.

A wonderful creation that has an illuminated youthfulness pouring out of it.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Well, it ain't great!

The name is 'Guerlain Homme'. It kind of saddens me that Guerlain wasted a colossal and ever-lasting name with this creation, since if this is to be the ultimate 'homme' creation by Guerlain in the 21st Century, needless to say things aren't looking that good for the future of the company...

Nothing here suits Guerlain, Not even the bottle, and we should at least be able to count on Guerlain to supply a chic bottle that sits pretty on your shelf. 'Underwhelming' is the word that seems to be most befitting. The notes or the composition here aren't too anything to write about, really.

Where is the creative mentality and rightful pride that had created a diamond like Shalimar?

Lola by Marc Jacobs

Ehhh... it is just OK, for whatever it is.

It is very run-of-the-mill. The type of scent that will entice its consumer for two years at most. Nothing original, nothing even that likable actually. Now, 'Daisy' could maybe be the prettiest thing ever created. It will always have a special place in people's hearts. This one is not even in the same time zone though. Lola could have easily been a celebrity scent, which is a huge insult I always think. It is also very very 'big' in its volume.

There is nothing wrong with owning one or two good bottles of fruity-florals. They are un-apologetically vivid, feminine and optimistic scents after all, and do complete an estrogen-induced perfume collection. But when there are so many genuinely beautiful creations out there, nobody should find themselves settling into something this banal.

btw, good God, what a hideous bottle beyond comprehension! I mean if ugliness were a measure, the flower cap alone would re-formulate the whole metric system.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Is it just me or does anyone else realizes that Live Jazz & Image by Cerruti are almost identical? Is it maybe the mint opening they both share? I think so! What Image has going on is a beautiful mint/pear opening that is so fresh, so crisp, so clean & out of the shower, while Live Jazz is fresh & clean but thats where it ends as far as the opening goes.. Live Jazz does not have that fruit opening to give it that nice crisp edge but this is not a bad thing! As the scent progresses I still smell the mint along with some form of dusty lemon trailing the woods & vanilla base. I really like Live Jazz as Yves Saint Laurent makes great frags.. But for me this seems to be lacking longevity. I can smell it on me about 4 hours.. I would have to spray my shirt to get a longer scent life, over all I dont think its better than Image when it comes to the opening or the longevity... However, I will still enjoy this as it is well done!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

This is a very nice frag.. From start its a burst of tea & fig! Thats all I really smell! This is by no means a bad thing, the fig is there from start to finish. As it dries down it becomes a lingering sweet scent with a fade of the tea lurking in the background. It last approximately 4 hours on me @ most.. If your spray on you shirt, you will smell it all day. 1 of the better tea offerings from Bulgari! Nice scent I give it 7.5/10

JonB's avatar

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

I must not be smelling the same thing as many of you; all I can say is "YUCK". This is right up there with the worst fragrance s I've ever smelled. I hope I never have to smell this again. Big, big thumbs down on LP.no9.

msleslie's avatar

Coco by Chanel

I began my perfumista journey 2 years ago and have spent a lot of money on hundreds of samples, and had a wonderful time exploring and learning and reveling. Imagine my surprise at having Coco end up being my all time favorite? To me it is the most beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful smell in the whole world, ever and always. Amen.

shamu1's avatar

Devin by Aramis

This is an amazing fragrance, particularly for a fan like me of French-styled classic fragrances. Because Aramis is an American company, I can sort of understand why they marketed this as "Country Cologne" back in the 70s, but in reality that's a pretty silly label for this.

Devin in reality is Aramis' take on the classic French green chypres, and it hits a grand slam with it. Devin is a very green, bitter chypre in the style of Cristalle, Givenchy III and Diorella. I adore those fragrances, and I adore Devin. What I love most about Devin is how it sustains the greenness throughout its duration - oakmoss is the real core of this scent, and all the other notes seem to wrap themselves around its green bitterness. There is also a very subtle brownish, earthy note underlying the fragrance, which adds to its overall very natural feel. Longevity and sillage are also superb.

I can't say enough great things about Devin. The only thing I have left to say is that I must own a bottle of this. Soon.

MY RATING: 9/10

onceling's avatar

Notorious by Ralph Lauren

On my skin this smells like mothballs, cleaning product and a faint whiff of Arden's 80's powerhouse-ness then fades away. There is a close-to-skin remnant an hour later but barely. I feel this needs more mature skin than mine.

For me, sillage was non-existent and poor longevity.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

$ by D.S. & Durga

I recall a thread discussing fragrances that smell of crisp dollar notes; Wall Street by Bond No.9 was one of the candidates as I recall. Now add $ by D.S. & DURGA.

Although $ has a distinct floral leathery tone about it, I'd hesitate to call it a floral leather. Nor do I find any tuberose despite what the official list claims. Whatever flower it is supposed to be, it had been stripped down to its very bare essence until its identity is no longer recognisable. This floral essence is cleverly woven around what I perceive to be styrax, with white musk giving it some lift before tonka rounds it off smoothly in the base.

$ wears rather elegantly, a masculine leathery musk of distinction with a passing resemblance to the edgy-but-uppity Creed's Cuir de Russie. It does smell like a cool wad of crisp hundred dollar bills.

My only regret? Not buying more of this high quality stuff when it was available at a hefty discount. D.S. & Durga may have taken some risks with some of their creations but this release is definitely right on the money!

greyhoundgirl's avatar

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

I envisioned a holiday-type scent, vibrant and sparkling, but all I can get out of this concoction is patchouli (which I abhor) and so this is a scrubber for me as well.

m.francisco's avatar

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

At first, this smelled just like a cleaning product to me. Then it faded away into yet another generic citrus scent. Bland and uninspired, and yet another failure from Burberry.

The Funktopus's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Definitely the best designer sport fragrance out there. Allure Sport has a bit of depth that is missing in any other designer sport fragrance I've tried. Comes off as a creamy citrus on my skin. I find it to be wearable just about any time of the year and a perfect signature scent. Ladies absolutely love it. Surprising sillage and longevity for a sport fragrance. Safe and by no means groundbreaking, but in my opinion, clearly the best in it's genre.

The Funktopus's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Really amazing scent, extremely pleasant. Smells to me like a Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks. I can't see anybody ever being offended by this fragrance.

That being said, HUGE dissappointment as far as sillage and longevity goes. This will stay close to the skin and hardly last a couple hours. One of the shortest lasting fragrances I've ever tried but one of my favorite scents. Really a shame.