Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

alberto's avatar

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

I have many plants of helichrysum (or immortelle) in my garden and I really love its smell. The “guru” Luca Turin decribes its scent «odd, fenugreek-like... halfway between curry and burnt sugar». I always read great things obout Eau Noire and I know that maybe it’s one of the best fragrances based on this note. I also know that EN is beloved by many perfume fanatics. Unfortunately, after several tests, I have to admit that I can’t like it. In fact, I finally realized that it’s too strong, too intense, rather overwelming on my skin. (I had the same experience with other helichrysum-based perfumes, e.g. Annick Goutal Sables, Guerlain Cologne du 68, Histoires de Parfums 1740-Marquis de sade). I still love the natural, summer, mediterranean smell of Immortelle, but I am more and more convinced that is a scent very difficult to wear.

cathodera's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

My skin chemistry, always unpredictable and capricious, has changed so much that I've learned to be very cautious about re-discovering scents I haven't worn since 1967.

So I was delighted to find that Beauty Encounter would, for $25, send me a little 5-pack, with parfum, EDP, EDT, and a couple of the variants.

It was with great hope but also trepidation that I dabbed on a few drops of the EDP. Would it smell awful on me now? Or smell great and disappear in 20 minutes?

Fresh from similar disappointments at other Fragrance Reunions, I held my breath for a second, then realized that holding one's breath is probably not the best strategy for assessing the reaction of a perfume to how kind or cruel the years have been to that complex, ever-evolving biochemical Party In My Epidermis.

I inhaled. "You haven't changed a bit!" gushed No 5. What a relief! I was able to return the compliment sincerely.

The evening was warm, and I just sat and let it continue to look at me for a while. It walked around in a circle, looking thoughtful, a finger on one cheek.

"Actually," it purred, "You are even more fabulous than ever!"

I sniffed. This was true! The aldehydes that some of the young folks perecive as being "old lady," or "chemical," had rushed in, exclaimed a hurried greeting, and dashed off to confuse the neighbor's plump Fluff-Cat, enjoying its nightly role in the tangled pile of catmint we let spread out between a couple of spindly "show roses" specifically for its amusement.

Almost immediately, something citrusy - neroli, maybe? - emitted a brief fanfare then stepped aside, and to my surprise, ylang-ylang glided in, one delicate hand draped across the arm of a handsome sandalwood escort.

"Yes," they nodded to me, then to each other, and then to the air, "we're going steady!"

After they had waltzed around for about an hour, sandalwood stepped away to get ylang-ylang some punch, and she leaned over, and whispered to me from behind her fluttering fan, "it's serious."

Sure enough, sandalwood returned with the punch, and playfully tossed a cupful into my face. "The same jasmine as always," sandalwood called over his shoulder, as he danced away with ylang-ylang.

As they came back around, flushed and laughing, ylang-ylang fluttered her fan again. "You know he spiked it," she confided. "Yeah, with that baby vetiver," I retorted, drawing in a long slow breath, to catch a here-now-gone-now whiff of it.

"But you love it anyway," sandalwood winked, and he and his new girlfriend settled down beside me, in a rustle of taffeta, to enjoy the rest of the evening, now and then refilling our punch cups and flicking droplets out into the night, to the delight of the aldehyde-addled Fluff-Cat, who was as enchanted as we all were by the gentle fireflies of something mysterious from a summer garden that twinkled like stars around us.

's avatar

Ciel Man by Amouage

6 negative votes? Really?

The only frustration I have with the Amouage line -- apart from the yucky Epic duo -- is that a few totally unisex wonders are market to either men or women.
    Ciel Men is one of these. (Lyric Women is another.)
    Anyway, this is a soapy, sandlawood-y, creamy Oriental of the best possible quality. If Czech & Speake 88 is very good, this one is off the charts.
    I can't really add descriptive stuff to this bunch of reviews, but I do hope I can convince some other women to take and interest in this very fine, plush, warm, and clean scent.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

This fragrance is in fact dad to Azaro PH, YSL Kouros, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Versace L'homme. Great classic with nice longevity and projection.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne

This scent reminds me greatly of Givenchy Very Irresistible For men + less heavy A*men. In fact, not really a bad scent, but then again not something I'd pursue. I'm not saying this is not worth pursuing in general, though.

hagertygal's avatar

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

OK, so my mom gave me a gift card for 25 bucks to Marshalls. I recently got a promotion at work, and will be transferring to another store, so I wanted to treat myself to a new "office scent." I had been used to BIG fragrances, but a lot of my previous co-workers often told me I seemed too tiny for such big scents (I am 5'4" and 105 pounds.) I came across this scent, and it was only 19.99 for a big 4.2 ounce bottle of the EDP. I know a lot of times discount stores end up carrying the bulk of the "failed" fragrances, but I had remembered all the ads for this one, and figured it would be a safe chance to take. I bought it unsniffed, since it was in one of those tamper-proof plastic cases.

At first sniff, I was a bit let down. I was thinking this was going to be less "girly," and more of a clean scent similar to that of Chanel No.5. I got lots of tuberse, lilac and sort of a gardenia. When I read what folks had to say about it though, it seemed like maybe I should give it a fair chance. I sprayed this before heading out to work today....good three to four pumps on my clothing. Well, for eight hours (and counting) I can still catch a slight whiff of it on myself when I move about. It is still a bit more floral than I hoped it would be, but it is somewhat comforting and pleasant. My husband says it smells nice, and my co-workers joked around that I smelled "approachable." It has good staying power.

In fact, I made an impulse decision before leaving work for the night to return to the store I bought it at.....and I got another bottle of it. It is stashed away in my drawer, and even though I might take six months to finish the one I already opened, there is another one ready on hand when it is empty. I think it is the best 19.99 I have spent in a long time.

Endless79's avatar

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

This is the only Bond I've purchased, and it came after a day of sampling many things. My arms were covered with various scents, but I kept coming back to this one, which is not a surprising being a patchouli lover. It outdid all the rest, including some pretty nice Guerlains. To me this shares many things with PG's Intrigant Patchouli, another favorite of mine, but there are a few differences. I still get the floral-patchouli-civet combination that is present in IP, but HOT Always buzzes more, I'm guessing thanks to the cinnamon. I can't help but describe it as "orange", something that really it "hot" instead of the dark curvaceousness of IP. It lasts quite a while on me, and days if sprayed on clothing. It's all about patchouli to me, and I've been hunting for a good one for quite some time. I like that it's not paired with cedar, chocolate, powder, or some other note to help take the edge off. It's hard to say why a bottle of this landed on my shelf instead of some of the many others like L'Artisan's, Mazzolari's, or Montale's, but so it did.

BayKAT's avatar

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi

Of my three Villoresi samples I saved this one for last, because my 'sniff test' (a dab on the back of the finger) told me this was the best.

If you put bergamot and galbanum in the opening i'm going to like it, and this opens with a big 'wow' for me. However...

When i put it on my decollete and took it for a hike it deteriorated, and quickly, into a hyper sweet mess. This definitey comes down to skin chemistry.

For me, the only house that can put tolu balsam and opoponax (and benzoin a to boot) in the base and still make it wearable is Guerlain. In the hands of anyone else this turns into a flat out mess on me.

How much of a mess? Succinctly: on my hike I preferred my own sweaty smell to this.

With my chemistry this would have popped had the base been kept dry and resinous. Incense should never play second fiddle to sweet myrrh and friends. It was the base that ruined it for me; the opening was wonderful.

Brumes by Le Galion

Brumes is a classic and beautiful spiced ambery floral, in the same vein as Vol de Nuit, Caron En avion, Coty A Suma and many others. Witness of another era...

Jasmin by Le Galion

An amazing jasmine, Le Galion Jasmin is as deep and rich as Coty Jasmin de Corse, but more bright , white and indolic and joyful in the basenotes. A pure jasmine of the 30's. Today, there is only Lutens A la nuit, that can be compared to this one in terms of strengh.

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Awfully bad, the quintessence of the drugstore frag. Cheap, ordinary, a soapy fern as there are thousand others... And I am a Piguet fan!...

Snob by Le Galion

Another Joy, very beautiful, and without the animalic notes that you can find in Joy extract. You can compare it also to Guerlain Ode.

lauraschoice's avatar

Murasaki by Shiseido

This fragrance is gorgeous beyond words. But I'll try. Sophisticated, sensual, beautiful, timeless, exotic, elegant. It makes me think of nightclubs and silk evening gowns. Far and away my favorite, it lasts all day and I can't stop myself inhaling it every few minutes. The EDP is still available from online vendors so seek it out; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

sgmg10's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I read and saw vey positive reviews so when guerlain shop at palazzo the lady said you cant spray it only smell the cap ok hmm smell fresh at first so i bought it then when home so excited spray it on wow what an awful smell pine neddles and lime and lavender i have a headache now the worst smell ever cant get the smell of me
    just wasted $ 100 on this might as well buy a royal pine tree little airfresher smells the same for only 2.49 a pack sorry guys for the bad review i will stick to tom ford tobacco vanille and tom ford by tom ford.

beauregard's avatar

Vacances by Jean Patou

This is one of the greatest perfumes -- EVER! If ever you wanted to go on vacation and don't have a sou to your name, buy whatever you can-- buy now -- it is discontinued. It is the greenest of greens. Freshly cut lawn with the lilacs growing behind. Sheer garden majesty! If ever I were on a deserted isle I would want this fragrance.I see it going for ridiculous prices on the net but believe me it is worth it!

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I'm not usually a fan of sweet scents but this one was balanced with just the right amount of bitterness, making it not overwhelmingly sticky/nauseating. It is a tasty wintry treat of a scent, at least in the beginning. However, I find this scent to fade in an unpleasant way. Once the bitter almond fades, what is left is an overly sticky, vanilla-y mess.

Love the beginning, hate the end.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

This is the first fragrance I've ever owned and I still love it.

Deep and sensual, yet somewhat offbeat. I thinks its sensuality to warmth of its amber notes and musk, whilst lurking beneath its spicy floral explosiveness, there is another "synthetic" scent that keeps you guessing. Definitely a scent to intrigue. Not for the faint-hearted.

D&G La Lune 18 by Dolce & Gabbana

Clean and delicate - it reminds me of a crisp white shirt tossed into a flower bed.

A very light fragrance with just the right amount of floral - nothing explosive here. As I see it, what the fragrance lacks in uniqueness, it makes up for in agreeableness. A satisfying everyday scent.

It would be a thumbs up, save for its major downfall - I just wish this fragrance had decent staying ability.

nattonline's avatar

Bongo for Men by Iconix

Very nice fresh grapefruit attack at the beginning then turns to something that smells like a fresh hay stack. Odd but it works for what it is.

03 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 July, 2010)

thermopyl's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Nice opening notes - blend of citrus and cream.
    The dry down is a disappointment and fades away with little sillage for me.
    If you like this, but want more longevity and punch, go for Versace Dreamer!

Heartwood's avatar

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

(Vintage edt) LOVE the blast of neroli in the opening! DON'T love the sweet violet that arrives later. I really dislike violet in fragrances (and those violet candies-- nasty!), so I must with regret report that this one gets a thumbs down from me despite all the yummy leather and green notes that I'd otherwise find heavenly.

Heartwood's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

(Sampling vintage edt) I find this to be a very lovely green chypre with a fruity sweet streak throughout that makes it approachable and easy to wear. It doesn't get too stuffy with the mossy notes. An old-time chypre that's quite casual and versatile, which is a rare thing, imo. Also, one of those curious fragrances that has good sillage, but seems to disappear when nose goes to skin.

Cefiro by Floris

While this isn’t the worst attempt at citrus I have tried, it is singularly the most stuffy citrus scent I can remember. It is the antithesis of anything I would want in a citrus fragrance. To a degree it baffles me, so I give it a neutral rating: maybe I would like it on someone else.

Night Scented Jasmine by Floris

A mix of green and white floral notes, mildly indolic on the top and less so as it dries down. I am sure I would enjoy this on a lady. Notes, per the Floris website:

Top notes: citrus, green, mandarin, neroli, violet leaf
    Heart notes: gardenia, iris, jasmine, lily, mimosa, narcissus, rose, ylang ylang
    Base notes: amber, musky, sandalwood, vetiver

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I get the cinnamon candy accord here: I don’t like it on myself and can’t imagine liking it on anyone else.

Visit by Azzaro

I'm a big fan og Gucci Pour Homme (I) so was keen to try this as GpH is sometimes a hrad find and many reviews say Visit resembles it to an extent.

But Visit is not a terribly nice scent IMO.

I get the same pencil shavings notes but in this instance the bulk of that note comes from a pencil lead smell rather than a nice woody smell.

I smell a lot of nutmeg, clove and bergamot in Visit. Whether they are listed or not that's what I smell.

Visit reminds me of the dreadful Burberry Beat and less dreadful Burberry Touch.

It's not a bad scent as such - I just don't like the notes that I smelt as being the most prominent.

Not even close to the fabulous GpH!

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Lovely scent.

Vanilla, sandalwood and orange. Quite linear. A little bit feminine but that doesn't bother me.

Not a warm weather fragrance. Good for the autumn.

It's a favourite of mine but I don't wear it often.

Good longevity with pretty good projection. I get a fair few complements when I wear this - ladies especially seem to like it.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

OMG.

This is awful.

A foul, over powering and head-ache inducing smell.

When I was 10 years old or so my parents took me to see a still-working, traditional woolen mill where you could buy bespoke rugs and carpets.

The Beat for Men smells like that mill.

A very heavy lemon and pine floor cleaner smell with overdoses of pencil lead, clove and pepper.

This is being geared towards the youth market I think. But what youth would want to smell like an old fashioned woolen mill?

This has excellent projection and longevity which is a bad thing considering it is so unpleasant. I tried my sample vial more than once but had to throw it away it was so offensive.

blacklibran1's avatar

Wings for Men by Wings

I love this fragrance. i remember walking into JC Penney and seeing the bottle and thinking it smelled kind of unusual..not your typical fresh scent. As time wore on i began to realize and experince the uniqueness of this fragrance and real came to appreciate it. So what if it can be found at Walgreens for cheap. Its clean , potent and long lasting. It reminds me of a good detergent or dryer sheet i used in my child hood. I reach for this almost weekly and never regret purchasing this gem. I love the bottle shape . Very well done.. love it for life. xoxo

SirSlarty's avatar

Brit Red by Burberry

Quite the wonderful "baked goods" style scent. It's a foody fruity sweet with a light powdery note. Some florals round out the fragrance into a special occasion scent.