Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Hackensack's avatar

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I like the very green opening, sharp but pleasant, but that is gone in a flash, in favor of a nice but undistinguished vetiver-musk. BUT this has to have the worst longevity ever. Within a few hours it's nigh on undetectable. If you like this one, spraying it on clothing is the only real option.

Kwerk's avatar

Elements by Hugo Boss

I'll start my review by making one thing perfectly clear: This is my all time favourite scent. Nothing that I'd bought prior to Elements or since has had the same effect on me.

For me fragrance is a deeply personal thing. I've bought scents based on other peoples recommendations that have been awful, and more often than not scents that I've chosen have turned out either by good luck or good taste to be loved to the very last drop. This was the first time I broke open a perfume bottle to extract every last drop from the glass & the vaporizer tube!

I attach fond memories to fragrances, and during the time I wore Elements I was in a particular good time of my life (mid 20's). Smelling this scent brings all of those good feelings right back into my mind.

While I'm not as erudite as many of the reviewers on BN, the two things that I found most endearing about Elements are:

1) Subtlety. I couldn't always smell it on. But from time to time I'd smell something and wonder "what is that amazing smell?" only to realise it was me :-)

2) Longevity. I bought the product as a bundle with the matching shower gel & aftershave balm. In layering I could put it on Friday night, and still recognise the scent on Monday morning. Joop! is the only other fragrance that I've found lasting this long, although with Joop after 3 days I started to get very weary of it; whereas with Elements it was a welcome reminder any time I could still make it out on my skin.

Elements has been unavailable in Australia for the last 5+ years but thanks to BN I managed to find some on eBay and I'm really looking forward to wearing it again, reliving old memories & associating it with new ones. Although this time I'm going to buy up as many bottles as I can get my hands on. I like it that much I could wear it to the grave! (Might have to write that into my will :-P)

darius's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

absolutely Horrible!unless you want to smell like an old man, i think is not the best choice!

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

God, Opium... what are you doing to me?

Is it possible not to be consumed by its beauty? Is it possible to resist? Still one of the sexiest scents ever created, and like the Obsession duo, Opium has a peculiar effect on big felines of the jungle. True story. Maybe I am a lion at heart, since this is truly addictive to me. It makes my lips itch.

You spray some on your wrist, wait 30 seconds, and then rub your wrists harshly to warm up the precious liquid... and then you inhale the warmth and salt of the potion... this is a sin. It must be. The Opium duo is the most glamorous and dangerous girl and boy ever appeared from Paris, seducing one feeble admirer after the other as they move along. And the name, God that name!

The whole thing is criminal.

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

Roses dipped in melted plastic, then polished to a sharp finish... Kind of like modern art, kind of like mundane Chinatown trinkets God knows who actually buys...

There is something very kitschy about Parisienne. Very 'unsettled.' But I like it, since it feels like an adolescent European princess just discovering punk rock or some such thing to that affect. Sophia Coppola could dump this all over her Marie Antoinette movie set while shooting her version of the young and impressionable queen, since the innate lush luxury of the aggressive roses and the interminably cheap artificiality of that plastic-y smell go hand in hand in this bottle - just as how it was in her movie.

It requires some level of youthful aloofness, a keen interest in 'acrylic modernity' and a serious adoration to roses to appreciate this particular edition. If you enjoy a more 'natural' flare in your flowers, do skip this one.

Mania (original) by Giorgio Armani

Sublime creamy creation; so perfected in its character and poise, that Armani should really be ashamed of discontinuing this modern day masterpiece.

This scent is a million times better than Armani's now more 'aspirational' and rather expensive 'Onde' creations, which I lovingly refer to as 'a complete mess of a beauty line'. Maybe the company should repackage this beauty and make her available again, instead of diligently supplying us the efforts of complete mediocrity in the recent years.

The original 'Mania' is fantastic. Her pink sister is not bad, but this one is perfectly creamy and seductively complete.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

When I was in my early teens I picked up a deodorant stick in a department store with a dark brown background and red scrawling letters that read, "Minotaure." At the time I never had any inclination that the line extended beyond this deodorant stick, as I was oblivious to the presence and importance of the scent-scape at the time. However, it remained locked in my memory as the best deodorant stick I have ever found (and I never again did after that time).
    Fast forward about eleven years and my growing infatuation with perfumery leads me to find this was indeed an offshoot of a male fragrance, and a well-received one at that.
    Obviously, I was eager to sample it, and after some time I finally have, and these are my findings:
    Minotaure is comprised of the opening of a classic fougere placed atop a modern style oriental base, which is to say citrus and lavender over vanillic woods and amber. It is the best of both. I have unknowingly been waiting so long to find this scent only to find it has long since been discontinued. Sounds like a bad screen play, doesn't it?
    Minotaure serves as a template for a perfect fragrance: Cross-catagorization, real notes, gorgeous accords, good longevity and sillage, and nostalgia to fuel its romance. It is engraved in my olfactory memory like a favorite film or a chance encounter that changes a life.

Edit: The version of this that I prize above most all other fragrances was distributed by Cosmair, which later became L'Oreal. The one dist. by Luxury Products in the U.S. and Designer Fragrances in Montreal is pathetically weak and has little trace of the floral aspects or the dirty hay accord and is really depressing.

28 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2014)

CoL's avatar

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

I'm amzaed I've missed this for so long, although it is only available in the UK in Harvey Nichols. LOVE this stuff! Again it doesn't smell all that girly to me. This could be that I've been so disapointed with mens fragranaces for so long, I may just be making them fit into "unisex" in my mind so that I don't feel too girly! lol. Anyway, this stuff is beautiful. Trying the parfum at the moment (The edp is following!) as it has been reduced from £155 to £27, hell knows why. Possibly because I think EA have recently aquired the contract. Very fruity, not unlike the top of many mens frags but does have that creamyness I just adore in fragrances. The sandalwood, muskc and patchouli really "ground" what could have ended up being a light and airy "girls skipping in the park" kinda thing which seems to be everywhere at the moment. Maybe this is where I get the unisex vibe from. Anyway, I don't care I LOVE it!

zztopp's avatar

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

Jardin Clos is Diptyque's rendition of an english garden. Void of any forced recreations of tea, biscuits, snootiness and proper mannerisms, Jardin Clos focuses on recreating the spring time aromas wafting through the air..more specifically something green and floral like hyacinths.

Jardin Clos is a Floral Green which composition based on a successful rendering of a prominent hyacinth note. The top is a burst of clear unobtrusive watermelon which rapidly gives way to a huge hyacinth heart with a very secondary sweetish floral lilac note. Make no mistake this is all about the hyacinth though, and a very good hyacinth it is. Its a dense green accord with tiny floral accents..the hyacinth is good enough to make me believe that maybe just maybe Diptyque were able to source some (very rare!) hyacinth absolute, but most likely it is a great reconstruction of hyacinth using quality materials including benzyl acetate, lyral, terpineol and others. Like most diptyque's, the core accord materializes like a monolithic block, and after about 6-7 hours the base makes an appearance, its cedary-balsamic tone, while pleasant, nothing but an after thought.

Jadin Clos is a quality hyacinth fragrance, green enough to be unisex, not overly floral, and typically Diptyque in its focus on a main accord and little else. Some may want more dynamism and complexity in the heart notes, and a clearer 3-tier presentation. But like the Saw movies if you know Diptyque you pretty much know what and how you will be getting what you seek..

Rating: 8.25/10.0

cheryl's avatar

Magie by Lancôme

I believe I have a vintage sample. Maybe many notes have faded over time. I am getting a very refined and pure rose. Not a Chanel rose, no aldehydes or jasmine. There is a resin-y pine note to lift the rose and also a wine note to darken it. So, the effect is middle of summer/middle of day rose. If I use my imagination, I might smell violets in there. It reminds me of Joy (but clearly Rose) or maybe a rose attar (but more balletic). Sadly there is no amber or musk to lengthen the ride...I just have the rose-y middle notes.

30 Roses's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I really did try this with an open mind, realizing some people liked it. Well, it is vile! Blood, salty milk and iodine. My teenaged daughter took one whiff and declared, "I don't ever want to smell that again." And I have to agree with her.

Hilaire's avatar

Ireland Ireland

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

I like a judicious sweetness in my perfumes, and 8 88 has it in just the right amount. It smells just on the tasteful side of bubblegum, and yet has a pungency and aromatic nature which gives it character and strength which sets it apart from the horrid bubblegum and berries confections which are so common these days.

I like the warmth and cleaness of this frangrance, and I love its soft floral heart. It's a great unisex smell for balmy summer evenings.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

I really dont know what to think of this.... There is ALOT of cinnamon going on in this frag, probably to much! This can be overbearing. It reminds me of that chewing gum called Big Red! Does anyone remember that? I dont know if they still make it. At any rate, its not a bad scent but it sure is not good either. Big Red chewing gum is not something I want to smell like.. 5/10

bbBD's avatar

Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi by Caron

Years ago I was working out a swap with someone and I randomly asked for a sample of Les Pois e Senteur de Chez Moi, knowing nothing about it. At the time I wasn't really able to appreciate or grasp its artistry so I filed it away with other Caron vintage samples "to be explored later". A few months later, chatting with my father I learned that my grandmother's one and only perfume was Caron Pois de Senteur. I brought him the sample and my father got teary eyed, the strong olfactory connection triggering memories of his mother. From that point I began my search for a true vintage bottle even though it is still available from Caron boutiques as an urn parfum. Apparently it's a very good seller.

During the months I spent searching for a bottle I caught the vintage perfume bug and have explored the classics of the 20s and 30s, gaining appreciation and context for Pois de Senteur itself. Analyzing PdS, it is a gorgeous ambery floriental - very lush and very full. On opening a sweet but mild amber is immediately noticeable. Amber is soon joined by a delicate melange of floral notes. I've never sought out a note list but I detect rose, jasmine, and I believe lilac - all of which lay under a soft blanket of powdery iris. I may be off with these notes, but what I can definitely attest to is that the floral accord is wonderfully balanced and well blended such that no particular note stands out. There's also a resinous, sticky feel to PdS and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some opoponax in there along with the amber. The floral and amber notes are present throughout the life of the fragrance. From late topnotes through the midnotes the florals stand out a bit more and amber becomes more prominent in the base. Having sought out bottles for some time and having purchase bottles that turned out to have perfume that had turned, I can attest to the fact that different bottles age quite differently. In my searches I've come across 'perfect' examples of this perfume. In its perfect form, PdS gives off tremendous sillage with just a couple drops on the wrist, and longevity easily reaches near 24 hours, with floral/amber aroma hints wafting off the skin for even longer. (note - a common problem with Pois seems to be that it 'thickens' over time, damaging the topnotes and leaving a very amber-heavy base.)

To analyze this perfume in its proper historical context one can immediately recognize how it competed with the original Coty Emeraude and Guerlain Shalimar, the former being closer in aroma to Pois because of its amber/vanilla sweetness. This is a gorgeous, classic floriental in the grand classical French style. If you're not familiar with vintage perfumery and you sample PdS it's probably not going to come off as the show-stopper I'm describing. For those into vintage perfumery I strongly suggest seeking out a true vintage sample.

As I write this, in front of me sits a sealed, mint condition 1920s Baccarat flacon of Pois de Senteur (complete with original box) - the spoils of years of hunting. Both the beauty of the perfume and the connection to my grandmother place it among the most prized bottles in my collection. (Thumbs up)

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Ubar Woman by Amouage

This is the only women's fragrance that I wear. It is really beautiful, and yes, the head notes with all the floral (mainly lily of the valley and bergamot) and the heart with its soft rose, jasmine and extremely polished incense are a bit feminine. However, the base is just amazingly unisex. It has a musky character. What really catches me is the ambery-animalic(civet)-vanilla accord mixed with woods (sandalwood). Somehow my skin turns it into a unisex, sensual smell that I can't have enough of, and with the echo of the lily of the valley and incense somewhere, hardly present but still lingering in there, I have no words to describe it. This is a scent for power women in their 30s and above, and for confident men 25 and above as well. 5 stars! Thumbs waaaaay up! Is there anything else I can give it to make my point! :-)

MeryMer's avatar

Lann-Ael by Lostmarc'h

Well, I usually can't wear sweet/vanilla scents because I make them sickening sweet. However, this sweet scent is done better - sweet not cloying, vanilla-ey not suffocating.

However, It is S W E E T !

The first note smells like sugared almonds. As it warms, the very distinctive cream scent appeared. Milk & honey is balanced with something that reminds me of crisp apples and some other spicy and/or earthy tone I can't put my finger on. It is so subtle all I can detect is that something is balancing the sweetness just a bit.

Overall, it is one of the few sweet fragrances that doesn't make me feel like I am fighting to the death with an orchid flower akin to Audrey Jr!

That being said, I would just never wear this out... It smells like sugar cookies and a glass of milk. Nice enough, but waaay too sweet and not enough depth or spiciness. The only time I could even imagining wearing a scent like this would be to seduce Santa Claus!

MeryMer's avatar

Enlévement au Sérail / FK3 by MDCI

This perfume is really outstanding! It does remind me of vintage Guerlain, without the excessive powdery notes.

It opens with a big blast of very nice citrus. Then the beautiful, high quality florals begin to shine through. While this perfume looks like a rich floral at the surface, just underneath is a thread of something not at all tame or lady-like. There is a hint, just a swift moving tease, of a much more sexy scent. It really is a breathtaking and seductive perfume.

The contrast between carnal and romantic are balanced nicely with the earthiness of the very light touch of patchouli.

Unfortunately, I tame this one down too quickly and it starts to smell like a very nice, expensive floral on me. It was such a disappointment after the sensual chase of the first hour of wear.

I rarely give positive reviews to perfumes I wouldn't wear myself, but this one is really that good. It is exciting, Intriguing, beautifully constructed, and stylish. I just couldn't bear to make this femme fatale into a housefrau.

shamu1's avatar

Vetyver Uomo by Malizia

The cheapo price of this fragrance is deceiving: Malizia Vetyver is one of the best vetivers I've ever smelled, second only to Guerlain's. It is sharp, very dry, bitter, and crisp, and therefore embodies all of the qualities I love about vetiver. This is a REAL vetiver fragrance, unlike Creed's or L'Occitane's vetivers.

Despite the refreshing bright lemon opening, Malizia vetiver comes across as rather dark, even stark, probably due to the fact that there isn't the slightest trace of sweetness in this scent. Dry peppery and woody notes in the background adds depth and complexity to this fragrance, all the while enhancing the potency and prominence of the central vetiver note.

The last vetiver fragrance I'd sampled before getting this was L'Occitane's highly regarded Vetyver. Though technically it was a good scent, it annoyed me with its underlying sweetness, which I feel watered down the vetiver in it. This is not a problem with Malizia. There is no tonka, vanilla, amber or other silliness to water this scent down. I also find that it projects very well, and has good longevity, about 6 hours on my skin.

Malizia Uomo Vetyver is a very worthy purchase for any fan of real vetiver scents. I love it.

MY RATING: 9/10

shamu1's avatar

Bijan Black for Men by Bijan

I can't stand these damn "Black" fragrances. Why call them "black"? Because they're in a black bottle?

Just like other snooze-fests like Perry Ellis Black, Polo Black, Polo Double Black, and other bottles of silliness, this is just a sickeningly sweet, vanilla-laden slog with some soggy patchouli and wood notes that don't smell woody.

Total garbage.

MY RATING: 3/10

jayjupes's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I actually CAN wear this every day.
    And my tastes generally go from cheap to VERY cheap.
    It is indeed symphonic
    moody
    refined but not snobbish

I will buy the extrait
    and it is definitely edging out tabu
    and avon "tomorrow"

It doesn't just have the
    go-to

again

this lady lives to tell

m.francisco's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Pros: Good longevity and excellent projection.

The scent itself is a strange one. I've tried various gourmands, and I really like them. I really like this one too, but I just can't wear it. I smell it and understand the pyramid and breakdown of the notes and all, but regardless, I just end up perceiving it as "this smells like a stack of pancakes with a cup of coffee close to it". Maybe it's just my skin chemistry, but this stuff turns mapley and buttery real quick. I absolutely adore the smell, but I just can't wear this seriously.

The Funktopus's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

Plain and simple, this is a great scent. I think the best adjective to describe this is Energetic. Absolutely perfect for spring and fall. Good for summer but a little sweet for extreme heat in my opinion.

Can't go wrong with Essential. I always find myself reaching for it when I can't decide what to wear. Perfect jeans and t-shirt type of fragrance.

The Funktopus's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I wanted to love this one but I've found that I only like it. To me, this smells like some sort of mixture between lemon cleaner and that Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil. Both of which smell fine enough but just don't work as something I want to smell like.

I absolutely love coconut and I love lemons but somehow this was a near miss for me.

redrose's avatar

Noble by Boadicea the Victorious

Not for me, and I'm really disappointed. Agree with the plasticky comments - veering into acetone for me - and not just unpleasant, but positively disgusting. Maybe I got a sample from a bad batch? Just glad I didn't buy a whole bottle! I can't believe the perfume that Michelle Obama supposedly wore smelled anything like this. Surely there's been a mistake!

Ultramagnus's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Have had this in my collection for several years but have never been able to wear it for more than half an hour.

I keep going back to it as all the positive reviews make me think I am missing something. But each time I try, a wave of harsh lemon and pepper assaults my nose.

If I concentrate hard I can just make out some tobacco but the vicious top notes cause a painful burning sensation in the lining of my nasal cavity (no exaggeration) resulting in a headache.

I just don't 'get' this fragrance and can't believe that there isn't an element of the "Emperor's new clothes" in all the praise it seems to receive. (I consider Ungaro III and Creed BdP to be similarly overrated although I know they are all completely different)

A miserable fragrance with no redeeming features as far as I am concerned.

Ivy Mansion's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

The moment i splashed this on it just smelt offensive. Its a bit too manly and old fashioned for my liking. And that's coming from a 22 yr old guy who loves Old Spice.

Its far too strong. Ill leave this to the thick moustache wearing 60's anchormen.

Chrome by Azzaro

Meh, bought this one blind based on some good reviews but ended up being disappointing. Just nothing special and definitely not something I would want to wear, returned it straightaway. There are so many better ones out there than to settle for this.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I am still new to fragrances in general, but i am glad I made this one of my first. Think I may be spoiled now. This is a legendary house and scent that really does live up to its reputation. I understand the price is quite high, but you can surely tell the quality is there. A very green and classy scent that is timeless and can be worn for any occasion. I look forward to getting some other Creeds and would recommend this to anyone who may be interested. Thanks

The Dreamer by Versace

Hmmm well, I wanted to love this one since so many others are so passionate about it. For me however it is just a bit too feminine. The floral top notes are somewhat overpowering and it can come off as more of a ladies scent to be honest. Definitely a try before buy. Not for me but I can see the appeal for others. Thanks

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Bought this blind based on the many good reviews and i am not at all disappointed. Knew this was a Fall fragrance that is spicy and rich. I had imagined it would smell a bit like burning leaves or Halloween, however it turns out to be more of a Christmas smell. Imagine a pine tree with some nice spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. Very deep and soothing scent. Definitely try this one out. I would think people would either love it or hate it. I personally love it. Enjoy :)